Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Not All Fun and Games

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, ZettaK said:

Did someone mention that Ashley's name is on the title of the D.C. penthouse?

The penthouse is in Arlington, VA, not DC. When I checked the county's property database, Ashley's name was on the title. Virginia is an equitable division state, not a community property state.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, eXiled said:

Overachieving doesn't seem to have brought the pleasure/self esteem/accolades she thought it would. Maybe Wendy's mother got the biggest boost from her daughter's achievements. Meanwhile, Wendy sees women who barely finished high school becoming famous after building their bodies instead of their brains. A major mindfuck to someone whose formative years were spent studying.

That's an internal Wendy issue because all of her current/past castmates except Monique, Mia & maybe Karen have at least one college degree and the DMV area has a very high concentration of highly educated folks. So she couldn't have been looking at her castmates thinking they're a bunch of build-a-body bimbos with no education who lucked up on a rich husband.  Nor can she really say that about the area she lives in...Atlanta, sure.  L.A., definitely, NYC, maybe.  DC area? No ma'am---even the sleazy mistresses have a college education.

Wendy knows good and well she saw all those big booty Instagram models on Eddie's feed, found herself lacking and decided to build herself a new body.  Gizelle & Robyn struck a nerve when they questioned her body changes in relation to Eddie's fondness for gazing at big booty IG models.

16 hours ago, ZettaK said:
On 11/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, eXiled said:

D.C. is an equitable distribution jurisdiction, so property and debt which was acquired during a marriage is divided equally.

As stated, Ashley does not live in D.C., Ashley lives in Virginia.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, eXiled said:

She did "get" the restaurant, but I see that more as a business write-off and a way to keep the Lil Missus busy.

Ashley didn't get the restaurant, it was always Michael's. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to fire her on her day off.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:24 AM, Glama said:

They are looking for a house for Ashley and the kids, and I see how she's looking into very big houses, bigger than she actually needs, and she's expecting Michael to just pay for it. 

The houses Ashley is looking at are not too big for her and the children; they look like run of the mill Ryan/NVR homes in a basic subdivision. Those houses run from $399K to $499K in other parts of Virginia but because she lives in the most expensive part of Virginia, they will run a million or more.  The houses she's looking at are SMALLER than everyone else's house on the cast with the exception of Gizelle.  One of the houses she was looking at looked like it was newly built in an existing subdivision next to a smaller home (just like Robyn's new house).

Ashley isn't looking at luxury homes or mansions. She's looking at regular houses with a yard.  She will probably have a maid service to help her upkeep it or maybe put Sheila to work but there is nothing extravagant about any of the houses we've seen her look at.

So she couldn't have been looking at her castmates thinking they're a bunch of build-a-body bimbos with no education who lucked up on a rich husband.

Quoting myself but maybe she did look at Ashley as a no education bimbo who lucked up on a rich husband when she went after Ashley at the lake house for bringing Dean.  With her "People like YOU call me Doctor Wendy!"  Who is "people like you?" I don't believe Wendy when she claims in recent interviews she had never watched the show before she joined because (IMO) she attacked Ashley because of Ashley's trailer park background with the "people like YOU" comment...which she would've only known if she watched the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

That's an internal Wendy issue because all of her current/past castmates except Monique, Mia & maybe Karen have at least one college degree and the DMV area has a very high concentration of highly educated folks. So she couldn't have been looking at her castmates thinking they're a bunch of build-a-body bimbos with no education who lucked up on a rich husband.  Nor can she really say that about the area she lives in...Atlanta, sure.  L.A., definitely, NYC, maybe.  DC area? No ma'am---even the sleazy mistresses have a college education.

Wendy knows good and well she saw all those big booty Instagram models on Eddie's feed, found herself lacking and decided to build herself a new body.  Gizelle & Robyn struck a nerve when they questioned her body changes in relation to Eddie's fondness for gazing at big booty IG models.

I don't know if Wendy ever compared herself to her castmates in that regard, so I can't speak to her mindset. And it was more than having a degree. Wendy has four degrees. Wendy is a doctor. She is a professor. Candiace may be completing (have already completed?) an MBA, but somehow, I don't think I'll ever see her on any of the cable news programs commentating on social policy or political matters. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

As for Eddie, I'm quite certain Wendy didn't just learn that her husband likes women with curvaceous figures and build-a-bodies. Most men's eyes subconsciously follow bodies they find attractive, so Wendy been knew about Eddie's ideal fap material.

I just think that part of Wendy's Housewife journey was intended to use the show as a springboard for her own personal ideals. Her background is pretty stereotypical for many descendants of immigrants. It's hard to break from that mold if you want to keep the peace. I don't think Wendy's new body is about Eddie's desires; I believe her transformation is all about her own wants. What she finds pleasing. What she thinks is feminine and attractive. What will garner the most positive attention.

Example: RHOA's Porsha was popular enough to get her own show. She did it by using her physical attributes, audience identification, and a peppy, non-self-conscious extroversion. Many viewers loved that Porsha thought that the Underground Railroad was a literal, physical thing.

Someone like Wendy may have taken note, attempting to use weapons from an arsenal she doesn't possess. Note how many viewers see Wendy as "try-hard." Some believe her "reads" seem rehearsed and stilted. Combine that with her book smarts and sudden body modification and new fashions, and it's my opinion that she sees RHOP as her chance to break out of an old mold she no longer found pleasing.

Wendy's still hitting the books, but now she's studying how to to gain popularity. Unfortunately, it doesn't always feel authentic.

Edited by eXiled
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The penthouse is in Arlington, VA, not DC. When I checked the county's property database, Ashley's name was on the title. Virginia is an equitable division state, not a community property state.

So the penthouse faces DC.

And D.C. and Virginia are equitable distribution state/district.

Edited by ZettaK
1 hour ago, eXiled said:

I don't know if Wendy ever compared herself to her castmates in that regard, so I can't speak to her mindset. And it was more than having a degree. Wendy has four degrees. Wendy is a doctor. She is a professor. Candiace may be completing (have already completed?) an MBA, but somehow, I don't think I'll ever see her on any of the cable news programs commentating on social policy or political matters. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

As for Eddie, I'm quite certain Wendy didn't just learn that her husband likes women with curvaceous figures and build-a-bodies. Most men's eyes subconsciously follow bodies they find attractive, so Wendy been knew about Eddie's ideal fap material.

I just think that part of Wendy's Housewife journey was intended to use the show as a springboard for her own personal ideals. Her background is pretty stereotypical for many descendants of immigrants. It's hard to break from that mold if you want to keep the peace. I don't think Wendy's new body is about Eddie's desires; I believe her transformation is all about her own wants. What she finds pleasing. What she thinks is feminine and attractive. What will garner the most positive attention.

Example: RHOA's Porsha was popular enough to get her own show. She did it by using her physical attributes, audience identification, and a peppy, non-self-conscious extroversion. Many viewers loved that Porsha thought that the Underground Railroad was a literal, physical thing.

Someone like Wendy may have taken note, attempting to use weapons from an arsenal she doesn't possess. Note how many viewers see Wendy as "try-hard." Some believe her "reads" seem rehearsed and stilted. Combine that with her book smarts and sudden body modification and new fashions, and it's my opinion that she sees RHOP as her chance to break out of an old mold she no longer found pleasing.

Wendy's still hitting the books, but now she's studying how to to gain popularity. Unfortunately, it doesn't always feel authentic.

I agree that Wendy's transformation was not related to Eddie. The women claimed so in order to attack her, and to demean her. It was about becoming more popular. 

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, eXiled said:

Again, that's Wendy's internal problem, she thinks popularity is "So N So has  _____, that's why they're be popular so if I have _____, I will be popular too."  That's not how it works.  That's the road Monique went down and it's the same road Wendy is going down. The cast was right to question her personality change even if they went about it the wrong way.  You don't go from "Mrs. 4 Degrees Black Girl Magic" to "Ms Leggs and Hipps and Body Ody Ody" without people around you going "Huh?" Especially if they don't know you like that.

15 minutes ago, ZettaK said:

I agree that Wendy's transformation was not related to Eddie. The women claimed so in order to attack her, and to demean her. It was about becoming more popular. 

The castmates didn't demean Wendy.  They saw her transform her personality and wanted to know why.  They went about it the wrong way. There's only 2 people on the cast that demean people on a regular basis and that's Candiace and Wendy.  And Candiace will only go for the jugular if you come for her first.  Wendy has attacked and demeaned both Ashley and Mia for no good reason.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

Again, that's Wendy's internal problem, she thinks popularity is "So N So has  _____, that's why they're be popular so if I have _____, I will be popular too."  That's not how it works.  That's the road Monique went down and it's the same road Wendy is going down. The cast was right to question her personality change even if they went about it the wrong way.  You don't go from "Mrs. 4 Degrees Black Girl Magic" to "Ms Leggs and Hipps and Body Ody Ody" without people around you going "Huh?" Especially if they don't know you like that.

The castmates didn't demean Wendy.  They saw her transform her personality and wanted to know why.  They went about it the wrong way. There's only 2 people on the cast that demean people on a regular basis and that's Candiace and Wendy.  And Candiace will only go for the jugular if you come for her first.  Wendy has attacked and demeaned both Ashley and Mia for no good reason.

Cool. I feel similarly, I think. I've never blamed Wendy's issues with the cast on her cast mates; they are all adults. I don't believe Wendy's castmates drove her into any of her actions. Just like I will always double down in regards to Eddie: She's been with that man for more than a decade. She knows what will turn his head. That ain't new.

And just to clarify: Even though I used Porsha as an example, I really can't speak to Wendy's reasons for her transformation. I do have suspicions and opinions, however. She may have really just wanted a higher booty and perkier boobs -- no psychological angst included.

As I've said before: It is my feeling that Wendy sees RHOP as an opportunity to brand herself as something new in her personal and professional life. I don't believe she's trying to compete with the cast; I believe she's trying to become something different in her own sphere of influence.

How many housewives have we seen sell housewares? Run a restaurant? Sell wigs/weave/perfume/clothing/liquor? Several across the franchises. There are actresses and singers and models across franchises. How many housewives are political and social policy commentators? I don't watch them all, so I'm not being sarcastic; if there's another one, I'd love to know.

I think it's fascinating that Wendy would rather sell candles and attempt to start a restaurant when her own wheelhouse made her stand out in a most unique way.

The latter bolded in your post is one of the issues I have with her. The personal attacks were unnecessary. I would have enjoyed it more if she'd put on an unperturbed and unbothered persona when dealing with the others. I think that would have gone better with the Dr. Wendy profile. But that is the exact opposite of what she wants, it seems.

Edited by eXiled
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, eXiled said:

s I've said before: It is my feeling that Wendy sees RHOP as an opportunity to brand herself as something new in her personal and professional life. I don't believe she's trying to compete with the cast; I believe she's trying to become something different in her own sphere of influence.

How many housewives have we seen sell housewares? Run a restaurant? Sell wigs/weave/perfume/clothing, liquor? Several across the franchises. There are actresses and singers and models across franchises. How many housewives are political and social policy commentators? I don't watch all of the franchises, so I'm not being sarcastic; if there's another one, I'd love to know.

I think it's fascinating that Wendy would rather sell candles and attempt to start a restaurant when her own wheelhouse made her stand out in a most unique way.

I agree and she is trying to discover who she is and what her path would be outside of pressures put upon her. It get the feeling that Wendy’s adult career path was largely dictated by her mom/parents/cultural expectations for her. I get the feeling that she never got to explore who she wants to be outside of these external pressures. I feel like she doesn’t have a good sense of personal identity so she is trying to find it in all these business explorations, Happy and Ness, and joining the real housewives in general.

I feel for her as much as I find her annoying and infuriating.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I agree and she is trying to discover who she is and what her path would be outside of pressures put upon her. It get the feeling that Wendy’s adult career path was largely dictated by her mom/parents/cultural expectations for her. I get the feeling that she never got to explore who she wants to be outside of these external pressures. I feel like she doesn’t have a good sense of personal identity so she is trying to find it in all these business explorations, Happy and Ness, and joining the real housewives in general.

I feel for her as much as I find her annoying and infuriating.

I love how you worded this. So much more succinct than my screeds, lol.

Wendy seems to lack identity.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Quoting myself but maybe she did look at Ashley as a no education bimbo who lucked up on a rich husband when she went after Ashley at the lake house for bringing Dean.  With her "People like YOU call me Doctor Wendy!"  Who is "people like you?" I don't believe Wendy when she claims in recent interviews she had never watched the show before she joined because (IMO) she attacked Ashley because of Ashley's trailer park background with the "people like YOU" comment...which she would've only known if she watched the show.

I agree. Ashley has a bachelors degree in communications from U of MD, so even if she does have a mother that lived in a tent, she got herself an education and she has drive. Wendy thought her Phd would make her a queen (not a grand dame) but nobody is impressed.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Wendy has an attitude problem. During Karen's Spring Fling, Jacqueline was trying to defend Mia. Wendy interjects, says she is not trying to be rude, points at Jacqueline, but asks the group who is this? Someone, not sure who, says this is Jacqueline. There are a few funny looks within the group, then again, Wendy says I'm not trying to be rude as Jacqueline herself tells Wendy who she is, Wendy says ok, you're Jacqueline. I didn't know who was talking. So damned dismissive.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Yes, the women had reasons to question Wendy's transformation, but it is demeaning to claim that somebody's husband checks attractive women on social media, so the wife has to have extensive plastic surgery (because she is not attractive enough). 

But it's obvious Wendy feels superior to the other women, judging by her attitude toward them. 

Edited by ZettaK
13 hours ago, ZettaK said:

Yes, the women had reasons to question Wendy's transformation, but it is demeaning to claim that somebody's husband checks attractive women on social media, so the wife has to have extensive plastic surgery (because she is not attractive enough). 

They weren't questioning the plastic surgery by itself; they were questioning the plastic surgery PLUS the personality change. Other cast members have had plastic surgery and nobody really gave 2 fs about it. Half of the cast has boob jobs.

Wendy came on with I HAVE FOUR (4) DEGREES, ASHLEY needs to bow down to her because people like Ashley call people like Wendy DOCTOR WENDY, Monique is a poor representation of Black women for fighting on camera, etc

The very next season, Wendy transforms into Porsha. She's just a hot girl with a Body Ody Ody, boob popping, booty bouncing, attacking Mia for having the same extensive plastic surgery Wendy was throwing herself a party for. Gone are the political analysis, gone are the entrepreneur brunches, her main concern is candles and popping her boobs for Eddie. And attacking Mia, who just happens to look like the very women Eddie is oogling on Instagram.  In was the "tik tock, Mi-uh" and "MF, MF, Gizelle F-bomb and FU Robyn".  Out was the "We as Black women must show a good image on camera."

Anyone who sees somebody transforming their personality like that is going to question what's going on. So while the women shouldn't have tied Wendy's surgery to Eddie oogling, it wasn't farfetched based on Wendy's own behavior.  If Wendy feels unattractive, that's on Wendy, not the cast.

As I mentioned before, Wendy is going down the same road Monique went down: shape shifting to become popular.  People don't like or trust people like that. It did not end well for Monique and it's not going to end well for Wendy. Ashley will probably begin exploring who she is because she's been with Michael since her early 20s and she is now in her mid 30s and really getting to explore adult life and get to know who she is without Michael.  I doubt seriously Ashley will shape shift her entire personality to conform to what is "popular".  But that's what Wendy is doing.

I will say in closing, Wendy has mentioned in recent media she feels the cast is icing her out. Well, there's no real good reason for the cast to warmly receive her:

• Blasted Gizelle for tearing down relationships, not being able to keep a man (even Jamal), being a poor example to her children (well deserved)
  • Blasted Robyn for having a non-existent relationship
  • Karen never really saw it for Wendy
  • Attacked Mia for having the plastic surgery she herself had
  • Attacked Ashley for being low status (when she should've attacked Monique for not extending a baby invitation to her as well as Ashley)

So that pretty much just leaves Candiace and we haven't really seen Candiace and Wendy filming together that much.  We've seen Candiace more with ASKALE than Wendy. At some point, while Wendy is exploring who she is, she needs to explore how she reacts and responds to people. IMO I think Wendy feels she should be exempt from the same judgment she heaps on her castmates.

• Applause 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

They weren't questioning the plastic surgery by itself; they were questioning the plastic surgery PLUS the personality change. Other cast members have had plastic surgery and nobody really gave 2 fs about it. Half of the cast has boob jobs.

Wendy came on with I HAVE FOUR (4) DEGREES, ASHLEY needs to bow down to her because people like Ashley call people like Wendy DOCTOR WENDY, Monique is a poor representation of Black women for fighting on camera, etc

The very next season, Wendy transforms into Porsha. She's just a hot girl with a Body Ody Ody, boob popping, booty bouncing, attacking Mia for having the same extensive plastic surgery Wendy was throwing herself a party for. Gone are the political analysis, gone are the entrepreneur brunches, her main concern is candles and popping her boobs for Eddie. And attacking Mia, who just happens to look like the very women Eddie is oogling on Instagram.  In was the "tik tock, Mi-uh" and "MF, MF, Gizelle F-bomb and FU Robyn".  Out was the "We as Black women must show a good image on camera."

Anyone who sees somebody transforming their personality like that is going to question what's going on. So while the women shouldn't have tied Wendy's surgery to Eddie oogling, it wasn't farfetched based on Wendy's own behavior.  If Wendy feels unattractive, that's on Wendy, not the cast.

As I mentioned before, Wendy is going down the same road Monique went down: shape shifting to become popular.  People don't like or trust people like that. It did not end well for Monique and it's not going to end well for Wendy. Ashley will probably begin exploring who she is because she's been with Michael since her early 20s and she is now in her mid 30s and really getting to explore adult life and get to know who she is without Michael.  I doubt seriously Ashley will shape shift her entire personality to conform to what is "popular".  But that's what Wendy is doing.

I will say in closing, Wendy has mentioned in recent media she feels the cast is icing her out. Well, there's no real good reason for the cast to warmly receive her:

• Blasted Gizelle for tearing down relationships, not being able to keep a man (even Jamal), being a poor example to her children (well deserved)
  • Attacked Ashley for being low status (when she should've attacked Monique for not extending a baby invitation to her as well as Ashley)

So that pretty much just leaves Candiace and we haven't really seen Candiace and Wendy filming together that much.  We've seen Candiace more with ASKALE than Wendy. At some point, while Wendy is exploring who she is, she needs to explore how she reacts and responds to people. IMO I think Wendy feels she should be exempt from the same judgment she heaps on her castmates.

I'm not disagreeing with any of those. 

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

That's what I see too. It's a shame that Wendy wasn't strong enough to be herself with her whole chest. While I've seen many viewers who don't care about Wendy's accomplishments, those of us who are curious about a housewife who isn't selling housewares, weave, cookbooks, cosmetics, etc. might have appreciated watching her move through her world. For instance, perhaps one of the stations where Wendy provided commentary might have allowed cameras to follow her to the set one day. I liked last year's brief glimpse of her addressing an online class.

Would some viewers have thought those kinds of scenes to be dry and boring? Sure -- probably the same folks who would use such words to describe Wendy. But those types of scenes might have given the show a unique identity (thanks @Stats Queen!), something this show lacks.

Potomac needs something to stand out; the only reason I'm happy to see Charrisse's return is because she gives good party. I don't ever want to see these ladies sitting out on Gizelle's construction site again. Nor a repeat of Robyn hosting a family fun day.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, eXiled said:

That's what I see too. It's a shame that Wendy wasn't strong enough to be herself with her whole chest. While I've seen many viewers who don't care about Wendy's accomplishments, those of us who are curious about a housewife who isn't selling housewares, weave, cookbooks, cosmetics, etc. might have appreciated watching her move through her world. For instance, perhaps one of the stations where Wendy provided commentary might have allowed cameras to follow her to the set one day. I liked last year's brief glimpse of her addressing an online class.

Would some viewers have thought those kinds of scenes to be dry and boring? Sure -- probably the same folks who would use such words to describe Wendy. But those types of scenes might have given the show a unique identity (thanks @Stats Queen!), something this show lacks.

Potomac needs something to stand out; the only reason I'm happy to see Charrisse's return is because she gives good party. I don't ever want to see these ladies sitting out on Gizelle's construction site again. Nor a repeat of Robyn hosting a family fun day.

Wendy was on Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live last night (just after the show), and she was asked to give some advice/information about the midterm election. I'm one of those who would like to see more about this side of her life.

• Love 5
On 10/31/2022 at 4:12 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I completely expected her to say something about how she wanted to try for a girl.

The way Robin's scenario works is if the kids have developed relationships among themselves and therefore, missing out on a chance to get together and play really punishes the children. But in this case where they don't hang or know one another like that, I don't understand why you'd send your kids to play with a strange group of kids, supervised by a woman who says she hates you. That's just dumb.

Exactly ! 

• Love 2

I think that Wendy wanted to pivot in her profession, move out of the political talking head work and into a talk show, more entertainment types of vehicles, in the way that several talking heads have (think Tamron Hall or Soledad O'Brian) but as someone who is a pure talking head and not coming out of the news business, she isn't really thought of in those terms. Meanwhile several HWs have made that pivot (Porsha from HWAtl, Quad from MtM), so this may have seemed like a good step to make. However, once you get on one of these shows, you have to stay on them, and both Eboni Williams and Wendy have had a difficult time being the serious one in the group of ladies who discuss fashions and gossip. So, if this truly is what her vision was, all of this makes sense, including the housewares and restaurant. She's trying to make moves and stay on the show long enough for her vision to play out. 

Edited by Rlb8031
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
20 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Last year someone asked Candiace about Wendy's new personality. I can't remember how long she's known Wendy,  but it's long enough that she was at her last baby shower.  Anyway,  she said what we're seeing is more of Wendy's real personality coming out, as she's becoming more comfortable around the other women. 

• Useful 2