Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/31/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 31 – This Halloween, “The View” is channel surfing through generations of classic tv; Randall Park (“Blockbuster”); annual kids Hot Topics costumes; Aubrey Plaza (author, “The Return of the Christmas Witch” and “White Lotus”); performance from the cast of Broadway’s “Into the Woods”

Tuesday, Nov. 1 – Exclusive interview with Cherelle Griner, wife of WNBA star Brittney Griner who is imprisoned in Russia; Anne Hathaway (“Armageddon Time”)

Wednesday, Nov. 2 – Matthew Perry (author, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir”)

Thursday, Nov. 3 – Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”); Cheech Marin (The Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art & Culture of the Riverside Art Museum)

Friday, Nov. 4 – The Political View with Lt. Governor John Fetterman, candidate for the Pennsylvania Senate

• Thanks 1

Looks like a good week.  I'm not sure Fetterman should be doing live interviews though, no matter how friendly.

So their costumes are classic tv.  I'm going to a party tonight where the theme is classic tv.  My husband and I decided to be a bit more literal, dressing as a classic television and logo.

• LOL 2

I loved the show and I am not one to enjoy halloween shows. They seemed to be enjoying themselves too.  I can just imagine how sourpuss Megzy would have been.  

I actually thought the opening skit was good and loved Charo, both the Ana version and the real one and the final production was well done.

Was not familiar with the other guests but enjoyed them.

Good way to end the week.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

The show was not bad , nice to see  Charo, she is in great shape , but her English hasn’t improved in 40 years ? It was hard to understand most of what she was saying .   But , she deserves credit for for being a najor star when she has no real talent.

• Sad 1

I wouldn't say she has no talent.  Certainly being a recognized celebrity and actress (I'll give you she always plays herself) for 50+ years is a talent.  And she does play a phenomenal classical guitar.  Wish she had done that instead of the cute ditty.

• Applause 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wouldn't say she has no talent.  Certainly being a recognized celebrity and actress (I'll give you she always plays herself) for 50+ years is a talent.  And she does play a phenomenal classical guitar.  Wish she had done that instead of the cute ditty.

Charo promised to play classical guitar on her next visit to The View.  As a musician, Charo has performed and recorded in various styles for five decades. She released a series of disco recordings in the 1970s, most notably Dance a Little Bit Closer (1977). In 1995, her flamenco album Guitar Passion won the Female Pop Album of the Year award at the Billboard International Latin Music Conference and was named best female Latin pop album by Billboard.[2][8] In an interview, she said, "Around the world I am known as a great musician. But in America I am known as the cuchi-cuchi girl."

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Since Joy was on, I checked out Monday and the costumes were actually pretty good. I thought Ana looked the best.

Seemed like today's show ended up being mostly about spousal pain or grief going from the discussion of the brutal attack of Pelosi's husband to Boseman's widow and then Griner's wife back-to-back.

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Since Joy was on, I checked out Monday and the costumes were actually pretty good. I thought Ana looked the best.

Seemed like today's show ended up being mostly about spousal pain or grief going from the discussion of the brutal attack of Pelosi's husband to Boseman's widow and then Griner's wife back-to-back.

Agreed and on the last one and I understand that her sentence is ridiculous & politically motivated BUT, since when is it okay to take a drug that is illegal in the country you are entering into said country ?  She should have watched midnight express before even thinking about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, orangekit said:

nice to see  Charo, she is in great shape , but her English hasn’t improved in 40 years ?

Back in the '70s, I always used to think Charo exaggerated her poor pronunciation for comedic effect.  I still think that.  😄

Great costumes yesterday.  It's always fun to see the View ladies as well as other daytime hosts dressed up for Halloween.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

RE JENNIFER HUDSON ... first my snark:

• Sunny exclaims:  She can sing.
  • Whoopi adds:  If they discover that she can sing...  (IF??)

And who do they think Jennifer Hudson is?  Apparently not someone who won these awards that all require SINGING!

• An American Idol finalist (7th)
  • Winner of two Grammys (one for Best R&B album)
  • A Soul Train Award

I'm not commenting on all her other acting successes and her new TV talk show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:
11 hours ago, orangekit said:

but her English hasn’t improved in 40 years ?

Back in the '70s, I always used to think Charo exaggerated her poor pronunciation for comedic effect.  I still think that. 

I agree.  I do think she's older than advertised.  I'm 82 and think she was close to my age when she hit the TV scene in the 60s.  What does it matter; she's still a fun entertainer.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

And who do they think Jennifer Hudson is?  Apparently not someone who won these awards that all require SINGING!

• A Soul Train Award

I’m sure she was joking. Whoopi knows JH can sing. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Back in the '70s, I always used to think Charo exaggerated her poor pronunciation for comedic effect.  I still think that.  😄

I'm pretty sure she does. As does Sofia Vergara.

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

• A Soul Train Award

I think Whoopi and Sunny were just trying to be funny.

I do wonder, though, if Whoopi realizes that JHud is an EGOT.

• Applause 1
10 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

I’m sure she was joking. Whoopi knows JH can sing. 

And also has an EGOT.

1.  I usually GET a joke.  I don't think she was joking.
  2. THANKS, Haleth!  I forgot she was an EGOT!  I worried about her when Whoopi heard the news.

I was a little surprised that Whoopi didn't jump in with her usual comment about polls when Sunny and Sara were quoting conflicting poll results. I happen to agree with Whoopi concerning the use of polls to prove points, but typically she makes this comment when someone uses poll numbers, and today she didn't.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

I loved Chandler and Mathew Perry.  But a word of caution and concern.  Mathew you really need to wear sun screen and a hat when out in the sun.  Any coloration from the sun is damage to your skin.  Take care.  

I don't know if that an was from the sun or not, but it looked terrible

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Oh, Sara. Shut up now before you stick your foot further into your mouth. Stop it, girl. 

She was more gross than she's ever been on the show before, she was very hostile to Sunny. I think the show is forcing her to fill the Abby role to Alyssa, tbh.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What happened?

They were talking about Affirmative Action. You can probably guess from there. Alyssa and Joy mostly stayed out of it, although Joy did read a quote by Clarence Thomas from the '80s when he was saying how much he benefited from Affirmative Action to highlight his hypocrisy. Truly a case of shutting the door to the people coming behind you. Anyway, Sunny also said she had benefited from Affirmative Action and that, despite the smears that it gives advantages to people who don't have the grades, she had a 4.0 GPA. Sara made the whole discussion about race even though, as Whoopi pointed out, the group most benefited by it were White women...

I agreed with Whoopi actually, Affirmative Action was simply about overcoming bias in the process, where the usual groups are often denied even when they have the same grades to deserve entry and that isn't simply a case of racial bias but also bias based on gender, class, and so on.

• Love 7

Sunny just has a strange ability to piss me off even when I'm in the middle of agreeing with her.

That crap about having to pay for her poor boy to attend Harvard because he "didn't qualify" for a scholarship with a disgusted look on her face really stuck in my throat. First off he didn't have to go to Harvard & secondly maybe if he was the brilliant little angel that you keep saying he is then he may have qualified through exceptional results rather than have you imply something was amiss.

• Fire 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agreed with Whoopi actually, Affirmative Action was simply about overcoming bias in the process, where the usual groups are often denied even when they have the same grades to deserve entry and that isn't simply a case of racial bias but also bias based on gender, class, and so on.

Whoopi was also right when she said the need for affirmative action regarding school admissions was because there was a bunch of people who didn't want people who didn't look like them to be sitting beside them in schools. Here we are decades later and IMO that is why these lawsuits are in front of SCOTUS.  They want things to go back to the way they were.

Whoopi said she was on Twitter regarding her quitting smoking????  

Like her I decided to quit and that was it my mind was made up. It will be 20 years next May.

I wish all the best for Matthew Perry. He was always my favorite Friend.  I'm on the waiting list at two libraries for his book.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lifesabeach said:

I loved Chandler and Mathew Perry.  But a word of caution and concern.  Mathew you really need to wear sun screen and a hat when out in the sun.  Any coloration from the sun is damage to your skin.  Take care.  

Skin coloration, whether by sun or spray tan, is the least of this guy's problems.  It's crazy seeing all the other Friends thriving professionally and personally, and this guy is just a trainwreck.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Skin coloration, whether by sun or spray tan, is the least of this guy's problems.  It's crazy seeing all the other Friends thriving professionally and personally, and this guy is just a trainwreck.

He looked orange.  I wonder if it was a bad spray tan job.  He really looked awful.

• Like 2

I’m catching up and Joy’s “So what? Who Cares?” and her costume made up for that cringey skit!😂😂😂😂😂

But good Lord. That massive wig Sunny was sporting had to wear a ton. Sunny barely moved her head! Probably fear of it falling off her head!

Loved Whoopi’s costume too!

As for the discussion about Jennifer Hudson-Whoopi was KIDDING! She was being self-deprecating when she said that if TPTB could have seen Jennifer and see she “Can REALLY SING!” Whoopi would be out of a job in Sister Act as Jennifer spent half of her show singing the songs from that movie. She was joking.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It makes me sad to see him. He was my favorite Friend too. I fear for his life. Hope he is strong enough to continue to overcome his demons.

• Love 1

Interesting that only Sara seemed to recognize that people will vote on the issues that are most germane to their own lives, regardless of what people on talk shows say. In everyday life, we prioritize things that affect us the most, and people will vote for candidates or issues that come closest to their needs. And no, Whoopi, there is no universal "right" or "wrong" vote. What may be "right" to you, may not be for me.

Concerning crime - the panelists only seemed to focus on the commission of crimes, but don't discuss the other part of the legal system. If criminals aren't getting arrested (see the increase in crimes like shoplifting, for example) or aren't getting convicted and sentenced for appropriate amounts of time, that makes people lose confidence in the justice system. If city or state governments fail to enforce existing laws, it contributes to an overall increase in crimes of all sorts, not just high-profile violent crimes, and that has plenty of people worried and could be a significant factor in how they vote.

• Love 1

This is the third show now that Alyssa has overtalked Sunny, and then when she's done, Sara jumps in to tag team Sunny afterwards. I'm getting tired of this show's double standards. If you supposedly want everyone to be able to speak on this show, then let Sunny finish her points without talking over her as much as you do Alyssa. And after the hostility from Sara towards Sunny these past two shows, Sara can f*** off altogether, imo.

Even despite all that against her, Sunny got several good shots out anyway, which is probably the reason they're trying to dogpile her every day now. "Roaches voting for Raid." 😄

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

Sarah must have gotten a talking to from production because she's definitely leaning into having contrary opinions.  While I don't necessarily agree with all her opinions, I do like that she's standing up for herself more and not letting others over talk her.  

Both Angela Bassett and Cheech Marin were fantastic interviews.   

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Blissfool said:

It makes me sad to see him. He was my favorite Friend too. I fear for his life. Hope he is strong enough to continue to overcome his demons.

WOW!!!! What really got me was how in the midst of this MASSIVE disruption that his addiction caused, he did not once miss work and how even when in the midst of brutal hangovers (and I know of what he speaks!) he showed up on set ready to do his job. When these rich pampered celebs come on and whine and moan about how hard fame is and how it drove them to addiction, Perry is refreshing because he states that he really really wanted fame but he obviously had a myriad of emotional/psychological problems that the fame seemed to magnify. 

I don't usually read these books but this one I will definitely explore more of. To say that this guy's been through a lot is the understatement of the year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

If you supposedly want everyone to be able to speak on this show, then let Sunny finish her points without talking over her as much as you do Alyssa. And after the hostility from Sara towards Sunny these past two shows, Sara can f*** off altogether, imo.

Unless one interrupts Sunny (even Whoopi), there's no getting a word in these days  She seems to be carried away with herself.  I thought she was over the top yesterday...and not in a good "passionate" way.  Just read this online: "The View" co-host Sunny Hostin compared White suburban women voting Republican to "roaches voting for Raid" on Thursday, outraging one of her fellow panelists. 

Roaches and Raid?  Who's writing her "hilarious" lines?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:
21 hours ago, debbie311 said:

He looked orange.  I wonder if it was a bad spray tan job.  He really looked awful.

He was on another show & said he had a "real tan" from playing a lot of pickleball.

SURELY, someone could have given his hair a better look before he got on camera.  That added to the "off" look.   I hope everything works out for him.  I think this is WAY TOO EARLY to be on a book tour...and he knows it too.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 11/1/2022 at 7:39 AM, Oneofem said:

Did Joy refer to her persona as Kate  Bundy??

I don't recall whether she did or not, but I'm EIGHTY-TWO!  I give all my peers a break on stuff like this.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:47 AM, orangekit said:

But , she deserves credit for for being a major star when she has no real talent.

CHARO?  "No real talent?"  Perhaps you're too young to know her entertainment history. She's been known for most of her life for her incredible (award-winning) talent as a classical guitarist.  She's a composer, writer, comedian, and always a quick-witted and entertaining guest on television.  She was a headliner in Vegas in the 70s, paid as much as Sinatra.  Although one can't believe the "net worth" listed on the Internet, hers is shown as $60mil.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
On 11/1/2022 at 4:16 AM, Haleth said:

YES!  She apparently is an amazing talent.

• Applause 1
On 11/2/2022 at 12:04 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

Sunny just has a strange ability to piss me off even when I'm in the middle of agreeing with her.

Her SNOOTY attitude is getting to me too!  Perhaps Production is irritated and they sicced Sara on her.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:04 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

That crap about having to pay for her poor boy to attend Harvard because he "didn't qualify" for a scholarship with a disgusted look on her face really stuck in my throat. First off he didn't have to go to Harvard & secondly maybe if he was the brilliant little angel that you keep saying he is then he may have qualified through exceptional results rather than have you imply something was amiss.

My bolding...because it's funny.  Her poor boy may have been accepted at Harvard because of Sunny's success (or money or connections) ...and who's to say she didn't grease the skids a bit?  We KNOW she's not above interfering at school.  Let's hope he graduates within four years and--hasn't been so insulated at home and his private school that he doesn't do anything to embarrass himself or HER.  Didn't she also complain that Harvard's athletes are "white"??

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Alyssa needs to find a new argument. I can't help but roll my eyes, when she brings up inflation and the same line, all the time of how SHE, Alyssa-not other people struggling-"worries about putting food on the table" or "pay my bills" because she sure as hell doesn't have to worry about doing that. 

I noticed today, when they were all at the table and the camera panned to Alyssa--she had that pout. No longer smiling. Bloom come off the rose already?

Gee. And I thought this was supposed to be a show about expressing their views or opinions, so I'm not okay with Bob or Brian or whoever, telling Sara to be more antagonistic toward Sunny. IF that's what's happening.

I'm also getting weary of Sara bringing up Ghost and quoting lines from it whenever the fluffier topics deal with...ghosts.

But I loved the interviews with both Angela Bassett and Cheech Marin. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I haven't yet seen the show, but I've seen the clip on the news of Sunny comparing republican women to roaches.  I'm a democrat, but I thought that was pretty low.  I'm having second thoughts on how smart I used to think Sunny was.  

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

Sunny didn’t compare Republican women to roaches, as in implying they were roaches.  Her line was, with respect to the Republican’s position on abortion rights, that suburban white women voting for them was “like roaches voting for Raid”.  So she was saying they’re voting against their own interests.  I happen to agree with her point.  You can dislike her joke, but please don’t misrepresent what she was trying to say.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm having second thoughts on how smart I used to think Sunny was.  

Sunny seems to be having some confidence issues...and it may have started when Alyssa sat down next to her.  She's more on edge--she's a little bitchy, and now she must have hired some sort of "comedy" writer.  Hope her next one-liners are more enjoyable.

• Love 1