Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Blonde Ambition and the Concept of Zero

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 10/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, Tattooeddancer said:

I love chunks of skin in my mashed!

…so Georgie’s potato peeling would work out really well for you! (I know, ew…)

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too recall Mandy seeming in on it at that point. But it’s also possible Missy had texted Mandy to come quick because she bleached her hair and it was a disaster. Maybe that was a cut screen shot?

She definitely didn't text!

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But it’s also possible Missy had texted Mandy to come quick because she bleached her hair and it was a disaster. Maybe that was a cut screen shot?

In the early 1990s, it would have been a landline call, not a text message. Aside from that one small correction, I do agree with the scenario. Missy realized she had made a horrible mistake and called Mandy to come over and help her fix it. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

In the early 1990s, it would have been a landline call, not a text message. Aside from that one small correction, I do agree with the scenario. Missy realized she had made a horrible mistake and called Mandy to come over and help her fix it. 

Oops. Right. And a landline call would require a scene rather than a screenshot of a text, which these 17-minute episodes don’t have time for.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oops. Right. And a landline call would require a scene rather than a screenshot of a text, which these 17-minute episodes don’t have time for.

I think you are correct and the lack of running time is the problem. You would have to show Missy texting Mandy with a close-up on the phonescreen. In other words, it's an extra scene whether it's Missy texting Mandy (which as noted would have been impossible), or Missy calling Mandy. 

28 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think you are correct and the lack of running time is the problem. You would have to show Missy texting Mandy with a close-up on the phonescreen. In other words, it's an extra scene whether it's Missy texting Mandy (which as noted would have been impossible), or Missy calling Mandy. 

Actually, I was thinking if the show was set in the era of texting, they could have easily have just shown a quick look at Mandy's cell phone screen with just: 

• Come quick. I think I ruined my hair

Whereas, since this show is pre-texting, they'd need time for a scene with Mandy talking into her phone saying something like:

• Hi, Missy, what's the matter?
    [pause]
    Okay. I'll be right there.

--which would take longer.
Right?

On 10/20/2022 at 9:38 PM, BitterApple said:

Sheldon and Billy working together was really cute, but I'm heartbroken Billy ends up getting held back more than once. Poor kid doesn't seem to catch many breaks. 

I know they probably meant it as "funny" but IRL that would be unlikely. I believe that in most places a student has to be out of middle school by age 16 or else they will "socially promote" them, simply because it's not really appropriate to have them continue at that age with significantly younger peers. As most kids finish 8th grade at age 13 or 14, that still leaves some room for staying back, starting kindergarten later, coming from another country, etc, but it's not without a limit.

If this is 6th grade, Billy is 11/12, and 12/13 when starting 7th grade. Being there "several years" would make him 15 minimum upon starting 8th grade -- and who knows how many years THAT would take??

• Love 1
On 10/30/2022 at 7:23 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I know they probably meant it as "funny" but IRL that would be unlikely. I believe that in most places a student has to be out of middle school by age 16 or else they will "socially promote" them, simply because it's not really appropriate to have them continue at that age with significantly younger peers. As most kids finish 8th grade at age 13 or 14, that still leaves some room for staying back, starting kindergarten later, coming from another country, etc, but it's not without a limit.

If this is 6th grade, Billy is 11/12, and 12/13 when starting 7th grade. Being there "several years" would make him 15 minimum upon starting 8th grade -- and who knows how many years THAT would take??

My friend’s son was held back so much he was 16 and still in middle school. They wouldn’t let him go to the regular middle school. He had to go to the school for problem children. 

• Sad 1
On 12/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, reedGsKill said:

Sheldon speaks on how billy advanced on to the 7th grade, "where he would remain for many years" Fun fact, kindergarten and elementary school can only hold you back for 1 year.

For one thing, 7th grade isn’t elementary school, it’s middle school. Secondly, every state has different laws and I don’t believe Texas has that particular rule, neither then or now. They could flunk you as much as they wanted, although they didn’t usually do more than twice because of this part: if you weren’t finished by the time you passed age 19, you had to leave and get a GED. (This is not how they operate now, just back then.)

• Useful 1