Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Norwegian Tussle

• Start Topic

I'm glad Kyle is gone. I don't think I could have taken a whole season with him. Rather he go than Nathan. What is it about Texans? (No offense to anyone from Texas.) From my own experience - admittedly anecdotal - they seem to be aggressively prideful about being from Texas, as though it were some monumental achievement. Or a separate country unto itself they're absurdly patriotic about. In Kyle's case, anyway, he seemed to be using it as an excuse for his behavior. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Love 13

Bye Kyle!

I was wondering if maybe the Captain should try switching the bunks for the next charter while looking for a replacement.

Then you wouldn't be a man down waiting for when (not if) Kyle misbehaves again and be ready.  As it is, the remaining deckhands bear the brunt of the punishment with extra work, while Kyle does a cheerful Texas two-step out of here.

My Mom was raised in Houston, met my Air Force Dad and escaped north😎.  The attitude is just like you see on TV.  He went on to fly for PanAm.

• Love 1

This was planned out, a quick exit for Kyle, resulting in a charter where the crew is undermanned.  They had a car and a hotel room ready for him.

Who knows, maybe he agreed to a short stay going in and was going to raise hell as much as he could.

They sure have the BD template down, of course the crew is going out and there is going to be friction between the crew as the drinks flow.  The one deckhand who'd worked on large ships said they'd go weeks or months before the crew could do shore leave, which makes sense since those vessels could be out at sea for long periods.

But these "super yachts" are going on at most 2-day charters, probably within an hour cruise to port.  So that means the crew gets to party every couple of days, not necessarily their choice.  They have to dress up and go somewhere, have a good meal but drink a lot so that they produce entertaining footage.

They "fired" him based on his threats but he really was getting all up on Kasie.

Oriana is too preoccupied with rank.  Said she signed a deal to be second stew but the chief stew made her and Kasie equal, because that will lead to more drama, since Oriana thinks she's better than Kasie, whom she scorns for putting on an accent she didn't have when they previously worked together.

Kasie says American accent is boring and she's a little bit of everything (ethnically) and her accent may change.

OK lets see some more of the fjords, less of the crew drama!

Fat chance of that.

• Love 5

Wow I wonder how many people are watching this. It could be a good show if we saw more of Norway and less of the crew drinking and acting up. Anyway happy the Texas guy was fired. What an ass.

So far was have had the obligatory stomach virus that Below Deck treats us to at he beginning of each season and once again engine failure with the ensuing panic. 

• Love 5

Oriana:  who cares if Kasie's faking an accent or not?  (I think if she were faking it altogether, she'd be more consistent, even if it was a bad fake).  My dad has picked up pronunciations, etc., in different places he's worked in all over the world, and then goes back to his original.  I mean, I know Kasie likes it and isn't trying to stop having it, and maybe is putting it on a little bit, but...who cares?

Glad that Kyle's gone.  

I think it's funny that Kelly's GF didn't like working for him!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Like the Quote of the Episode from Oriana regarding the crew – “It’s just a bunch of horny single dudes trying to figure out who they are”, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast…

Lewis – you’re just too nice, mate.  You will be eaten alive by Kyle and his ilk if you don’t get it together.

And I know it’s early in the episode, but it’s a bit of a dick move, Lewis, to tell Kyle he’s the “obvious choice” for First Deckhand, when you yourself said you have no intention of doing that.

Not buying the whole fake-drama of engine lost while docking (though they did lose an engine).  There is more rubber on the walls and dock than in a condom world’s fair and it didn’t look like there was any real danger.  Looked like a smooth and easy docking, despite trying to portray Kyle as the “savior of the line toss”.

So with a tip of $20K @ $1,667 per person that’s 12 people.  We typically see 9 (1 Captain, 1 Chef, 3 Stew, 4 Deck) and after the 2-second appearance of Engineer Toni explaining why the engine went down, there are still 2 people we haven’t seen yet.

Kyle, you have a troubled history, no doubt, and you’re obviously able to do the work on deck, but you’re headed for disaster and a very unpleasant life if you can’t reign it in (see what I did with a cowboy reference there?).  You are still a little kid craving attention and you need to grow up.

Lewis is putting the moves on one of the locals (much to Oriana’s chagrin).  But “Nice Lewis” is still rather awkward.  “I can show you the boat but I can’t take you on board – it wouldn’t be professional.”  I’m sure all the girls will melt with an attitude like that.  What’s next?  “I’d make love to you, but I can’t take my clothes off – it would be unprofessional.”  Sheesh.

It was interesting to see Jess go into the town and get some provisions herself.  I don’t recall seeing any other chef do that in the franchise.  It’s a beautiful town, and it’s nice to see more of Norway on display.

I do feel a bit bad for Kyle – he has potential, but he does need to grow up.  I can’t help but wonder if we’ll see him again.

It was obvious from the start that Kyle and Nathan didn’t mix well.  Nathan really should have gone to Lewis before the Captain, but we've already seen Nathan doesn't really have a lot of respect for Lewis (see "too nice" comments above).  With Kyle gone, will Nathan have a problem with anyone else?  Or am I just paranoid?

What will happen next week?  Will the junior stews keep it together?  Will the deck crew keep it together?  Will Jess keep it together?  Will Kyle become a pirate?  Stay tuned, if you remember to tune in next week.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

From my own experience - admittedly anecdotal - they seem to be aggressively prideful about being from Texas, as though it were some monumental achievement. Or a separate country unto itself they're absurdly patriotic about.

To be fair, Texas *was* a separate country for a while.  Texas was an independent Republic from 1836 to 1846 (when it joined the Union).  It was officially recognised by several other nations.

3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

So far was have had the obligatory stomach virus that Below Deck treats us to at he beginning of each season

I can attest that this is a real thing.  A couple of times going from one part of the world to a very different part, I had stomach problems and the type of poo that goes along with it.  I saw a doctor about it and he said I had "traveler's gut" --  my digestive system had to adjust to the local bacteria.  Sure enough, after a couple of days, everything was fine.

• Useful 3

Kerry handled Kyle BRILLIANTLY — recognizing his ability, but giving him no second chances and allowing him the opportunity to start fresh someplace else with a clean record. I’m glad Kerry nipped that in straight in the bud.

Kyle was given a huge, undeserved break, but I doubt that asshole will learn from it. Glad he’s gone. 

I found Lewis to be totally outrageous. He is about the weakest bosun I have ever seen. It was clear he was intimidated by Kyle and tried to cover that up by being his bro — Nathan was right. Lewis, Kyle was a walking, talking liability to the yacht and a disaster waiting to happen. Did you not see that at the restaurant and bar, and did you not pick up on that when Nathan went right over your head to Kerry about Kyle’s behavior? It makes no difference how skilled Kyle is. None. You revealed a lot about yourself in your TH that you don’t like being strict with your crew. Well, sometimes you have to be — it’s called being a supervisor. If you’re not comfortable with that, well, you can get off the boat too.

And then there was the obligatory engine failure. Every BD season and franchise has at least one.

Got nothing on the stews but that there’s obvious trouble a’brewin’ between Oriana and Kasie. The grocery was cool. 

38 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

Like the Quote of the Episode from Oriana regarding the crew – “It’s just a bunch of horny single dudes trying to figure out who they are”, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast…

Lewis – you’re just too nice, mate.  You will be eaten alive by Kyle and his ilk if you don’t get it together.

And I know it’s early in the episode, but it’s a bit of a dick move, Lewis, to tell Kyle he’s the “obvious choice” for First Deckhand, when you yourself said you have no intention of doing that.

Not buying the whole fake-drama of engine lost while docking (though they did lose an engine).  There is more rubber on the walls and dock than in a condom world’s fair and it didn’t look like there was any real danger.  Looked like a smooth and easy docking, despite trying to portray Kyle as the “savior of the line toss”.

So with a tip of $20K @ $1,667 per person that’s 12 people.  We typically see 9 (1 Captain, 1 Chef, 3 Stew, 4 Deck) and after the 2-second appearance of Engineer Toni explaining why the engine went down, there are still 2 people we haven’t seen yet.

Kyle, you have a troubled history, no doubt, and you’re obviously able to do the work on deck, but you’re headed for disaster and a very unpleasant life if you can’t reign it in (see what I did with a cowboy reference there?).  You are still a little kid craving attention and you need to grow up.

Lewis is putting the moves on one of the locals (much to Oriana’s chagrin).  But “Nice Lewis” is still rather awkward.  “I can show you the boat but I can’t take you on board – it wouldn’t be professional.”  I’m sure all the girls will melt with an attitude like that.  What’s next?  “I’d make love to you, but I can’t take my clothes off – it would be unprofessional.”  Sheesh.

It was interesting to see Jess go into the town and get some provisions herself.  I don’t recall seeing any other chef do that in the franchise.  It’s a beautiful town, and it’s nice to see more of Norway on display.

I do feel a bit bad for Kyle – he has potential, but he does need to grow up.  I can’t help but wonder if we’ll see him again.

It was obvious from the start that Kyle and Nathan didn’t mix well.  Nathan really should have gone to Lewis before the Captain, but we've already seen Nathan doesn't really have a lot of respect for Lewis (see "too nice" comments above).  With Kyle gone, will Nathan have a problem with anyone else?  Or am I just paranoid?

What will happen next week?  Will the junior stews keep it together?  Will the deck crew keep it together?  Will Jess keep it together?  Will Kyle become a pirate?  Stay tuned, if you remember to tune in next week.

I think Lewis was trying to keep Kyle on his good side. I think Lewis may be a bit over his head here.

• Like 3
  • Love 7

I want to know who paid for the food and drinks. I know on other shows, it’s been the crew that pays for itself on nights out. But Norway is expensive! I would bet each cocktail is in the $20 range, entrees are probably around $100. They can blow their whole tip each night out.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Kyle doesn’t get a clean record.

His behavior is on tape and there will be a lot of social media reactions and clips.

So while the captain didn’t put something on his nautical record, charter companies can find the clips if he should ply for more yacht charter jobs.

Thats why I wouldn’t be surprised if this was scripted with his agreement.  Then he can tell employers it was contrived for the show.

• Love 2

He said his mother was accused of stealing a horse and was in prison because of a "white lie." But last week he said his mother was "in and out of prison." So did she get accused of horse stealing every time she got out of prison? Hmm. Kyle might not be seeing this objectively.

It was interesting to see Jess go into the town and get some provisions herself.  I don’t recall seeing any other chef do that in the franchise.

We have, but I can't remember if it was Ben or Rachel. Maybe it was both.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but when the crew came back from the night out and back to their cabins.... Nathan was upset about camera flashes, and Kyle was naked in bed with a blurred out area with his hand presumably holding his dick, and taking dick pics I assume. This pure assumption, but that is what it looked like to me. I wonder if he sent it to the woman he met while they were out partying?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, nokat said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but when the crew came back from the night out and back to their cabins.... Nathan was upset about camera flashes, and Kyle was naked in bed with a blurred out area with his hand presumably holding his dick, and taking dick pics I assume. This pure assumption, but that is what it looked like to me. I wonder if he sent it to the woman he met while they were out partying?

Yep. That was exactly what he,was doing. Gross. He was very aggressive with those women at the bar, I thought, too. Just trouble all around.

Kyle was beyond disrespectful to Nathan in that cabin from day one. I wonder if Kerry saw the footage of him threatening to “mess up” Nathan’s “pretty face”? That’s more than just a “tussle.” 

5 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

Episode three and I’m already bored.  Think I’ll wait for the OG.

I’ll give this a few more episodes, but it is off to a slow start. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, RoseAllDay said:

Kyle was beyond disrespectful to Nathan in that cabin from day one. I wonder if Kerry saw the footage of him threatening to “mess up” Nathan’s “pretty face”? That’s more than just a “tussle

I have my thoughts on why he was so disrespectful of Nathan. Leaving pee and poo in the toilet, and complaining about Nathan asking for simple courtesy. Way more than a tussle.

• Like 4
  • Love 12

"Cowboy up."  No, cowboy out.  OK, now I get what you're hinting at, nokat and RoseAllDay.  I really hated that wussy bosun after Kyle "resigned," going around telling everyone to make sure they say goodbye to Kyle.  What the actual fuck, man.  You can't force people to give respect to someone who deserves none.  Just because you were afraid of him means nothing to others.  I was proud of the deckie who told Kyle to his face that he was a jackass.

The previews looked interesting and scary.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Oosala said:

I really hated that wussy bosun after Kyle "resigned," going around telling everyone to make sure they say goodbye to Kyle.  What the actual fuck, man.

I hated that too. He was a bigoted asshole, why should they act all brokenhearted and hug him? I'd say fuck off.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Oosala said:

"Cowboy up."  No, cowboy out.  OK, now I get what you're hinting at, nokat and RoseAllDay.  I really hated that wussy bosun after Kyle "resigned," going around telling everyone to make sure they say goodbye to Kyle.  What the actual fuck, man.  You can't force people to give respect to someone who deserves none.  Just because you were afraid of him means nothing to others.  I was proud of the deckie who told Kyle to his face that he was a jackass.

The previews looked interesting and scary.

Again, Lewis is a crap bosun. All he needed to do was tell everybody that the scum was leaving. (Really, though, he didn’t need to say anything other than to his crew  — let Kerry tell everybody else.)

Can you imagine the shitshow that would have ensued if Kyle had stayed on, the way Lewis was kissing his ass? Even at the restaurant/bar Lewis was imitating Kyle with the women.

Kyle reminded me so much of Dane in BD season 3. Immature and dangerous. Dane lasted just about as long, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but when the crew came back from the night out and back to their cabins.... Nathan was upset about camera flashes, and Kyle was naked in bed with a blurred out area with his hand presumably holding his dick, and taking dick pics I assume. This pure assumption, but that is what it looked like to me.

It's astonishing to think he'd do that knowing he was on camera for the show, but maybe he was too drunk or too stupid to remember. Or both.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, nokat said:

I have my thoughts on why he was so disrespectful of Nathan. Leaving pee and poo in the toilet, and complaining about Nathan asking for simple courtesy. Way more than a tussle.

Yeah he was a racist POS and I’m glad he’s gone but wish he was fully fired. Kerry didn’t know the extent of what Kyle did to either Nathan or Kasey or in front of guests for that matter. I bet if he did he would have fired and yelled at him. But Kyle downplayed it. 

Lewis is the worst kind of doormat, he’s the kind that will stand idly by when others are bullied by someone he sees as cool or alpha. I don’t mind the other deckhand (Mike or Mark?) from what we have seen. The two stews suck in their own unique ways but I love the no nonsense chef. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, racked said:

Yeah he was a racist POS and I’m glad he’s gone but wish he was fully fired. Kerry didn’t know the extent of what Kyle did to either Nathan or Kasey or in front of guests for that matter. I bet if he did he would have fired and yelled at him. But Kyle downplayed it. 

Lewis is the worst kind of doormat, he’s the kind that will stand idly by when others are bullied by someone he sees as cool or alpha. I don’t mind the other deckhand (Mike or Mark?) from what we have seen. The two stews suck in their own unique ways but I love the no nonsense chef. 

He really should not be in close quarters with anyone. He may have been good at the job, but he's a horrible person.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, racked said:

Kyle was a dick to most of the crew in the short 3 days he was on board.  I don't think he is picky on who is an asshole to or who he was rooming with.  They would have had the same issue.  Kyle looks like a guy that would leave the toilet looking like a crime scene every time he uses it.

• LOL 1

Kyle is such a waste. Add him for drama?  What a stupid idea and the person who thought of that should be fired now. He is a POS and has no redeeming qualities.  Lewis for you to even think Nathan should have come to you with how you have acted so far shows you have no business being a bosun at all.  The captain even mentioned Kyle to Nathan on the first episode as to what he would do and he did it. How many heard what Kyle was saying to Nathan and they didn't say or mention anything after he was fired. They looked shocked?  Ooh who will teach them to line dance .  Kyle is gone...shut down the season.  

Kyle got off lucky with the Capt to allow him to resign.  He threatened the bosun first episode, he was told about his mistake with docking and blew it off, he aggressively hit on the fake accent stew, and he was aggressive with Nathan from the start, and finally threatened him with violence.  That all allowed him to resign with nothing on his record?  Yeah that was for the show.  No way he ever gets a job yachting again. Why is this allowed?

Only good thing about this show is the views.  

• Love 7
On 11/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, 65mickey said:

Wow I wonder how many people are watching this. It could be a good show if we saw more of Norway and less of the crew drinking and acting up. Anyway happy the Texas guy was fired. What an ass.

So far was have had the obligatory stomach virus that Below Deck treats us to at he beginning of each season and once again engine failure with the ensuing panic. 

And next week we get the obligatory deck crew/interior fight over help with service. In four episodes, I think BDA has covered just about all the plot devices from all the franchises — a bad deckie, a firing, docking mishap, illness, shorthanded staff…

They need to find new material. This is getting to be recycled, boring drama. I’m still giving it a fair chance, but weeks or months of this?  Nope.

• Like 2

I guess they want to have at least one BD show on the air all the time and now they overlap as well.

Also way more episodes than scripted shows which only have 10 episodes at most in a season, at least in the streaming era.

So you get 15-20 episodes for each BD season.

Ugh, glad I never fell into that Real Housewives rabbit hole.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, aghst said:

I guess they want to have at least one BD show on the air all the time and now they overlap as well.

Also way more episodes than scripted shows which only have 10 episodes at most in a season, at least in the streaming era.

So you get 15-20 episodes for each BD season.

Ugh, glad I never fell into that Real Housewives rabbit hole.

I think Bravo is taking a big gamble and it may bite them in the ass. They've saturated the network with BD shows, hoping all the fans love it so much that they can't get enough.  But, based on these forums, it's just making many of us apathetic toward the entire franchise. Part of the fun of watching a show is anticipating the start of a new season. Bravo has dulled that experience. Plus, the repetitive storylines are extremely obvious when they're happening on two BD shows at the exact same time.

• Like 3
  • Love 3