Type keyword(s) to search

Hill Street Blues - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I still remember a couple of “Can’t believe they did that on TV!” moments, that IIRC, were on the same ep: 

Hill & Renko were looking for a victim’s arm…they find it, Hill picks it up, and — indicating the watch still on the wrist, invokes a famous (Timex) commercial catch phrase of the time: “Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!”

Belker is undercover at a butcher shop, when a little old lady walks in, demanding to know if “these chickens are fresh”.  He watches in astonishment as she pokes and prods them, before lifting each one by the drumsticks, spreading them apart, and taking a big sniff.  She yells: “These chickens aren’t fresh! You said these chickens were fresh!!”

A by-now disgusted Belker snaps back, “Lady, could you survive a test like that??”

On the flip side of the funny was the heart-rending tragedy: Joe walking into a bodega and being shot; Lucy screaming in anguish as he bleeds out in her arms.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, voiceover said:

On the flip side of the funny was the heart-rending tragedy: Joe walking into a bodega and being shot; Lucy screaming in anguish as he bleeds out in her arms.

And Furillo coming down to the crime scene to comfort her.

• Love 1

Got to 3 episodes so far. Hill and Renko are probably the characters that stick out the most to me so far, though it did surprise me how them getting shot down was quickly followed up by Hill just casually walking back into the precinct. Not sure if that could be singled out as anticlimactic or not. Haha.

At the beginning Frank turning to reveal himself when JD came to the A.A. meeting, And at the end when Norman Buntnz refused to give in to terror when he was held tied to the chair but still fought his way out to see  Howard Hunter's near hero worship are two moments that still stick.

• Like 1

I was given the series for Christmas. I just finished season two. I love Frank and Joyce's relationship! Frank is the best hands down.

I love most of the characters as well. The only one I have a hard time with is Fay. She just irritates me every time she is on screen.

I am on season 6 now. I guess this is the season they changed producers and Barbara Bosson (Fay) leaves the show. I am really liking this show and will be sad to reach the end. 

You can tell there was a decline in quality in seasons 6+7 due to the new producers, etc. At least I think so. I still like the show of course, just very noticeable. 

I am hoping someone will come on here eventually so I don't keep talking to myself. 🤣

3 minutes ago, andidante said:

I am hoping someone will come on here eventually so I don't keep talking to myself. 🤣

Well, Hill Street Blues was a correct response tonight on Jeopardy (80s TV category, I think) so there’s that. 

I am still following so I see on my home page when there are new posts, but it’s been so long since I’ve watched that I don’t have much to add. Keep up the fight though!

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, Hill Street Blues was a correct response tonight on Jeopardy (80s TV category, I think) so there’s that. 

I am still following so I see on my home page when there are new posts, but it’s been so long since I’ve watched that I don’t have much to add. Keep up the fight though!

Thank you!

Finished last night. Too much Buntz for my taste. Did not like the character at all! 

A lot of dropped story lines I noticed too. Very weird.

Too little Bates, Hill and Renko in the last season. All in all a very good show for the most part. 

25 minutes ago, andidante said:

Finished last night. Too much Buntz for my taste. Did not like the character at all! 

Of course Buntz was being set up for a spinoff as his was the last character to break out on the show.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Of course Buntz was being set up for a spinoff as his was the last character to break out on the show.

Yes I had read that. I know the actor was also on NYPD Blue, but I have never watched that show. Maybe I will at some point.