Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Thunderstruck

Bort
  • Start Topic

On the heels of life-changing news, a thunderstorm hits Grey Sloan. The attending surgeons and interns work together to save an injured reporter and family affected by the storm. Meanwhile, a beloved author undergoes a risky surgery, and complications from the storm arise.

Airdate: 10 November 2022

I think the most shocking thing in the episode was that no one died. TBH, I was expecting the female intern who is not Griffiths or Raised by Hippies to find Adams had died by suicide. Didn't the commercial tease that something shocking was going to happen to someone? I guess Meredith's house partly burning down was supposed to the big shocker. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

What part of this was a crossover with Station 19? The patient?

I'm glad Nick was allowed to call Meredith out. They aren't married and she isn't obligated to him, but especially considering he came to Seattle for her and is working at Grey-Sloan, it's not nice of her to up and move to Boston without even talking to him about it, and especially him finding out in an impersonal email with the rest of their coworkers. At least she told Maggie and Amelia beforehand.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm glad Nick was allowed to call Meredith out. They aren't married and she isn't obligated to him, but especially considering he came to Seattle for her and is working at Grey-Sloan, it's not nice of her to up and move to Boston without even talking to him about it, and especially him finding out in an impersonal email with the rest of their coworkers. At least she told Maggie and Amelia beforehand.

Did Nick find out about the move via the email? I thought in the conversation at the house Meredith implied he already knew and wasn't thrilled about it. 

I only heard him complain about finding out Adams was her nephew at the same time as everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I think the most shocking thing in the episode was that no one died. TBH, I was expecting the female intern who is not Griffiths or Raised by Hippies to find Adams had died by suicide. Didn't the commercial tease that something shocking was going to happen to someone? I guess Meredith's house partly burning down was supposed to the big shocker. 

Yes! The ads said something akin to "say goodbye to one of their/our own." I kept waiting for someone to die. Is the house "one of their own"? Did someone die on Station 19?

Edited by JeanJean
1 minute ago, JeanJean said:

Yes! The ads said something akin to "they lose one of their own." I kept waiting for someone to die. Is the house "one of their own"? Did someone die on Station 19?

Carina DeLuca's girlfriend/wife collapsed at the end of the episode and hit her head on the floor and the episode ended with no one finding her because the Station 19 crew got called to a fire. That's it. Carina was even in this Grey's episode and there was no follow-up.

• Useful 2
18 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

Yes! The ads said something akin to "say goodbye to one of their/our own." I kept waiting for someone to die. Is the house "one of their own"? Did someone die on Station 19?

I mean the house has been around since the Start. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I think the ads said “tragedy strikes one of our own”… I would guess that the one of our own was Meredith, and the tragedy was having her watch her house (that she also lived in as a young child) burn down.

I really hope that they don’t give Teddy the Chief job.

Edited by PrincessTT
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I just looked up the trailer for this episode; it was "tragedy strikes [long pause] one of our own." So losing everything in a house fire is pretty tragic...though Mer has been through worse. At least she's not on a dream-beach while fighting the effects of smoke inhalation or something.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Blue's sad backstory does not make me think better of his obnoxious self.

When is Adams going to be tested for ADHD? When will Amelia?

The show likes Teddy a lot more than I do. Not only does Yashuda sing her badass praises, Owen wants her to be Chief.

On the subject of liking more than I do, Teddy/Linc. This dance they're doing is unpleasantly painful to watch. Also Jo, don't shop when the ER is slammed.

Mind blown when Richard said that he was assigning attendings to help Schmidt. Shouldn't that be the other way around, attendings giving Schmidt the orders?

48 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Did Nick find out about the move via the email? I thought in the conversation at the house Meredith implied he already knew and wasn't thrilled about it. 

I only heard him complain about finding out Adams was her nephew at the same time as everyone else.

I thought he also complained that she didn't tell him about the move before she sent out the email. That's why he was put on the spot so much when Richard asked him if he was moving too.

He is in Seattle only for Meredith. She's such a narcissist to think only of herself and Zola. I noticed that at the end, she was cuddling Zola, leaving Bailey and Ellis to be comforted by Winston and Maggie, people the kids will now lose.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Carina was even in this Grey's episode and there was no follow-up.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out who the third woman was at the clinic's Grand Opening photo. I thought that might be her but wasn't sure since she doesn't seem to be around this season (and I don't want Station 19).

13 minutes ago, izabella said:

Almost everybody lived in that house at one time or another.  Including Ghost Denny!  😄

And Doc.😢

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, izabella said:

Including Ghost Denny!  😄

Whatever happened to Denny's clinic?  They made such a big deal of it for a while in the early seasons, then they just kind of forgot it existed. 

For all the hype, it was a pretty "meh" episode.  Aside from Meredith's house semi-burning down, very little seemed to happen.   

• Like 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

For all the hype, it was a pretty "meh" episode.  Aside from Meredith's house semi-burning down, very little seemed to happen.   

For all of the 'angst' about Lucas outing himself as a Shepherd, the reveal (such as it was) was lackluster in that none of the interns cared that much, at least not from what we were shown.

I guess Link has been living with Jo all of this time in Jackson's former loft?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Carina DeLuca's girlfriend/wife collapsed at the end of the episode and hit her head on the floor and the episode ended with no one finding her because the Station 19 crew got called to a fire. That's it. Carina was even in this Grey's episode and there was no follow-up.

I assume the fire they got called to was the one at Meredith's house?

39 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I just looked up the trailer for this episode; it was "tragedy strikes [long pause] one of our own." So losing everything in a house fire is pretty tragic...though Mer has been through worse. At least she's not on a dream-beach while fighting the effects of smoke inhalation or something.

She didn't lose the post it vows note. When Maggie found it and said she wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the move, I was sure it was going to accidentally get destroyed. But no, it was the one thing she saved.

31 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I thought he also complained that she didn't tell him about the move before she sent out the email. That's why he was put on the spot so much when Richard asked him if he was moving too.

He is in Seattle only for Meredith. She's such a narcissist to think only of herself and Zola. I noticed that at the end, she was cuddling Zola, leaving Bailey and Ellis to be comforted by Winston and Maggie, people the kids will now lose.

In the opening scene at Meredith's house (right after she sent the email), Maggie asked Meredith how Nick was taking the news and she said they weren't talking about it, in a way that suggests he was upset. Then Maggie said Mer should stay home so they could avoid their men problems together. So it seemed pretty clear he already knew. I also thought their argument sounded like he had known for awhile and had been stewing about it.

He was mad she took the job without talking to him, and torn about what to do, but I feel like if he had found out in the email with everyone else he would have mentioned that in the list of things he was annoyed about.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

What part of this was a crossover with Station 19? The patient?

The patient from the helicopter crash (Teddy/Owen/Amelia/Link’s patient), and Carina (formerly a recurring/regular as an OB on Grey’s but now a 19 regular) with Bailey opening the clinic, and Ben and another 19 firefighter at Mer’s house.

I did finally give in and start watching 19, but I’m grateful the “crossovers” no longer require watching both to get the plot - they’re stand-alone shows (…also far better for Netflix and streaming/syndication) with just character overlap. It’s so jarring to be on ancient episodes sometimes and hit one where wait, what’s going on, and you have to go find a summary or the right episode of the Private Practice episode that served as Part I.

7 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I think it was “tragedy strikes one of their own” (the house 😭), but one 19 character did end that episode with a head injury and no one to find her and I’m sincerely hoping, but less optimistic since it didn’t happen on Grey’s already, that she might be killed off.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Something I don’t think has been mentioned yet…the Maggie/Winston argument.  He tried to explain that as much as he loved cardio, he loved her more.  She couldn’t relate. She’d never give up cardio because it is her passion.  Then he told her she was his passion…. And she said something about how that was ridiculous or she couldn’t relate or something…I can’t remember exactly.   But it likely hurt him a lot.  But then there was the fire and the conversation wasn’t resolved, but I think there will be after effects now that Maggie has made it clear that Winston will always come second to her job. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Also Jo, don't shop when the ER is slammed.

That had me so annoyed. So she came down to help in the ER because they were extra busy during a huge storm, but because Schmidt wasn't sufficiently effusive in his gratitude she's gonna sit at the nurse's station and shop for baby clothes while patients go untreated? I had a word for her during that scene but I'll keep it to myself.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She didn't lose the post it vows note. When Maggie found it and said she wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the move, I was sure it was going to accidentally get destroyed. But no, it was the one thing she saved.

I know (I was totally expecting a sad inside shot of the fire consuming the post-it), but even if the whole thing doesn't go up in smoke, a lot of her stuff is likely to be destroyed by water damage. It might be one of the few sentimental items (that and probably her mom's notebooks, and the house itself) she would care about. Everything else is "just stuff" and it's not like she can't afford to replace it. Of course, she'll have three traumatized kids instead of just the one, now. But I guess we won't see much (or any, probably) of that. 

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Something I don’t think has been mentioned yet…the Maggie/Winston argument.  He tried to explain that as much as he loved cardio, he loved her more.  She couldn’t relate. She’d never give up cardio because it is her passion.  Then he told her she was his passion…. And she said something about how that was ridiculous or she couldn’t relate or something…I can’t remember exactly.   But it likely hurt him a lot.  But then there was the fire and the conversation wasn’t resolved, but I think there will be after effects now that Maggie has made it clear that Winston will always come second to her job. 

She was bugging me, too. She's not even listening to him. And it's not like he's up and leaving Seattle, or even the hospital. Earlier in the argument I couldn't tell if her issue was that he was leaving her short-handed in cardio, or that she felt he didn't want to work with her, specifically, and was taking that personally. But no, it's because cardio is the only specialty worth practicing, apparently (I guess the rest of the vascular system that the heart is pumping blood through doesn't matter?), even at the expense of your marriage, and if your husband actually values you and your marriage more, it makes you lose respect for him. Stupid.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Does Seattle have some kinda of special killer lightning?
I have heard of someone being struck my lightning, let alone multiple people at once.

There actually was a case in Washington DC in August where four people were struck (a married couple and two other people who happened to be near them; they were near a tree); only one survived.

• Sad 5
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Those two should never have gotten married. Maggie is too emotionally stunted for marriage.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

There actually was a case in Washington DC in August where four people were struck (a married couple and two other people who happened to be near them; they were near a tree); only one survived.

I remember that. I also remember a story of lightning striking a soccer match in, I think, Chile and it killed a lot of people on the field.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

When Winston told her she was his passion, she told him she didn't think she could respect that. 

That conversation was really brutal.  I felt terrible for Winston.  Maggie is a cold, cold woman.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of the end for them.  Maggie is who she is and isn't going to become a warmer person who prioritizes Winston and her marriage higher than she does.  That leaves Winston in a cold marriage where he knows he will always be an afterthought for her.  Why would he want to live like that?

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

I don't think this "Blue" thing is going to stick. I know he said people called him that in the season opener, but thus far no character on this show has called him anything but "Kwan." 

That had me so annoyed. So she came down to help in the ER because they were extra busy during a huge storm, but because Schmidt wasn't sufficiently effusive in his gratitude she's gonna sit at the nurse's station and shop for baby clothes while patients go untreated? I had a word for her during that scene but I'll keep it to myself.

Does the show want us to hate Jo? Or are they trying to prop Schmitt? I can't believe how badly she came off in this episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'm glad Nick was allowed to call Meredith out. They aren't married and she isn't obligated to him, but especially considering he came to Seattle for her and is working at Grey-Sloan, it's no of her to up and move to Boston without even talking to him about it, and especially him finding out in an impersonal email with the rest of their coworkers.t nice At least she told Maggie and Amelia beforehand. 

Ha! That's my girl! being Meredith to the very end.

Derek was her one and only love. Period. Soul mates and all that. I've always got the feeling she "likes" some of the men she has been with since Derek died -- but none of them she has loved. and therefore in Meredith's world - they are sort of after thoughts. 

So the Grey house has burned down. Wow. Symbolic. That tells me that once Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) is gone -- she ain't coming back! The end.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, taanja said:

So the Grey house has burned down. Wow. Symbolic. That tells me that once Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) is gone -- she ain't coming back! The end.

It's a perfect vehicle for Ellen Pompeo's reduced presence on the show.  But I have to admit, I thought for sure that something would happen that would keep her in Seattle.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I'm glad the Post-it was saved. 

I am too, but my question is how, though?  Maggie found it and put it on a shelf by the door of that room.  Then the lightning struck and the kids yelled and they ran out of the room.  I'm pretty sure that was Zola's room, on the third floor.  Did she grab it as they ran out?  I didn't see her do that.  Or did she really run all the way back up to the third floor after discovering the house was on fire to get it?  She said they just got out as soon as they realized.  Sorry, but sometimes small details like that bug me.

As for the rest of the episode, I was amused that Amelia still had to specifically say that she and Adams were not now nor were ever having sex, even after their familial relation was explained.  Kwan's one-liner was good.

Teddy will make an awful Chief.  If Bailey doesn't come back, Owen should get it when his license is reinstated, I guess.  He's the best option of the ones who are left.  It won't be Maggie or Amelia, and Link doesn't seem the type to want it.

Is Meredith going to leave and Nick's going to stay?  Ugh.

I can understand why Richard said that Schmidt was in charge and needed attendings - because Schmidt was acting like the intake nurse and not a doctor actually seeing patients.  He was just the cruise director while he needed doctors to actually steer the ship.  I didn't understand his beef with Jo, but she's annoying me lately.  I also don't understand her relationship with Link.  I don't think I'll be happy until he and Amelia get back together.

I think there's a chance that much of Meredith's house will be saved.  Andy said they were doing everything they could, and they only showed flames from the top floor, not completing engulfing the whole house.  Television magic could go either way here.

ETA: I also watch Station 19, and think that Maya has turned into an awful person lately.  Not that I ever really liked her, but she's horrendous lately.  I missed some episodes last season, so I don't know exactly what turned her so awful, but I didn't care that she was the one to fall and hit her head.  The show would be better without her, but I doubt she'll die.  I think her injury and Meredith's fire were what the promo was talking about.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Yeah, that was really bad. He said he was fine changing jobs for her and she said she'd never give up her career for him. Um, that's not a great thing to say to your husband that you care more about your job then him. Don't marry someone if you feel that way.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Of course, she'll have three traumatized kids instead of just the one, now.

Three traumatized children who are going to need the support of the adult caregivers that they know and love: Amelia, Maggie, Winston, Linc and maybe some others like Bailey.  And probably therapy for all. But I'm not putting any money on Meredith using this as anything but a justification to do what she wants to do.

Zola doesn't just need a new school -- she needs to know that the adults that she depends on will be around for her. It's about loss, not academic challenge. And now that she's lost her home and her comforting possessions, she's going to lose Maggie and Amelia too, two of her support people that she went into a panic attack about losing. Meredith never should have had children because she never puts them first.

1 hour ago, taanja said:

Derek was her one and only love. Period. Soul mates and all that. I've always got the feeling she "likes" some of the men she has been with since Derek died -- but none of them she has loved. and therefore in Meredith's world - they are sort of after thoughts.

It's one thing to have a love that no other person will match. It's another to keep getting into relationships with men who think that she is or can be serious about them, have them fall in love with her, and then treat them like old newspapers that she can throw out on a whim.

13 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I can understand why Richard said that Schmidt was in charge and needed attendings - because Schmidt was acting like the intake nurse and not a doctor actually seeing patients.

This show has never valued nurses. Or indeed any doctor other than a surgeon.

1 hour ago, izabella said:

That conversation was really brutal.  I felt terrible for Winston.  Maggie is a cold, cold woman.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of the end for them.  Maggie is who she is and isn't going to become a warmer person who prioritizes Winston and her marriage higher than she does.  That leaves Winston in a cold marriage where he knows he will always be an afterthought for her.  Why would he want to live like that?

Winston isn't even asking her to prioritize him -- he's asking her to let him prioritize her by moving away from his first love into vascular where they won't fight with each other. And she tells him that she can't respect him for that, for putting her ahead of his career.  Wow.

I wonder if it's the Ellis in them that Meredith and Maggie won't put someone else ahead of themselves.

Jo, Maggie, Meredith, they all came off badly in this episode.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Richard should be Chief, IMO. The revolving door of leadership has gotten overly ridiculous, and I know the show has been on for nearly two decades, but I say let the man who started it all be in charge. With better planning, Miranda Bailey - who was being primed under Richard's wing since the very beginning - should've been given the promotion to Chief toward the end of the series as Richard retires...but since there hasn't been an end in sight, I guess that would be too hard to plan. 

Regardless, no thank you to Teddy as Chief. They really laid it on thick this episode with praising her leadership. And I laughed out loud when Owen said he wanted it. No, sir! A plane crashed under your leadership because you were trying to cut cost for the hospital budget, your services are not needed. 

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I hope we're done with the Grey House and that the fire rendered it uninhabitable.  Freeloaders Amelia, Maggie and Winston can find their own places to live. If the show is going to go to the lengths to set fire to the house as Meredith makes her move to Boston, then let this be a real fresh start and cut ties with that space completely. And maybe that is tptb's intention. Or maybe the show is going to pick up in three months and the Grey House got a facelift. I say let it go. It belonged to a Grey's Anatomy that no longer exists. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I don't understand why he doesn't just take a job at Seattle Pres or another local hospital so he won't be working for his wife, which is where he's feeling the tension in their relationship.  Why go through all the trouble of re-certifying in another field? 

I like Winston a lot and appreciate the fact that he is prioritizing his marriage over his career.  I also like that he's being proactive - he's not waiting until the marriage gets bad, he's acting NOW before things become too bad to repair. 

However, it doesn't matter how hard HE's working at the marriage if his partner fundamentally disrespects him and refuses to communicate with him.  Maggie took a day off work to hide from him, then acted like she was putting him into a time-out until he came around to her way of thinking.  When he insisted on talking anyway, she didn't like what he was saying, so she didn't pull any punches when she responded - and I don't know if they can come back from what she said, even if she apologizes for it (which I don't expect her to do). 

I agree it might be the beginning of the end for them.  I'm okay with that because he deserves better.      

• Like 4
  • Love 8

This was a good episode but a mediocre mid season finale.

Even with the loss of Meredith’s house. Which felt really unnecessary and underwhelming to me, tbh. I didn’t expect to feel sentimental about it, but it’s been there since the first episode and outlasted even Meredith’s closest friends and family. Torching it just as she’s about to leave the city is overkill imo. Like I’m glad they managed to save the post it but I really just wish they’d just left the house alone.

Kinda like how I wish they’d just left Maggie and Winston alone.

I know drama is the point of this show but it doesn’t work for everyone and Maggie and Winston are a perfect example of that. To me, it’s less that their marital issues feel contrived and more that they never really had a great love story so the emotional payoff from this plot isn’t worth it. It all just feels very, ‘well duh?’ They got married after 5 minutes of dating (sure, they’d known each other for years but they never sold that undeniable chemistry needed to anchor that whirlwind lovers storyline, even at the beginning) and now they’re realizing that not only are they professionally incompatible, they’re also in completely different places romantically.

Maggie’s response to Winston telling her she was his passion was cold—she was more excited about that post it than she's been about their entire relationship, if that wasn’t a clue that she isn’t madly in love I don’t know what is—but not exactly a revelation to anyone who’s spent even a day with Maggie. She’s definitely in the wrong here and I feel bad for the guy but this is a character that wholly lacks self awareness and she’s been this way since day one. I’ve seen a lot of people call Maggie immature and that’s definitely part of it but she’s also self absorbed; her inability to see things from other people’s point of view unless it’s spelled out for her is a major problem and something the show doesn’t seem to want to ease up on after all these seasons. Still, I like her a lot; she’s a realistic portrayal of a kid genius turned stunted adult and her being so dorky and unyielding is very endearing to me. But as a partner, she’s definitely a lot. If I was Winston I'd cut my losses and move on because how do you get back from that? He said she was everything and she all but told him to get real and grow up??? LOL. Staying after that? Couldn’t be me.

But he’ll probably stay. Or cheat his way through it, as is the Greys tradition. Speaking of cheaters, Owen and Teddy were actually okay in this episode. Yasuda’s #girlboss speech was a bit much but seeing Teddy become, even for a moment, the brilliant surgeon she was back when she was first introduced on the show was great. I don’t know if one day of bickerless competence makes her chief material, but if more work means less time spent on her failing marriage then I’m all for it  

Meredith and Nick and their issues though. Can’t say I’m at all invested in that relationship but I don’t mind him as a character. He’s good with the interns—I’m liking Jules and Blue as a unit way more than I expected and Lucas and Simone (who finally kissed, so misunderstandings and heartbreak are otw lol) continue to be cute—and a good teacher which they definitely need because Schmitt isn’t cutting it.

Speaking of, whatever that was with Schmitt and Jo was annoying. Jo isn’t charming enough to pull off being that insufferable so her whole bit was eye roll including.

I did like ‘gratitude is implied though’, I’ll be stealing that.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 7

At the house, the kids wanted to watch the lightning.  When Maggie made them go back in, Zola quoted some sort of stat to prove it wasn’t dangerous.   And the later the middle kid came running past, saying they were going to watch the lightning, followed not much later by the strike.  I really thought that one or more of the kids would be injured because Zola thought she knew better about watching lightening, and then they could all deal with that trauma too.  

• Like 2

I think the issue with Maggie and Winston is going to end up being that that she isn’t in love with him. I feel for him but to be honest the character is such a non entity that I could easily see him being written out by the end of the season. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Three traumatized children who are going to need the support of the adult caregivers that they know and love: Amelia, Maggie, Winston, Linc and maybe some others like Bailey.  And probably therapy for all. But I'm not putting any money on Meredith using this as anything but a justification to do what she wants to do.

Zola doesn't just need a new school -- she needs to know that the adults that she depends on will be around for her. It's about loss, not academic challenge. And now that she's lost her home and her comforting possessions, she's going to lose Maggie and Amelia too, two of her support people that she went into a panic attack about losing. Meredith never should have had children because she never puts them first.

You bring up a good point. Say what you will about Meredith's parenting and her being more or less like her mother, but Ellis the youngest doesn't know a life without Maggie or Amelia, and Winston/Link were included in the fold a couple of years ago. If we're being honest Amelia and Maggie (and Winston/Link) raised Bailey and Ellis half as much or moreso than Meredith did, the year during Covid especially when Meredith was hospitalized. Meredith is moving to Boston where she knows people, but she's going to be curing Alzheimer's. How well do Zola and the others know Jackson and April? Is Meredith going to ask them to be her babysitters? 

Is Harriet around Ellis' age?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm just worried that this will turn into all the interns actually being geniuses/incredible doctors who were dinged by some sympathetic situation which made them bottom of the barrel picks.  Though with Blue, even if he went to a questionable medical school, given his intelligence, you'd think he could do better for a match than Last Chance Hospital. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Dancing Queen said:

I don't understand why he doesn't just take a job at Seattle Pres or another local hospital so he won't be working for his wife, which is where he's feeling the tension in their relationship.  Why go through all the trouble of re-certifying in another field? 

Agree. The way she's been treating him at work n general is so annoying as well. I wouldn't stay there working for her, too. Then, basically saying nothing but cardio matters...like Derek saying nothing but neuro matter and couldn't hack Meredith wanting to do neuro, too. 

Good to know that I wasn't hallucinating that it was Patricia Richardson. Surprised to see her on this show.

Was wondering if they were appropriating Denny's clinic for the Elena Bailey clinic & I'm OK with it. After all this time, not many remember it was his clinic. 

It feels like Ellis should be older than she looks. Bailey, too. Not sure if I'd have chosen those names, but there you go. 

Do you need an active license to be chief? It's really administrative and maybe they should keep it that way. He didn't lose it for that long, right? Bailey was a bad chief. She was too easily swayed by Catherine. Speaking of which, are Catherine and Richard still together? 

If I were Nick, I'd be PO'd coming all the way to Seattle for Meredith, then being ditched. They don't have much chemistry in my book, but if you're going to make it happen, this is ridiculous. It's hard for me to take Scott Speedman seriously as a doctor after Animal Kingdom. I always call him Dr. Baz! 

Agree about when did Maggie pick up the post it note...I'm sure there's a Harry Potter spell for that...

• Like 2
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Good to know that I wasn't hallucinating that it was Patricia Richardson. Surprised to see her on this show.

That's who that was! I kept trying to place her and couldn't! The hair was throwing me off, I think.

9 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Do you need an active license to be chief? It's really administrative and maybe they should keep it that way. He didn't lose it for that long, right? Bailey was a bad chief. She was too easily swayed by Catherine. Speaking of which, are Catherine and Richard still together? 

I think he had to be supervised for six months.

Bailey also is prone to meltdowns when she gets stressed out...

• Love 1

First the writers break up Amelia and Link, the most stable of couples, and now it is looking like Maggie and Winston, the next once most stable couple.  Yet they torture us with Owen and Teddy (who I don't mind separately and may have yelled at the TV when he went to Germany to be with her for the one night stand many years ago.  WHY?  

I actually hope Nick will stay.  While I love the amount of female surgeons there are on Grey's, I still need eye candy, and Link and Winston aren't enough.  He is also good as a teacher too.  

It looks like they are throwing Link and Jo back together too.  I still wish it was Link and Amelia.  I know, I am wishing for something that just won't happen.  At least I feel Link and Jo is marginally better than Link and Jules.  

I wonder who will be Yasuda's pairing, since Jules and Blue and Adams and what's her name seem to be paired?  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Is Harriet around Ellis' age?

7 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

It feels like Ellis should be older than she looks. Bailey, too. Not sure if I'd have chosen those names, but there you go. 

I believe Harriet is a year younger than Ellis. Ellis was born toward the end of Season 11 (following the year-long gap after Derek's death where Meredith moved and April spent much of her time as a military physician to avoid grieving over her son). April's pregnancy with Harriett was a significant plot line for Season 12. 

As for Ellis's age, that's harder to pinpoint thanks to Grey's ever fluctuating timeline, but if one assumes a year for each season, then she should be 7-8 years old. Another way to figure it would be to go by the resident classes... she was born shortly before DeLuca's arrival as an intern, so she should've been 5 going on 6 when DeLuca finished residency and was an attending at the start of the Covid season.  Add two more years for her today. I believe Bailey is 2-3 years older than Ellis.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, txhorns79 said:

Whatever happened to Denny's clinic?  They made such a big deal of it for a while in the early seasons, then they just kind of forgot it existed. 

Last I can recall, I believe it took damage during the wind storm where Schmidt and Nico hooked up in an ambulance while waiting for the storm to die down. I do remember that Alex worked there for a few episodes while sorting through the legal/professional fallout from when he beat up DeLuca. So it still was functioning up until a few seasons ago, and then it dropped shortly before Covid.

For a lot of those complaining about Jo's actions in the ER, I actually thought it wasn't too off base. She noted that she was basically taking a five-minute break, which can be needed for mental sanity when working a long shift. I'm sure if a new emergency case was wheeled in, she'd have immediately rushed over, but otherwise ER shifts can often have periods of downtime where the physician is awaiting labs or nursing procedures on their current cases. And she was right to remind Schmidt that she's an attending whereas he is still a resident (heck, she could've even reminded him that she had once been his chief resident earlier in his training!), so it was not his place to boss her around on which new consults were next on the list to be seen.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Absolutely hate what they are doing to Maggie/Winston. I liked them as a couple. He seemed much better suited for her than Jackson was. Now suddenly this season they are the bickersons 2.0. We get enough of that from Teddy/Owen.

13 hours ago, taanja said:

Ha! That's my girl! being Meredith to the very end.

I get that Derek was her one and only, but man the way she has treated Nick is awful. TBH - I'm ready for Pompeo to be gone. The storylines for her exit are clunky and boring. Hopefully her leaving will give other storylines room to breath.

12 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Richard should be Chief, IMO. The revolving door of leadership has gotten overly ridiculous, and I know the show has been on for nearly two decades, but I say let the man who started it all be in charge. With better planning, Miranda Bailey - who was being primed under Richard's wing since the very beginning - should've been given the promotion to Chief toward the end of the series as Richard retires...but since there hasn't been an end in sight, I guess that would be too hard to plan. 

Regardless, no thank you to Teddy as Chief. They really laid it on thick this episode with praising her leadership. And I laughed out loud when Owen said he wanted it. No, sir! A plane crashed under your leadership because you were trying to cut cost for the hospital budget, your services are not needed. 

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I hope we're done with the Grey House and that the fire rendered it uninhabitable.  Freeloaders Amelia, Maggie and Winston can find their own places to live. If the show is going to go to the lengths to set fire to the house as Meredith makes her move to Boston, then let this be a real fresh start and cut ties with that space completely. And maybe that is tptb's intention. Or maybe the show is going to pick up in three months and the Grey House got a facelift. I say let it go. It belonged to a Grey's Anatomy that no longer exists. 

I agree, Richard is the logical choice unless they are bringing in someone new. None of the current doctors would make sense. I'm also glad the house burned down. I was worried that Maggie & Winston would end up moving into it.

11 hours ago, babyrambo said:

This was a good episode but a mediocre mid season finale.

Even with the loss of Meredith’s house. Which felt really unnecessary and underwhelming to me, tbh. I didn’t expect to feel sentimental about it, but it’s been there since the first episode and outlasted even Meredith’s closest friends and family. Torching it just as she’s about to leave the city is overkill imo. Like I’m glad they managed to save the post it but I really just wish they’d just left the house alone.

Kinda like how I wish they’d just left Maggie and Winston alone.

I know drama is the point of this show but it doesn’t work for everyone and Maggie and Winston are a perfect example of that. To me, it’s less that their marital issues feel contrived and more that they never really had a great love story so the emotional payoff from this plot isn’t worth it. It all just feels very, ‘well duh?’ They got married after 5 minutes of dating (sure, they’d known each other for years but they never sold that undeniable chemistry needed to anchor that whirlwind lovers storyline, even at the beginning) and now they’re realizing that not only are they professionally incompatible, they’re also in completely different places romantically.

Maggie’s response to Winston telling her she was his passion was cold—she was more excited about that post it than she's been about their entire relationship, if that wasn’t a clue that she isn’t madly in love I don’t know what is—but not exactly a revelation to anyone who’s spent even a day with Maggie. She’s definitely in the wrong here and I feel bad for the guy but this is a character that wholly lacks self awareness and she’s been this way since day one. I’ve seen a lot of people call Maggie immature and that’s definitely part of it but she’s also self absorbed; her inability to see things from other people’s point of view unless it’s spelled out for her is a major problem and something the show doesn’t seem to want to ease up on after all these seasons. Still, I like her a lot; she’s a realistic portrayal of a kid genius turned stunted adult and her being so dorky and unyielding is very endearing to me. But as a partner, she’s definitely a lot. If I was Winston I'd cut my losses and move on because how do you get back from that? He said she was everything and she all but told him to get real and grow up??? LOL. Staying after that? Couldn’t be me.

But he’ll probably stay. Or cheat his way through it, as is the Greys tradition. Speaking of cheaters, Owen and Teddy were actually okay in this episode. Yasuda’s #girlboss speech was a bit much but seeing Teddy become, even for a moment, the brilliant surgeon she was back when she was first introduced on the show was great. I don’t know if one day of bickerless competence makes her chief material, but if more work means less time spent on her failing marriage then I’m all for it  

Meredith and Nick and their issues though. Can’t say I’m at all invested in that relationship but I don’t mind him as a character. He’s good with the interns—I’m liking Jules and Blue as a unit way more than I expected and Lucas and Simone (who finally kissed, so misunderstandings and heartbreak are otw lol) continue to be cute—and a good teacher which they definitely need because Schmitt isn’t cutting it.

Speaking of, whatever that was with Schmitt and Jo was annoying. Jo isn’t charming enough to pull off being that insufferable so her whole bit was eye roll including.

I did like ‘gratitude is implied though’, I’ll be stealing that.

I kinda feel the opposite. I liked Maggie & Winston's love story. Time is hard to count in Grey's Land, but I think they date for few years. Although I think he packed up and moved after they had been dating a fairly short period of time. Regardless, I liked them as a couple and thought they were cute together, if not a little harmless. The show just seems to like breaking up couples when they can't think up interesting storylines for them. 

Overall this first half of the season was better than it's been in a long time, but you can still see the show is winding down. It feels they want to make it to season 20 before calling it a day and I'm okay with that. 

16 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

First the writers break up Amelia and Link, the most stable of couples, and now it is looking like Maggie and Winston, the next once most stable couple.  Yet they torture us with Owen and Teddy (who I don't mind separately and may have yelled at the TV when he went to Germany to be with her for the one night stand many years ago.  WHY?  

I actually hope Nick will stay.  While I love the amount of female surgeons there are on Grey's, I still need eye candy, and Link and Winston aren't enough.  He is also good as a teacher too.  

It looks like they are throwing Link and Jo back together too.  I still wish it was Link and Amelia.  I know, I am wishing for something that just won't happen.  At least I feel Link and Jo is marginally better than Link and Jules.  

I wonder who will be Yasuda's pairing, since Jules and Blue and Adams and what's her name seem to be paired?  

Amen to ALL of this. Also? I hate Amelia & Kai. They have zero chemistry together and every scene just feels try hard.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, izabella said:

When Winston told her she was his passion, she told him she didn't think she could respect that. 

I agree that it was brutal. If she can't respect him for loving her like she loves cardio, then I don't see a future for them. I know if I were in Winston's place, I would struggle to stay in a marriage if my spouse had told me that. I mean, it's one thing if she puts her job first and him second, and he puts her first, and they both accept that and respect each others' differences in how they see careers and love. But for her to not respect that in him?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Me three on Amelia and Kai. But even though the actor playing Kai seems to be wooden, I wonder what it would have been like if the writers had actually bothered to write a story rather than instant inexplicable attraction and multiple reasons to break up (foremost that Kai doesn't want children and Amelia is co-parenting Scout), but they still keep going I guess so that Linc and Jo can be together. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers made Amelia give Linc custody (out of character imo) so that Linc and Jo can form a lovely family of four.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4