Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E06: Step by Step

• Start Topic

Glad it was not a team I cared about that got Corona-booted. Abbey and Will were one step above the now famous Red Shirts of Star Trek.

Did you hear? Derek can't roll his "R"s!

Claire...everytime I see her I wonder what her feelings are about her bud Tiffany playing her the way she did.

The cynic in me wonders how supportive the newlywed groom would have been at that last challenge when he gave the pep talk if they handn't known it was non-elimination. After all 45 minutes is  nothing if an hours of operation bunching rears its head...which it hasn't in a long time I just realized.

I so wanted to see a cart fall apart at the gates of the pit stop and have to be rebuilt!

• Love 2

I might be sad about Abby and Will being eliminated if I had any idea who they were. 

Seriously, by now I should certainly have a decent grasp on all the teams, but there are several who are still just mysteries to me. I will take some responsibility for not watching and following them more closely, but I really think the show dropped the ball this year in their presentation. I have never had this problem before. Quinton and Mattie who?

They kept emphasizing how the last team would leave 45 minutes after the first, but they’re still only leaving 15 minutes after teams #5 and 6 (assuming the groups are evenly spaced). Not that big of a deal, and easy to make up.

My love for Glenda and Lumumba continues to grow. Great couple.

5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I don't think it would be bothering me if it didn't seem like a pattern. He joked when she fell last week (not seeming to check on her or comfort her at all first). It goes back to yodeling and her being tone-deaf. If she's self-critical, he agrees a little too much, and otherwise he makes unnecessary jabs. I don't think he's the worst person ever but he likes to joke at her expense and he's nowhere near as meaningfully encouraging as other race partners. Claire can be dry and sarcastic herself (though it never seems pointed at anyone else) so maybe she doesn't mind, but it bothers me.

A lot of couples have a joking, teasing kind of relationship. (I’ve been in one for 20+ years.) It does not signify lack of respect or affection, it just means neither party takes themselves that seriously and prefers to find the humor. Both parties have to share that kind of sensibility for such a relationship to work, and it appears that Derek and Claire do. So good for them. It’s great to find someone who gets you, even if it doesn’t make sense to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
22 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I might be sad about Abby and Will being eliminated if I had any idea who they were. 

Same. I don't remember another season where we were half a dozen episodes in and there were multiple teams I found to be complete ciphers. You could've told me it was Aubrey and David being DQed while Abby and Will were onscreen and I wouldn't have caught it. All of the teams who were unable to return after the COVID-induced shutdown last season left stronger impressions in a shorter amount of time.

I can't help wondering if TPTB considered bringing back Linton and Sharik, but either Sharik declined or the crew was like "Oh hell no, not another leg with her."

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Seriously, by now I should certainly have a decent grasp on all the teams, but there are several who are still just mysteries to me. I will take some responsibility for not watching and following them more closely, but I really think the show dropped the ball this year in their presentation. I have never had this problem before. Quinton and Mattie who?.

I love them, but this lack of distinguishing between couples (and a poor grasp of the spelling of American movie legends) has also led me to associate Glenda and Lumumba in my sad little brain with these iconic couples - (sorry about the difference in sizes; I'm computer inept).

image.png.05620711ae07275339aac68eb6ee9ac7.png  image.png.354dcaf28c4e3bb5229ae31feedd8998.png

Edited by Leeds
4 hours ago, ML89 said:

Okay, so, did Arab traders bring bagpipes to Scotland or is this one of those “every culture makes dumpling like food” concepts?

Technically neither, but the first is closer.

According to this article that was posted to the TAR subReddit, bagpipes were introduced to the area during the British colonial period, as regiments from the Highlands had their pipers with them.  So the pipes were associated with the military throughout the majority of the 20th century.  Then in 1996, a Jordanian military officer named Ahmad Khatabeh wanted to join the army band.  So he had to learn to play the pipes.  After he did, he started teaching others.  Not just other military members (over 500 per the article), but also school students. 

And it's the young people that really spread the pipes beyond the military.  Them and some of the churches, which goes to explaining why the dance from this episode, which Phil said was often part of wedding ceremonies, had a piper.

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Thing is, they are working to a schedule.  They can’t pause the race without rescheduling tasks like dominoes which likely wouldn’t always be possible. 

Guys, I realise that they don't just fly to a country, pick up some random locals and ask them "You have any ideas what tasks we could do here?!". It's pretty obvious that they have a schedule. I don't need multiple people telling me.

I wasn't even the one who said they should all be quarantined. I just said it wasn't a totally outside suggestion.

But let's be honest here, if we'd take Phil by his word, if safety was their number 1 concern, the teams and crew really should be in quarantine before continuing. But obviously safety is more like the number 2 concern, behind keeping their schedule.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Seriously, by now I should certainly have a decent grasp on all the teams, but there are several who are still just mysteries to me. I will take some responsibility for not watching and following them more closely, but I really think the show dropped the ball this year in their presentation. I have never had this problem before. Quinton and Mattie who?

They kept emphasizing how the last team would leave 45 minutes after the first, but they’re still only leaving 15 minutes after teams #5 and 6 (assuming the groups are evenly spaced). Not that big of a deal, and easy to make up.

A lot of couples have a joking, teasing kind of relationship. (I’ve been in one for 20+ years.) It does not signify lack of respect or affection, it just means neither party takes themselves that seriously and prefers to find the humor. Both parties have to share that kind of sensibility for such a relationship to work, and it appears that Derek and Claire do. So good for them. It’s great to find someone who gets you, even if it doesn’t make sense to someone else.

Liked your whole post.  Also there is a team called Quinton & Mattie in the Race???  Who knew?

This is one of the many reasons I pretty much can't stand 90% of all the younger couples teams on TAR over the years.  Not only are they the most boring with no life stories of interest because they haven't lived that long and most of them also would be or are current mactor/influencer/enertainer types wanting "exposure."  But also too many of them on one season just makes them into a generic herd of oatmeal ... if oatmeal ran about in a herd anyway.

38 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

But let's be honest here, if we'd take Phil by his word, if safety was their number 1 concern, the teams and crew really should be in quarantine before continuing. But obviously safety is more like the number 2 concern, behind keeping their schedule.

Huh?  The teams are tested every single day and sometimes twice daily (before and after the leg).  And like Penn and his wife mentioned last season, they are totally segregated in separate hotel rooms and not allowed to interact with each other during down time.  No reason for the teams testing negative to stop and quarantine at all.

Edited by Skooma
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

eriously, by now I should certainly have a decent grasp on all the teams, but there are several who are still just mysteries to me. I will take some responsibility for not watching and following them more closely, but I really think the show dropped the ball this year in their presentation. I have never had this problem before. Quinton and Mattie who?

I know.  If you put Mattie and Michelle next to each other I'd have a hard time telling you which is which.  Same for Luis and David.  (At least I know all the names now.)

Yeah, 15 minute intervals between groups next leg doesn't sound as bad as the last group leaving 45 minutes behind the first.  And if it involves a flight to the next destination it won't mean anything at all.  Lumumba was so sweet and patient with Glenda, but the knowledge that it was a NEL kept him from panicking.

The Jordanian bagpipes surprised me too. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I know.  If you put Mattie and Michelle next to each other I'd have a hard time telling you which is which.  Same for Luis and David.  (At least I know all the names now.)

Yeah, 15 minute intervals between groups next leg doesn't sound as bad as the last group leaving 45 minutes behind the first.  And if it involves a flight to the next destination it won't mean anything at all.  Lumumba was so sweet and patient with Glenda, but the knowledge that it was a NEL kept him from panicking.

Right. If they suddenly switched Luis and David and  put them with the other's wives I wouldn't even catch it. Despite their distinctive look I sometimes forgot Quinton and Mattie were even in the episode. There is definatly something off with the casting this year if half the teams don't stand out and are interchangeable.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Technically neither, but the first is closer.

According to this article that was posted to the TAR subReddit, bagpipes were introduced to the area during the British colonial period, as regiments from the Highlands had their pipers with them.  So the pipes were associated with the military throughout the majority of the 20th century.  Then in 1996, a Jordanian military officer named Ahmad Khatabeh wanted to join the army band.  So he had to learn to play the pipes.  After he did, he started teaching others.  Not just other military members (over 500 per the article), but also school students. 

And it's the young people that really spread the pipes beyond the military.  Them and some of the churches, which goes to explaining why the dance from this episode, which Phil said was often part of wedding ceremonies, had a piper.

I should have thought in the other direction, Scotland to Jordan! Thank you for the excellent background.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, North of Eden said:
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Right. If they suddenly switched Luis and David and  put them with the other's wives I wouldn't even catch it. Despite their distinctive look I sometimes forgot Quinton and Mattie were even in the episode. There is definatly something off with the casting this year if half the teams don't stand out and are interchangeable.

I know it's the thing to say "all these pairs are blending together", but aside from having dark hair, Mattie, Michelle, and Aubrey don't look anything alike, and neither do Luis and David. Different heights, different faces, different body types, different hair styles, different skin tones. I'll grant you it was tricky in the beginning when they were all new and there were more teams to keep track of, but by now they are very distinguishable. Reminds me of seasons where any young blonde women were dismissed as "interchangeable", no matter how different they looked.

13 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

but by now they are very distinguishable

To you, not to everyone. I watched a mystery once where all the women had dark hair and I was totally confused though most of it despite some being much younger than others and one being a person of color. It's not so much how they look different it's that it's hard to quickly match a name to the characteristics in front of you that are only there for a minute or two.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

To you, not to everyone. I watched a mystery once where all the women had dark hair and I was totally confused though most of it despite some being much younger than others and one being a person of color. It's not so much how they look different it's that it's hard to quickly match a name to the characteristics in front of you that are only there for a minute or two.

Regarding the bolded, I completely agree. I did know who the eliminated couple was but realized last night I keep completely forgetting about Aubrey and David. It's nice to not have any obnoxious teams but it's difficult to when so many of the teams have such bland personalities. I am happy that Luis and Michelle got another 1st place finish. I think Glenda and Lumumba are not long for this race.

• Love 1

Glenda and Lumumba all the way for me!  have watched this show with my son as he grew up and I always pointed out the couples who were able to maintain respect and consideration all the way.  though, it's true none of the other couples have treated each other very badly, the newlyweds are the epitome of support and encouragement.  while they may not win the race, they certainly won finding each other.

• Applause 1
  • Love 13
49 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

34 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

I did know who the eliminated couple was but realized last night I keep completely forgetting about Aubrey and David. It's nice to not have any obnoxious teams but it's difficult to when so many of the teams have such bland personalities. I am happy that Luis and Michelle got another 1st place finish. I think Glenda and Lumumba are not long for this race.

I think there's a distinction between these bolded comments, and the comments that I quoted originally. Forgetting someone is there or not being able to quickly put a name to a face isn't quite the same thing as basically saying "all these dark haired people look alike and I wouldn't know who was who if you had them standing right next to each other." I stand by what I said, but I don't want this to turn into another technology vs. paper map situation, so I'll drop it.

This episode taught me the names Abby and Will.  I had known them solely as Generic White Dating Couple, and I guess now that the show was kind enough to finally introduce them to me, they are gone.  Buh bye.  I'd miss them if they had made any kind of impression on me at all.  Not sure why they were cast in the first place.  Seems to me like the show thought "We need a generic white dating couple, but they can't be strong enough to win, because we got the casting memo that BB and Survivor did, and we can't have two white couples win back to back editions of TAR, because that would be a bad look.  Oh what about these two schlubs?  They look completely forgettable.  Zero chance of winning.  They're in!"

I love the attitude of Glenda and Lumumba.  They seem like good people.  They are genuinely nice, they don't care what others think about their Tall/Short status, they don't say bad things about others, and like Mrs. Peacock, they seem determined to enjoy themselves.  I'm hoping for good things from them next round.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:45 PM, katalizt said:

Derek and his R's annoyed me, because he kept comparing it to Spanish but it wasn't the same sound at all. I don't speak Arabic but what Claire said made sense, they had to do a throaty R, not a tongue-rolling R like in Spanish.

Yes, it was incredibly irritating how much time we had to spend on his rolling Rs. The Arabic sounds they were all making were more guttural.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:00 AM, aradia22 said:

It was very awkward how the locations were within walking distance but they had to keep asking random people for their phones or computers for directions. Did TPTB not give anyone a map? It's not really navigation if you can run there. Just give them a simple map. Dumb.

I hate the automatic running to others for help.  It does seem like the show might have banned Ferns but the immediate reaction is always a request/demand to use someone's phone.  I wish there was a rule saying that racers cannot ask locals to look things up on the phone.  They have all the clues.  In this case, it was so pathetic since they were walking.  I wish the producers had posted a map on the wall, they can look at the map, but after that, they can ask people for directions but no electronic help.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:22 PM, lgprimes said:

I don’t get the COVID elimination. That couple had been racing with all the other teams the prior task. So all those teams had been exposed to them, no? Which means ALL of them should have quarantined for awhile.. you are most contagious early on. By the time they were done isolating, the eliminated team, if they felt well, could be ready to race again. Just seems odd to me that all the other teams were allowed to continue and potential spread COVID to the people they talked to along the way.

I agree that they all would have been on the same plane travelling to Jordan, but I'm assuming masks were required on the plane.  Also, I don't know when this season was filmed, but it looks like sometime in spring/early summer of this year?  That was before the US dropped the requirement that you don't need a negative test to enter the country.  Production was still operating under existing Covid protocols and was trying to be safe.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Production was still operating under existing Covid protocols and was trying to be safe.

My point was that they were being the opposite of safe by letting everybody else continue. If they were exposed, the safest thing would be to shut down production for a week. As noted above that is probably extremely complicated for this show. So I wonder if teams were kept isolated from each other at the pitstops? But we see them near each other (and Phil!) on the mat.  Oh well, I guess it worked out ok but seems like they took a risk.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Skooma said:

No reason for the teams testing negative to stop and quarantine at all.

Exactly. If a negative result doesn't mean you are clear to continue, then what does?

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that the race is being run under a medical protocol designed by a medical professional with CV19 expertise, or more likely a team of such professionals. And I wouldn't be surprised if this protocol has been scrutinized and approved by various acting guilds and unions as well.

One of the things this protocol will cover is obviously what to do if a team member tests positive. You can be sure that the protocol does not say that in such an situation that the entire cast must be quarantined, and that Phil and production have decided to ignore that and proceed.

They are obviously following professionally devised protocols, and not something that a camera man knocked up quickly, on the ride to the aeroport!

• Love 3

Good episode. It felt more related to the country than the last leg. Announcing the non-elimination before the leg was probably the best move. Also, Phil was awesome in the opening minutes, talking with Abby & Will on the phone, being sincerely sorry to see them out. I love how he likes to be human. Of course, the overhead shot of him standing precariously on an ancient ledge was to the contrary.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:04 AM, aghst said:

There are no teams to root against, at least so far.

As much as I dig that, I wonder if the lack of headaches posing as people works against the series, in terms of bringing in new viewers.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:42 AM, Fake Jan Brady said:

Sad for Abby and Will but that was a fairer result than in the latest TAR Australia where the covid positive teams were put into isolation for several legs and got to rejoin the race after several covid negative teams had been eliminated in the meantime. 

As much as I didn’t care for the Mine Five alliance, I learned to accept it. Bringing back teams that failed COVID tests? That would have pissed me off.

Loved Derek failing to roll r’s. On the live thread, I had him starring in The Worst Wookie.

I’m happy Glenda & Lumumba are still in contention, though it does seems more likely they’ll rebound due to the altered starts and lack of Speed Bumps.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

One of the things this protocol will cover is obviously what to do if a team member tests positive. You can be sure that the protocol does not say that in such an situation that the entire cast must be quarantined, and that Phil and production have decided to ignore that and proceed.

They also seemed to have Abby and Will on separate screens, if not rooms, on that Zoom call. So maybe only one of them was positive. 

I remember Abby and Will because she was so excited at the start of the race. I feel bad that they were the ones who couldn't continue. 

Re the Arabic rolling R being more guttural--I can't do that either.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Skooma said:

Huh?  The teams are tested every single day and sometimes twice daily (before and after the leg).  And like Penn and his wife mentioned last season, they are totally segregated in separate hotel rooms and not allowed to interact with each other during down time.  No reason for the teams testing negative to stop and quarantine at all.

Yeah and it takes multiple days after infection till quick-tests show a positive. That means the positive team could have infected a bunch of people in the meantime, who could have also infected a bunch of people.

If quick tests did show a positive right after infection we could have stoped the pandemic a few weeks after those were developed. They are like 50% actually helpfull and 50% security theater.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, aradia22 said:

Did TPTB not give anyone a map? It's not really navigation if you can run there. Just give them a simple map.

I don't believe TPTB ever provided maps.  The teams have to get them on their own, if memory serves correctly.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Well, one thing this episode taught me is that just about every team who is likely to be cast in the future needs to add "how to hit a nail with a hammer" to their needed basic skills list (paper maps, manual transmissions, sawing wood, etc.)  My favorite from The Amazing Editors was quoting Claire when she was yammering on (again) about how smart she is to be a software engineer and now -behold!- she's so smart she can even use a hammer!!!! And she's so much ever so smart that she knows that the secret is.... leverage.  leverage. LEVERAGE!!!!.  All the while showing her with a hammer in her hand pushing it in the general direction of some nails, and not using ANY leverage at all.  Ha ha, I'm that kind of engineer to be entertained by such things (I won't say what kind of engineer, but I do have a P.E. to back up my statement).

Glad the show is back, don't like the time slot, can't tell many of the teams apart, etc. etc.  

And I love The Amazing Editors.

Edited by danm
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Yeah and it takes multiple days after infection till quick-tests show a positive. That means the positive team could have infected a bunch of people in the meantime, who could have also infected a bunch of people.

If quick tests did show a positive right after infection we could have stoped the pandemic a few weeks after those were developed. They are like 50% actually helpfull and 50% security theater.

I'm sure TAR uses the very best testing available and not some home quickie test.  And no this isn't pre-vax 2020 and early 2021 anymore -- thank God -- so the guidelines the medical professionals use now are more liberal these days anyway.  And I totally agree with what Netfoot said in this quote from their post above:

Exactly. If a negative result doesn't mean you are clear to continue, then what does?

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that the race is being run under a medical protocol designed by a medical professional with CV19 expertise, or more likely a team of such professionals. And I wouldn't be surprised if this protocol has been scrutinized and approved by various acting guilds and unions as well.

They are obviously following professionally devised protocols, and not something that a camera man knocked up quickly, on the ride to the aeroport!

16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't believe TPTB ever provided maps.  The teams have to get them on their own, if memory serves correctly.

Totally true.  Getting maps is part of the challenge of running the Race.

Edited by Skooma
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

But would they even know which cities or even countries they're going to before the race starts?  They could really study and prep if they knew the locations.

22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Apparently yes, once they left the mat, they were housed separately.

That would be unfortunate, if they didn't get a chance to socialize a bit during off hours as previous racers did.

It would also depend on when this season was shot.  I would think the restrictions would be more lax in 2022 than in 2021, even though a more infectious variant was in circulation in 2022.

But people were definitely more free to act like things were back to normal in 2022 than 2021.  In Europe, they still required masks indoors and on public transportation.  Otherwise, there were fewer restrictions on dining indoors.  People certainly seemed more willing to dine in restaurants this year than last year.

Presumably the racers weren't barred from going to the stores to pick up supplies or going to get meals.  Maybe they were encouraged to take out instead of dine-in or at least seek to dine outside.  In France and Italy, there are plenty of places with outdoor dining in the summer.  Presume that's the case in Jordan as well but I would think people would want to go inside to air conditioned spaces.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, aghst said:

But would they even know which cities or even countries they're going to before the race starts?  They could really study and prep if they knew the locations.

No, of course not. They are not supposed to study and prep everything is supposed to be a surprise, throw them in and see how they do. Previous teams have had to decide whether or not they would use some of their money (and it wasn't usually a lot of money that they were given) to buy a map/guide book or keep it for food/transportation.

• Love 2

Finally got to watch this ep (stupid 10:00 pm air time!).  The main thing I have to say is thank goodness they didn't bring back the most recently eliminated team!  I much prefer having one "non-elimination" leg than bringing back Linton and Sharik.  Well, Sharik, anyway.  Linton can come back.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On this past season of TAR Canada, one team was eliminated in leg 1, then leg 2 was TBC, and then leg 3 had another elimination.

The beginning of leg 4, three teams were out with Covid. They brought back the two eliminated teams who had to do Speed Bumps that leg. Beginning of leg 6, they hid two clues in a mini putt place and whichever of the three Covid teams found the two clues, could re-enter the race. The third team was eliminated right away so no elimination at the end of the leg, and then leg 7 was a double-elimination leg.

Not ideal, but they tried to make it fair.

I was surprised at how many teams were not being careful with their masks while interacting with locals.

So far I don't hate anybody, but the military guys are too intense. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Katviv said:

I am enjoying the teams very much, they seem positive and upbeat and (mostly) likeable. However…could someone please explain why all of the women wear nothing but spandex bottoms? Not at all flattering, somewhat vulgar in some instances even. I just don’t get it, and am frankly sick of looking at it!

Do you avoid walking/running/hiking trails then? Or cycling or running races in town? Women wear athletic tights or shorts because they're made specifically for active movement and exercise. They are also typically moisture-wicking, meaning good to wear when you're active and sweaty. I couldn't imagine not wearing something like that to do the race in.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

Re; spandex bottoms

There is a time and place for them, and I don't think wearing them on the race is necessarily a bad thing. In the real world, my issue with people wearing them is that not all leggings are created equal. I was once walking in a park, looked up and could see right through the leggings a woman in front of me was wearing. She obviously didn't realize how sheer they became once on. I can't imagine she's the only one this has happened to.

One thing I have learned about the race is that while racers don’t know specifically where they are going, they do have a general idea of what countries, because of the visas they have to get. I think they even used to get the racers unnecessary visas to throw them off the track, but I don’t know if they still do that now that traveling has gotten so complicated. 

• Like 1

Well Americans don't have to get visas in a lot of places, like pretty much all of Western Europe.

They do need visas for some Asian countries, probably African countries, Middle East.

12 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Forgetting someone is there or not being able to quickly put a name to a face isn't quite the same thing as basically saying "all these dark haired people look alike and I wouldn't know who was who if you had them standing right next to each other." I stand by what I said, but I don't want this to turn into another technology vs. paper map situation, so I'll drop it.

I understand what you’re saying, and I agree. My problem is not that the couples look too much alike, but that I don’t know who they are. If you were to list the names of all the couples on one half of a sheet of paper, put their pictures on the other half, and ask me to draw lines connecting the names with the right pictures…

The first thing I would do is ask, “there’s an Aubrey and a David?” and then I would randomly draw the lines. Because I have no idea.

And yes, I literally just said “there’s an Aubrey and a David?” when someone mentioned them above. There’s a reason this is happening to so many of us, and it’s not because we are all face blind, or can’t distinguish features. The show failed somehow, whether it was in the relatively bland casting, the imbalanced editing, or some other reason. Bottom line, we’re not crazy.

But still, even if I don’t recognize most of the teams, I’m enjoying the season! The few teams I do recognize and like, I like a lot. And that’s something.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 3

Sucks for Abby/Will to be eliminated because of a positive COVID test, but this is what should have happened on TARCan. It should be an unfortunate elimination. 

That being said, I did note the sudden increase of the teams wearing masks in public because of it, so that's good. The last few legs, some teams were getting away with no masks at all, especially in public spaces, so this got all of them to start wearing them again more consistently.

I figured it would have to be a leg where nobody else goes, and I think Phil explained why very well (Since Abby/Will were technically eliminated, that used up the elimination for that leg; it just happened at the start instead of the end of the leg).

18 hours ago, hjmugillecuty said:

They also seemed to have Abby and Will on separate screens, if not rooms, on that Zoom call. So maybe only one of them was positive. 

It seemed like they were siting next to each other with how the backgrounds were, but weirdly split for some reason. But maybe they were in separate rooms.

Also glad that it DID save Glenda/Lumumba. I think they had a rough leg, but nothing that was entirely their fault. It was just a rough and unlucky leg. I was happy to see Lumumba be so encouraging of his wife, trying to keep her spirits up at the building roadblock.

Glad to see Luis/Michelle get first again. They've been growing on me. I also love Molly/Emily and I enjoy Derek/Claire. All the teams now are very solid, which means they might start to nitpick and show the more stressful sides of some (because apparently, every show needs antagonists/people shown in a negative light). 

I can't blame some teams for not being able to find the roadblock. First off, there were no markings, and second off, it seemed like it wasn't a TAR task from the mere sight of it.

The season's decent so far!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Do you avoid walking/running/hiking trails then? Or cycling or running races in town?

I certainly do! All that exertion can kill you!

Regarding spandex pants, I have no issue with them. They could run the race naked as far as I'm concerned. (I wonder what that would do for the ratings?) But in some countries, social mores expect women to dress and act in demure fashion. I honestly couldn't tell you how Jordan stands on this matter. But skin-tight, form-following clothing is likely to raise the odd eyebrow in the middle east. Especially if they are asked to enter a government building, a religious shrine, etc.

We have a similar problem here. Tourists arrive and think they can spend their entire visit in a swimsuit. They are surprised to discover that they can't ride a bus, visit the house of parliament or go to church wearing a butt-floss bikini. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

I think Will and Abby were filmed in separate rooms as the decor was the same with the exception of the "art" prints on the walls behind them.  There appeared to be a difference in the colors in those prints.  I may be wrong (and am fine if I am) but I was trying to figure it out during that scene and thought I noticed a slight difference in those prints.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I think Will and Abby were filmed in separate rooms as the decor was the same with the exception of the "art" prints on the walls behind them.  There appeared to be a difference in the colors in those prints.  I may be wrong (and am fine if I am) but I was trying to figure it out during that scene and thought I noticed a slight difference in those prints.

It would make sense since Phil said only one of them tested positive thus the need to quarantine them away from everyone including their own partner.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, LilyP said:

Re; spandex bottoms

There is a time and place for them, and I don't think wearing them on the race is necessarily a bad thing. In the real world, my issue with people wearing them is that not all leggings are created equal. I was once walking in a park, looked up and could see right through the leggings a woman in front of me was wearing. She obviously didn't realize how sheer they became once on. I can't imagine she's the only one this has happened to.

I'm wearing running tights now, having just goten back from a run, so I can't judge what women do.

I will say as far as the race, though, I have wonder about the lack of pockets. It seems like for practical reasons you really want pants with pockets. There are so many times where challenges involve little pieces you want to secure, or there are maps you want to keep handy, or a compass to stow -- and a fanny pack just doesn't seem like it's a substitute.

• Love 4
On 10/28/2022 at 10:45 PM, Skooma said:

I'm sure TAR uses the very best testing available and not some home quickie test.

So you are saying they are using magic tests?

There is only "home" quick tests and PCR tests. PCR tests require a lab, so kinda hard on a race around the world, and the cultures have to grow for a while. That is a lot quicker than a quick test will show positive after infection, but also not instant.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:45 PM, Skooma said:

And no this isn't pre-vax 2020 and early 2021 anymore -- thank God -- so the guidelines the medical professionals use now are more liberal these days anyway. 

If that's the case then why test at all? There is an argument to be made that it shouldn't be necessary if everybody had recent vaccinations.

It comes back to security theater.

Hi again. Fucking Derek. Needing his hand held again, what a special snowflake.  I hope he isn’t Claire’s boyfriend because how can anyone be attracted to his ineffectual self. He’s gross, needy, entitled 

5 hours ago, vousviou said:

I'm wearing running tights now, having just goten back from a run, so I can't judge what women do.

I will say as far as the race, though, I have wonder about the lack of pockets. It seems like for practical reasons you really want pants with pockets. There are so many times where challenges involve little pieces you want to secure, or there are maps you want to keep handy, or a compass to stow -- and a fanny pack just doesn't seem like it's a substitute.

I have noticed a fairly recent trend, predominantly among female Racers, of clues or other papers getting tucked into the front of their tights (or other legwear) and "secured" in place by the waistband, until they can transfer things to the Amazing Fanny Pack or their other bags.  Compasses tend to be worn as necklaces, and most other things that need to be carried beyond that are for the task at hand.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

There is only "home" quick tests and PCR tests. PCR tests require a lab, so kinda hard on a race around the world, and the cultures have to grow for a while. That is a lot quicker than a quick test will show positive after infection, but also not instant.

There is also the rapid PCR test, which gives results in a couple of hours.  It only requires a special machine, not an entire lab, and is used on cruise ships.  Even in the lab, with the more conventional PCR tests, they don't grow cultures of the virus -- the RNA is extracted from the virus and amplified (that's the PCR process) until it can be detected.  The equipment used for PCR is pretty portable, too.  Even some of the larger ones only weigh 20-30 pounds and don't take up much space.  I can hold the smaller ones in the palm of my hand.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 10/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, aghst said:

Presumably the racers weren't barred from going to the stores to pick up supplies or going to get meals.

I believe that’s exactly what they were barred from doing during the last season. I seem to remember from the Holderness videos them saying once the leg was over they had to stay inside their hotel room and could not leave at all until the start of the next leg.

By the way, can you guys stop it with posting spoilers for currently running seasons of TAR in other countries? This thread is about the American Amazing Race and I don’t want to be spoiled for other ones here!

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, danm said:

Glad the show is back, don't like the time slot

On 10/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, Browncoat said:

Finally got to watch this ep (stupid 10:00 pm air time!).

In case you haven't heard, now that that dumb Love Boat thing has been shunted off to Paramount+, TAR is back at 9PM starting this week.

• Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 10/27/2022 at 12:39 PM, eel21788 said:

I had the same experience. If he was even an inch taller than me, the first thought on his mind was, "She's shorter than me. I must dominate her! I have so few other opportunities in life."

Well, there's always buying a giant pickup truck.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Maybe, but around here, if there is a giant pickup parked, the guy getting out of it is either 6'4" or 5'7".

Standing next to me, 5'7" is TALL! I'm talking about guys who are 5'2" or 5'4" at the absolute most.