Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/14/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

There have been more boosters, the latest was new around Sept. and there was another one that you may have missed (depending on age). It may also depend on your age, ask at your local pharmacy.

Here in Ontario we're on the fourth booster now.  I was actually scheduled to get mine and then caught Covid.  Dammit.  So can't get in until January (you are supposed to wait at least 3 months after having Covid apparently).  Anyway it's so much easier to get now.  I remember the first one was fraught with anxiety in terms of scheduling one.  Now as you say you just make an appointment with your local pharmacy.  I guess it's to the point where it will become just like getting an annual flu shot.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

What did the ladies mean by "3rd booster"? I had my two initial doses summer 2021 and one booster this past January. Haven't heard of other boosters. As far as I'm concerned I'm up-to-date 

The third one targets Omicron but works with the other strains too. I had this booster but caught Covid anyway. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Blissfool said:

What did the ladies mean by "3rd booster"? I had my two initial doses summer 2021 and one booster this past January. Haven't heard of other boosters. As far as I'm concerned I'm up-to-date 

I'm in the USA, up to date on my vax, & had an additional booster this early fallfor Covid variants/omicron.  I'd recheck w/a pharm/dr., if I were you.

Edited by Oneofem
accuracy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FIRST...I missed the early part of the show where the ladies walk out because of local "breaking news.  So, this is my question:  At about the 5:42min mark on my DVR, when Joy finishes her "joke" about Security keeping fans from leaving former President Trump's announcement last night, Alyssa is shown on camera.

1.  Is her skirt exceedingly short?
  2.  OR...is she wearing one at all?
  3.  I see her gorgeous left leg...and most of her thigh--really high.
  • Love 1

Ha - Alyssa's skirt was only a few inches above her knee as she walked out today, but when she sat down ... Brought back memories of my fav holy roller, Mrs. Bitsy (who sometimes hitched her miniskirts even higher, the better to display her best feature.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Some things I liked in today’s show :

Joy saying, the former prez is like a “defeated Mussolini “ and his party “ is trapped and they can’t get out .”

Ana saying, “he belongs in the big house not the White House” and we should fight like hell to make sure “he’s nowhere near the presidency ever ever ever again.”

Sunny saying, last time, the media made the disgraced, twice impeached former prez more and more famous, so this time we should “pay attention to the criminal, if he’s indicted, but let’s not pay so much attention to this guy who’s trying to grift and make money off the presidency.”

And The Lion King puppets, of course!

Edited by Oneofem
Typos
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Sarah's probably my favorite person on the panel right now (possibly tied with Ana) but OMG, she is soooooo weird about her dogs!  Worrying that when she got a second dog she might not love it as much as her first dog?  Who worries about that?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The interview with Julie Taymor and display of the puppets was wonderful. I had the privilege of taking my kids to see the show maybe 20 yrs ago and the opening song still makes me cry. It is utterly profound and beautiful. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Sarah's probably my favorite person on the panel right now (possibly tied with Ana) but OMG, she is soooooo weird about her dogs!  Worrying that when she got a second dog she might not love it as much as her first dog?  Who worries about that?  

It's usually the dog who worries you won't have enough love for them if you get another one.

As somebody who had to go through IVF at 35 for their first child, I wish people (Sunny) would stop talking about egg freezing as a way to preserve fertility. It’s a false sense of security. First, eggs are much more fragile than embryos and have a higher chance of not surviving the thaw. Second, the amount of eggs you have doesn’t mean anything. I had 11 mature eggs harvested. Out of those 11 eggs, 9 fertilized but only 2 made it to freeze, one of which I miscarried. If I had been younger, maybe more embryos would have been viable but how many 30 year olds have 10k on hand for egg harvesting?

In other news, John Leguizamo is such a sweetie. He used to live in my grandma’s building and I have some funny stories.

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, rwlevin said:

As somebody who had to go through IVF at 35 for their first child, I wish people (Sunny) would stop talking about egg freezing as a way to preserve fertility. It’s a false sense of security. First, eggs are much more fragile than embryos and have a higher chance of not surviving the thaw. Second, the amount of eggs you have doesn’t mean anything. I had 11 mature eggs harvested. Out of those 11 eggs, 9 fertilized but only 2 made it to freeze, one of which I miscarried. If I had been younger, maybe more embryos would have been viable but how many 30 year olds have 10k on hand for egg harvesting?

In other news, John Leguizamo is such a sweetie. He used to live in my grandma’s building and I have some funny stories.

Honestly, from everything Sunny's said about her fertility struggles, I doubt her trying to conceive younger would have helped.  Thirty isn't old to have a baby, so if she was having trouble conceiving at 30, chances are she would have had trouble trying to conceive no matter what her age.  If she'd started trying at 40, then yeah, you're more likely to have problems but the big dip in fertility happens around 37 for most people, not 30.  Even then, it varies so much from person to person.  Sara didn't start having her kids until 38 and I don't think she had any trouble conceiving at all.  

• Thanks 3
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I missed the early part of the show where the ladies walk out because of local "breaking news.

Speaking of that, I thought sure Sarah was pregnant when they walked out.  She was wearing a very tight outfit and there was a pooch there.  I guess she just ate a big breakfast, but wow, I would've sworn she was going to make an announcement today.  Glad to see I was mistaken.  She's got enough with three little ones to wrangle.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:33 PM, Jaded said:

I don't care that he served as Vice President to a delusional tyrant. Pence himself is an asshat and that's putting it nicely. I'm sure he didn't expect what happened on Jan 6th. Having said that he knew what he was getting into in terms of Trump's behavior because it had been on display for the world to see for years before he won. Google these words Pence HIV Outbreak Indiana Felony. 

This. 👏👏👏

Not much of note to say about today's show other than it was a good one. I agreed with Ana that we shouldn't treat Trump too lightly. Sunny actually had the funniest moment to me, rare for her, when she was talking about how she and Manny spent all of their savings going through round after round of IVF: "That's why I always say they literally owe me everything." 😄

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

There have been more boosters, the latest was new around Sept. and there was another one that you may have missed (depending on age). It may also depend on your age, ask at your local pharmacy.

I got mine last week shopping at a grocery store. I’d scheduled it  first available at a pharmacy which  was weeks out , then  while grocery shopping the there was announcement they were available. Nurse checked my card and said ok this will be your 5 th vaccine. Huh? I guess so.  I haven’t gotten it either , my family and grandkids have but 2 best friends who work with the public haven’t  either.   I’m seeing people wearing masks in stores again.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, from everything Sunny's said about her fertility struggles, I doubt her trying to conceive younger would have helped.  Thirty isn't old to have a baby, so if she was having trouble conceiving at 30, chances are she would have had trouble trying to conceive no matter what her age. 

She may not have TRIED to make a baby at age 30.  She said her husband is younger and he was on the path to becoming an orthopedic surgeon.  Maybe she started trying closer to 40 ... and "they" hadn't been examined to see if there were any potential problems.

For some women who are having babies into their 40s, it's often because they've already had a couple; for some reason those eggs seem to remain healthy if their little buddies have been sent to work.

21 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

She may not have TRIED to make a baby at age 30.  She said her husband is younger and he was on the path to becoming an orthopedic surgeon.  Maybe she started trying closer to 40 ... and "they" hadn't been examined to see if there were any potential problems.

For some women who are having babies into their 40s, it's often because they've already had a couple; for some reason those eggs seem to remain healthy if their little buddies have been sent to work.

Sunny got married at 30 and had her kids when she was 34 and 38.  With her oldest, she's said they tried for years before resorting to IVF (she also had multiple miscarriages), so I'm fairly sure they started trying soon after getting married (I read Sunny's memoir earlier this year but can't remember all the details).  

• Love 1

Re Sarah’s pooch - I’ve noted that several times recently.  Maybe preggers or possibly just normal after birth body wreckage (Sunny’s right - those brats OWE 😉). Or more brilliant fashion choices from their award winning stylists.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, rwlevin said:

As somebody who had to go through IVF at 35 for their first child, I wish people (Sunny) would stop talking about egg freezing as a way to preserve fertility. It’s a false sense of security.

My daughter's story is pretty much like yours.  8 eggs harvested, only 4 were viable, 3 were miscarried.  The last one took.  I think people generally have a false notion that IVF is simple and will almost always result in a healthy pregnancy.  It's not.  It can be heartbreaking every time it fails because you know your chances are diminished each time.

7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

She's got enough with three little ones to wrangle.

Sara seems to be running ragged with 3 little ones.  She even said she was glad to return to work.  (Remember she was the only one in studio for a long time during covid.)  I don't think she could handle a fourth child.

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Speaking of that, I thought sure Sarah was pregnant when they walked out. 

I thought the same thing. That dress did her no favors.  

9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Not much of note to say about today's show other than it was a good one.

As I keep saying the show is miles better when Whoopi isn't there.  She is such a drag on the show I don't know why TPTB don't see it.

8 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

(I read Sunny's memoir earlier this year but can't remember all the details).  

I also read Sunny's memoir and the one thing I do remember is she was on bed rest with Gabriel. Strict bed rest.  She wasn't allowed to do anything. She had a much easier time with Paloma.  

• Love 5

good show again, no conflict, and it flowed smoothly thanks to joy.

why don't they, if there are only 4 of them there, move their chairs closer together? they don't all fit on my screen this way

i love sara but did she get a super strong dose of botox on her lips? 

A shame Sunny couldn't be there for the Gurira interview. I loved Gurira as Michonne on The Walking Dead long before Black Panther, but she was a standout in the latter, too.

Alyssa was surprisingly truthful about McCarthy's razor-thin majority and how that means he'll be controlled by a fringe for their every whim. I agreed with Joy that that will most likely backfire on them in the end.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
15 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Alyssa was surprisingly truthful about McCarthy's razor-thin majority and how that means he'll be controlled by a fringe for their every whim. I agreed with Joy that that will most likely backfire on them in the end.

It will backfire but unfortunately we will have to put up with their nonsense for the next two years.  

It's been over 20 years since I have been to a concert. Mostly because of ticket prices.  There isn't anyone I want to see that justifies the ridiculous amount of money they charge for tickets nowadays. Add in parking and even before Covid my distaste for crowds I am content to listen to music in the privacy of my home and car. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Haleth said:
16 hours ago, rwlevin said:

As somebody who had to go through IVF at 35 for their first child, I wish people (Sunny) would stop talking about egg freezing as a way to preserve fertility. It’s a false sense of security.

My daughter's story is pretty much like yours.  8 eggs harvested, only 4 were viable, 3 were miscarried.  The last one took.  I think people generally have a false notion that IVF is simple and will almost always result in a healthy pregnancy.  It's not.  It can be heartbreaking every time it fails because you know your chances are diminished each time.

Since the topic is brought up often, maybe they should do a segment on it.  Rather than saying "expensive," they should show a chart of the various procedures ... and the costs in different regions of the U.S.  Maybe other countries too.  THEN there are those IVF hormone shots and the ramifications.  They just toss off "freeze your eggs," and IVF as if EVERYONE can do it...and AFFORD it!   Tell viewers the good, bad, and ugly.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
12 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Since the topic is brought up often, maybe they should do a segment on it.  Rather than saying "expensive," they should show a chart of the various procedures ... and the costs in different regions of the U.S. 

My daughter in law had a tubal ligation before she met my son.  She had it reversed in the summer of 2021.  They traveled out of state for the surgery because it was less expensive in a state over 500 miles away. Even with travel expenses it was still cheaper.

So yes anything related to infertility or just pregnancy in general can have a wide range of prices in different places.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

A shame Sunny couldn't be there for the Gurira interview. I loved Gurira as Michonne on The Walking Dead long before Black Panther, but she was a standout in the latter, too.

I have a different take.  I think because the GOP has a razor-thin majority, they need to be more bipartisan and not appeal to the fringe... something the Dems needed to do when they had a razor thin majority and didn't.

It was nice not having Sunny nor Whoopi on today.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It was a pleasure to hear Alyssa speak without being interrupted by Sunny. Regardless of what she says, I appreciate the opportunity to disagree, on my own, after Alyssa’s thoughts are fully articulated. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I have a different take.  I think because the GOP has a razor-thin majority, they need to be more bipartisan and not appeal to the fringe... 

That would require a strong Speaker who can control the fringe.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

good show again, no conflict, and it flowed smoothly thanks to joy.

Sarah wore what seemed to be pale pink lipstick today, which doesn’t translate well on the tv screen but can appear to enlarge the lips. With her new shorter haircut (wig?) and kinda mushy looking mouth today, at some angles she resembled 76 yr old Diane Sawyer.  Sarah only “needs” minimal makeup; I dislike her recent, often overdone, eyes.

Joy, otoh, would benefit from a slightly paler and glossier mouth instead of that dark, harsh, matte gash (my sole criticism of the amazing J!)

Both interviews were great, but would anybody recognize Garth B. sans hat?   Vanity, thy name is not always woman.

1 hour ago, Glitches said:

It was a pleasure to hear Alyssa speak without being interrupted by Sunny. Regardless of what she says, I appreciate the opportunity to disagree, on my own, after Alyssa’s thoughts are fully articulated. 

Posting this again because it's important!  We know that Sunny is VERY accomplished and VERY smart.  Sadly, she's trying to prove it to Alyssa.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I do hope Sunny didn’t catch Whoopi’s Covid. 

Same here, but she did sound congested all last week, and I wondered if it was allergies or a cold.

44 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

We know that Sunny is VERY accomplished and VERY smart.  Sadly, she's trying to prove it to Alyssa.

I couldn't disagree more about the last part (bolded mine).

• Love 1

And heeere she goes again with the “Inflation and lower gas prices” as the reason why the Republicans won the House. Really, Alyssa? I didn’t hear anything about how their plan or how they’re going to do it from that clip from McCarthy. Nothing about domestic issues. Just acting like a mean girl with that remark about Pelosi.

Joy had it right as to the reason.

And I always get a giggle when she says she doesn’t caaare. I’m still waiting for the return of the “So Whaaat? Who Caares?” phrase/come back

Whaaat?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, Oneofem said:
9 hours ago, cinsays said:

Sarah wore what seemed to be pale pink lipstick today, which doesn’t translate well on the tv screen but can appear to enlarge the lips.

We did see a side view of Sara.  I think that rather than Botox, she may have used a "plumping" lipstick.  Her top lip did "pooch out" a bit.  I bought a lipstick a few years ago--not realizing it had a "plumping feature."  That stuff BURNED LIKE HELL.  I decided I must be allergic to whatever "plumps."  I'll stick to Burt's Bees.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
22 hours ago, Glitches said:

It was a pleasure to hear Alyssa speak without being interrupted by Sunny.

Since you replied to me, I'll just say... She hasn't been interrupted by Sunny for several weeks, as far as I recall, instead she was the one doing the interrupting for a while there until the day she attacked Sunny and Sunny put her in her place.

Joy looks a bit like Lainie Kazan today. Sara sounds so dumb talking about how they "need" young people in charge when, as Alyssa pointed out herself, young voters just came out for them in droves. Sara is just coming across very fake to me this season.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sara sounds so dumb talking about how they "need" young people in charge

How about we have people in charge who know what they are doing?  Don't care about age.  

7 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sara is just coming across very fake to me this season.

I generally like Sara but you are right.  This season she doesn't always seem like herself.  She is an ABC team player so maybe someone behind the scenes suggested she play a role.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 2

On that "very important topic" of women dating more than one man ... like THREE!  OH.MY.GOD.THREE!   Not once did they mention how many women the men might be dating at the same time.  Are two sad sacks really sitting at home pining away because That One Woman is out with Man No. 3? 

I got married in 1964 but hadn't been "sleeping" with anyone.  I went out 2-3 nights a week with guys because they asked me.  Some liked to dance (I loved to dance).  Some liked the movies (I got free passes).  Some took me out to dinner (these days I wonder why I never! never offered to pay--it didn't enter my mind).  There weren't any serious relationships where any of us were considered "cheating."  I also had girlfriends to hang out with, but they were fewer and fewer.  We were Good Catholic Girls, so most of them had 2-3 kids by the time I got married (almost 24).  STILL...I had two younger sisters to hang with.  DATE AROUND!  GET AROUND!  These days "having sex" is almost expected, so I didn't have too much pressure in that area.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 11/17/2022 at 7:34 PM, Back Atcha said:

We did see a side view of Sara.  I think that rather than Botox, she may have used a "plumping" lipstick.  Her top lip did "pooch out" a bit.  I bought a lipstick a few years ago--not realizing it had a "plumping feature."  That stuff BURNED LIKE HELL.  I decided I must be allergic to whatever "plumps."  I'll stick to Burt's Bees.

Burt’s Bees Watermelon is my mainstay - still a fan of the “natural “ (ha) look.  And thumbs up for days of semi-yore, when dating around, having fun sans pressure of expected sex, was typical!  

• Applause 2
3 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Burt’s Bees Watermelon is my mainstay - still a fan of the “natural “ (ha) look.  

Mine was FIG...but I haven't been able to find it.  Burt's said that ULTA has "Shimmering Fig," so I found that on eBay.  Not. The. Same. At. All.   I'm 82 and "natural" has looked best on me for most of those years.  I've seen Watermelon; guess I'll try it.   I'm pasty white and my hair is shiny white.

3 hours ago, Oneofem said:

And thumbs up for days of semi-yore, when dating around, having fun sans pressure of expected sex, was typical!  

Yeah, if I felt too much "pressure," I'd just act like they were silly.  I also didn't drink, so that was a benefit.

• Wink 1
22 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Mine was FIG...but I haven't been able to find it.  Burt's said that ULTA has "Shimmering Fig," so I found that on eBay.  Not. The. Same. At. All.   I'm 82 and "natural" has looked best on me for most of those years.  I've seen Watermelon; guess I'll try it.   I'm pasty white and my hair is shiny white.

Yeah, if I felt too much "pressure," I'd just act like they were silly.  I also didn't drink, so that was a benefit.

"Watermelon" is perfectly descriptive. I've seen "Fig" in Seattle, not recently though.  And if found, I recommend it for JOY B.!!

• LOL 1