Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Fugitive

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing October 23, 2022:

Officer John Nolan and Officer Celina Juarez are on the hunt for a fugitive after a car incident goes awry. Meanwhile, a past injury comes to haunt Tim and Lucy comes through during his time in need in more ways than one.

16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

What was wrong with Sergeant Grey?

He had a digestive problem, apparently from an earlier department meal that he mentioned.

I enjoyed this episode, except for the last minute.  Yecch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Thoreson interacting with Lopez’ Mom in the hospital was the best writing for him yet——probably because it was subtle comedy that called for them both playing it straight, and her mom being a matchmaker was believable. 
The funniest was when Lopez came back and told Thoreson that her “cousin is way out of your league,” and he said, “Yeah. I know.”

17 minutes ago, Driad said:

I enjoyed this episode, except for the last minute.  Yecch

Don’t worry. I’m betting all that talk of Bailey having almost died 3 times is foreshadowing of her getting killed off if it comes down to them having to get married.

But I honestly don’t care whether they do get married or if Lucy and Tim get together.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

What is with the ability for people on this show to attack people and assume their identity?  It is very lazy writing.

It's convenient that Ashley is so lacking in commitment that she was willing to dump Tim because he could be in danger as a cop. This whole time, it never occurred to her that Tim could get shot until an old injury came up? How stupid.

I did not buy Chen as a sergeant, even for one day. 

I am still not in on the Chen/ Bradford thing because of the romantic development being based on undercover action as a fake couple.  Also, the age difference between the characters makes it odd. Lucy acts like a twentysomething, and it just does not work with Tim's cranky middle aged guy demeanor.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Wow! Lucy has quite a transformational leadership style.

Very impressive!

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Lucy: "Where's everybody going?"

The Guys: "Pool party at Mario's."

Lucy: "No. We don't have the staff for that. You have to stay."

The Guys: "Well, Acting Sergeant Smitty says we don't."

Lucy: "Can you talk to them? They don't respect me."

Nyla: "That's because Smitty told them to go home. You just have to tell them something different."

Lucy: "Hey guys, listen up. I need your help. We have 2 sergeants out of commission in the hospital right now and a murder suspect on the loose. That search has us spread pretty thin. We need all hands on deck now. The pool party has to wait."

The Guys: "You got it Chen. All right. Let's go guys. She needs us. You heard her."

Did a 12yo write this scene??! Ugh.

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

I only saw a few minutes of this (my usual this season) and read the recap.  I'm annoyed just by doing that.

How convenient for Ashley to pop up and break up with Tim leaving the way clear for him and Lucy.  Whatever.  I'll do what I usually do with shows that throw some couple out that I have no interest in and just switch to another channel until scenes are over.  I'm also not buying Sergeant Chen.  TPTB need to make the character less moony eyed school girl and more mature grown-ass woman.

As for Bailey asking John to marry her, another, whatever.  No way that road goes smoothly for them.  I don't think they'll necessarily kill off Bailey, but I'll be stunned if they wind up saying "I dos" anytime soon.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

I only saw a few minutes of this (my usual this season) and read the recap.  I'm annoyed just by doing that.

How convenient for Ashley to pop up and break up with Tim leaving the way clear for him and Lucy.  Whatever.  I'll do what I usually do with shows that throw some couple out that I have no interest in and just switch to another channel until scenes are over.  I'm also not buying Sergeant Chen.  TPTB need to make the character less moony eyed school girl and more mature grown-ass woman.

As for Bailey asking John to marry her, another, whatever.  No way that road goes smoothly for them.  I don't think they'll necessarily kill off Bailey, but I'll be stunned if they wind up saying "I dos" anytime soon.

I was spoiling myself and reading the last scene comments before the very end and thought it was  Lucy's smug look when hearing about Tim's break up as I am a heretic on this board and don't see what is wrong with Firefighter Bailey.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The margin loan part made no sense. The brokerage account would liquidate your positions, not cause you to seek out a loan shark. 

The Chen scene mentioned above also made no sense.

I have a hard time thinking cops would be "yay! a pool party" and go home without a thought. It's not like their jobs are a basic 9 to 5 in the office (in which case I'd totally see that happening). That seems very much a script writer's POV w/o regard to the kind of jobs cops actually have.

Though it's obviously convenient, I think the explanation Ashley gave made sense. She wanted to believe she could handle the  basic tension of being a cop's girlfriend/wife, but with the first major incident with Tim, she realized she couldn't. Her timing, however, was pretty bad. Who leaves someone - someone they supposedly love - at the hospital bedside. She could have waited a day or two.

Yeah, the Lucy character doesn't really seem like someone who can command - which is endlessly frustrating for me because I know the actress can play that.

I liked the rookie's solution in the medical van. I figured it had to  be something like morphine, but I couldn't figure out how she could swap it. I don't know much about slight of hand, I guess.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I liked the rookie's solution in the medical van. I figured it had to  be something like morphine,

Even when in imminent danger, I don't think police are allowed to practice medicine without a license.

58 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think the explanation Ashley gave made sense. She wanted to believe she could handle the  basic tension of being a cop's girlfriend/wife, but with the first major incident with Tim, she realized she couldn't. Her timing, however, was pretty bad. Who leaves someone - someone they supposedly love - at the hospital bedside. She could have waited a day or two.

Ah-ha! The only reason that made sense: The actor's dance card was full: 
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1998498/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t37

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I liked the rookie's solution in the medical van. I figured it had to  be something like morphine, but I couldn't figure out how she could swap it. I don't know much about slight of hand, I guess.

I saw at least a variation of that gimmick in a murder mystery in the past 2 years, which I am spoiler tagging:

but I think also the exact same method used to kill on one or more shows, like maybe Chuck, or Monk, or Castle

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

Even when in imminent danger, I don't think police are allowed to practice medicine without a license.

She wasn't practicing medicine. She was using an unorthodox weapon against a murder suspect who had a gun on her.

I don't like the astrology add as if she does all non traditional explanations of the world 

• Applause 3
  • Love 2

So was that, like, the most terrible, ineffective lockdown ever? Ashley clearly must have arrived after the lockdown started (since Tim was only admitted as the lockdown started), yet was allowed in to visit Tim, and then decided to GO GET FOOD IN THE CAFETERIA WHEN THERE'S A KILLER ON THE LOOSE IN THE BUILDING! Um, what? And Tim just let her go without so much as a "be careful"?!? Yeah, no, that's not how lockdowns work...

I am always here for a woobie Tim episode, though.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

This show is falling into the trap of letting real life time affect the timeline of the show. Lucy is barely in her second year as a cop. There is no way that they'd be thinking about her as a sergeant already. But since the show has been on the air for over five years, it makes more sense from a real life standpoint (as after five years on the job, someone like Lucy probably WOULD be made sergeant). 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, HelloooKitty said:

Why is Smitty still employed? Why? 

Actually, this bit finally explained to me why Smitty is still employed:

• [LUCY] Uh, hey, guys, listen up. I need your help. We have two sergeants out of commission in the hospital right now and a murder suspect on the loose. That search has us spread pretty thin. We need all hands on deck right now. I'm sorry, but the pool party, it has to wait. 
  • [COPS ALMOST ABOUT TO CLOCK OUT] You got it, Chen. All right. Let's go, guys. She needs us. You heard her.
  • [LUCY] Thank you, thank you. Thank you! 
  • [SMITTY] So, does this mean you're in charge now? 
  • [LUCY] Yeah, I guess so. 
  • [SMITTY] Cool. I'll be in the break room. Being in charge is exhausting.

Smitty is a terrible employee and a terrible cop, but he doesn't make waves, even when a lot of older male cops would have resented a young woman cop taking over. 
Smitty is "Cool" with everything.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I loved the scene between Grey and Bradford and Chen when they realized with them both in the hospital, Smitty was in charge, and they urged her to go to the station and do what she could--as Tim's special assistant presumably--and then Chen's dawning horror at the thought and immediate agreement.  The look on her face!

I love Smitty.  He's such a recognizable type.  Always good for comic relief, though he does have his other uses.  I wonder if that was a meta comment from the writers that he was at his most effective during the backdoor pilot for The Rookie: Federal Edition which for anyone with any awareness was going to be unpopular with true Rookie fans.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2022 at 12:04 AM, shapeshifter said:

Thoreson interacting with Lopez’ Mom in the hospital was the best writing for him yet——probably because it was subtle comedy that called for them both playing it straight, and her mom being a matchmaker was believable. 
The funniest was when Lopez came back and told Thoreson that her “cousin is way out of your league,” and he said, “Yeah. I know.”

Don’t worry. I’m betting all that talk of Bailey having almost died 3 times is foreshadowing of her getting killed off if it comes down to them having to get married.

But I honestly don’t care whether they do get married or if Lucy and Tim get together.

23 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I told you they gonna get married. But something will happen just before the wedding.
It is a Fillion tradition 😁

Other than that, it was a decent episode.

I pray that Bailey exits the show soon, and I don't care how. They break up, she dies horribly, whatever. 

19 hours ago, Raja said:

I was spoiling myself and reading the last scene comments before the very end and thought it was  Lucy's smug look when hearing about Tim's break up as I am a heretic on this board and don't see what is wrong with Firefighter Bailey.

I'll tell you what I don't like about Bailey.  First, I think Jenna Dewan is a terrible actress.  She has one expression, one basic emotion all the time.  Her face just doesn't move.  Besides that, because she's John's girlfriend, she is shoehorned into scenes that she just wouldn't be a part of.  She's walking around with the cops frequently as if she has ANY authority.  As far as I know, she's just a private. On top of that, it seems like she is ALWAYS working!  I am not sure what work model they have in LA, but most fire departments have moved to 24 hour shifts.  Which means, she would work 2 days a week. It's very frustrating.  

17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have a hard time thinking cops would be "yay! a pool party" and go home without a thought. It's not like their jobs are a basic 9 to 5 in the office (in which case I'd totally see that happening). That seems very much a script writer's POV w/o regard to the kind of jobs cops actually have.

Though it's obviously convenient, I think the explanation Ashley gave made sense. She wanted to believe she could handle the  basic tension of being a cop's girlfriend/wife, but with the first major incident with Tim, she realized she couldn't. Her timing, however, was pretty bad. Who leaves someone - someone they supposedly love - at the hospital bedside. She could have waited a day or two.

Yeah, the Lucy character doesn't really seem like someone who can command - which is endlessly frustrating for me because I know the actress can play that.

She may not be able to command, but anyone is better than Smityt.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2022 at 9:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

What was wrong with Sergeant Grey? Did he have a heart attack or something and then as soon as the plot no longer required it, he was back to his old job? 
Sorry. I blinked and missed it.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:46 PM, Driad said:

He had a digestive problem, apparently from an earlier department meal that he mentioned.

I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning; however, he did recover from it a little too quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2022 at 3:28 PM, eel21788 said:

And morphine, fer gossakes! I was dosed with that stuff once and the precautions were unreal. Crystals McFlake just sucks up a syringe full and sticks him? He could have dropped dead on the spot! It would have been fine if she'd pulled out a backup piece and blown his head off! But sticking him with a needle?

I frame-grabbed this picture of the bad guy's gun in the ambulance.

BB-gun.thumb.png.6e6238b8eaad0b19db4697ccc2ebd1f7.png

I wanted to read the text on the frame. I cut the portions with text, rotated and zoomed them up a bit and using a low threshold, made the text more easily readable. Pasted the results back into the original frame.

Under the trigger guard, the text reads "Warning: Not a toy. Wear eye protection to prevent serious injury to the eye. ..." This tells me that it is in fact, a 'toy'. I note that the weapon is made by Sig Sauer and not the ever popular Glock.

Under the frame in front of the trigger guard, there is a legend that reads "Cal. 6mm BB" and is followed by a symbol consisting of a pentagon with the letter F inside. Six millimeter is a common caliber for BB guns, and the F-in-Pentagon is a symbol that indicates that the weapon is an air gun that fires a projectile with a very low muzzle velocity and muzzle energy.

Nice to know that no cinematographers were endangered when making this episode.

• Useful 3
9 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I'll tell you what I don't like about Bailey.  First, I think Jenna Dewan is a terrible actress.  She has one expression, one basic emotion all the time.  Her face just doesn't move.  Besides that, because she's John's girlfriend, she is shoehorned into scenes that she just wouldn't be a part of.  She's walking around with the cops frequently as if she has ANY authority.  As far as I know, she's just a private. On top of that, it seems like she is ALWAYS working!  I am not sure what work model they have in LA, but most fire departments have moved to 24 hour shifts.  Which means, she would work 2 days a week. It's very frustrating.  

We’ve all said it before, Bailey is truly the Swiss Army Knife of characters — need a firefighter, because the plot requires it?  Here’s Bailey!  Need a Policeman, even though she shouldn’t be there?  Here’s Bailey!  Medic?  Here’s Bailey!  

A true Jack of all trades, master of none.  

And yet at every turn, the show is telling (Definitely NOT showing) us that she’s simply NOT like the other girls, she’s better!  Returning to duty a WEEK after being trapped in the serial killer’s torture pit?  Bailey’s just NOT like the other girls!  Wanting a ring on her finger?  Bailey’s going to be the one to propose, because she’s NOT like the other girls!  Dying two previous times?  It doesn’t bother Bailey because she’s NOT like the other girls!

That is an *ENORMOUS* burden of characterization and plot contrivances to be placed on *any*  actress.  Jenna Dewan is decidedly NOT the actress who can pull that off:Arrested Development GIF

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

And morphine, fer gossakes! I was dosed with that stuff once and the precautions were unreal. Crystals McFlake just sucks up a syringe full and sticks him? He could have dropped dead on the spot!

Heh. I was rather startled by that too.
Judging by his get-up-and-go despite his wounds, maybe the bad guy already shot himself up with amphetamines that would offset the morphine? 
But then my only knowledge of morphine is based on when my stomach felt like it was on fire after about 10 rounds of strong chemotherapy, and I got relief from swallowing one and a half drops of morphine that came from CVS in a small amber bottle with a dropper. 
But maybe those vials in ambulances are diluted?

46 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Nice to know that no cinematographers were endangered when making this episode.

Yes.

13 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

We’ve all said it before, Bailey is truly the Swiss Army Knife of characters

There was at least one line in one Bailey episode in which she and Nolan hung a lantern on her plethora of talents and skills by acknowledging something like: Heh. So I guess you don't have to save the world today?

So I keep telling myself Bailey is supposed to be comic relief.

But it seems the audience who will laugh at Bailey's OTT skill set will be watching in the distant future ironically.

• LOL 2
On 10/23/2022 at 11:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

What was wrong with Sergeant Grey?

He had food poisoning which went away surprisingly fast.  

I refuse to believe that there was no one, higher up than Lucy that would take over instead of Smitty, and I find it hard to believe that police officers would go home mid shift when they're trying to find a killer.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I can’t believe that they missed the opportunity, when listing Angela’s brothers, to say, “We don’t talk about Bruno.” 
I fully expected the missing Bruno to be the culprit. But it was the financial Whiz instead. 

So Buffy, uh, Bailey has died three times now, or was she just kidding about the first time, since she said it involved Big Foot. Shouldn’t there be a legal limit to the number of times you can be brought back before you are officially a vampire? 

I thought that Nolan had proposed to Bailey earlier. I guess my not caring affected my memory.

I don’t know, I kind of like Chen and Tim. I don’t think it all began when they posed as a couple in that drug deal. I think it’s been evolving throughout the show, so I think it’s been earned. Chen still has an inconvenient boyfriend though, so I’m sure it won’t be happening too soon  

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I don’t know, I kind of like Chen and Tim. I don’t think it all began when they posed as a couple in that drug deal. I think it’s been evolving throughout the show, so I think it’s been earned. Chen still has an inconvenient boyfriend though, so I’m sure it won’t be happening too soon  

I do think the two have great chemistry together, it's their working relationship that's problematic. Then again, in our little local PD, we've had our share of scandals. So at least it wouldn't be completely unrealistic.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I agree. I actually think it's been earned, too.  I actually kind of 'ship them so I'm all for it.  I find Lucy's current boyfriend VERY boring so they could just never mention him again and I'd probably forget he even existed.

• Like 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I find Lucy's current boyfriend VERY boring so they could just never mention him again and I'd probably forget he even existed.

But Lucy probably needs to officially dump the current boyfriend who hummed the song that she had sung while buried alive by Rosalind. 
Or is ghosting guest characters by main characters now done? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But Lucy probably needs to officially dump the current boyfriend who hummed the song that she had sung while buried alive by Rosalind. 

I agree that's what she should do.  I'm just saying he's boring lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

They didn't put that in the script for nothing. He will turn into Rosalind 2.0 when she breaks up with him.

Edited by b4pjoe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

They didn't put that in the script for nothing. He will turn into Rosalind 2.0 when she breaks up with him.

On 10/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

Right. That seems obvious now that you mention it. 
I wonder if they'll do a flashback to Lucy singing in Roseland's underground prison and to the boyfriend humming the tune more than once before the reveal?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/24/2022 at 12:04 AM, shapeshifter said:

Agreed. I really liked the actress playing Lopez’s mom. The writing skirted just this side of some pretty hoary clichés, but the actress sold every moment — there was something so warm and genuine about her. Hope we see more of her. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/25/2022 at 5:17 PM, Jodithgrace said:

Chen still has an inconvenient boyfriend though, so I’m sure it won’t be happening too soon  

On 10/26/2022 at 1:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

On 10/28/2022 at 5:50 AM, b4pjoe said:

Okay, I was coming here to say that there's no way, at this point, that Lucy's BF isn't an acolyte.

That has to be Chekhov's song, right? I can't believe they just threw that in there if there wasn't going to be a future payoff.

I don't know if it will be a season-ending cliffhanger or what, but her bf is just this boring, nice guy, and his utter NORMALCY is what's screaming at me, but then they throw in the song and the fact that he got so drawn into that online group.

I'm just assuming these are breadcrumbs, because I can't imagine she just breaks up with him, and they have this tearful goodbye. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

We’re a bit behind but the whole thing with Smitty just starting to send people home was stupid.  Nobody, no matter how incompetent, would do that.  I would think that sending people home so you don’t have enough coverage for basic departmental needs would be a punishable offense.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 3
On 10/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, deaja said:

The margin loan part made no sense. The brokerage account would liquidate your positions, not cause you to seek out a loan shark. 

The Chen scene mentioned above also made no sense.

Is it possible the margin loan went into negative territory?  They’re not supposed to lend more than a certain percentage but maybe something was calculated wrong?  
Also is the loan shark just going to give up now?  This is a loose end. Did they arrest him and his enforcer goon?  I think loan sharks have backup goons to collect when they go to prison for a while. Can’t let the riff raff think they’ve gone soft.  While it’s true that loans from sharks are not legal and therefore are sort of void,  the shark isn’t going away. Are they going away because the sister is a cop so that warning in the office means that the loan shark will give up?  This is a serious question. Please someone answer. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie

The margin loan can’t really do that because the brokerage firm legally had to liquidate. I guess theoretically if every position drops to zero at the same time, yes. But in reality, at that point, you wouldn’t take out a loan shark loan to pay back fidelity or whatever.