Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E09: 90's Night

• Start Topic

90s Night” – The 90s are back!
“Dancing with the Stars” hits rewind with “90s Night” featuring special guest artists Salt-N-Pepa, En Vogue, Vanilla Ice and Kid ‘N Play. The eight remaining couples will “Spice Up Your Life” with individual routines and relay dances performed to iconic hits from the 90s.

The evening will kick off with a dazzling opening number choreographed by Mandy Moore, featuring the professional dancers who will be joining the DWTS LIVE 2023 Tour. The pros will dance to “Whatta Man” performed live by Salt-N-Pepa and En Vogue. “90s Night” will also see the return of the Relay Dance competition where each winner will have the opportunity to earn five bonus points. All four Relay Dances will feature a live performance from one of the special guest artists – Vanilla Ice, En Vogue, Salt-N-Pepa and Kid ‘N Play.

The couples (along with their dance styles and songs) are the following:

Actor and singer Wayne Brady and pro Witney Carson will perform a Salsa to “Motownphilly” by Boyz II Men

TikTok star Charli D’Amelio and pro Mark Ballas will perform a Tango to “Song 2” by Blur

Heidi D’Amelio (“The D’Amelio Show”) and pro Artem Chigvintsev will perform a Contemporary to “Ironic” by Alanis Morissette

TV star Trevor Donovan and pro Emma Slater will perform a Salsa to “Barbie Girl” by Aqua

Daniel Durant  (Oscar®-winning “CODA”) and pro Britt Stewart will perform a Jazz to “Enjoy the Silence” by Depeche Mode

Vinny Guadagnino (“Jersey Shore”) and pro Koko Iwasaki will perform a Tango to “What Is Love” by Haddaway

Drag queen superstar Shangela and pro Gleb Savchenko will perform a Samba to “Spice Up Your Life” by Spice Girls

Gabby Windey (“The Bachelorette”) and pro Val Chmerkovskiy will perform a Samba to “Livin’ La Vida Loca” by Ricky Martin

Edited by Melonie77

Relay Dances performed to live music provided by the guest artists:

Shangela & Gleb vs. Daniel & Britt
Cha Cha to “Ice Ice Baby” performed live by Vanilla Ice

Vinny & Koko vs. Trevor & Emma
Samba to “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)” performed live by En Vogue

Heidi & Artem vs. Wayne & Witney
Samba to “Shoop” performed live by Salt-N-Pepa

Charli & Mark vs. Gabby & Val
Salsa to “Ain’t Gonna Hurt Nobody” performed live by Kid ‘N Play

There will be a double elimination at the end of the episode. The six remaining couples will move on to the semi-finals on Nov. 14.

I wonder how they will process the double elimination. Will they take the bottom 4 and then choose the two they want to save? Or will it be a straight elimination of the bottom 2 without any judge involvement? If they want to get a certain bad dancer with a big voting block out then the first option may be the better route to go.

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was thinking maybe eliminate the lowest vote getter and then have the judges save 1 of the 2 others from the bottom 3. I can't remember how they usually do it though. I suppose they'll do it in a way that will help them keep who they want lol.

The lowest vote getter gets auto eliminated and then they do the typical bottom two, judges save one. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was thinking maybe eliminate the lowest vote getter and then have the judges save 1 of the 2 others from the bottom 3. I can't remember how they usually do it though. I suppose they'll do it in a way that will help them keep who they want lol.

That's a good possibility too!
I too don't remember how they handled this situation in the past and that may be because they haven't done this type of contest before since they started the judges' save. I think they've only been doing the judges' save since the Bobby Bones season.

I'm looking forward to tonight's show. I think the music from a 90's theme will be more suitable than some of the other songs they have been using and I love that they are using the live musicians for the relay dances.

We're also going to see an opening dance with the pros. I've always liked Salt-N-Pepa and love the song “Whatta Man”!

I just hope there are no surprise eliminations. I've got my fingers crossed that Vinnie will be one of the two to go home. And I'm hoping Heidi is the second one to leave tonight. I suppose there is a good chance she will go since she's been in the bottom two twice and I can't see the judges saving her a third time.

5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The lowest vote getter gets auto eliminated and then they do the typical bottom two, judges save one. 

This makes the most sense - have you seen them do this before? As I mentioned above I don't recall the show having a double elimination since the judges save was added.

I suppose they can set it up in a number of ways to get the results they want.🤷🏻‍♀️

25 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

This makes the most sense - have you seen them do this before? As I mentioned above I don't recall the show having a double elimination since the judges save was added.

I suppose they can set it up in a number of ways to get the results they want.🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes, it's been done like that since the judges' save, as far as I remember. We've had double eliminations every season.

• Thanks 1

I'm curious about how they paired up the couples for the relay dances...

Gabby vs Charli: this makes sense pairing the two best female dancers but I wonder if they will show favoritism to Charli?
Heidi vs Wayne: I'm guessing Wayne will win this competition making it easier to send Heidi home, but is that what the producers want? I thought they wanted the mother / daughter competing in the finals.
*Vinnie vs Trevor: Trevor should be able to take this easily putting Vinnie closer to elimination.
*Shangela vs Daniel: I love both of these dancers but I think Shangela may have the advantage.

These last two pairings are kind of weird. I think I would have preferred Vinnie vs Daniel and Shangela vs Trevor....which may have protected Daniel from elimination. I hope Daniel doesn't end up going instead of Vinnie!

4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yes, it's been done like that since the judges' save, as far as I remember. We've had double eliminations every season.

I think the addition of the relay was throwing me off plus the voting counting on the same night was making me think this was a unique situation but I guess once they assign the extra 5 points to the relay winners they can just handle it like any double elimination.

Given that this "competition" has been rigged for a few years now with blatant favoritism and contestants with super heavy dance backgrounds, I think it is hilarious that Vinny is still alive and kicking.  At least it makes things a little more humorous.  At the end of the day, does it really matter?  We all know who is going to win.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

Gabby vs Charli: this makes sense pairing the two best female dancers but I wonder if they will show favoritism to Charli?

You know they will lol.

3 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

I think the addition of the relay was throwing me off plus the voting counting on the same night was making me think this was a unique situation but I guess once they assign the extra 5 points to the relay winners they can just handle it like any double elimination.

They've been having voting counting on the night for several seasons now, haven't they?

27 minutes ago, Ireland77 said:

Given that this "competition" has been rigged for a few years now with blatant favoritism and contestants with super heavy dance backgrounds, I think it is hilarious that Vinny is still alive and kicking.  At least it makes things a little more humorous.  At the end of the day, does it really matter?  We all know who is going to win.

+1

• Love 1

WTF!!! Two 8s and two 9s for Trevor and Emma? What a ripoff!

I absolutely loved that dance. The choreography was fantastic and Trevor's performance was solid both in and out of the plastic doll parts. The dance style looked great and the lifts were perfect to my eyes. I thought it should have been at least nines with a 10 or two. IMO the 8's were sabotage - Carrie and Derek!!! Derek should know better when he spent many years on the other side of that table. I really hope Trevor doesn't go home due to their machinations.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Amazing and so disgusting that the Tik Tok "Megastar" is the one they favor the most. Tik Tok fucking sucks and I'm getting sick of Charlis entitlement. No one should be a "Star" for Dancing on a Overrated Overexposed but must be worshipped App 

8 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

I'm curious about how they paired up the couples for the relay dances...

Heidi vs Wayne: I'm guessing Wayne will win this competition making it easier to send Heidi home, but is that what the producers want? I thought they wanted the mother / daughter competing in the finals.
*Vinnie vs Trevor: Trevor should be able to take this easily putting Vinnie closer to elimination.
*Shangela vs Daniel: I love both of these dancers but I think Shangela may have the advantage.

These last two pairings are kind of weird. I think I would have preferred Vinnie vs Daniel and Shangela vs Trevor....which may have protected Daniel from elimination. I hope Daniel doesn't end up going instead of Vinnie!

The finals have 4 couples. And they aren't subtle with showing they desperately want the Tik Toker who must be worshipped and her mom both there. The Tik Toker is their chosen one and gotta please her. Also they want Bachelorette and ABC "star" Gabby there as well. I hope Wayne beats them all 

• Love 5

Wayne killing it tonight! I love him!

I’m also embarrassed at how much I’m loving this theme. This was my music in high school—it wasn’t great then but I still enjoy it. They’ve all been great live! 

Edited by Sd601
  • Love 6

These second round machinations have rendered the show a complete, unwatchable joke - more than even Tyra as the host! I hate the last 40 minutes every week. Blatant gaslighting and manipulation. GMAFB with this sham - you know who’s getting the points before they dance.

The same-night eliminations encourage nothing in the realm of talent. 

Oh, and thanks to the terrible new platform, I have to watch on my iPad. Xfinity cannot establish a live streaming connection to Disney+ on my TV. Officially tuning out after this extremely frustrating and disappointing season.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 2

Thank God they put all of us…Heidi included!…out of our collective misery tonight.  I have never seen anyone so utterly joyless in my life.  Is it the Botox, or is she really just a sour bitch?

Edited by CraftyHazel
  • Like 4
  • Love 8

Sasha and Daniela’s dance during one of the filler segments was on fire. I love it when the pros burn it up. 

So I’m guessing next week’s double elimination will be Trevor and Daniel. (Unless something weird happens and Charli gets the boot. I just don’t enjoy her dancing. She’s technically good, but very robotic.) 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Impressions of tonight:

Trevor and Emma - cute theme but Trevor had trouble doing basic Salsa it needs to be grounded not hoppy  and the lifts were laboured and  messy. 

Shangela and Gleb - she was Scary Spice I’m sure Mel B would have loved it. Problem is her footwork is terrible. Mel B nailed the technique,in her season. If Shangela gets serious about foot placement she is a threat, but so far she’s not where the front runners are.

Daniel and Britt - choreography started slow but soon picked up. The silent section was really powerful. I thought it was by far his best dance

Wayne and Witney

- I really liked the Salsa and his footwork was impeccable. Latin dances fit well on Wayne even if it’s heavily inspired by hip hop. He was a tad serious during the dance, I’m sure he wanted to nail everything which he did but I missed the fun he usually brings. 

Heidi and Artem 

Heidi is a technician but it’s tough to project emotion when you keep it in. Unfortunately she read too much of the on line comments and it messed her up. That contemporary was just bad choreography mixed with her state of mind it just wasn’t going to go well.

Gaby and Val

That was a whole lotta male skin and not a lot of good Samba. The basics were okay but the legs were loose and awkward, the voltas were messy. I was shocked that got a 40. Frankly Shangela did it better. 

Vinny and Koko

Well Koko was clever in giving a lot of side by side arm motions so Vinny didn’t have to dance in hold. Tango is a glide not a lurch, but he showed some improvement but there wasn’t a lot of Tango there.

Charli and Mark -For an international Tango they had a few elements in there that are at least American tango, but no matter it was fantastic. The Blur song was the perfect amount of explosive energy that really propelled this dance. Mark really put this style of dance back on the map as one of the greats. Charli”s intensity was palatable. It rocked and would take first place in any showdance competition. Definitely my favourite of the night.

Relays 

Vinny vs Trevor 

I actually think Vinny did okay it went from stompy to Samba. Trevor was more consistent . 

Shangela vs Daniel 

Sloppy wins over Stiff - Shangela has tons of musicality she now needs to get cleaner lines and footwork. Daniel did well given his significant limitation of not being able to hear the music. 

Wayne vs Heidi 

Heidi had a struggle letting go and even on this dance there wasn’t complete abandon. Wayne did his thing and reminded us why he got a perfect score in Samba 

Gaby vs Charli 

I thought this would be a contest but Gaby  is like Shangela all about the sizzle and not the substance. I thought Charli is really starting to take notes about being more expressive as she was pretty sassy on this dance. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Well the two I was hoping would be sent home were indeed eliminated so I am happy with those results but I still can't get over Carrie Ann's bias against Trevor and Emma.

As much as I prefer Gabby I have to admit I thought Charli's dance was better than hers. There seemed however a benefit to those who went first in the relay. It felt as if they got more time and some of the songs weren't really suitable as they changed tempo with the back halves being harder to dance to for some reason. I didn't like the last live song at all.

One thing to take some comfort in regarding Charli (besides the fact that one of the tiktokers is gone now) - I think some of the favoritism is due to Mark. Maybe the show is hoping to draw him back into the fold and if his win this season succeeds in getting him to work as a pro again then it would be worth it in my opinion.

And a thought to offer some hope - if Heidi's votes have been that low it's quite possible that Charli's not getting a lot of votes either. Perhaps this show is not on the radar of Charli's TikTok followers and voting is not something they will keep up with every week.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I thought Tyra looked better tonight wearing a simple style dress in slimming black. She should stay away from all the monstrous bright colored gowns with huge bouncing attachments. They make her look so much larger.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

One thing to take some comfort in regarding Charli (besides the fact that one of the tiktokers is gone now) - I think some of the favoritism is due to Mark. Maybe the show is hoping to draw him back into the fold and if his win this season succeeds in getting him to work as a pro again then it would be worth it in my opinion.

I can see some favoritism for Mark—I mean, he and Derek are best friends, but I assume they’re careful not to try and be overly biased. But Mark’s choreography and Charli’s execution are fantastic.

Yeah, many of us aren’t fans of hers. I didn’t even know who she was until this competition (I follow like 7 people on TikTok—my kids and a couple funny farm people (Karen the angry emu)). Caveat aside, Charli is a great dancer. I think she is a dead fish or a basket case of anxiety in the real world, but I think she emotes and dances with passion and grace. Mark is so talented to create incredible routines that work well for her. I wouldn’t hate her winning. I tend to rewatch her dances and Wayne’s. Sometimes Shangelas. I’ve been voting for Wayne, Shangela, and Daniel—not Charli, even though I’d like her to continue. I figure she has enough voters. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

Sasha and Daniela’s dance during one of the filler segments was on fire. I love it when the pros burn it up. 

Sasha kept up but Daniela is a showstopper. What a massive talent.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sd601 said:

Mark is so talented to create incredible routines that work well for her. I wouldn’t hate her winning. I tend to rewatch her dances and Wayne’s. Sometimes Shangelas. I’ve been voting for Wayne, Shangela, and Daniel—not Charli, even though I’d like her to continue. I figure she has enough voters. 

Although I love Wayne ever since "Who's Line is it Anyway"and vote for him I'm starting to get annoyed with Wayne's attitude. Why did he have to say he's a World Class performer?  He's working on technique and can compete, he doesn't need to get haughty, and maybe all the jobs other than dance are getting to him.  If any other contestant said that on this show, they would be dragged for the arrogance. 

I may start to vote for Charli because even though I wasn't a fan of her contemporary or jazz due to her obvious advantage and I just didn't like the choreo,  I love what Mark is doing on the Ballroom dances. He's making these dances cool again because of his expertise in the styles and the outstanding choreography that Mark weaves within the style.  But it really doesn't matter how good Mark is, without a talent like Charli ballroom dances fall flat fast. Ballroom is all about style and technique, they don't rely on personality which drives Latin party dances.  I love what the team is doing, and I want to see more.  I very much doubt she'll win because the youth that follow her rarely vote she could be a shock boot. This is the second week in a row that Charli and Mark were called last. I do think the show is working to keep her alive, but the votes will tell the story. Wayne is so well known among the demographic and Gaby has bachelor nation.  And every little boy who ever wanted to dress up and dance is voting hard for Shangela.  And yet a Mark Ballas freestyle is something to look forward to. Hopefully it will happen.

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 5

This is my first time following an entire season live from ep 1 ( I've watched here and there in the past) because of Wayne and I'm glad he's making a comeback after the last 2 weeks. I didn't know who Shangela was but she's so entertaining, though still not fully "crisp". Gabby is surprisingly good. I love Daniel's growth but I don't see him in the finals.

I thought somehow the show would pull something to keep Heidi on. She must really get low numbers to be decently scored (but not always deserved) by the judges. So I guess Charli's 100mil followers aren't devoted enough to keep Mom in. TikTok is International so she could have a lot of followers in places who don't care about DWTS or just care to watch some short clips but not into lifting a finger to vote. I haven't seen anything on ratings for the season and they do announcements for some streaming now so I suspect TikTok family aren't bringing in the viewers either. I still think Charli's already considered the winner as far as the show is concerned but I'd love to see the ringer get an upset loss. I actually thought the music choice and lighting was kind of distracting and automatically would elevate any performance because it was a show in itself. It was good, as it should be from a trained dancer, but I wasn't blown away.

I think Trevor definitely got lower votes than Vinny I think and without the save could've gone if it was a double automatic elimination. Trevor and Heidi have been bottom 2 several times. The fake "this is hard" from the judges was a waste because obviously Vinny was passed time to go. I noticed at the end more people seemed to be saying bye to Vinny than Heidi.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

think Trevor definitely got lower votes than Vinny I think and without the save could've gone if it was a double automatic elimination. Trevor and Heidi have been bottom 2 several times. The fake "this is hard" from the judges was a waste because obviously Vinny was passed time to go

Definitely Trevor is being saved by the show because host Emma needs a co-host for the DWTS tour.  The Relay was all about getting rid of Vinny. I wouldn't be surprised if they push Trevor into the finals.  Fake works on this show. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, White Dog said:

Definitely Trevor is being saved by the show because host Emma needs a co-host for the DWTS tour.  The Relay was all about getting rid of Vinny. I wouldn't be surprised if they push Trevor into the finals.  Fake works on this show. 

Yeah, he is this season's Ally Brooke.

I am glad things worked out the way they did. Now, going into the semis, I won't be left angry at anyone staying over others. I either like the people left or understand they're the best dancers left. 

I was surprisingly more invested in Charli this week. I feel like she's grown for me in terms of her performances. I felt like this was her best dance, even though she's always technically excellent. I enjoy Mark giving her tough choreography, as well. 

Both Wayne and Gabby's dances felt overscored. I don't think either deserved a perfect score. Wayne's dance was fun, but low energy and I felt like he was struggling a bit. Understandable, given how busy he is, but still. And Gabby messed up a couple of times, especially in the samba roll (that lasted barely a second). At one point, Gabby tripped on her feet, looking for the camera. I would have given both a mix of 9s and 10s. 

Daniel's story was very sad, and I thought he did well with the Jazz. I'm glad he got 10s for that. It's a shame he went against Shangela for the relay, as both did well, but Shangela was just a tiny bit better.

Shangela's samba this week was fun! 

Heidi did a bit better this week. She showed more emotion this time around (not a lot, but it was there) and her dances are always technically strong. I do agree with her losing the relay, and am glad she did. I was worried producers would try to help her avoid the bottom by giving her the win. But Wayne was just better. 

Vinny...tried. I admire his enthusiasm, but his dance was still so very basic. However, I will praise him for his relay. I thought he was slightly better than Trevor at times. 

Trevor's great, I enjoy his partnership with Emma and love that he's grown. I will say, this week was not his best, his salsa was a bit rough (though song choice screwed him over; Barbie Girl isn't a salsa song) and his samba was marginally better than his Cars samba. Still, glad he was saved over Vinny. He's probably the auto elimination next week, but that's ok with me. He got farther than I ever expected him to.

Charli and Gabby's relay was great, but Charli's was stronger than Gabby's dance.

Very glad Heidi and Vinny left, although sucks that neither got much of a chance to speak afterwards, especially Heidi.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I used to think y'all were exaggerating or "Give it a rest,  already" but Tyra is truly like an aggravating fly I can't swat away. She really thinks we are here for her claptrap instead of judges' fleeting critiques.

I love the 90s and this theme was so much fun! Can't believe I was seeing Kid n Play on DwtS!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, White Dog said:

Although I love Wayne ever since "Who's Line is it Anyway"and vote for him I'm starting to get annoyed with Wayne's attitude. Why did he have to say he's a World Class performer?  He's working on technique and can compete, he doesn't need to get haughty, and maybe all the jobs other than dance are getting to him.  If any other contestant said that on this show, they would be dragged for the arrogance. 

I think there's a fine line between confidence and overconfidence and, for me, that comment didn't cross the line into overconfident or arrogant. 

4 hours ago, White Dog said:

2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Yeah, he is this season's Ally Brooke.

I don't think he's this season Ally Brooke at all. Yes, he's been saved three times now, but it's not like he's been saved over people who were leagues better than him. I think, especially these last two times, it was less about saving Trevor and getting rid of the person he was up against. I absolutely agree the relay was about getting rid of Vinny. I think these last two weeks have been mostly about doing whatever possible to get rid of him. I think at times if the audience is voting for someone not that great, but their popularity is high enough, the judges will just start giving them higher scores anyway, even if they don't deserve it IMO. But, I think there are those times, like with Bobby Bones - and now Vinnie - where they will just keep going lower and lower hoping that will do the trick. It's not usual to be heading into the semifinals and see people getting 7s. I think if Trevor had been up against anyone other than Vinnie this week, they would have eliminated him. The scores they gave Trevor for his first dance are not the scores they give someone they are desperate to save.

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Both Wayne and Gabby's dances felt overscored. I don't think either deserved a perfect score. Wayne's dance was fun, but low energy and I felt like he was struggling a bit. Understandable, given how busy he is, but still. And Gabby messed up a couple of times, especially in the samba roll (that lasted barely a second). At one point, Gabby tripped on her feet, looking for the camera. I would have given both a mix of 9s and 10s. 

I love Wayne, so I hate to agree, but yeah, I did think he was slightly overscored. It did feel somewhat low energy. And, I think someone else pointed this out, but his expressions felt too serious for this particular dance. Though I will say on a rewatch my response to the dance was a lot better. I will say Wayne being overscored didn't annoy me as much as Gabby because it wasn't accompanied with such over-the-top praise. 'The best samba in the history of the show?' It wasn't even the best samba this season. I think the judges just need to stop, period, calling anything the best ever in the history of the show. It always seems forced to me. And, my God, calm down with how supposedly sexy that dance was. I thought them taking their shirts off before the scores was a funny moment, but overall, the reaction was just embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

I used to think y'all were exaggerating or "Give it a rest,  already" but Tyra is truly like an aggravating fly I can't swat away. She really thinks we are here for her claptrap instead of judges' fleeting critiques.

I love the 90s and this theme was so much fun! Can't believe I was seeing Kid n Play on DwtS!

I can't even tell you how many times during every episode I'm yelling "shut up" at my screen. Even when she seems like she's trying to be supportive or fun, it just comes off as so unnatural and "me, me, me." Maybe it was just because they were pressed for time this week (I hope not) but I was so, so glad that when they announced the hosts they didn't announce Tyra first and have Alfonse have to wait for a minute as if he was some also-ran and Tyra was the star of the show. And I have no idea who was responsible for how chaotic the relay stuff was. Not sure if it's fair to blame Tyra for that particular awkwardness. It felt weird that they had Shangela and Daniel get their results and THEN do the interview. Then when Carrie-Ann was like "Aren't they going to go away" before giving Trevor and Vinnie her verdict, that was funny, but weird. I was wondering did they not rehearse that at all?

I grew up during the 90's so it was fun in that respect, but also, seeing some of those performer made me feel old or kind of cringing at how much work they had done.

I love Daniel and I think he really is inspiring and doing a lot of good, but something about his whole presentation last night put me off. Like, I feel for him and what he went through with his birth mother, but I didn't get why they were talking about it last night. It didn't feel like it had any connection to the dance and almost like they wanted a sob story to get more votes. And, even though they never said this was a first for the show, the reaction to him dancing without music made it seem like that was the case, even though it wasn't. Nyle DiMarco also did a dance where he danced a portion of it without music. I just happened to watch that dance this week and I thought the transition to no music worked better in that dance, than in this one. I did think the dance overall was well done and I was happy for him he finally got some 10s. I also found Derek's emotional reaction genuine - probably helps that this was a first for him since he wasn't involved in Nyle's season and he doesn't cry at the drop of a hat like Carrie-Ann does.

I was so glad to see Heidi get automatically eliminated. Just like her daughter, I have never connected with her. I felt a little bad for her when she was talking about looking at responses online, but I still thought the dance was a hot mess. Obviously, because of the judges' critiques, she was bound and determined to be "emotional" but, for me, it just didn't work especially because of the song. No matter how slowed down the music is "Ironic" just didn't work for this dance. It was like she was thinking the whole time "You wanted emotion, I'll give you emotion" but it wasn't coming from a genuine place and didn't match the song.

I am beyond over the Charli tongue baths. Every time one of the judges acts so SHOCKED or says they've never seen anyone else do that on the show before it's like "Yeah, she's a trained dancer" what do you expect? And, while I think Mark can have some great choreography, I don't think he's all that and just was genuinely not into the dance this week or last week - and Argentine Tango is pretty much my favorite dance on this show.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 3

So what is the purpose of even getting people like Vinny if they think he shouldn't win the show? They might as well just get twelve ringers. I don't even like Vinny, but the way they got rid of him was left a sour taste in my mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

So what is the purpose of even getting people like Vinny if they think he shouldn't win the show? They might as well just get twelve ringers. I don't even like Vinny, but the way they got rid of him was left a sour taste in my mouth. 

Because you can't predict what non-ringers can or can't do. Yes, this show is Dancing With The Stars. Yes, we really need way less ringers. But I also think we need a couple of decent dancers because what if we got twelve Vinnys? 

There's a VERY distinct difference between someone like Vinny and someone like Trevor. Vinny tried, but he was just not going to get better, and that's why we saw Koko dumb down the choreography. He was knocking out other dancers because of his fanbase. Which, yeah, that's part of the show, but we LEGIT saw what happens when a fanbase is too large ala Bobby Bones, one of the worst dancers of his season. See how Cody last season got to the finale despite being the weakest (and also catching COVID and the show deciding to try to keep him instead of respectfully eliminating him).

While someone like Trevor or even Iman last season who have no dance experience, start off weak, but you see them get better as the season goes on. 

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to pinpoint those types of celebs pre-season, it's impossible to, so you can't just have all non-dancers and hope a handful of them are good enough to keep people invested.

Which is why I get why ringers exist...to an extent. But when you're picking competitive or professional dancers, or people with a lot of dance experience, it does become unfair.

Honestly, I was fine with how they got rid of Vinny, but only because I got Cody/Bobby Bones flashbacks (not so much Grocery Store Joe, since Joe left around this time too). Vinny was in real danger of getting to the finale and knocking out better dancers. Nice guy, I definitely became a fan of him due to his enthusiasm and support of other celebs, it was just his time to go.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

+1

I have fast forwarded the judges for years and it makes the show an absolute delight to watch lol.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Because you can't predict what non-ringers can or can't do.

Sadie Robertson is an example of this. She was on some dumb reality show and had no show business background. But with Mark, she ended up being a surprisingly good dancer. 

I just want to see Mark and Charli's freestyle. He usually has memorable freestyles unlike many of the pros on the show. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

think there's a fine line between confidence and overconfidence and, for me, that comment didn't cross the line into overconfident or arrogant.

Well all I know is if Charli said “I’m a world class performer” she’d be getting dragged to tomorrow. Would she be able to reasonably say that? Maybe since she’s been on a show dancing with the Houghs. Wayne said it and it felt a bit off putting because what defines “world class” running around hosting game shows?   Are we supposed to be grateful this world class performer is slumming it on DWTS? he then went on to explain how he’s putting up performances while some others are technical dancers. It’s ironic because for me his Salsa was great technically but not his best performance.  I really don’t like it when contestants start defining themselves to voters, just let the voters decide.  I’m still on the Wayne Train and he’s wonderful. Hopefully it was just stress talking imho.

Edited by White Dog
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Because you can't predict what non-ringers can or can't do. Yes, this show is Dancing With The Stars. Yes, we really need way less ringers. But I also think we need a couple of decent dancers because what if we got twelve Vinnys? 

There's a VERY distinct difference between someone like Vinny and someone like Trevor. Vinny tried, but he was just not going to get better, and that's why we saw Koko dumb down the choreography. He was knocking out other dancers because of his fanbase. Which, yeah, that's part of the show, but we LEGIT saw what happens when a fanbase is too large ala Bobby Bones, one of the worst dancers of his season. See how Cody last season got to the finale despite being the weakest (and also catching COVID and the show deciding to try to keep him instead of respectfully eliminating him).

While someone like Trevor or even Iman last season who have no dance experience, start off weak, but you see them get better as the season goes on. 

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to pinpoint those types of celebs pre-season, it's impossible to, so you can't just have all non-dancers and hope a handful of them are good enough to keep people invested.

Which is why I get why ringers exist...to an extent. But when you're picking competitive or professional dancers, or people with a lot of dance experience, it does become unfair.

Honestly, I was fine with how they got rid of Vinny, but only because I got Cody/Bobby Bones flashbacks (not so much Grocery Store Joe, since Joe left around this time too). Vinny was in real danger of getting to the finale and knocking out better dancers. Nice guy, I definitely became a fan of him due to his enthusiasm and support of other celebs, it was just his time to go.

To add to that, there are different types of ringers. Some people are labeled "ringers" because they have a quality that overlaps with something that ballroom dancers have. For instance, gymnasts and figure skaters know how to perform routines and are athletic. Boy band stars can learn some dance moves and they have musicality. Then there are the ringers who have actually trained in a different type of dance. It may not be ballroom, but it's still dance. And when you add jazz and contemporary as dances to be performed on this show, the lines get really blurry. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I haven’t voted for Charli since week one. 

But with some of the online hate she gets for being a ringer, I don’t mind. While she trained for years in dance, she obviously wasn’t good enough to pursue dance as a career. Who would have thought a silly little social media platform would bring such fame and opportunities? So here she is, now considered a “Star,” getting invited to dance on a National TV show. She seems to be working really hard—her dances are intricate, elegant, and polished. There’s definitely a lot of preparation on Charli and Mark’s part. I enjoy rewatching her dances and now, finally, wouldn’t be angry if she won. I’m still rooting for Wayne though. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am beyond happy that Vinny and Heidi are gone.  Vinny tried, but he just was never going to be a dancer, and he'd already knocked off some better people.  Heidi has some moves, but I have never been able to warm up to her.  I fully expect Trevor and Daniel to be the ones to leave next week, but I would love to be wrong about that.  Actually would love to see Charli be a shock boot.  I know Charli has the technique, but I cannot connect with her.  All of her dances come across to me as cold and calculated rather than expressing any real emotion.  She has these stock "faces" that are supposed to portray the emotion without actually having to feel it because she's focused on being technically perfect.  As a result, I find I have to work to actually watch her rather than just watching Mark.  Even with the Argentine Tango, which I usually adore, I just wasn't moved by it.  It didn't make me gasp or smile or go wow or anything.  Just yup, she's got the steps down pat.  And I honestly would have given the relay to Gabby.  I agreed with the first three, but once again Charli was technically better but just didn't bring any feelings with it while I enjoyed watching Gabby dance, even though she's not as good.  

I really like Wayne Brady, and I don't find him arrogant at all.  His comment about being a world class performer was the statement of someone who is confident and knows his worth.  It was a statement of fact.  The guy has been on Broadway, sings, has great comedic talent and can make up songs on the spot about weird subjects and sing in different styles.  He is a world class performer, as in being able to put on a show.  Honestly, I'll take that over the humble brag types who always come across as so phony to me.  Wayne owns his talent, but he still comes across to me as a very down-to-earth type guy who would be a blast to hang out with.  

I honestly think Trevor and Daniel will go home next week, but would be very happy to see either or both in the finals as long as they don't knock out Shangela.  My goodness she brings the fun!  I would be happy with a Wayne win, but I would be ecstatic if Shangela won.  But I expect it will be Charli who wins.  Yawn!  I am so over the judges all pretending to be so amazed at how good she is.  A competition judge told Charli that out of all the dancers IN THE WORLD she had the best chance of becoming a professional dancer, and then Derek has her do a ballroom routine with him on one of his tv specials.  It is not even the least bit surprising or interesting that she is technically good.  She's a darn professional!  Ugh.  I get the idea of having some "ringers" in the group to ensure an entertaining show, but there are ringers and then there are RINGERS.  Charli is solidly in the RINGERS category.  If we're going to go that route, why not make a deal with SYTYCD to have their winner come on the next season of DWTS.  That would be totally fair to the other contestants, right?  

So, is it me or is the dance selection funky this season?  I haven't had the energy to try to find everyone's dances, but my perception is that every couple on the show has done both contemporary and jazz, but I can only remember one couple doing a paso doble.  I only remember maybe a couple of waltzes, but I don't think anyone has done a Viennese Waltz this season.  And only a couple of the pairings have done Quikstep and Jive.  It seems like almost everyone has done a cha cha and maybe a foxtrot.  I don't know but it just seems to me that there was more variety in previous seasons with almost every couple doing Quickstep, Jive, Cha Cha, Rhumba, Foxtrot, Paso or Tango (either style but not both as Charli did), and either Contemporary or Jive, but not both.  Or am I just misremembering?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, White Dog said:

Well all I know is if Charli said “I’m a world class performer” she’d be getting dragged to tomorrow. Would she be able to reasonably say that? Maybe since she’s been on a show dancing with the Houghs. Wayne said it and it felt a bit off putting because what defines “world class” running around hosting game shows?   Are we supposed to be grateful this world class performer is slumming it on DWTS? 

If Charli said it, she'd get dragged because she's not a world class performer.  She's a highly trained competitive dancer.  Wayne is so much more than "running around hosting game shows."  He's a singer, he's performed on Broadway, he's acted in many movies and tv shows, he is also a voice actor for animated films, he hosts game shows, and he's a great comedic talent.  On Who's Line Is It Anyway, it's all improv.  There's a regular bit where he has to not only make up a song about some ridiculous topic on the spot, but he then has to sing it in a specific style or impersonate a certain singer.  And he does it week after week, year after year.  And he's been doing it for decades.  That's what it means to be a world class performer.  He can do it all, and he's got the bona fides to prove it.  I didn't feel any arrogance coming from him when he said it.  It was just a statement of fact.  Just my humble opinion anyway.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LadyMustang65 said:

don't know but it just seems to me that there was more variety in previous seasons with almost every couple doing Quickstep, Jive, Cha Cha, Rhumba, Foxtrot, Paso or Tango (either style but not both as Charli did), and either Contemporary or Jive, but not both.  Or am I just misremembering

I would guess the remaining couples may get Paso Doble or Samba  or Argentine Tango next week along with a ballroom dance they haven’t done.

Charli and Mark have done Quickstep Foxtrot Tango, Argentine Tango - they will probably Viennese Waltz next to finnish up the Ballroom Syllabus  and on the Latin side they did Rumba Jive Cha Cha and Salsa and will probably do either Samba or Paso in week 9 to complete the Latin x syllabus  additionally they did Jazz and Contemporary early which is good to be well over before thee finale.

Wayne and Witney have had similar styles but at least half of the dances he’s done so far were-heavily infused with hip hop. Cha Cha, Jazz, Contemporary, Samba and now Salsa.all had hip hop elements and that Contemporary looked more like a hip hop dance. It  works for him but the judges asked them not to do too much hip hop after their first dance.

2 minutes ago, White Dog said:

.already posted

Edited by White Dog

Overall, a fun 90s night. Still wish they would quit with the theme every week so that they can dance to songs that actually fit the dance style.

Very happy that Vinny was eliminated. I'm fine with Heidi being gone as well, that package with her and Charli just seemed awkward and staged, not to mention desperate.

Trevor has improved to the point that I'm okay with him still being around.

Emma needs to chill. I get that she's hosting the tour or whatever, but her antics regarding it are becoming extremely annoying.

Shangela's dance seemed to be missing somthing this week, it just felt kind of off. I didn't think it was 10 worthy<shrug>

Wayne-It was a great dance. I hope his injuries don't derail him.

Daniel-Damn, that got me tearing up. I know I'm going to get flak for this, but I think he should be the next to go. 

My oldest keeps asking me why the male pros always take their shirts off 🤣

Why does it seem like Carrie-Ann gets more time to talk than the other judges? It seems like Len gets the least amount of time, and he's the head judge.

Gabby-For me, this was probably her best dance so far. Also, her "I think he's trying to kill me" and Val's questioning having his shirt off after going after Artem made me lol.

I really like Mark, but his hair drives me nuts.

Charli was technically good as per usual, just no connection or personality.

Alfonso danced! ☺️

Shangela and her new manicure rightfully won over Daniel.

Did anyone else notice that Vanilla Ice was running out of breath?

Vinny/Trevor-It's a moot point now, but Carrie-Ann's on drugs. They are nowhere close to each other, and that decision should have taken 2 seconds.

Heidi/Wayne-Again, moot point, but this one was a little tighter than I thought it would be. Hiedi actually showed a little personality.

Charli/Gabby-Tough call, but honestly why even bother? Charli, barring actually falling down, was winning this one.

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Sd601 said:

While she trained for years in dance, she obviously wasn’t good enough to pursue dance as a career.

Well, to be fair, Charli just graduated high school and became mega famous two years ago at the age of 16 (because of dance). She's still so young and Tik Tok became her career.

• Like 1
  • Love 2