Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/7/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Jaded said:
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Weird Al was SUCH a breath of Fresh Air! I've loved him ever since I saw "Like a Surgeon" back in the 80s. Then "Eat it" came along. He is one TALENTED Guy. I love him. And his movie is HILARIOUS!

I love him too. Weird Al seems like such a nice guy along with being really talented.

Our family saw him in Phoenix last year (last year?).  His was one of the best live shows I've EVER SEEN.  Clever, lots of precision matching of video and live action.  It was EVERYTHING.  (I've seen "big" entertainers and their "big" tours: Wayne Newton, Bette Midler, Celine Dion, and so many more.)

8 hours ago, A.J. said:

Sunnny may not have called white women roaches, but her statement was problematic.  If a white woman made a similar comment about black or latin people she would have been the first to say it was offensive.  Wrong is wrong.  

I'll have to disagree with you there, I don't see her comments as problematic in any way, shape, or form. If anything was problematic from last week, it was Sara's comments on Tuesday, not Sunny's comments. But of course, Sara isn't being called out for those, whereas Sunny is knocked for anything and everything. I guess Sunny should take that as a sign she's doing something right otherwise Alyssa and Sara wouldn't be so threatened by her.

• Applause 4
  • Love 4

It seems lately I've been knocking Sunny a lot but I really do not dislike her.  In fact I truly admire her intelligence and all her accomplishments (she's definitely the smartest and most accomplished person on the panel).  Sometimes she does rub me the wrong way though.  Yesterday it was when she constantly interrupted Alyssa but when Alyssa tried to take back her time Sunny kept yelling at her LET ME FINISH!  It's not just Sunny, it annoys me anytime someone grabs the mic (so to speak) but gets bent out of shape when someone else tries to butt in.  They all deserve a chance to finish their points.  (Or maybe I'm too polite to interrupt. 😊

(I know a lot of you all disagree with me.  That's ok.  We can still be friends.)

When Sunny made her roach remark I knew a whole lot of people where going to be offended.  There is no way to compare people to roaches in a way that is not offensive.  We all know Sunny has complete disdain for anyone who continues to support Republicans so equating them to roaches is probably not far from how she truly feels.  She should just own it if she's going to be characterized that way anyway.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Yesterday it was when she constantly interrupted Alyssa but when Alyssa tried to take back her time Sunny kept yelling at her LET ME FINISH! 

Haleth, I totally agree with you!  I don't agree with Alyssa at all but (unlike Meghan) she does not interrupt people and she should be given the same courtesy.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Yesterday it was when she constantly interrupted Alyssa but when Alyssa tried to take back her time Sunny kept yelling at her LET ME FINISH! 

In fairness to Sunny, when they had returned from break, Whoopi said Sunny could finish what she was trying to say. And when Sunny was clarifying how Alyssa lied twisted her words, Ms. Alyssa began interrupting. quid pro quo, I guess? And Sunny wasn't yelling "Let me finish" but emphasized to Alyssa to let her finish speaking.

39 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

I don't agree with Alyssa at all but (unlike Meghan) she does not interrupt people

Not people. Just Sunny. She may not do it nastily, but she interrupts Sunny all the time.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And pulling out how it's the "Far Left" who also are "denigrating" and insulting the "other party" as well. Come Again? And then having the nerve to use Michelle Obama's words.

That pissed me off, especially since I don’t seem to recall Alyssa ever “going high.”

Thank God for Weird Al. The movie was so much fun, even though the ending was a little too much for me.

• Love 3

Alyssa's not as bad as McCain--as far as how she speaks goes, not what she says--that's always been true. (That is a very low bar.) But she has interrupted Sunny 3 or 4 times over the past week... If Sunny didn't let her have the last word this time because Alyssa was coming at her, I don't have sympathy for Alyssa. She started drama and got what she deserved.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

When Sunny made her roach remark I knew a whole lot of people where going to be offended. 

As soon as I heard her say it I cringed.  It doesn't really matter if she was using an analogy.  It just sounds bad.  

1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

I don't agree with Alyssa at all but (unlike Meghan) she does not interrupt people and she should be given the same courtesy.

I agree. And let's not forget Sunny was friendly with Meghan.  Alyssa, political beliefs aside, seems like someone who would be fun to hang with.  

24 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Alyssa's not as bad as McCain--as far as how she speaks goes, not what she says--that's always been true.

Alyssa is willing to talk about things other than politics.  Something Meghan was almost always loathe to do. 

Sunny for whatever reason is just getting on my nerves this season.  I think it was Joy who once said something like there is always going to be one of the cohosts that someone doesn't like.  This year for me it's Sunny.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Joy sounded pretty relieved. 

She isn't the only one.  I texted a friend and said you can come off the ledge now.  It's not as bad as predicted.

I enjoyed today's show and I haven't said that in a loooong time.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Sunny for whatever reason is just getting on my nerves this season.  I think it was Joy who once said something like there is always going to be one of the cohosts that someone doesn't like.  This year for me it's Sunny.

Other than Joy, my feelings about the co-hosts have shifted a lot over a very short period of time. Ana and Sunny were getting on my nerves at the end of the last season, but now I've been fine with them the past few weeks and Sara's been taking the crown as the most annoying one for me of the three. (I don't include Whoopi and Alyssa because I don't like them on a normal day.)

As for Whoopi's comments about polls today, actually... The polls ended up being mostly correct? It's only people were afraid that the polls would be within the margin of error in the same direction as it was in 2020.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm afraid to ask what was said on Today's show...

As bluegirl said, nothing bad. Alyssa's attitude from yesterday seems to have evaporated...heh. She did get booed by the audience for suggesting Biden should step down despite the results though. LOL

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I really hope Sunny misheard what her friend said and that the friend meant that the combined time she waited in line plus the time it took her to fill out her ballot was an hour because if it took her friend an hour to fill out her ballot, then there's something wrong with her friend.  I'm in Texas and while I had to wait about an hour in line for early voting, it only took me about five minutes to fill out my ballot.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Alyssa's attitude from yesterday seems to have evaporated...heh.

That was what I was wondering about!

5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She did get booed by the audience one time for suggesting Biden should step down despite the results. LOL

She can take several SEATS, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I really hope Sunny misheard what her friend said and that the friend meant that the combined time she waited in line plus the time it took her to fill out her ballot was an hour because if it took her friend an hour to fill out her ballot, then there's something wrong with her friend.  I'm in Texas and while I had to wait about an hour in line for early voting, it only took me about five minutes to fill out my ballot.  

I hope she misunderstood her friend. I think Sunny said her friend had to do a paper ballot, I thought we all had the voting machines for in person voting.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, Oneofem said:

Otoh, while appreciative of Asunción, I get a little tired of her self righteousness.  Is there a protected class to which she doesn’t belong?  And she often refers to her economically  challenged childhood.  Sunny said today that her mother (previously described by her as an indigenous Puerto Rican) is “white” - really?  I researched Sun a tad online and found that her Puerto Rican mom and aunt were teachers, and Sunny attended the prestigious private Dominican Academy in NYC, where current tuition is $20K.  Probably she had financial help/scholarships, but while teachers aren’t highly paid they also aren’t impoverished (unless they choose to live in expensive areas.) Sunny’s also mentioned in recent months that her grandfather was Jewish; he was apparently from Spain.  We’ve heard frequently that she grew up in the “projects” but she def had the benefit of educated (and loving) maternal (at least) relatives. She talks a lot on the show re law school at Notre Dame, but did undergrad at Binghamton, and changed her major to English after struggling as a biology major, even taking an extra year to graduate. Lucky her to have had that freedom, which ain’t cheap!  And she studied abroad, at Oxford, no less.  She also won a campus beauty contest-wonder why she later had a rhinoplasty? ?  Not trying to bust her chops, but she often touts her underprivileged background and always pounces on any possible racial slight.  I apologize if anything stated above is inaccurate -  but hey, it’s online!

22 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

"Hostin continued, saying, “[Griffin] just said I called white women roaches, which, my mother is a white woman. So I wouldn’t say that. Second of all, what I used was a metaphor, really more of a simile. And I said, white women Republicans. I just read a poll that the suburbs are now voting Republican. That is like roaches voting for Raid.” from online Yahoo! News.    Have I been misunderstanding for years?  Doesn't Sunny claim that Spanish is her first language because her mother is Puerto Rican.

I knew Sunny couldn't come up with the Roaches/RAID one-liner on her own.  Today she attributed it to John Leguizamo.  “Latin people for Republicans are like roaches for Raid. Let’s just get real,” the actor told Bill Maher on Friday’s “Real Time.”

As for their "projects" backgrounds, I'll always wonder how LONG either of them lived in "The Projects,"  Whoopi and Sunny.

These two post really rub me the wrong way. Very micro aggression. The use of Asuncion. "Projects" Questioning Whoopi and Sunny's upbringing. So they managed to better their lives and can't talk about the way the way they grew up?

Sunny's mother can be from Puerto Rico and be white. Sunny very much so can attend Dominican Academy with scholarships. She did attend college at 16.

• Applause 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, falltime said:

I hope she misunderstood her friend. I think Sunny said her friend had to do a paper ballot, I thought we all had the voting machines for in person voting.

I don't know about Texas, but until we in Washington switched to mail-in ballots, we voted on paper ballots using a push pin to make selections. Years ago, in Rhode Island, we had voting machines. Paper ballots took a little more effort and time than the individual levers on voting machines. 

When Sunny mentioned her friend's experience, I thought that perhaps the friend was used to the kind of voting machines that would make voting a straight ticket very easy - just one lever at the top, for those who want to vote only for a single party no matter who the candidates are, and the Texas paper ballots required individual selections. Still, you wouldn't think it would take an hour to vote, especially if you already knew who you want to vote for. 

48 minutes ago, falltime said:

These two post really rub me the wrong way. Very micro aggression. The use of Asuncion. "Projects" Questioning Whoopi and Sunny's upbringing. So they managed to better their lives and can't talk about the way the way they grew up?

Sunny's mother can be from Puerto Rico and be white. Sunny very much so can attend Dominican Academy with scholarships. She did attend college at 16.

Thank you for saying that since some people on here love to use coded language to attack Sunny like those of us of color cannot read between the lines. 

Apparently some people don't know that you can be Latino and White.  Latino is not a race just like being an American is not a race. Americans come in all colors and races the same as Latinos.  Latino is also an American term and used only here. People who live in Latin America identify with their countries and don't call themselves Latinos just like people in Europe identify with theirs.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 12
  • Love 4

What Sunny was saying about her friend made sense to me. She was saying there were like 97 candidates and that it took her an hour to make sure she voted for all Democrats down the line. Even when you use a computer to choose (like we have where I live), the machine prints out the ballot with your choices. Then you scan that printout in another machine that scans it to record and confirm your vote counted.

Not that she completed a paper ballot.

In addition to taking several seats, Alyssa can just FUCK OFF with her ageist remarks about how President Biden accomplished what he could and should “ride off into the sunset.” Really?

I was happy to see that Joy was happy.

And that clip of DeSantis? No Words.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

It seems lately I've been knocking Sunny a lot but I really do not dislike her.  In fact I truly admire her intelligence and all her accomplishments (she's definitely the smartest and most accomplished person on the panel).  Sometimes she does rub me the wrong way though.  Yesterday it was when she constantly interrupted Alyssa but when Alyssa tried to take back her time Sunny kept yelling at her LET ME FINISH!  It's not just Sunny, it annoys me anytime someone grabs the mic (so to speak) but gets bent out of shape when someone else tries to butt in.  They all deserve a chance to finish their points.  (Or maybe I'm too polite to interrupt. 😊

(I know a lot of you all disagree with me.  That's ok.  We can still be friends.)

I agree completely, Haleth.  I also think Sunny's on edge for some reason. Maybe we'll learn about it soon enough.

Below is another comment.  I don't think it's us; I think it's Sunny.  Would she be happier if she didn't sit next to Alyssa?

12 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Sunny for whatever reason is just getting on my nerves this season.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Alyssa is willing to talk about things other than politics.  Something Meghan was almost always loathe to do. 

This cracked me up, Bluegirl.  I automatically thought of one of the high-class women Meghan most admires, Erika Jayne...from one of her favorite intellectual documentaries, "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm in Texas and while I had to wait about an hour in line for early voting, it only took me about five minutes to fill out my ballot.  

It made me wonder if in some states voters are allowed to mark ONE LITTLE AREA if they're voting straight ticket.  Is that how it works? 

Our ballots have every bleenkin' candidate ... including all of our judges.  Judges in my county are appointed, and then we have to vote to retain them every four years.

ETA:   Just looked it up.  We have to wade through FIFTY-FIVE judges and justices on our ballot.  I did not wade!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

It made me wonder if in some states voters are allowed to mark ONE LITTLE AREA if they're voting straight ticket.  Is that how it works? 

Our ballots have every bleenkin' candidate ... including all of our judges.  Judges in my county are appointed, and then we have to vote to retain them every four years.

Just speculating here. On the voting machines I used years ago, the straight ticket lever was physically distanced slightly from the levers per candidate, and I think if you did that, it disabled the other levers. Even so, people sometimes made an error and selected the straight ticket lever. With a paper ballot, I think it would be even easier to inadvertently "select all" and then go ahead and select individuals, which could lead to confusion and get your ballot tossed out.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What Sunny was saying about her friend made sense to me. She was saying there were like 97 candidates and that it took her an hour to make sure she voted for all Democrats down the line. Even when you use a computer to choose (like we have where I live), the machine prints out the ballot with your choices. Then you scan that printout in another machine that scans it to record and confirm your vote counted.

Texas used to have the vote straight party option but that went away..a few years ago, I think?  I never used it, so I can't quite remember when it went away but I feel like it was somewhere within the past five years.  Anyway, while you can't just click a box that automatically picks all the candidates from one party for you, all the candidates are clearly marked with what political party they belong to, so it still shouldn't have taken her friend an hour to fill out her ballot.  And I haven't seen paper ballots here in about 10 years, so I doubt she was filling anything out by hand.  Also, you're allowed to bring a filled out sample ballot (or any other piece of paper with your choices written down on it) to the voting booth, so that also would hurry things along.  97 candidates sounds like a lot but when you consider that several races have four candidates and that for some positions there's only one person running unopposed, you're probably only looking at around 35 actual races she had to vote on, and in all of those, the Democrats would have been clearly marked.  

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Just speculating here. On the voting machines I used years ago, the straight ticket lever was physically distanced slightly from the levers per candidate, and I think if you did that, it disabled the other levers.

I don't know if we had that "lever" in my county because (until THIS election--and hopefully never again) I wouldn't have voted straight ticket.  We've been able to vote by mail in all elections since 1991--maybe one of the first counties to allow it.

7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In addition to taking several seats, Alyssa can just FUCK OFF with her ageist remarks about how President Biden accomplished what he could and should “ride off into the sunset.” Really?

I wonder how Alyssa feels about 89-year-old Chuck Grassley (Republican) running and winning another six-year-term, which he will complete at age 95? If she isn't suggesting he be put out to pasture with comparatively youthful-at-79 Joe Biden (Democrat), then I see an agenda behind her words.

I have neighbors/friends who are Cuban (the family became refugees when Castro came to power) and bristled when I once mistakenly described them as Latino. They informed me that their family descended from Spaniards (and they are indeed blond and blue-eyed). That expanded my understanding of people from the Caribbean and their different heritages, and I am very careful to wait to hear how people describe themselves now before saying a word.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Anyway, while you can't just click a box that automatically picks all the candidates from one party for you, all the candidates are clearly marked with what political party they belong to, so it still shouldn't have taken her friend an hour to fill out her ballot. 

Before we get too off topic, let me say that I don't like the new electronic touch/"smart" machines to choose from. Sometimes I had to hit the button two or three times before the checkmark appeared. And when there are a lot of candidates, I had to scroll, with the arrow, to "show" I reviewed them all even if I knew who I wanted. Back in '92? I liked the ones where we had the electronic lever.

So I have no trouble believing that it took Sunny's friend that long to complete her ballot.

Unlike the others, I'm not so convinced that Trump's power is "over" like Joy was saying to Karl. Or even believed some of what he was saying. I can tell you, no one has ever, ever, ever called me for a poll. Not when I turned 18 or the years since.

Anyhoo...I did appreciate there was no overtalking yesterday. Though I thought they would have had Ana on as well. You know, all the hosts.

In the office today, so won't get to see the show until I get home. So please provide as much detail as possible!😜

48 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

... let me say that I don't like the new electronic touch/"smart" machines to choose from. Sometimes I had to hit the button two or three times before the checkmark appeared. And when there are a lot of candidates, I had to scroll, with the arrow, to "show" I reviewed them all even if I knew who I wanted. Back in '92? I liked the ones where we had the electronic lever.

So I have no trouble believing that it took Sunny's friend that long to complete her ballot.

I missed some of yesterday's show, so I was just rewatching it, and this time, I noticed that Sunny used her friend's experience anecdotally to illustrate "tremendous voter suppression".  The experience involved making your choices, printing out the ballot and then scanning it, as you described earlier. If you are unfamiliar with this method, I imagine it could take longer than usual. I'm not convinced this constitutes "voter suppression", though.  It sounds to me more like states/counties trying to use "updated" technology that doesn't work so well for everyone.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, KittyQ said:

The experience involved making your choices, printing out the ballot and then scanning it, as you described earlier. If you are unfamiliar with this method, I imagine it could take longer than usual. I'm not convinced this constitutes "voter suppression", though.  It sounds to me more like states/counties trying to use "updated" technology that doesn't work so well for everyone.

I agree. There was one year where you slid a card in, voted, it would be recorded on the card, that looked like a credit card, and you would drop it in the box. Done! 

Yesterday's discussion of celebrity endorsements - a couple of thoughts: celebrity endorsements can backfire if the voter doesn't like the celebrity; take the endorsement of a celebrity the same way you take the endorsement of your coworker, friend, bartender, or anyone else you meet; most celebrities have no more insight or expertise than any of those other people. I wouldn't trust Gwyneth Paltrow to choose my doctor, so why should I think she can pick my representative or senator? 

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

Joy listed all the things that the Democratic party is doing and opined that it still didn't get a super majority. Ok, but then she blames the voters for not "getting" it. If only they understood what is good for them. Sadly, Joy, sometimes you have to consider that some people don't want what you're selling, or possibly it just isn't as important to them as it is to you. If this was a business, this might be the time to examine what you are doing and figure out how to align your "product" to your "customers" more closely. Or be happy with your share of the "market" and keep doing what you are doing. Who knows? Maybe people will come around the next time on their own.

• Applause 2
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

yes!  very distracting.

as for the show, whoopie sure does like whoopie

Really?  Whoopie gets a commercial for her new wine?  I don't think I've ever turned off the show entirely - left as background, though.  This morning, though, I was OUT before the Prosecco nonsense was over.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sara and Sunny look terrible today.  Their hairdressers need to be fired. 

Omg Sunny especially.  Wtf was up with the poofy bouffant hairdo?  Trying to outdo the Queens?  Forgetaboutit!

Edited by ForumLou
Fixed
  • LOL 6
24 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Really?  Whoopie gets a commercial for her new wine?  I don't think I've ever turned off the show entirely - left as background, though.  This morning, though, I was OUT before the Prosecco nonsense was over.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it so much if they did it with a sense of humor.  Like, once a year have a segment called "Shameless Self Promotion Day" and let every host hawk their wares.  Sunny can promote her book, Whoopi her sweaters, etc.  But when they put their own stuff in their summer reading recs or favorite things lists, it's just very cringey.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
20 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it so much if they did it with a sense of humor.  Like, once a year have a segment called "Shameless Self Promotion Day" and let every host hawk their wares.  Sunny can promote her book, Whoopi her sweaters, etc.  But when they put their own stuff in their summer reading recs or favorite things lists, it's just very cringey.  

Let us never forget the months long daily mention of Bab's book, "Audition". 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

So, Whoopi has a wine now, too?  Ha! That is hilarious and the most random thing I have heard all week. 

Is Whoopi even a wine drinker?  I am not a wine drinker and know very little about wine but isn't $21.99 cheap for a bottle?

Edited to add:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/celebrity-guide-to-wine-video_n_1819611

Who knew this existed?

Edited by bluegirl147
18 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Is Whoopi even a wine drinker?  I am not a wine drinker and know very little about wine but isn't $21.99 cheap for a bottle?

A twenty dollar bottle of wine is for special events at my house. I am not spending more than 8 dollars for wine on a regular day. I will drink the shit out of expensive wine though, if someone else buys it. I thought Whoopi was an alcoholic or something and quit drinking?

Just found this story and a quote from it: "'I know you're not supposed to admit that you smoke pot, but I don't drink alcohol,' Goldberg concludes on the tape." 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1369534/Whoopi-Goldberg-I-smoked-joint-Oscar-speech.html

Yeah, I would smoke a Whoopi Goldberg strain of weed but I will take a hard pass on her non alcohol drinking take on wine.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
4 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Joy listed all the things that the Democratic party is doing and opined that it still didn't get a super majority. Ok, but then she blames the voters for not "getting" it. If only they understood what is good for them. Sadly, Joy, sometimes you have to consider that some people don't want what you're selling, or possibly it just isn't as important to them as it is to you.

Joy was absolutely right....we'll see how important to them it could have been when programs that they count on are taken away one by one.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I missed some of yesterday's show, so I was just rewatching it, and this time, I noticed that Sunny used her friend's experience anecdotally to illustrate "tremendous voter suppression".  The experience involved making your choices, printing out the ballot and then scanning it, as you described earlier. If you are unfamiliar with this method, I imagine it could take longer than usual. I'm not convinced this constitutes "voter suppression", though.  It sounds to me more like states/counties trying to use "updated" technology that doesn't work so well for everyone.

That's how we vote in the land of real voter suppression.  But it isn't the process of selecting candidates on a screen, printing out and putting in box that is the issue.  Everyone who is cleared to vote uses the same process.  Don't know what Sunny means by that.

• Applause 1