Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E07: Bruce Springsteen, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anna Maxwell Martin, Mo Gilligan, Florence and the Machine

• Start Topic

I wonder what would happen if Graham mixed up the standard couch, and put the British stand-up comedian with a game show next to him, and then the British TV actress I'm not familiar with, then the fairly famous actress with a movie, and then Bruce Springsteen on the end.  I'd like to see it, just to see if the dynamics change.  In addition to watching everyone's head explode.

I thought this episode was back to what I like so much about the show.  I liked Springsteen's story about going home with the fan in St. Louis, although like so many famous people, he's not much of a raconteur.  I thought it was funny that he asked if people knew who Barney the dinosaur was when his story didn't get much of a reaction.  That was not the problem.  😀

When Anya Taylor-Joy came walking out in that outfit, I wondered how in the world she was going to be able to sit in it.  Well, turns out you can sit in it just like you sit in anything else if you have the abs of a 26-year-old former dancer.  Yeow. 

And I always enjoy moments like when it became clear that Anna Maxwell actually watches Mo Gilligan's show.  All in all, delightful, and a deserved red chair flip.

Oh, and Graham's reaction when Springsteen said the fan asked if he wanted to sit with him at the movie.  Graham:  "That's a hard no."

ETA:  How could I forget the rock paper scissors?  If someone blurted out rock paper scissors to me, even when talking about games, I'd be going, slowly, "Huh???"  I couldn't believe how quickly she jumped in. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I liked Springsteen's story about going home with the fan in St. Louis, although like so many famous people, he's not much of a raconteur.   

You're being quite generous.  If the Boss was a regular Joe telling that story in the red chair, he would've gotten the heave-ho.

AMM was a delightful surprise tonight.  I've seen her in very serious fare like Bleak House, The Blechley Circle, and most recently Line Of Duty.  It was so enjoyable seeing her be self-deprecating, professing her love of fish and chips, and her disdain of children.

• Love 3

I didn't mind Bruce's story—he had a different pace than the others.

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

AMM was a delightful surprise tonight. 

Definitely! I'm so used to seeing her buttoned-up. I'm totally with her on fish and chips. When cooked properly, they're an amazing meal.

I've had a couple of meals at very fancy restaurants, and while I was satisfied when I left, a few hours later I was starving. I'm not the target audience for that kind of food, though I appreciate the thought and artistry that goes into making it. But sometimes it's just too pretentious. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Anya Taylor-Joy is a good actress, and she is a good chat show guest.  I do like her movies (see The Menu!). However…she looks like she was created by AI.  I get that she’s a naturally tall, lithe person, but her very small frame, the big eyes and the blonde hair…she looks like some creature from Japanese anime.  She really is other-worldly looking. 

I didn’t mind Bruce’s story telling.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

She really is other-worldly looking.

Yes! I say this almost every time I see her. All she needs is foot-long eyelashes to complete the anime look.

I loved Bruce’s story about going home with the fan. 

• Love 6