Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: The System

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Stick to discussion of the episode, please. Discussion or mention of future events is NOT ALLOWED in episode topics, including mention of individuals who have not yet appeared or events that occur in future decades. Posts will be removed; repeated violations may incur further sanctions.

• Start Topic

I think the issue regarding knowledge of bulimia and eating disorders is not so much about whether the general public understood what they were in the '80s and early '90s (I agree with the posters upthread that eating disorders were commonly talked about at this time, especially in the wake of Karen Carpenter's death), but rather whether the Royal Family itself (importantly the Queen, Philip, and Charles) did. Diana's lament in the Morton book was that the RF didn't see the bulimia as a sign that things were wrong with the marriage, but rather thought that the marriage was failing because of Diana's bulimia and other mental health issues. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 11/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, jeansheridan said:

I think Elizabeth as Diana is very good. Her charm at the hospital, the drama of the clandestine tapes, the tension with Philip. Love it.

Carriage driving is a big thing, even in the US. And I appreciated a lesson in how the reins work! Imagine controlling four horses with two hands! Amazing.

Really...just like back in our Old West.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, ombelico said:

I think the issue regarding knowledge of bulimia and eating disorders is not so much about whether the general public understood what they were in the '80s and early '90s (I agree with the posters upthread that eating disorders were commonly talked about at this time, especially in the wake of Karen Carpenter's death), but rather whether the Royal Family itself (importantly the Queen, Philip, and Charles) did. Diana's lament in the Morton book was that the RF didn't see the bulimia as a sign that things were wrong with the marriage, but rather thought that the marriage was failing because of Diana's bulimia and other mental health issues. 

Couldn't it be both ways?

BTV, isn't it common in anorexia that a patient denies she is sick?

On 11/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, LadyIrony said:

I think Phillip possibly had some kind of innocent romance going with her, not in a sexual sense but just common interests. Philip seemed very different to the Queen who comes off as more simple. Philip has curiosities about things like the old wagon and enjoys talking about a variety of topics. 

The way I read their interaction was that Philip was certainly enthralled with his godson’s wife, and she probably just enjoyed the attention/flirtation. That that older powerful men aren’t seen as sexy, but I think if she wanted to have an affair (in a sexual sense) she had other choices. HE would’ve been up for it though- but only if she initiated it (that was his godson’s wife and all). I am sure many of us have encountered a situation where a someone we weren’t interested in paid attention to us and it was still flattering.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:21 PM, ombelico said:

I feel so badly for Diana (and anyone suffering with such a disease) but I think the issue was more not that people weren’t aware these things existed (they were), but the “why” is something so varied between each person and requires extensive treatment. I think it was more a “okay someone needs to fix her so she stops doing this, because it’s unhealthy for her” and not “what is causing her to behave this way”. More of “just don’t do it”. (Which of course doesn’t help the person suffering)

During the scenes where Diana was giving her interview, I thought the costume designer had her casual wardrobe down pat. Iconic looks are much easier to get right, but the “every day wear”, her jeans, sweatshirts, sweaters etc, we’re all very on point from what I remember from my childhood!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1