Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: When I Get to the Border

• Start Topic

On 11/4/2022 at 9:58 AM, Shellie said:

I have a problem believing this woman could not find any doctor in her part of Idaho who would terminate an ectopic pregnancy. Her own doctor wouldn't, but surely there are others because technically doing so is not illegal there. The law says abortions are allowed to save the woman's life. 

I'm also confused about where they were going when the highway traffic got jammed up. I was thinking they could bring the woman back to Pullman, but that's only like 10 miles.

I agree. As a former OB nurse, I can't see that this woman would not have been able to find a doctor. There was no hope in her situation, so doing nothing was practically sentencing her to death. More likely, the doctors responsible would be charged for not intervening.

To me, that was such a bogus case.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It's not that different, though.  Can the average 10 year old really carry a pregnancy to term?  I'm going to guess no... it was definitely a threat to her life; a definite threat to her health at the very least.  

No, I don't think they can. I remember reading about that case with the 10-year-old rape victim and a doctor weighed in saying it was a life threatening situation because a 10-year-old's body isn't developed enough to carry a pregnancy to term.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, renatae said:

I agree. As a former OB nurse, I can't see that this woman would not have been able to find a doctor. There was no hope in her situation, so doing nothing was practically sentencing her to death. More likely, the doctors responsible would be charged for not intervening.

Sadly, it is very real.  I’m glad Grey’s covered the topic…it is just that they can be so ham handed.  

• Love 8
On 11/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, PepSinger said:

I work in an OB/GYN department, and I am here to tell you that there was nothing unrealistic about Addison and Bailey’s dialogue. That screaming monologue that Addison gave is pretty much how some doctors reacted behind the closed doors of their offices. I will always remember that day. Even though this show is long in the tooth, there are still plenty of people who watch it versus watching the news, and if one person learned something new or had their mind changed, then this episode was worth it. Especially when Miranda was talking about her incomplete miscarriage and explicitly said a the treatment for an incomplete miscarriage (D & C) is the same for an abortion (D & C). To me, the scene with the mother dying talking about all of the things that she didn’t want to miss about her daughter’s life was heartbreaking and depressing because I know that *will* happen in real life. That little girl, the mother, and her husband all deserved better. And you know what? Her fetus is still dead at the end of the day, so no one’s life was saved. Flames, flames on the side of my face.

thanks for giving us the comparison to the real world--and extra points for working in a Clue reference.

I recently got diagnosed with a possible cancer--surgery is coming up and hopefully that will take care of it. But one thought that came to mind was thank goodness I'm past child bearing years--because there is no way I'm pregnant. If I was, I'm pretty sure the surgery would be incompatible with a pregnancy and I'd have to move to a different state to get treated. Waiting almost a year to take care of this is a non-option. 

• Hugs 10
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, renatae said:

I don't know the specifics of the law in Idaho but I do know that at the time  these laws started passing there were huge discussions in hospital legal departments over what was and was not legal and decisions were made to not make decisions because a patient who went elsewhere to get treatment wasn't a lawsuit waiting to happen.  

This case was a no brainer in a lot of ways but there were cases that seemed clear cut to me that legal advised against and the patients were sent elsewhere and in Idaho there are a lot of places where Washington State is absolutely the most logical place to go.  I have friends in Montana who go to Spokane for any kind of major procedure.   Depending on your location in Idaho you may be well closer to Washington than Boise.   

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

Very late to the viewing party, so I just have a few comments about the previous comments:

1. Yes, the main story was heavy handed. But heavy handed may be what’s needed now. Subtle doesn’t seem to be getting the message across. Addison Julia Sugerbakered the hell out of that speech and she was magnificent. No complaints here.

2. We have known for some time now that Zola is the only child that matters. I sometimes forget that Meredith even has other children. (I think she does, too.)

3. I blame Amelia for the gossip. Before this episode, Baby Shepherd had reason to think the gossip was fleeting and would die down. But then Amelia handed him the baby in full view of others, and his instinct was just to escape the uncomfortable situation. Clearly he’s non confrontational, and so I get that.. The clothes buying situation happened soon after, before he could even figure out how to handle the previous situation, and again he was caught off guard. Did he handle things perfectly? No. But would any of this have happened if Amelia had respected his boundaries and been less oblivious? Absolutely not. She says she’s aware of how gossip spreads in the hospital, so maybe she should have thought of that before being so familiar with a supposed random resident.

4. I fully agree that a Teddy/Owen-free episode is the best kind of episode. Does anyone actually like them? Why are they still here?

5. Didn’t see much commentary about Koracick, so I’ll add my own. It was good to see him. I know it’s just a guest shot, but I would not be mad to see him pull an Addison and return to Seattle. As long as he’s fully over Teddy, because that would be a total dealbreaker.

• Love 4
On 11/4/2022 at 1:16 AM, JeanJean said:

I see your point. In fairness, though, she puts him in positions where people think that.

Correct and she has refused to respect his boundaries. She shouldn't have made him drop Scout off or any of the other things she did. Amelia is just as much to blame for this and she needs to take responsibility for it. 

My middle child is similar to Zola and we have had a very rough year with her anxiety and panic attacks. I'm surprised Zola isn't on meds and isn't doing more therapy or more intensive therapy. I enjoy Jackson and Mere together and don't understand why that pairing was never explored. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1