Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: An Ugly Car, an Affair and Some Kickass Football

nelroy78
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with him quoting from the Bible, but it's pretty rich coming from a man who has consistently written divisive things on his vanity cards over the years.  Sometimes it's a subtle dig, but it's there.  He talks out of both sides of his mouth.  

I think someone could make a divisive statement, and later realize that we're getting too heated with our politics.  Or realize it's a problem but still struggle with it.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think someone could make a divisive statement, and later realize that we're getting too heated with our politics.

He's repeatedly made divisive statements over the years (I've read every single vanity card he's written with this show), so for me, it's a little too late for him to try to walk back his comments now.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2022 at 10:18 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Lorre is pretty much incapable of having any marriage be a happy marriage and it's usually because of the woman.  Oddly I think the only exception to this is Sheldon and Amy.  Not sure what to make of that.

Slightly O/T, Bonnie and Adam in Mom; Victor and Marjorie in Mom. (Though those are women over 60...maybe it has something to do with that)>

• Applause 2
18 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I was not impressed with Mandy sleeping with Georgie again.  Once she knew he was only 17 she was horrified.  Now it's ok?  He's still only 17.

Good point. I guess I glossed over it? But now that you mention it, the reactions and dialogue between Mandy and Meemaw the morning after make more sense.

12 hours ago, ChitChat said:

He's repeatedly made divisive statements over the years (I've read every single vanity card he's written with this show), so for me, it's a little too late for him to try to walk back his comments now.  

I don't recall him saying anything particularly offensive, certainly not compared with things others have said.  Some things I thought were slightly slanted, but everybody has an opinion.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Good point. I guess I glossed over it? But now that you mention it, the reactions and dialogue between Mandy and Meemaw the morning after make more sense.

I wasn't sure where Meemaw was coming from on this.  Was she trying to suggest that Mandy should be embarrassed because she is sneaking around with a 17 yr old or just that she was sneaking around in the first place?  Or something else?

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I wasn't sure where Meemaw was coming from on this.  Was she trying to suggest that Mandy should be embarrassed because she is sneaking around with a 17 yr old or just that she was sneaking around in the first place?  Or something else?

I don't think Meemaw really cared what Mandy was doing. I think she just got off on making Mandy uncomfortable😂😂😂😂 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Some things I thought were slightly slanted, but everybody has an opinion.

I feel like he used his vanity cards as a bully pulpit at times, so for him to suddenly call for civil discourse is very hypocritical of him.  He even had a vanity card some time ago in which he said that he was going to temper his opinions so as not to offend portions of his audience, but that lasted about two shows and he was right back at it.  I just look past the dufus that he can be and try to enjoy the product he puts out with this show.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

What was offensive about saying to love each other and vote?

I didn't say that.  You might've missed my initial post on this.  Here's what I said:  "Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with him quoting from the Bible, but it's pretty rich coming from a man who has consistently written divisive things on his vanity cards over the years.  Sometimes it's a subtle dig, but it's there.  He talks out of both sides of his mouth."  

My point?  He's been very divisive through his vanity cards for years, and now he's calling for civility.  Where was this love the past 6 seasons? 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I didn't say that.  You might've missed my initial post on this.  Here's what I said:  "Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with him quoting from the Bible, but it's pretty rich coming from a man who has consistently written divisive things on his vanity cards over the years.  Sometimes it's a subtle dig, but it's there.  He talks out of both sides of his mouth."  

My point?  He's been very divisive through his vanity cards for years, and now he's calling for civility.  Where was this love the past 6 seasons? 

Ah ha! Now I get what you were saying.
Anyhoo, I took my reply to the Small Talk thread, even though this Vanity Card went with this episode,  because in general the Vanity Cards reference more than one episode, and, anyway, this one is not about the episode.

• Like 3
On 11/3/2022 at 10:05 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Well, I’m glad that George got his job back, but I wish it hadn’t come at the expense of Wayne’s marriage breaking up. So Darlene did a 180 into a cheating bitch who got pregnant by Wayne’s best friend? Getting strong Two and a Half Men vibes…but at least George went to bat for Wayne too.

Georgie is now of age now, right? So his hookup with Mandy in this episode is no longer complicated?

Mandy said in a previous episode he wouldn't turn 18 until after the baby was born. Still creepy.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Darlene seems to be doing just fine so far. I’m sure the church won’t shun her as long as she marries her new boyfriend.

I'm not sure they even go to the same church, so she's probably fine there, too.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:48 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

but in the process they're throwing Mary and Sheldon under the bus and that sticks in my craw.

Whereas I'm fine with it.  Sheldon has always been my least favorite character, so to find that his impressions of childhood events might be wrong doesn't bother me at all.  And while I found Mary funny, I didn't actually like her.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, aqusdealer said:

They seem to be writing Missy into more age inappropriate statements and duplicitous comments [ie. test cancellation] and I don't like it. 😕

I found nothing age inappropriate about it.  I was a tween girl once, and my friends and I definitely would've tried to take advantage of the situation.

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I found nothing age inappropriate about it.  I was a tween girl once, and my friends and I definitely would've tried to take advantage of the situation.

Agreed.  What bothered me about that situation was the way the teacher immediately got on the phone blasting her husband for having the nerve to tell his friends she was cheating on him and pregnant by another man.  How long did she think she was going to be able to keep that little secret?

• Love 5

I'm confused about a couple of things. 

George was originally fired because the parents complained that the team was losing all the time. The storyline ctossed multiple episodes with a couple of the dads rubbing it in, so the Principal fired him. So now, just like that he gets his job back?

Darlene - did we see her before as a teacher at the school? That surprised me.

12 hours ago, aemom said:

Darlene - did we see her before as a teacher at the school? That surprised me.

I was wondering about that too.  Did they do this just for that one small scene with Missy?  Because we've met Darlene before, and she's certainly been talked about before but I don't recall anyone saying she taught at the same school Missy attends.  

On 11/5/2022 at 1:26 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I thought Leonard and Penny were happy.  I found it hard to take Sheldon and Amy as a couple, he was just too bizarre. 

Me too! Bernadette and Howard were happy too imo. I give them leeway for hijinks because you have to have hijinks in these shows but on the the whole I thought they were all pretty happy couples.

• Love 3