Type keyword(s) to search

Krapopolis - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Krapopolis is a new animated series from “Community” creator and “Rick and Morty” co-creator Dan Harmon and will launch a special preview episode on November 27 at 8:30pm on FOX before the series officially premieres around May 2023.

Krapopolis is set in mythical ancient Greece and centers on a flawed family of humans, gods, and monsters that try to run one of the world’s first cities "Krapopolis" without killing each other.

(L-R): Hippocampus, Shlub, Tyrannis, Deliria, and Stupendous
Krapopolis.jpg
Richard Ayoade is Tyrannis, the mortal son of a goddess who is the benevolent King of Krapopolis. 

Hannah Waddingham is Deliria, Tyrannis’ mother, the goddess of self-destruction and questionable choices. Within her extended Olympian family – forged in patricide and infidelity— she’s known as the trashy one.

Matt Berry is Shlub, Tyrannis’ father, a mantitaur (half centaur [horse + human], half manticore [lion + human + scorpion]). He is oversexed and underemployed, claims to be an artist, and has literally never paid for anything, in any sense of that word, for his entire life.

Pam Murphy is Stupendous, Tyrannis’ half-sister, daughter of Deliria and a cyclops.

Duncan Trussell is Hippocampus, Tyrannis’ half-brother, offspring of Shlub and a mermaid, and a hot mess, biologically speaking.

The show is attempting to fund itself by selling Krap Chicken NTFs or other digital goods, there will be up to 10,420 different Krap Chicken variations and their price will be linked to the cryptocurrency Etherium. Buying a Krap Chicken will allow you access to ongoing experiences and perks, like early access to production materials and voting on what will transpire on the show, allow you to watch exclusive behind the scenes content and have access to live watch parties.  

Krapopolis    September 24, 2023        Fox     8pm   

Episodes 1-2   Titles and Descriptions

S01.E01: All Hail The Goddess of Likability!   
1693820144_header.jpg
When Asskill threatens to attack Krapopolis, Tyrannis tries to use diplomacy to stop him; Deliria decides to build a temple to herself.

S01.E02: The Stuperbowl
1693820361_header.jpg
Tyrannis hosts other kings for a series of games in Krapopolis where Stupendous shines. Deliria makes the games about herself. Hippocampus and Schlub track and catch the cities first serial killer.
Krapopolis_103_TheStuperbowl_1BBDH03_011

• Like 1

Dan Harmon’s ‘Krapopolis’ Draws 3.6 Million Viewers as First Scripted Premiere of the Fall, Highest-Rated Comedy Telecast of 2023

3.6 million viewers tuned in to the first episode

1.8 million viewers stayed for the second episode

It became the highest-rated entertainment program (i.e. excluding sports, news and awards ceremonies) of the week, since it was the first new scripted series of the fall. (I believe because it ran unopposed with no other competition.)

This was the most-watched animation series premiere in the past ten years. Fox is the only broadcaster with primetime animated programming.

• Like 5

"All Hail the Goddess of Likability!". When Asskill threatens to attack Krapopolis, Tyrannis tries to stop him with diplomacy; Deliria decides to build her own temple; Stupendous and Hippocampus give the Asskillians a Trojan horse. 

"The Stuperbowl". Tyrannis plays host to other kings for a series of games in which Stupendous shines and which Deliria makes about herself; Hippocampus and Shlub track down and capture the city's first serial killer.

I enjoyed both eps. Nothing ROFL-funny, but I'm willing to see how this develops. 

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 5

S01.E03: Wife Swamp

Krapopolis_102_WifeSwamp__001_140_221026

Tyrannis returns from a quest with his girlfriend, only to learn that Deliria set him up to look like a hero; Hippocampus, Stupendous and Shlub fight - then befriend - the species of wolves.

Premiere Date: October 1, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 

Yvette Nicole Brown as Herophile
Daveed Diggs as Carrots

Krapopolis-episodic.jpg

• Like 1

"Wife Swamp". Tyrannis returns from a quest with a girlfriend, but it was all a setup from Deliria to make him think he's a hero. Hippocampus, Stupendous, and Schlub fight and then befriend the species of wolves.

I enjoyed this one, especially the dog story. Man's best friend, eh? 

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Yvette Nicole Brown as Herophile

Wait, her name was Herophile? Bwah ha ha! 

• Like 2

I watched the first 3 episodes today, and I think that's where I'll stop. The main problem with this show is that not one character is likeable. In fact, most of them are actively horrible. Whoever voices the mantitaur is doing a terrible job, every line they say annoys me with that style of pronounciation they use. And it is just not funny. 3 whole episodes and it did not even make me smile once, but it did succeed in making me feel aggravated by it's stupidity. It's a shame as I love mythology, I wish this could have been better.

• Like 1

This has a kickass voice cast and Dan Harmon has a lot of good will left in me from Community, so I'll give this a shot. The first few episodes are still clearly finding their feet but there is potential here. 

Being a Greek mythology nerd, I can confirm that the Greek myths are just as, if not more, ridiculous than this show is. 

• Like 3

S01.E04: Prometheus

KRAPOPOLIS-Season-1-Episode-4-Prometheus

Tyrannis and Hippocampus release the only god they like, Prometheus, from his eternity on the rock, only to find he’s friends with Deliria. Shlub takes Stupendous to the cyclopes island to find her dad.

Premiere Date: October 8, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 
Ben Stiller as Prometheus 

Krapopolis_104_Prometheus_1BBDH04_CLR_PL

Krapopolis_104_Prometheus_1BBDH04_CLR_PL

Next New Episode: October 22, 2023   

On 10/6/2023 at 1:37 PM, tennisgurl said:

Being a Greek mythology nerd, I can confirm that the Greek myths are just as, if not more, ridiculous than this show is. 

Yeah Shlub is pretty typical in how horny the gods were. Mostly Zeus. Even though he's a manticore.

17 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Tyrannis and Hippocampus release the only god they like, Prometheus, from his eternity on the rock, only to find he’s friends with Deliria. Shlub takes Stupendous to the cyclopes island to find her dad.

The character design threw me a bit until I realized that she's a cyclops. She didn't lose an eye, she never had a second one.

• Like 3

This was the first ep I've liked so far.

I'm here wondering if Stupendous is actually half giant, mostly because her nose doesn't look like any the Cyclops had.

I hope we see Heracles again, doing his labors even though someone already did them for him.

"Prometheus". Tyrannis and Hippocampus release the only god they like,
Prometheus, from his eternity on the rock, only to find he's friends with
Deliria. Shlub takes Stupendous to the cyclopes island to find her dad.

I liked this one. I thought it was funny how Prometheus turned out to be a jerk whose real motivation for giving fire to mankind was to piss off Zeus. I thought Stupendous had lost an eye, not born a cyclops (or half of one) with a lopsided eye.

• Like 2

This show is finding its footing - the B plot of episode 3 with the wolves had me laughing out loud,  and so did Prometheus. High hopes that it just keeps getting better. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I liked this one. I thought it was funny how Prometheus turned out to be a jerk whose real motivation for giving fire to mankind was to piss off Zeus.

And that it made him popular with the gods because he pissed off Zeus...then abandoned him when he got punished. It tracks for mythology.

• Like 4
On 9/25/2023 at 10:14 PM, Galileo908 said:

Oh absolutely. He's talking to nobody, and his chemistry with other people is a big factor of why he works so well.

Now picturing him in the booth delivering his lines with Clem Fandango offering him notes on his line readings.

"...YES!" 😀

• LOL 3

S01.E05: 12 Angry Goat Herders

Krapopolis_105_12AngryGoatHerders_11BBDH05_008_110_230829_f.thumb.jpg.c06f8d6595f3d5bcb3f478d199779f3b.jpg

Tyrannis creates a court system in order to absolve Shlub of a goat eating crime he didn’t commit. Hippocampus creates a sprinkler system for Killass in order to get back at Deliria.

Premiere Date: October 22, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 

"12 Angry Goat Herders". Tyrannis creates a court system in order to absolve Shlub of a goat-eating crime he didn't commit. Meanwhile, Hippocampus creates a sprinkler system for Killass in order to get back at Deliria.

I enjoyed this one (loved Jane Lynch playing the Sphinx). I think this show has found its footing.

S01.E06: Woods-stock

1696948112_header.jpg

Tyrannis becomes the life of a party in the woods, summoning the god Dionysus. Deliria and Shlub explore their open relationship at the Parthenon.

Premiere Date: October 29, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 

Stephanie Beatriz as Daphne

ybzq0Gb3jljaHvsvQiw3lkNcqst.jpg

Daphne had no business being that good looking of a character.

I liked that there's another manticore, also voiced by Matt Berry. And he's horny for Deliria. 

I did like how Tyrannis's superpower of being a boring stick in the mud party killer ended up saving the day.

"Woods-stock".  Tyrannis becomes the life of a party in the woods, summoning the god Dionysus. Deliria and Shlub explore their open relationship at the Parthenon.

Good one! Yeah, Dionysus parties were killer.

S01.E07: Please Demeter

poster.jpg

Tyrannis begins dating the goddess Demeter and is given an option at immortality that Deliria squashes. Stupendous and Hippocampus go to Hades to retrieve Stupendous' shield from a fallen foe.

Premiere Date: November 5, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 

Susan Sarandon as Demeter

"Please Demeter". Tyrannis begins dating the goddess Demeter and is given an option at immortality that Deliria squashes. Stupendous and Hippocampus go to Hades to retrieve Stupendous' shield from a fallen foe.

I didn't enjoy this one as much, probably because I don't like Susan Sarandan. I appreciated the callouts to Greek mythology.

S01.E08: Big Man on Hippocampus

hprnkX9jY9zo3NPGtvfGis03nx9.jpg

When Hippocampus is ostracized for his unconventional appearance, Tyrannis takes him to a science convention where he is finally appreciated for his intellect. When her friend is turned to stone, Stupendous enlists the help of Deliria who is determined to turn him back and prove she is better than Athena.

Premiere Date: November 12, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 
Chris Hardwick as himself
Steve Buscemi as Hephaestus
d7049992d190302ae910d26855ea5e47

Okay, Chris Hardwick is an immortal cursed to host all convention panels until the end of time. That explains how he can voice himself.

I liked the continuity of Hippocampus being the one to pick Hephaestus's lock. And Heracles "freeing" Prometheus!

Volcon charged a chicken to enter, yet sold eggs. They really nailed conventions.

I loved that a Redusa was a woman with a snake head and human legs, with human hair, who turns to stone once it looks at a statue. That was clever.

"Big Man on Hippocampus". When Hippocampus is ostracized for his unconventional appearance, Tyrannis takes him to a science convention where he is finally appreciated for his intellect. When her friend is turned to stone, Stupendous enlists the help of Deliria who is determined to turn him back and prove she is better than Athena.

Not as good as some of the previous eps, but I did laugh at the painted giant being forced to pretend to be a robot who everyone ignored.

• Like 1

S01.E09: Dungeons and Deliria

krapopolis-1014x570.jpg

Tyrannis struggles with a ruling dilemma when a citizen is ejected from a bar for wearing newly invented pants. Meanwhile, Deliria wreaks havoc on Stupendous’ secret quest, only to end up in trouble with a titan. While hunting a monster, Hippocampus ends up sparring with a tree nymph.

Premiere Date: November 19, 2023       Fox       8:30pm 

Stephanie Beatriz as Daphne
Michael Urie as Hermes
David Cross as Mage
Will Forte as Campos

p26020694_e_h9_aa.jpg

Next New Episode: December 3, 2023     

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1

So Will Forte invented pants. 

I was glad to see Daphne again.

"Intriguing little bitch." So all of Deliria's kids want to distance themselves from her, so Stupendous goes on DnD quests to be her own person. Makes sense. And of course Deliria gets all of Stupendous's adventuring buddies killed by a titan.

The Monsterdon had a cool design, but, uh, there's aliens in this show now.

• Like 1

"Dungeons And Deliria". Tyrannis struggles with a ruling dilemma when a citizen is ejected from a bar for wearing newly invented pants. Meanwhile, Deliria wreaks havoc on Stupendous' secret quest, only to end up in trouble with a titan. While hunting a monster, Hippocampus ends up sparring with a tree nymph.

I'm not sure if it was me, but I had some technical difficulties watching tonight. This one was OK, I guess, but I liked seeing the wood nymph again.

S01.E10: Ty's Tail Tale
m77O6emRcokNkPQzt6nF0UsVR1R.jpg

When Tyrannis is possessed by his deceased grandfather who rules with fear and a large scorpion tail, Shlub must fight to bring back the old Tyrannis. After Hippocampus and Stupendous bring a pregnant pegasus home, they release a range of mythical monsters to control the pegasus babies that terrorize the city.

Premiere Date "New TIme": December 3, 2023     Fox       8pm 

1701167050_header.jpg

Next New Episode: December 17, 2023    

Tyrannis JUST NOW realized that he's not a full human? He's the son of a shapeshifting goddess and what I'm sure is a manticore, I'm surprised a tail was all he grew. 

The Pegasus plot was a lot more disturbing than I expecting. Unicorns are baby pegasus (and are birth by eggs in bee-like hives), and killing the mother kills all the unicorns. Okay then.

• Like 1

"Ty's Tail Tale".  When Tyrannis is possessed by his deceased grandfather who rules with fear and a large scorpion tail, Shlub must fight to bring back the old Tyrannis. After Hippocampus and Stupendous bring a pregnant pegasus home, they release a range of mythical monsters to control the pegasus babies that terrorize the city.

I guess we really should have wondered why Tyrannis doesn't look like his parents before now. The description of the Pegasus story was incorrect, but I do enjoy the twists on what we know about classic mythology.

• Like 2

S01.E11: Tyrdra

IMG_4218.jpeg

Tyrannis invites a suicidal Hydra to come live with him and his family; everyone grows to love her, but Tyrannis comes to regret his decision when she accidentally embroils Krapopolis in chaos.

Premiere Date: December 17, 2023    Fox       8pm 

Next New Episode (Possibly): January 7, 2024 

Tyrannis is obsessed with validation. He truly is Deliria's son. 

I liked how Camille the Hydra was the show's take on introducing smart phones/the internet with all of her interconnected heads. That was hnestly a clever idea. Complete with social media, online dating, conspiracy theories, and incels.

"What do you want?"
"Love, the making of it!"

I honestly loved that the whole episode led to the origin of Cancer (the constellation) The Crab (the public lice) and how the tangent involved the death of Carrie Fisher and why fall comes after summer. 

"Tyrdra". Tyrannis invites a suicidal Hydra to come live with him and his family; everyone grows to love her, but Tyrannis comes to regret his decision when she accidentally embroils Krapopolis in chaos.

I did not expect this to be an allegory of smart speakers and social media! Well done! The epilogue about constellations being stars billions of miles away and seemingly randomly placed and how people got confused by the Cancer the Crab and Crab (Public lice) constellations. Also, the nod to the ending of one of the Rocky movies was amusing.

18 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I did not expect this to be an allegory of smart speakers and social media! Well done!

And teaching Camille to lie created an algorithm, which is what ruined everything in the end. That was honestly clever.

• Like 2