Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Storm

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

That was sad, but I think the deaths would've had a stronger impact if we'd seen a bit more of those relationships. We hardly got any reaction after Lucien confessed that he really did love Clémence, we didn't see Ángel and Ramiro's back story, Anker and Iben together much, etc.

I hope we find out why the photo Olek carries around was in one of the inbetween spaces with blood on the ground, and that Maura doesn't turn out to be the one ultimately behind all this. Also, and maybe it's just because I prefer Eyk, but Daniel isn't ringing true to me.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Also, and maybe it's just because I prefer Eyk, but Daniel isn't ringing true to me.

Daniel is the only character that gets on my nerves. And yes, I'm definitely in the Eyk & Maura camp, so that may be clouding my judgement-lol

• Like 2

I'm in the Daniel camp, but that's probably because the only other show I've seen him in (that I know of) went hard on him being the heroic love interest lol

The deaths in this episode didn't hit home for me as much as they could have, probably because this episode also placed so much emphasis on this not being real, and the fact that I know it's still real for the characters couldn't overcome that.

I wonder if the other survivors are going to remember what happened too? I hope so, I love those kind of time loops! Or, since they're in the ship graveyard (/archives), does this mean they'll have to cross over the way Daniel did at the start of the season? I did have a chuckle at the end of the episode when I realised Eyk had been sitting around there the entire time the storm played out.

I wonder what the thing is that was so awful it made Maura want to forget the truth. For a moment I thought Elliot might have died (awful + his hideout is in a grave, and the grave features prominently in Maura's memoryscape) and then possibly been replaced by a construct or some kind of cyborg (he did have the company logo tatooed onto his neck), but he clearly can leave the simulation and none of the people from the outside treat him like there was something substantially wrong with him. Of course, this is supposing this whole thing doesn't have another layer of illusion and the "outside" with the TV screens is a simulation too.

Just had an idea as I typed this - what if the TV room is part of the simulation? And the key stops the simulation, giving whoever was the person who stopped it control over what happens next in the "real" world. If Elliot did die, maybe Maura hid the key because she doesn't want to go back to the real world where he's dead and prefers to live in the fake one where she either doesn't know of him or there's a fake version. Still, that doesn't explain why Daniel thinks it would be bad if TV room guy got the key...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

This Danish family is having the worst trip ever. And I bet they won't even get their money back. Should have gone to Ibiza instead, guys.

Touch-screen tech?? That fits with your idea silverstream that the Bond villain in his 1970s (?) lair is part of the simulation too.

While I enjoyed this episode very much, Maura's father's speech about how they all die every time because they can't get rid of their emotions was the corniest, hackiest dialogue of the whole season. It did a disservice to the performances of all the actors playing characters who died in this episode. The deaths were legit touching and sad.

I liked when they finally cut to MEANWHILE ON THE PROMETHEUS, and the Captain is there just quietly getting drunk as a skunk.

Because the show keeps telling me not to trust it, keeps telling me it's not real, I don't know if I can trust Daniel either...

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/24/2022 at 7:26 PM, silverstream said:

The deaths in this episode didn't hit home for me as much as they could have, probably because this episode also placed so much emphasis on this not being real, and the fact that I know it's still real for the characters couldn't overcome that.

But I don't think it's real for anyone, including the people we think are dead.  I got the impression that they are all rebooted for the next trip to try again.  What I don't get is why Maura's father thinks going through the motions, reliving the loop, without emotions will win the game.  I'm also confused about where he is (is that dystopian landscape another simulation?), what that black crystaline matter is, and what the significance is of the pyramid.

• Like 4

This is my second favorite episode of the season after “The Calling.”

Maura and Daniel’s discussion about the nature of reality reminded me of a lot of other sci-fi I watched. Specifically, this scene made me think of Star Trek Deep Space Nine’s “Far Beyond the Stars” episode, which ends with Capt. Sisko wondering if he and the rest of the show's characters are the fantasy of a 1950’s sci-fi writer. Come to think of it, the whole ship is reminding me of a malfunctioning holodeck-lol

More surreal visuals – from Daniel roaming through other people’s memory landscapes to the latest iteration of the Kerberos moving into the archive. 

Olek just blurting out “Fucking hell” could be another tagline for this show!

The death scenes killed me. Olek getting swept into the ocean, Franz sacrificing himself to save Tove. Hell, I even felt bad for Iben when she and Anker were overtaken by the water. And Angel dying in his lover Ramiro’s arms :::sob::: I know it’s just a simulation, but I’ve lived with these characters for the past 7 episodes, and I’m invested dammit!

Those black stalactite-looking things slowly taking over the ship are creepy as hell. 

I’m still here for the end-of-episode needle drops.