Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Heartache

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

Welcome to the Carver years.  I wish I could say it gets better....

Unfortunately, I know it doesn't.  But I can deal once the majority of S8 is over.  Its palatable (for the most part) after S 8 (but sometimes not by much).

• Love 1
On 10/19/2016 at 0:50 PM, GirlyGeek said:

Unfortunately, I know it doesn't.  But I can deal once the majority of S8 is over.  Its palatable (for the most part) after S 8 (but sometimes not by much).

For me, S9 is the straw to almost break this camel's back, but I know you can do it...I know you can...I know you can...I know you can... 

Bright spots--for encouragement, of course--Everybody Hates Hitler and Pac Man Fever are ones to look forward to! Feel better now? ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
Because love is kinda the opposite of hate.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Bright spots--for encouragement, of course--Everybody Loves Hitler and Pac Man Fever are ones to look forward to! Feel better now? ;)

I'm also growing increasingly fond of "Southern Comfort".

• Love 1

Wow, these comments sound so depressing about this season.  I agree that I don't understand Sam's 'feelings' except that I suppose the writers wanted a counter to Dean's year off with a girlfriend and not trying to get Sam out purgatory.

still Sam had much more of a normal life at college than Dean ever did, so a bit tired of his whole mopey attitude.

the story this episode was pretty cool though, all the pieces making more mini gods. 

40 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Wow, these comments sound so depressing about this season.  I agree that I don't understand Sam's 'feelings' except that I suppose the writers wanted a counter to Dean's year off with a girlfriend and not trying to get Sam out purgatory.

I might be misreading you here, if I am, my apologies. 

Dean took a year off because Sam made him promise to before he jumped into the pit and Dean still tried to find a way to get Sam out of the Cage if not hunting full time.

43 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

still Sam had much more of a normal life at college than Dean ever did, so a bit tired of his whole mopey attitude.

the story this episode was pretty cool though, all the pieces making more mini gods. 

Also for what it's worth, I liked many episodes of s8 if not the entire season. I enjoy Benny and Dean and all the Purgatory stuff

I was under the impression Dean didn't try to get Sam out of the cage.  He couldn't have done so for very long , since Sam did get out in a relatively short time (albeit soulless) .

hopefully then I'll be seeing more purgatory since they gotta explain how Dean became bff with a vamp.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I was under the impression Dean didn't try to get Sam out of the cage.  He couldn't have done so for very long , since Sam did get out in a relatively short time (albeit soulless) .

hopefully then I'll be seeing more purgatory since they gotta explain how Dean became bff with a vamp.

Dean wouldn't have stopped hunting if Sam didn't extract the deathbed promise. 

From 6.1 Exile on Main Street.

obby: Because you got out, Dean! You walked away from the life. And I was so damn grateful, you got no idea.

Dean: Do you have any clue what walking away meant for me?
Bobby: Yeah -- a woman and a kid and not getting your guts ripped out at age 30. That's what it meant.
Dean: That woman and that kid -- I went to them because you asked me to.
Bobby: Good.
Dean: Good for who? I showed up on their doorstep half out of my head with grief. God knows why they even let me in. I drank too much. I had nightmares. I looked everywhere. I collected hundreds of books, trying to find anything to bust you out.

I think for Dean to have collected hundreds of books, it would have taken quite a bit of time, not necessarily the entire year, but I think a significant amount of time.  

Unfortunately, Sam apparently spent zero time on research or anything else. :(

ETA: Dean didn't know Sam had gotten out until a year later.

Edited by catrox14

I was thinking this was the next episode instead. 

Sam and Amelia is so much more forced than Dean and Lisa ever was. I mean, at least Lisa knew the truth and loved Dean for what he was. However, I love that dog. He should've kept that dog. I don't care much for the episode plot, since I completely forgot it existed apparently. I don't like Sam trying to ignore that people need him, that Dean needs him. I also think Dean's trying (badly) to guilt trip Sam into hunting by pulling the "Things are coming together, man. You and me. It is all good." Both are out of character in this one. I think Sam's initial choice made some sense, given that hunting had killed everyone he loved and by the way he freaks out about hitting the dog, I don't think he was in the best headspace when he decided to quit hunting, but I can believe he really thought Dean was dead at the time. The Kevin of it all is what pisses me off.  

• Love 1

This actually would have been a decent episode if not for the sniping between Sam and Dean.  And the weird flashback at the end of course: bitchy vet's 'Happy Birthday' was SO unenthusiastic.  Sam looked really good sitting on the motel bed in his white shirt, so there's that at least.  

• Love 1

A little more on the birthday in the park thing - cause this is what happens when I have a head cold and take medicine: I think thoughts.  Anyway, others have discussed (and I think I have also) how unlikely it was that Sam had never had a birthday cake before in all his years growing up or at least with Jess, so that is not what I'm touching on here.  It's the really, oddly unenthusiastic "Happy Birthday" from the angry vet lady.  I mean, seriously unenthusiastic.  There was so little emotion behind it.  I even rewound to be sure I was hearing it right.  It wasn't like: 'Happy Birthday!  I'm so happy you are in my life that I wanted to surprise you and do something really nice for you, so I planned this picnic!!!'  It was more like 'Oh hey.  Happy birthday.  I felt obligated to do something for your birthday for some reason, so here it is.  yay. Now sit and eat, freak,  so we can get this shit over with already.'

seriously, all you peeps who call sam's not looking for dean a character assassination, i call sam wanting a normal life a character assassination. again, it looks like the writers ran out of something to write for sam (which is so dumb, both brothers are almost hopelessly complex) and lurched him back to S1-3. seriously. can we NOT have the same arguments they have went through years before. when i say i love the old school days this was not what i meant. it had taken sam (MUCH) longer than dean, but he reached there. he finally got over pining for something he would never had. he matured and realised that even for all that pouting he did all that time, he never had a problem with dean, it was their father. and what he does with dean, it's a choice. he wants to be with him, and he knows there's no actual life outside of him, dean and hunting as much as both of them have wanted at times.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...

as i implied before, the writers could have done so many other routes with sam, even if they did have a year long deadline. BUT, i understand their choice. what was going to be better, a bunch of flashbacks of drunken/damaged sam or a sam that tried to get a life? again, i'm not at all happy with the choice they did with sam, but which would annoy/tire you faster, a total out-of-it sam or an "okay" sam (as in alive and trying to live)? 

• Love 1

On 8/21/2014 at 4:46 PM, supposebly said:

Not only Dean who stole Christmas presents for Sam but yes, Jess, of the cookie-baking persuasion wouldn't get him something for his birthday? Right.

To quote Scully: Sure. Fine. Whatever.

And another dialog gem: The year that I took off, I had something I never had. A normal life.

I'm re-watching, trying to find something in these episodes and I get so angry. It's not just a retcon, the whole raison d'etre of Sam in the early seasons and even later (when it turned out he was being watched and manipulated) was thrown out the window with this.

It kills every other aspects with Dean and I can't enjoy those either.

Well, I like Sam's hair this season.

All of these things. 

On 12/13/2014 at 5:02 AM, Iguana said:

I was convinced when this ep first aired that Amelia wasn't real and that Sam's memories of her were to help him get through The mental breakdown he had after Dean went to purgatory. Unfortunately I was wrong. God only knows how bad I wish she was a figment of Sam's imagination and he hadn't "just hit a dog".

This would have been such a good choice 

On 12/13/2014 at 1:37 PM, catrox14 said:

I always thought the Amelia picnic was an homage or parallel to Dean's supposed longing for a picnic with Lisa...which gods...why would EITHER brother really want a picnic with a woman.  I mean come on, writers.  Do you really expect me to believe that a fantasy for these boys is THAT?  No no no.

Right?

Ugh, the dialogue was so bad on the feeeeelings part of this episode. Beyond anything else, how do you have a conversation about a normal life and not have Dean talk about how the monsters still find you. About the danger your loved ones will be in. How is there no discussion of their mother? If we are gonna do this, let's at least do it right. 🙄

Ignoring that, the MoTW was okay. Predictable in a lot of ways but it was something novel.