Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E33: Richard Reeves; Maggie Haberman; Fareed Zakaria

• Start Topic

A very somber end to the episode. I agree with everything Bill said about the impending death of American democracy, and have been trying for the past few months to tell anyone who will listen. Most get glassy-eyed and bored pretty fast. They just don't care. Not enough people are paying attention. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, DXD526 said:

A very somber end to the episode. I agree with everything Bill said about the impending death of American democracy, and have been trying for the past few months to tell anyone who will listen. Most get glassy-eyed and bored pretty fast. They just don't care. Not enough people are paying attention. 

Just as the people in the other countries that he mentioned didn't care or notice until it was too late. A lot of people followed them until they were turned on & the same will happen here, but for 2 years it's been "this is not who we are as a country" & "it could never happen here" when the evidence is staring them in the face & they think "it won't happen to me".

• Love 3

Bill was talking about how people say he has changed. He has not changed, it’s just that if he disagrees with the liberal viewpoint, it is sometimes misunderstood.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Agreed.  He's been pretty consistent in his views for the last 20+ years (his original show was called Politically Incorrect!).  He makes some good points about exactly *why* Democrats (of which I count myself as one) are about to lose.  And not just lose, but lose Democracy.

EDIT: That last New Rules was sad, but likely true.

Edited by ICantDoThatDave
  • LOL 1
On 11/6/2022 at 12:01 PM, Tara said:

Bill was talking about how people say he has changed. He has not changed, it’s just that if he disagrees with the liberal viewpoint, it is sometimes misunderstood.

He has changed...he's become a tool. No one was angry with his counter points to "liberal" views or to occasional attacks on Democrat politicians...what's changed is his attitude towards the right...he's been courting them for a couple of years. Not speaking out against their failed policies and dangerous rhetoric. Agreeing with white nationalists like Jordan Peterson and hard right pundits like Ben Shapiro. His non stop obsession with the COVID protocols that mimic the same spew that almost all the hard right media and politicians vomit out. I'm sorry...I've watched Maher for years and this new rendition of Maher and his show is now just a way for him to get airtime on FOX and sell tickets to his "gigs" in Red states. 

Edited by Hedgehog2022
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6

Between Bill's new rule and The Good Fight this season, I am feeling very dystopian! 

I don't always agree with Bill, but he is still a well read, usually well spoken, obviously calm, intelligent person who is willing to speak civilly with people of opposing views. He believes in truth and science, has some self-awareness and a decent sense of humor. So for me, it's like, jeez, if Democrats can't even get along with Bill, we are indeed truly fucked! He seemed genuinely bummed out to me. I am, too. Still hoping Americans will come through tomorrow, but more than likely stupidity, lies, greed, manipulation, and cultish brainwashing will win the day. 

• Applause 1
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I don't always agree with Bill, but he is still a well read, usually well spoken, obviously calm, intelligent person who is willing to speak civilly with people of opposing views. He believes in truth and science, has some self-awareness and a decent sense of humor. So for me, it's like, jeez, if Democrats can't even get along with Bill, we are indeed truly fucked!

Bill often doesn't get enough credit for those qualities because of some of his other, ah, quirks, that turn people off.

But he feels like a lot of us probably do - like living in America is like being trapped in a car that's speeding and careening wildly out of control. There's an old novelty song that goes "at 60 miles an hour, you just can't get away." It's frustrating because despite its flaws, I love this country and don't want to leave - even if I could afford to. But if things go the way most pundits expect on Election Day, the Gates of Hell are about to re-open.

On 11/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, TVbitch said:

Still hoping Americans will come through tomorrow, but more than likely stupidity, lies, greed, manipulation, and cultish brainwashing will win the day. 

On 11/8/2022 at 12:57 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

...if things go the way most pundits expect on Election Day, the Gates of Hell are about to re-open.

I bring good news from the future!

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1