Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5: History Beyond the Episodes

Athena
  • Start Topic

Roseanna thanks for the links. I was struck by this: "The ship evacuated over 1,000 refugees from the civil war in Aden in 1986." 

I can see how for a island country that made its reputation for good and bad based on ships and naval power, Britannica had special meaning. I don't think about Airforce One all that much but it does stand as a symbol for the US President. But of course he's a political leader more than a cultural/historical leader. The Royal Family is kind of living history.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was hoping to hear more about Fergie and her psychic Madame Vasso.  In Patrick Jephson's book he mentions that Madame Vasso made a few negative predictions about Charles.  From the vague "he would have a terrible week" or something, to more specific  things, like he would die and never be King, and Diana believed it all.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/fergie-upstages-blair-s-week-in-the-sun-1.91963

Edited by Razzberry

Can't remember which episode it was, but when Phillip ridiculed Charles about "unearned" medals did he forget that Anne has never served a day in the military and it hasn't stopped her from wearing the costume.

charlesAnne.jpg.904f18844a5ef428535a7e9ca7a93e71.jpg

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

Can't remember which episode it was, but when Phillip ridiculed Charles about "unearned" medals did he forget that Anne has never served a day in the military and it hasn't stopped her from wearing the costume.

charlesAnne.jpg.904f18844a5ef428535a7e9ca7a93e71.jpg

Blues Brothers GIF

Anne has done more to earn her uniform than Charles and Edward.  She has always put the work in working royal.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Anne has done more to earn her uniform than Charles and Edward.  She has always put the work in working royal. 

Yes, I know she's the hardest working and doesn't do it for publicity or press coverage, but that has nothing to do with military medals.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

This show descibes the Queen as unable and unwilling to show Diana any empathy or support. In his book The Queen - Her life Andrew Morton tells another kind of story: even during the time Diana and Charles were separated, Elizabeth listened to her daughter-in-law's grievances as well as made sure that there was time in her busy schelude so that Diana could take her sons to the tea. 

Morton loans the Queen's Private Secretary Patrick Johnson who tells that Diana used these meeting to assure her loyalty and said that she didn't want to cause any more harm to the Crown and the heir, Charles. Elizabeth and Johnson weren't convinced  - which is quite understandable because Diana had lied by assuring that she hadn't cooperated with Morton when he had published his tell-all-book about her. And as the Panoma interview showed, their suspicions were right.

Diana seems to have been very naive when she believed that the Queen could get Charles to end his relationship with Camilla. Has any mother such a power over her grown-up son? The Queen and the Queen Mother had made sure that they didn't accept the relationship by refusing to invite Camilla to any royal occasion.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Roseanna said:

This show descibes the Queen as unable and unwilling to show Diana any empathy or support. In his book The Queen - Her life Andrew Morton tells another kind of story: even during the time Diana and Charles were separated, Elizabeth listened to her daughter-in-law's grievances as well as made sure that there was time in her busy schelude so that Diana could take her sons to the tea. 

Morton loans the Queen's Private Secretary Patrick Johnson who tells that Diana used these meeting to assure her loyalty and said that she didn't want to cause any more harm to the Crown and the heir, Charles. Elizabeth and Johnson weren't convinced  - which is quite understandable because Diana had lied by assuring that she hadn't cooperated with Morton when he had published his tell-all-book about her. And as the Panoma interview showed, their suspicions were right.

Diana seems to have been very naive when she believed that the Queen could get Charles to end his relationship with Camilla. Has any mother such a power over her grown-up son? The Queen and the Queen Mother had made sure that they didn't accept the relationship by refusing to invite Camilla to any royal occasion.

Didn't the Queen Mother let Charles and Camille have their affair her estate?

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Didn't the Queen Mother let Charles and Camille have their affair her estate?

I have never heard that. Charles and Camilla had enough friends who had estates nearby and were willing to inivite them to the weekend parties.

If you mean Birkhall on the Balmoral estate where his grandmother lived when on holiday as the Duchess of York again as the Queen Mother, Charles inherited it after her death in 2002.

21 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I have never heard that. Charles and Camilla had enough friends who had estates nearby and were willing to inivite them to the weekend parties.

If you mean Birkhall on the Balmoral estate where his grandmother lived when on holiday as the Duchess of York again as the Queen Mother, Charles inherited it after her death in 2002.

I've read it was one of her Scottish estates. I don't if it was Birkhall or Castle of Mey. 

On 1/21/2023 at 4:02 AM, Roseanna said:

It has been reported that the Queen Mother privately supported Charles and Camilla's affair and did indeed allow them to use Birkhall for their meetings.  Apparently, her major reason for allowing it was because, having lived through the scandal of Edward and Wallis Simpson, the Queen Mum didn't want the relationship to become public and another scandal blow up.

https://www.ibtimes.com/prince-charles-camilla-affair-predicted-princess-margaret-queen-mother-supported-2920765#:~:text=But in the documentary “The Royal House of,Scottish home and use it as their bolthole.

Edited by Notabug

I read on Wikipedia that Sydney Johnson had four children. (I assume they still live in France) I wonder if any of them have any diaries or anything about their father’s time as valet to the Duke of Windsor. I also would be interested in how Sydney felt about leaving the Bahamas, was learning French easy for him? Did he feel at home there? Seems he led such an interesting life. 

• Like 2

Apologies if this is not the right thread, but: I'm curious about the movie Diana, with Naomi Watts and Naveen Andrews. It seems to be very disliked. Why? Inaccurate, or just badly told?