Type keyword(s) to search

Back In The Groove - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hulu has announced the premiere date for its new unscripted series “Back in the Groove,” which is hosted by Taye Diggs. The special four-night event kicks off on Monday, 5th December 2022, with two episodes, on Hulu. Two all-new episodes will be available to stream daily through Thursday, 8th December 2022.   No international release for Disney+ has yet been announced.

Three single women in their 40s, all stuck in the grind of their everyday lives, will check OUT of their comfort zones and check INTO The Groove Hotel, a magical resort on the beautiful island of the Dominican Republic – where the goal is to rediscover their youth, live joyously, and hopefully find love with men HALF. THEIR. AGE. As the saying goes, “you can’t fall in love with someone else until you fall in love with yourself!” At the Groove Hotel, these three women will have the opportunity to do both! Whether they find the perfect fling, friendship, true love, or something in between, this is their chance to take charge and break through the double standards older women face every day. And they’re going to have a lot of fun doing it! The show is hosted by Taye Diggs, who knows a thing or two about getting into the groove.

Premiers December 5th.

After watching episode one: Like with many of these shows, I love the protagonists (even when absolutely plastered, the women are presented as fun, intelligent, well-aware of their situation), and I hate all of the men.

Except Akio, yum. And, Lee, the token fish out of water we're all supposed to find "lovable" and a "goofball." 

Spoiler

Not Steph's own son on the show as a "mole." 😅 That was the most exciting part of the episode, and I can't wait to see how that plays out.

Edited by jonaswan2
On 12/7/2022 at 9:44 AM, partofme said:

His name is Matthew, hopefully he doesn't read this forum.

I had to look him up. I remember him from the first couple episodes, especially because he led the guys in a yoga session. But I don't remember anything else about him. I think they got rid of him pretty early on. 

The set up of the show is very similar to FBoy Island. Not sure if it's the same creators/producers or if they just blatantly ripped them off. But what made FBoy island really enjoyable was that they totally leaned ALL the way into the cheesiness and didn't take themselves too seriously. And Nikki Glaser was a big part of that as the host. I thought Taye Diggs would be filling that role here.  Although the show is titled "Back into the Groove with Taye Diggs," he only showed up for less than 5 minutes in the first episode to greet the guys and he's never been seen again!

I really like the woman, but the stakes aren't as "high" for them to pick the right person as it was on FBoy island, so it's definitely missing that dramatic tension of who will they end up with and will they steal the money!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Series wrap-up:

It was cute, funny, and even empowering at times. Though the endings weren't perfect, I think everything worked itself out in the end.

I will always maintain that there was nobody for Sparkle on that island. Considering her choices, she probably made the best choice for herself at the end.

And I wonder how big the check was for Taye to get a free vacation to the DR and an EP role and credit all for 60 seconds of screentime. 

• Love 2