Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/24/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

And apparently Whoopi has never heard of Donna Summer and her infamous orgasmic song Love to Love You Baby (1975), which predates anything Grace Jones put out.

Ahh the memories.  Love me some Donna Summer(s) like my friend always used to say and it drove me nuts! Lol

• Applause 4
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

And apparently Whoopi has never heard of Donna Summer and her infamous orgasmic song Love to Love You Baby (1975), which predates anything Grace Jones put out.

I'm not a Whoopi fan and find it "entertaining" that most of her pronouncements are rarely questioned.

I also "enjoy" Whoopi's continued pontificating on parenting--and the hints at her sacrifices, when the facts show that her mother raised "Alex," aka Alexandrea Martin.  Whoopi was married from 1973 to 1979 to Alvin Martin.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Aww, Donna Summer!  How weird is it that I was talking about her with a grocery store cashier today?  She was singing Last Dance while checking me out.  My favorite was On The Radio but I wasn’t buying enough for her to serenade me with that, too.

Edited by Axie
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Axie said:

Aww, Donna Summer!  How weird is it that I was talking about her with a grocery store cashier today?  She was singing Last Dance while checking me out.  My favorite was On The Radio but I wasn’t buying enough for her to serenade me with that, too.

ha

you just inspired to look up her hits and i'm sitting here singing This Time I Know It's For Real.

whoopie can't be trusted to have a good memory about her own family much less music

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Eddie Redmayne remains a sweetheart. That is all.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:40 PM, bluegirl147 said:

Unfortunately most shows this season has been meh.

I have a feeling they're trying to have less of the hard topics for now while the co-hosts get used to AFG. Since the panel is going to be in place for several years, they don't want to up the drama between them while they still have to be stuck with one another for a while.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I know Whoopi considers herself to be The View's All Knowing Seer, but my crystal ball provides other information:

• Josephine Baker June 3, 1906
  • Eartha Kitt January 17, 1927
  • To mention only two...

(Grace Jones was born in May 1948)

I took Whoopi's point as Madonna's look/persona was directly influenced by what Grace Jones was doing in the 70s/80s/90s.   Grace merged pop music with sexy gender fluid visuals and art before Madonna (like Whoopi said, look up her images.)   Madonna was implying that Cardi B, et al had careers because of her.   And Whoopi was reminding the audience that Madonna was not the originator or the only source.    

9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I have a feeling they're trying to have less of the hard topics for now while the co-hosts get used to AFG. Since the panel is going to be in place for several years, they don't want to up the drama between them while they still have to be stuck with one another for a while.

But I don't think they are doing AFG any favors with the topics they choose to discuss.   I don't feel like we know her any better now than I did when she was auditioning.   These topics they are selecting are pretty boring and repetitive.   They can throw in a few more non-political news stories and for the love of god, stay off of reddit.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

But I don't think they are doing AFG any favors with the topics they choose to discuss. 

I think she's holding her own...and Whoopi is no longer treating her as kind as she should.  Sunny's jealousy takes over when she "disagrees" with Alyssa.  She needs to learn to be less obvious--but by now, that's impossible.  Especially when she thinks her jealousy is so attractive.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, cinsays said:

whoopie can't be trusted to have a good memory about her own family much less music

remember things as they REALLY happened...unless they paint her in the best light... followed by humble-brag, humble-brag.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Sunny's jealousy takes over when she "disagrees" with Alyssa. 

Jealousy over what?

Anything; everything?  She seems to resent Alyssa's political affiliation*...AND that she got the job.   Sunny's comments to her are just a bit too on edge.

*Wasn't that the main requirement for the job opening?

• Love 3

I love Chelsea. I know she has zero interest in running for office but she would be a great asset to the public sector. She is always so thoughtful in her comments about current issues. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Too bad the news hadn't come out about Pelosi before the end of the show, I would've liked to hear what Chelsea Clinton might've said. And of course the ladies didn't get to talk about it either beyond mentioning it at the end which means Joy won't get to comment at all since she's off Monday's. 🙄 I would be more interested in her reaction to these big news stories than the others, who often give almost scripted responses. Her reactions are more raw.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Too bad the news hadn't come out about Pelosi before the end of the show, I would've liked to hear what Chelsea Clinton might've said. And of course the ladies didn't get to talk about it either which means Joy won't get to comment at all since she's off Monday's. 🙄

yeah, i was hoping for the same.  too bad it is friday so it will be old news by monday, so not discussed.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Weren't both Chelsea Clinton and Sherri Shephard already guests this season?  Or were they both on during the late part of the summer?  Either way, it's not good to be repeating guests after only a few months.  

They can repeat Chelsea Clinton as often as they like. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Anything; everything?  She seems to resent Alyssa's political affiliation*...AND that she got the job.   Sunny's comments to her are just a bit too on edge.

*Wasn't that the main requirement for the job opening?

I think jealousy is not the right word. Maybe loathing for someone who was a collaborator in an extremely corrupt presidential administration. What would Allysa have that Sunny would be jealous of?

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

I appreciate Chelsea’s special insights as the daughter of a Prez and a person who should’ve been, but don’t need to see her (or anyone else) as a guest on a near monthly basis.  She’s apparently got 3 degrees but what has she done with all that larnin’ and enviable social position, other than write simplistic children’s books, seemingly the “in” celeb hobby? If she were surnamed Jones, would she be on at all?   But her hair looked good!  And she’s preferable to Ivanka…

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I think jealousy is not the right word. Maybe loathing for someone who was a collaborator in an extremely corrupt presidential administration. What would Allysa have that Sunny would be jealous of?

I agree with this. I don't think Sunny is jealous or threatened by Alyssa at all, she just vehemently dislikes her, for the obvious reasons. I think the only way I could buy Sunny would be "jealous" is simply in regards to the way Sara, for example, has sometimes made these overtures on the show to Alyssa to help her be heard when Alyssa's being shutdown or overtalked, whereas I only ever recall Joy (if anyone) doing that for Sunny when Whoopi is doing the same to Sunny as recent as last week when they were talking about Deal or No Deal. And with Whoopi being moderator, it's even worse because she's abusing her role at the same time by stifling somebody's views. Nobody reached out to shield Sunny the same way they are Alyssa--if anything, we know Sunny was threatened she would be fired if she wouldn't accept being treated badly by others in the past--which is amazing when in comparison most of the things Alyssa says are vile.

At least--just my opinion--it has come across a little hypocritical to me the past two months for Sara to be protective of Alyssa whenever Sunny shut her down while always having been pretty darn quiet whenever Whoopi is doing the same to Sunny. I suppose Teta favoring Alyssa could also play a role in the different response though.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

Sunny’s outfit today was very odd, and broadened her from the waist up.  And then she gushed over Sherri’s weird bra-inset dress  -  I thought at first that Sherri’s nips were showing, but then realized it was only some unfortunately-sited dents in the fabric.  Other than the “bra” and (strangely folded)wide shoulders (are they back??) Sherri did look good. So the earth is flat lady gets a talk show.  Good luck & I mean it sincerely!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Nobody reached out to shield Sunny the same way they are Alyssa--if anything, we know Sunny was threatened she would be fired if she wouldn't accept being treated badly by others in the past--which is amazing when in comparison most of the things Alyssa says are vile.

At least--just my opinion--it has come across a little hypocritical to me the past two months for Sara to be protective of Alyssa whenever Sunny shut her down while always having been pretty darn quiet whenever Whoopi is doing the same to Sunny. I suppose Teta favoring Alyssa could also play a role in the different response though.

Seriously. 

I think that would be the ONLY thing Sunny WOULD be jealous of, that first Meghan, and now Alyssa have a certain...PRIVILEGE...of protection, despite the vile and untrue things they express. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't think Sunny is jealous or threatened by Alyssa at all, she just vehemently dislikes her, for the obvious reasons.

10 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Maybe loathing for someone who was a collaborator in an extremely corrupt presidential administration.

If the "obvious reason" is Alyssa's previous job, then Sunny needs to get over it. Hating someone for any type of job that doesn't align with one's ideal is a very shallow reason to loathe or vehemently dislike someone. That type of behavior says more about the hater.

Alyssa has grown and matured since her previous job. She has apologized many times on air for her involvement, to no avail. There's not much more she can do to prove that she realizes what a mistake it was. 

When it became evident that Alyssa was a front runner...and then finally chosen, I think it was time for Sunny to put her agenda aside and at least try to get along. No one says she has to like or become buddies with Alyssa, but at least stop with the snide remarks and eye rolling. If anyone is immature on this panel, it's definitely Sunny.

• Love 4
On 10/29/2022 at 12:04 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

If the "obvious reason" is Alyssa's previous job, then Sunny needs to get over it. Hating someone for any type of job that doesn't align with one's ideal is a very shallow reason to loathe or vehemently dislike someone. That type of behavior says more about the hater.

I agree...and if Sunny's so Cath-O-lic, isn't she required to forgive?  Sometimes she seems like a Cafeteria Catholic...and her major support is anti-abortion.

• Alyssa has been very vocal about how she has evolved--mostly due to #45.
  • I'm not sure if Sunny dislikes Alyssa, but she does give off the vibe of a jealous older sibling.  Alyssa is smart, beautiful, has the intelligence and employment record that are giving her lots of (current) chances to discuss politics on many TV platforms.
On 10/29/2022 at 12:04 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

No one says she has to like or become buddies with Alyssa, but at least stop with the snide remarks and eye rolling.

AND, Queen Asuncion, if you haven't noticed--YOU are the only one acting out.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

If the "obvious reason" is Alyssa's previous job, then Sunny needs to get over it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think anyone at the show upset with that kind of hiring--Sunny or otherwise--is absolutely right to feel that way. Forgiving someone on a personal level and being good with allowing someone a massive platform to spew lies are very different things. I'd be surprised if any religion would support the latter, since the subject's been brought up...

Alyssa has grown and matured since her previous job. She has apologized many times on air for her involvement, to no avail. There's not much more she can do to prove that she realizes what a mistake it was.

I don't blame Sunny if she doesn't buy this because I don't either. Alyssa was a rat that jumped ship at the moment most convenient for her career and that's all. You can tell she has no real regrets from the way she defended Trump's handling of the pandemic earlier this week. It's all for show.

No one says she has to like or become buddies with Alyssa, but at least stop with the snide remarks and eye rolling. If anyone is immature on this panel, it's definitely Sunny.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because the only person I have problems with are Whoopi and Alyssa--and only Whoopi do I have problems with the way they deal with others, she's rude and childish on top of being dumb on most topics. For example, the way she kept Joy, Sunny, etc. from mentioning polls for the months now because she doesn't like them, lol. What a joke.

• Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

At least--just my opinion--it has come across a little hypocritical to me the past two months for Sara to be protective of Alyssa whenever Sunny shut her down while always having been pretty darn quiet whenever Whoopi is doing the same to Sunny.

This is a good point that I hadn't even noticed--but it takes cojones masivos to challenge Whoopi on anything about her behavior...actually, on anything.

It's uncomfortable to watch her slap down Sunny...but MORE uncomfortable to watch Sunny's pathetic attempts to suck up to Whoopi.  So many.  Girl, Whoopi doesn't like you; nothing's going to change.  She probably doesn't like how you obtained success through education ... another girl from "the projects."  Ignore the veiled insults and life will be better.

P.S.  Sometimes I wonder actually how long some of these stars who brag about their projects backgrounds...actually lived in the projects.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because the only person I have problems with are Whoopi and Alyssa--and only Whoopi do I have problems with the way they deal with others, she's rude and childish on top of being dumb on most topics. For example, the way she kept Joy, Sunny, etc. from mentioning polls for the months now because she doesn't like them, lol. What a joke.

I'm happy to agree to disagree--no harm, no foul ... but AGREE I MUST with your words about Our Moderator: rude, childish, dumb, etc.  Let me add "ignorant." It's entertaining or maddening to watch her be so superior about a topic where she is unbelievably ignorant.  AND...there's no one to shut her down because (apparently) she's The Queen of Disney.  We, of course, can turn off our televisions.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Seriously. 

I think that would be the ONLY thing Sunny WOULD be jealous of, that first Meghan, and now Alyssa have a certain...PRIVILEGE...of protection, despite the vile and untrue things they express. 

Exactly!

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2022 at 6:37 PM, Back Atcha said:

Sunny's jealousies are rarely logical.  She NEEDS to be the best; she can't help it.

For the record Sunny does not need to be jealous of anybody when it comes to another woman's professional achievements because as a mixed race woman with a Spanish name she could not afford to be mediocre by any stretch of the imagination. She had to work ten times harder in a system that is set up for her to fail.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
On 10/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, Pearson80 said:

For the record Sunny does not need to be jealous of anybody when it comes to another woman's professional achievements because as a mixed race woman with a Spanish name she could not afford to be mediocre by any stretch of the imagination. She had to work ten times harder in a system that is set up for her to fail.

(My bolding above)     Most would agree with you, Pearson80, and I definitely do.  She doesn't NEED to be jealous.  She also doesn't need to be jealous of her husband or anything else.  She can't help it.  She IS jealous.  She IS envious.  It's something that can be controlled, but when she brags about her jealousy, we learn she doesn't want to control it.  She probably thinks it's one of her endearing qualities--something she's proud of.  Sunny is the one (not me) who needs to hear (over and over) that she "does not need to be jealous of anybody."

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3