Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Homefront

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Frank launches an investigation after the Reagan family is harassed when protests against a controversial NYPD unit escalate. Also, Danny and Baez form an unlikely partnership with an informant in order to prevent a murder; Eddie lands in hot water after she defies a direct order; and conflict arises between Erin and the Dream Team when the D.A.'s office strikes a deal with Baker's assailant, on BLUE BLOODS, Friday, Nov. 4 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

I normally am annoyed by Eddie, but I felt for her here - especially when the captain ripped her a new one in front of that doooosh detective.  I get what the captain was trying to do in terms of earning respect, but she could've sternly dismissed Eddie after notice of RIP and ended it there instead of her going on and on.  Plus - where was the closure at the end with the Detective SmugFace giving props to them for finding the girl?

I understand what Baker went through, but her insistence on interfering was over the line.  I don't like the robotic way the actress says her lines either.  She bugs me.  And her tough chick talk doesn't impress me

Good on Frank for turning the tables on that lawyer by giving him a taste of his own medicine.  Harassing an almost 90 y/o man and refusing him to walk on past to get home is a form of elder abuse.  They didn't know if Henry had any conditions of the heart, or if they closed in on him enough to cause him to fall.  He was scared. That is NOT peaceful.  Nor was the protest outside Frank's home.  I believe there are noise ordinances in place for towns/cities past a certain hour.  It looked well past 8/9pm and they were banging drums outside Frank's house

Could've cares less about Danny's plot

I see they've moved past fat shaming Anthony to now fat shaming Sean with Danny's comment about  him being  a 'human garbage disposal'

• Love 2

The way Capt. McNichols trying so hard to earn some respect from Lt. Greer and Det. Hannigan is OTT. And how is she going to justify to them re the “extra canvassing” that she did with Eddie and accidentally found Jackie and her abductor?

Abigail Hawk is not a great actress. So cringey. Instead of looking frustrated and disappointed, she looked angry and snobbish most of the time. 😣

The “human garbage disposal” line is NOT funny at all. Who approved that? The BB writers always make fun of someone’s weight. They don’t make fun of Jamie’s height, Danny’s lack of hair or Grandpa Henry’s teeth. 🙄

ETA:

Bugs gives Baez an adorable name... 😂😂😂

Bugs: "Ahh, Detective Reagan! Where's your partner, partner, Detective Delicious?"

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

the Detective SmugFace giving props to them for finding the girl?

That’ll never happen. 

37 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

And how is she going to justify to them re the “extra canvassing” that she did with Eddie and accidentally found Jackie and her abductor?

As @SnazzyDaisy seems to think, too. You watch, he’ll be in another episode, being more obnoxious than in this one, with a big chip on his shoulder because those who dared to interfere solved the case and rescued the girl. To that I say, stop whining and do the job properly, and maybe you’ll get some of the respect you crave! It’s earned, not granted. 

8 minutes ago, Daff said:

You watch, he’ll be in another episode, being more obnoxious than in this one, with a big chip on his shoulder because those who dared to interfere solved the case and rescued the girl. To that I say, stop whining and do the job properly, and maybe you’ll get some of the respect you crave! It’s earned, not granted. 

Det. Hannigan should be sent to One Chicago universe to work under Sgt. Hank Voight.

• LOL 3

The only storyline I liked was Edie's because it was complete and we got to see everything we needed to. It felt like with the other stories, big events happened off-screen. I want to see Baker being awesome and investigating, not just hear her tell Anthony about it.

Frank/Henry's storyline didn't quite make sense. I'm not sure I totally understand what the "Broken Toys Unit" does, and why are thier methods so controversial. I would have liked a longer scene with more explanation of who they are, what they do, and why Frank brought them back, because the unit does not sound like Frank. I can totally picture Henry creating the unit, but not Frank bringing it back.  

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

The only storyline I liked was Edie's because it was complete and we got to see everything we needed to. It felt like with the other stories, big events happened off-screen. I want to see Baker being awesome and investigating, not just hear her tell Anthony about it.

Frank/Henry's storyline didn't quite make sense. I'm not sure I totally understand what the "Broken Toys Unit" does, and why are thier methods so controversial. I would have liked a longer scene with more explanation of who they are, what they do, and why Frank brought them back, because the unit does not sound like Frank. I can totally picture Henry creating the unit, but not Frank bringing it back.  

I got the impression that in Pop’s day, they went after the hard cases and were given a bit of “leeway” in their methods. Perhaps, a bit of entrapment, rough interrogation, to make the charges stick. Moreover, when they were talking, Pop seemed to indicate that the unit, although “effective”, might not be the best solution in today’s environment.  However, I believe in Frank’s resurrection of the unit, he certainly would have ensured that the officers would not be allowed to cross any serious legal lines, because their efforts would be wasted when the cases went to court. The dialogue between Frank and Garret indicated that the public complaints (remember, they have a citizen oversight committee) amounted to nothing serious-handcuffs too tight, just inconveniences. Again, I think the writers wanted to bring up an issue from current events to incite thoughtful consideration. So, we’re supposed to give it thought, especially after Danny’s fiasco.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, highway61 said:

Thirteen years and we're only hearing about the 'Broken Toys' now? That's a show I'd watch!

Oh, and as a counter opinion, I really like Baker in her crime fighting outfits. That's another show I'd watch!

Both, done, and done, in the 70s and 80s. 

1 hour ago, Daff said:

Both, done, and done, in the 70s and 80s. 

Don't be coy, Daff. What show? 

If I'm looking for a blonde bombshell crime fighter from the 70s and 80s.... First thing comes to mind is Angie Dickinson as 'Police Woman'. If that's not what you meant, let me know so I can watch that show!

And which is the 'Broken Toys' show? Probably not 'Barney Miller'.

5 hours ago, Daff said:

I got the impression that in Pop’s day, they went after the hard cases and were given a bit of “leeway” in their methods. Perhaps, a bit of entrapment, rough interrogation, to make the charges stick. Moreover, when they were talking, Pop seemed to indicate that the unit, although “effective”, might not be the best solution in today’s environment.  However, I believe in Frank’s resurrection of the unit, he certainly would have ensured that the officers would not be allowed to cross any serious legal lines, because their efforts would be wasted when the cases went to court. The dialogue between Frank and Garret indicated that the public complaints (remember, they have a citizen oversight committee) amounted to nothing serious-handcuffs too tight, just inconveniences. Again, I think the writers wanted to bring up an issue from current events to incite thoughtful consideration. So, we’re supposed to give it thought, especially after Danny’s fiasco.

I feel like I'm either way overthinking this or I'm still still missing something. I totally understand what the unit would have been like in Henry's day decages ago and why people in the present would have serious problems with the unit's actions in the past. 

My problem is that the actions of the modern unit do not seem that bad and I'm not sure how the public would have even found out about it. The anger and desire of the crowd for blood or some sort of action seems way out of proportion to what the complaints against the unit are. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

My problem is that the actions of the modern unit do not seem that bad and I'm not sure how the public would have even found out about it. The anger and desire of the crowd for blood or some sort of action seems way out of proportion to what the complaints against the unit are. 

It's just the typical cowardly writing of this show with anything theoretically controversial. The people who criticize the cops are always wrong and hysterical, while the show still says, "Don't get us wrong, it WOULD be wrong to have a group like that...but this conveniently isn't that. We're the totally by the book rogue squad. So we agree with the complaints in theory, but in practice, they're wrong and hysterical, because we're too chicken to take a stand on anything." 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's just the typical cowardly writing of this show with anything theoretically controversial. The people who criticize the cops are always wrong and hysterical, while the show still says, "Don't get us wrong, it WOULD be wrong to have a group like that...but this conveniently isn't that. We're the totally by the book rogue squad. So we agree with the complaints in theory, but in practice, they're wrong and hysterical, because we're too chicken to take a stand on anything." 

This comment was incredibly helpful and clarified multiple things for me. As usual, the problem is poor writing. The show is trying to have it both ways, and in this storyline it really didn't work at all.    

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

This comment was incredibly helpful and clarified multiple things for me. As usual, the problem is poor writing. The show is trying to have it both ways, and in this storyline it really didn't work at all.    

It was the same in the last episode where they wanted Frank to reopen an investigation on a police killing where the officer had already been tried and acquitted in court.  They wanted to have it both ways, and failed at making any point and failed at even making any sense.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, izabella said:

It was the same in the last episode where they wanted Frank to reopen an investigation on a police killing where the officer had already been tried and acquitted in court.  They wanted to have it both ways, and failed at making any point and failed at even making any sense.

Yep, they're just extremely gutless. They constantly want to acknowledge the need for police reform, while never actually showing an instance on the show where police reform is needed. As far as we can see on the show, cops are perfect and the people who criticize them are hysterical, hypocritical assholes...but trust us, we DO agree that police reform is needed! Just never in any incident that takes place on this show. But trust us, we do think it is needed! It's so cowardly. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 11/6/2022 at 2:23 AM, Brian Cronin said:

but this conveniently isn't that.

I saw it this way. Garret and the mouthpiece looked into any complaints against the team, and found nothing out of line on Frank’s watch (and there IS a community oversight committee to pursue them, had they occurred). My take on the story was that the lawyer/publisher was bending the current “truth” of the team’s methods to incite the protests for his own celebrity/political gain. I believe the intended take-away was that it only takes a few good people to stand up for the truth (the victims), and the lawyer seemed to feel he was above, or exempt from the victims protesting him (his outrage and legal threats were great to watch-goose/gander kind of thing). Anyway, rogue cops aren’t exactly in the news these days. Genuine, objective, journalism is. There don’t seem to be any cops around to GO rogue anymore. They’ve all quit, retired, or been fired. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Daff said:

I saw it this way. Garret and the mouthpiece looked into any complaints against the team, and found nothing out of line on Frank’s watch (and there IS a community oversight committee to pursue them, had they occurred). My take on the story was that the lawyer/publisher was bending the current “truth” of the team’s methods to incite the protests for his own celebrity/political gain. I believe the intended take-away was that it only takes a few good people to stand up for the truth (the victims), and the lawyer seemed to feel he was above, or exempt from the victims protesting him (his outrage and legal threats were great to watch-goose/gander kind of thing). 

This makes perfect sense. I feel like this is one of those storylines that needed an extra line or in a few places to clarify the situation for the viewers.  

2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

This makes perfect sense. I feel like this is one of those storylines that needed an extra line or in a few places to clarify the situation for the viewers.  

Well, @Brian Cronin has his point of view, as well, which is just as valid. I’ve been watching this drama since inception because…Tom Sellick! My experience has been that the stories present situations that inevitably fall in the grey areas, don’t promote one side over another, and seem to want viewers to go away and ponder. As with LAO, the writers have tried to keep stories consistent with current events. This episode reminded me of the one last season where the Judging Amy brother stood on the street corner with his cell, video taping police, all the while mouthing off to exacerbate the situation (again, current phenomena). I’ve never watched a BB episode that didn’t have me thinking and weighing until the next one. I don’t think you’ll get the clear-cut message you want from these plots, as I believe they’re intended for you to decide for yourself (but the information you need is often within the rapid-fire dialogue-you did not miss any of it).  Kind of why I keep watching each season. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daff said:

I don’t think you’ll get the clear-cut message you want from these plots, as I believe they’re intended for you to decide for yourself (but the information you need is often within the rapid-fire dialogue-you did not miss any of it).  Kind of why I keep watching each season. 

I don't care about a clear cut message. I can about good storytelling, mainly understanding the basic plot, especially what is happening and why it is happening especially how did we get from point A to point B. While I'm willing to give them some wiggle room because TVLand Logic is a real thing that exists, it has to at least make sense within TVLand logic. I have little patience for Thing X is happening solely because the plot demands it, like last week when the mayor demaded that Frank reopen a case for absolutely no logical reason.

My main problem with this episode was that it wasn't clear what the Broken Toys unit was doing in the present that was so terrible and horrible that it would motivate a large group with cameras to confront Henry. It was unclear if the issue was what the unit had done in the past when Henry was commisioner or people were taking issue with what the unit was doing in the present day.     

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Daff said:

I saw it this way. Garret and the mouthpiece looked into any complaints against the team, and found nothing out of line on Frank’s watch (and there IS a community oversight committee to pursue them, had they occurred). My take on the story was that the lawyer/publisher was bending the current “truth” of the team’s methods to incite the protests for his own celebrity/political gain. I believe the intended take-away was that it only takes a few good people to stand up for the truth (the victims), and the lawyer seemed to feel he was above, or exempt from the victims protesting him (his outrage and legal threats were great to watch-goose/gander kind of thing). Anyway, rogue cops aren’t exactly in the news these days. Genuine, objective, journalism is. There don’t seem to be any cops around to GO rogue anymore. They’ve all quit, retired, or been fired. 

Oh, that's totally the position of the episode, but that's the point of EVERY Blue Bloods episode involving police reform. The police are never actually at fault in any of these controversies, it's always some hysterical/hypocritical liberal (often a POC, but occasionally they'll mix things up with an effete White guy) that is taking advantage of the political climate to unfairly pillorize the police. But, of course, they also want to make it very clear that if there WAS a problem, it would have been taken care of, it's just that there never actually IS a problem. 

I legit don't mind if these plots occur, it's a reasonable enough plot idea, my problem is that's pretty much the ONLY type of plot they do with these sorts of topics. 

• Love 3

Regardless of whether the group had a valid complaint against the Broken Toys or Henry, them preventing him from leaving could be considered illegal.  So, I disagree with Frank’s support team that the tactics were legal.  It could have been Unlawful Restraint or False Imprisonment. Both crimes.  Actual physical restraint is not required. Also, it’s possible the actions met the elements of criminal stalking statutes.  And, there are the civil causes of action for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress and Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress. This might bring money damages.  Usually, victims have some remedy for relief.  Franks method worked for the show, but they could have explored other remedies too.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1