Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/7/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Joy was absolutely right....we'll see how important to them it could have been when programs that they count on are taken away one by one.

Joy was pointing out what has been pointed out time and time again, people vote against their own best interests all the time.  It's frustrating to watch but even more frustrating when you try and convince someone that they're not hurting anyone more than themselves.  

• Applause 4
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Joy was absolutely right....we'll see how important to them it could have been when programs that they count on are taken away one by one.

It may be that people will regret how they voted, and make different choices the next time, but it is also possible that they will be satisfied with how things turn out based on their votes this year. You can attempt to identify what would broaden your appeal or you can wait to see if people decide that they actually do want what you are offering. Either way could work out or not, but if the party wants to get a bigger majority, they need to consider their next steps now because the ball is in their court, not the voters'.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Sadly, Joy, sometimes you have to consider that some people don't want what you're selling, or possibly it just isn't as important to them as it is to you

Or they are only listening to a channel that spews misinformation and they don’t understand what current legislation is offering.

Either way could work out or not, but if the party wants to get a bigger majority, they need to consider their next steps now because the ball is in their court, not the voters'.

Unfortunately without a super majority in the Senate nothing will be accomplished. This is what Joy was saying.

Edited by Haleth
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Programs that get deemed "handouts" which is a word when used really lights a fire under some people's asses in regards to the recipients. The state I'm in recently shut down the chance for anybody new to apply for a rental assistance program that was really helping people especially in the current economy. Those already getting the rental assistance will get  to stay in the program. For how much longer who knows.

The governor was so happy to explain why he was doing so in front of people while on TV saying that the state will continue to say ‘no’ to those types of projects and handouts that encourage people to stay out of the workforce. Then he mentioned there are still too many people in the state “being paid not to work.  Those are his opinions on people in need so he sent $130 million that was still there to fund the rental program back to the US treasury. 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 4

Boring show today, but it wasn't as bad as I usually expect Whoopi's birthday show to be, actually. I liked Sunny's hair--I like when it's put up like that--but those boa arm pieces or whatever, whew. I guess they gave her that to wear because they looked "festive" or something, lol.

16 hours ago, cinsays said:

yes!  very distracting.

as for the show, whoopie sure does like whoopie

Whoopi has always been Whoopi's favorite subject.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Yeah, I would smoke a Whoopi Goldberg strain of weed but I will take a hard pass on her non alcohol drinking take on wine.

Considering the "art" on her past seasons of Christmas sweaters, I continue to question her taste in all things--although I understand she has a wonderful art collection.

12 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

but those boa arm pieces or whatever, whew. I guess they gave her that to wear because they looked "festive" or something, lol.

She wore that "outfit" on an earlier show...but I think she had been wearing a green dress (pants?) and then...for View Your Deal, she slipped on (what I considered) some cheap pink floozy-looking satin robe housecoat.  I was surprised when she walked out to wear it on the show today.  (OR...maybe some segments were taped "to be shown at a later time.")

I changed "robe" to housecoat because it sounds more floozy-ish.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 1

Was Michelle Obama vilified more than Eleanor Roosevelt? This was a little turn in the discussion of people choosing to reverse cosmetic features. I was surprised to hear Joy chime in with the comment that Eleanor was more "vilified" than Michelle, because I suspect many people nowadays know little about Eleanor, and discussions like this tend to focus on more recent history.

I think it is hard to recall the insults to Eleanor because it was a very long time ago, and also because in the years since, she became widely admired for her work before and after being First Lady. Certainly, on a superficial level, Michelle has the advantage of being attractive, even if she doesn't meet "model" standards, while Eleanor was not an attractive person physically. In that respect, Eleanor probably suffered from the same kind of insults that Michelle did (minus the racial aspect), and also had to work against the contemporary expectations of the First Lady as a largely ornamental figure when she became increasingly active politically and socially. 

So, who was right, Joy or Sunny? I think it is probably pretty close, especially since we can readily recall the insults to Michelle but based on the biases at the time concerning women's appearance, behavior, and political activity, I think that Joy is right that Eleanor was more vilified. Eleanor is a great role model for rising above hateful criticism, though, since over time she became admired and even beloved. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Was Michelle Obama vilified more than Eleanor Roosevelt? This was a little turn in the discussion of people choosing to reverse cosmetic features. I was surprised to hear Joy chime in with the comment that Eleanor was more "vilified" than Michelle, because I suspect many people nowadays know little about Eleanor, and discussions like this tend to focus on more recent history.

I think it is hard to recall the insults to Eleanor because it was a very long time ago, and also because in the years since, she became widely admired for her work before and after being First Lady. Certainly, on a superficial level, Michelle has the advantage of being attractive, even if she doesn't meet "model" standards, while Eleanor was not an attractive person physically. In that respect, Eleanor probably suffered from the same kind of insults that Michelle did (minus the racial aspect), and also had to work against the contemporary expectations of the First Lady as a largely ornamental figure when she became increasingly active politically and socially. 

So, who was right, Joy or Sunny? I think it is probably pretty close, especially since we can readily recall the insults to Michelle but based on the biases at the time concerning women's appearance, behavior, and political activity, I think that Joy is right that Eleanor was more vilified. Eleanor is a great role model for rising above hateful criticism, though, since over time she became admired and even beloved. 

Eleanor Roosevelt was  deeply criticized for not playing a "womanly" role--writing a column, traveling the world during war time, taking political stands. Not playing a womanly role was a serious, serious insult at the time--practically unAmerican. And she was also called unAmerican for her expressed views. The irony was young men (especially wounded in hospitals) said her visits were the next thing to seeing their own mothers. Womanly in the real sense of the word. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

Not playing a womanly role was a serious, serious insult at the time--practically unAmerican. And she was also called unAmerican for her expressed views.

Speaking of Un-American - I read that Hoover had an FBI file on Eleanor that was over 3,000 pages long, covering her activities, public and private life, opinions, and so on. It is unbelievable that he did this to the First Lady. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

I think it's sort of a draw between Eleanor and Michelle (and at least one other First Lady). One could argue, aside from racism and the current political era adding to the level of awfulness in the attacks against her, Michelle was attacked in such a way despite not being too active in the political arena herself the way Eleanor Roosevelt was.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

No, no, NO, Alyssa, you (who resigned from the last administration on 12/3/21, after serving as a policy spinner for several years) don’t get to group yourself with Liz Cheney, who sacrificed her political career to try to serve the cause of justice!  In a 1/7/21 interview with Politico, Alyssa stated that she continued to have respect for the last president and didn’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Maybe she was waiting until she got her post-government career offers?

• Love 5

I waited in vain for Sunny to acknowledge her rhinoplasty, especially when she said (accurately, IMO) that criticism of Michelle Obama’s (glorious) looks was largely race related.  Would’ve been interesting to learn whether the much decried white beauty “standards” contributed to Asunción’s decision to get a nose job.  Especially since she won a beauty contest while at Binghampton, apparently before cosmetic surgery.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Re a post above that accused me of "microaggression," Sunny said on The View that her family only calls her Asuncion, & (in an 8/23/21 AARP interview) that she "Americanized" her name for professional reasons.  Thus I didn't feel my (snarky, I confess) use of her birth name to be insulting or denigrating. In the same AARP interview, Sunny stated that her maternal grandmother was a "tiana,", which she defined as "sort of an Indian (HER words) Puerto Rican," so it was startling to learn, as a longtime viewer, that Sunny now considers her mom to be "white." I apologize for any inadvertent "microaggression," but find Sunny to be a tad hypocritical lately, although I admire & respect her work ethic & most of her contributions to The View.

Edited by Oneofem
clarity
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Good show today. Not much else to say, no fireworks or anything. The Woodward interview could've been longer, but it was good as it was, too. Thankfully, no View Your Deal since they did that on Whoopi's birthday. What a relief.

The show is always better when Whoopi isn't there.

Congressman elect Frost has a big future ahead of him.  I look for him to run for Senate after a few years in the House. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I read online that on Thursday's show Whoopi seemed to have a difficult time walking and Sara had to help her up the stairs. And later on seemed to take her arm and guide her. 

What I saw was that they were all seated when the show began. When they returned from commercial break, Whoopi and Sara were already standing behind the display table doing Whoopi's favorite things. They went to break again and returned with everyone seated.  

Does anyone have any info on this? 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Does anyone have any info on this? 

I  remember last year she was hospitalized for sciatica.  Doing a quick google apparently it was bad enough she was using a walker.  Perhaps it's come back?  Sciatica is a chronic condition as far as I know so could be.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 3
On 11/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, Oneofem said:

I waited in vain for Sunny to acknowledge her rhinoplasty, especially when she said (accurately, IMO) that criticism of Michelle Obama’s (glorious) looks was largely race related.  Would’ve been interesting to learn whether the much decried white beauty “standards” contributed to Asunción’s decision to get a nose job.  Especially since she won a beauty contest while at Binghampton, apparently before cosmetic surgery.

Never mind..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Hugs 1
On 11/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I think it's sort of a draw between Eleanor and Michelle (and at least one other First Lady). One could argue, aside from racism and the current political era adding to the level of awfulness in the attacks against her, Michelle was attacked in such a way despite not being too active in the political arena herself the way Eleanor Roosevelt was.

I agree with Sunny about Michelle. We got this beautiful, charming, classy, Princeton and Harvard educated woman, and while she was and is indeed beloved by many, she was also picked apart viciously. She even got crap for showing her beautiful arms. I could go on and on about the double standards, but not sure how much I can say with board rules. 

• Like 4