Type keyword(s) to search

Make me care from the beginning: Movie opening scenes

• Start Topic

I was rewatching Flashdance and realized how much I like when the opening scene of a movie is simply a montage of shots of the city where the movie takes place, accompanied by the title song. Openings like this are also in Philadelphia and Working Girl and I'm sure there are others that just don't come to my mind right now.

A long time ago (or maybe not that long, it just feels like it), when we watched movies mainly on TV at the time it was on, it was always practical if the movie doesn't jump into the story straight away, but gives you some time if you forgot to bring snacks or switch the channel. Even now when we can start to watch whenever we want, it seems to me that it's better if you have few minutes to immerse into the movie before the important stuff begins and scenes like I described above, just watching the city, seem like a good way to feel the atmosphere where the story will take place (especially if you are not familiar with those locations).

What are your favorite opening scenes?

• Like 2

I do love the openings from older movies that included a really good theme song.  I was a teen in the 80s, so Kenny Loggins dominated that field, but hey, he made some good music.

Deadpool had me from the opening credits.  No matter how I feel about the movie as a whole, I will always love the opening to Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Of course, the Bond movies always open strong. 

I'm sure there's more I'll think of later, but that's what comes to mind now.

• Like 1
  • Love 2