Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The Fog

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

When a fog falls over the Clearing, Eve leads a defense against a group of invaders, only to encounter a threat more dangerous than they’ve faced before. In 1988, Josh and Riley pursue a woman who may hold the key to stopping the impending tidal wave disaster.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2022        9pm     NBC    
NUP_197484_00380.jpg
NUP_197484_00349.jpg

The ep has Aldridge as Little Red Hiding Hood, the Big Bad Wolves, and Grandma!

At least the tower purpose was revealed.

Eve tells Izzy that she and Gavin didn’t break up because of her leg injury and admits to loving Eli.

Wolfsnack and Riley meet with a university scientist who officially doesn’t believe them and then she gives it away that she is Isaiah’s mom. Wolfsnack meets grandma.

The wolves are actually clever in trying to get the bus roof open. 

The shrink comes across a former client, who we then realize he imagined.

The group helps the other group so the food stealing punishment won’t be as harsh.

Aldridge ‘dies’.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I called it ( and I sure I'm not alone ) the second Ty's patient showed up, that he was a hallucination. It was just too big of a coincidence that he was just there, out of nowhere apparently, and knew Ty personally. Too crazy even for this show and that's saying a lot.

Why did Aldridge die so quickly from a wolf bite on her shoulder when Josh lived with a bite on his side which is a lot closer to major organs ? If her bite had been on her neck or maybe on her left side ( you know, the same side that the heart or is ! ) then maybe. But we all know why she died-- so Gavin could get in the building and be the big hero. No mystery there. She didn't even live long enough for the others to find a stash of antibiotics that no one previously knew existed !

Whatever they are paying the writers on this show, it's probably too much. ( But I guess I'm the dumb one, since I will still watch. Sad, right ?)

• Love 8

Something I don't get.  Pretend you had a kid.  And you got stuck in 10,000 BC where humans are no longer the apex predator but just fun size snacks.  There are only three human settlements.  One is a village that just attacked you.  The other would enslave you if they found you.  And another involves a bunch of mad scientists.  Now let's also pretend you actually love your children.

And let's say there is a portal to 1988.  Would you tell them to run there and stay there and never come back hoping they would be safe.  Or would your mission to be to bring them back to 10,000 BC and save them from spandex and boomboxes?

Now I know the wolves are hungry and they really really miss Wolfsnack.  And as a viewer I do in a way totally support them in trying to let the wolves finish their job.  But why the hell are parents even thinking of trying to "rescue" our two lost teens from 1988 and bring them back 10,000 BC?  At least before there is a way to go back to the 2020s.

Speaking of which.  Showing off 2020 technology in 1988?  I know that the concepts were there and just waiting for better graphics and computing power.  But is absolutely nobody concerned about butterfly effects changing the future and perhaps even their own existence?  Probably all the more reason to bring a certain someone back to 10,000 BC.  The wolves are hungry.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Taget said:

Speaking of which.  Showing off 2020 technology in 1988?  I know that the concepts were there and just waiting for better graphics and computing power. 

This is pretty much why its a bad idea - the cell phone could EASILY be back engineered putting major tech into the hands of 1988 politics. Remember, we were scared of being nuked by the Soviets, back then. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Punch cards for computers were probably still in use in places and the average word processor was the size of a half room. That little phone would be seen as some sort of alien or government technology.

Nope, punch cards were dying rapidly and word processors were big but still technically portable. That little phone should have gotten some "oh like the new Star Trek" comments but computers in 1988 were in the home and certainly in schools. To a lay person the phone might seem like alien tech but a scientist, once past the oooh and ahh moment would start recognizing the miniaturization of current tech and also that the apps were all in english not alien.

I remember taking computer science in 1988 in high school and the teacher joking how the box of punch cards on his desk was completely obsolete.

Meanwhile I watched but wasn't paying close attention because I was also zooming a church board meeting. Did anything that moved the plot forward happen? It sure seemed like essentially nothing happened. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Redrum said:

Nope, punch cards were dying rapidly and word processors were big but still technically portable. That little phone should have gotten some "oh like the new Star Trek" comments but computers in 1988 were in the home and certainly in schools. To a lay person the phone might seem like alien tech but a scientist, once past the oooh and ahh moment would start recognizing the miniaturization of current tech and also that the apps were all in english not alien.

I remember taking computer science in 1988 in high school and the teacher joking how the box of punch cards on his desk was completely obsolete.

Meanwhile I watched but wasn't paying close attention because I was also zooming a church board meeting. Did anything that moved the plot forward happen? It sure seemed like essentially nothing happened. 

Maybe when I was starting to work in the late 80s/early 90s, the tech was still rather large. By around 1994ish, the computers were smaller but pricey. I remember Windows 95. Punch cards were still used til at least the mid 80s (at least where I was).

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Punch cards for computers were probably still in use in places and the average word processor was the size of a half room. That little phone would be seen as some sort of alien or government technology.

In some places?  Maybe?  But not most places.  In 1988 we had an ibm in our house. Most people didn’t but my mom was a computer programmer.  It replaced a Mac. My mom was sure that macs were the better machine but Microsoft had much more development friendly software so the switch. We also had a 2400 modem my mom used to dial into work.  She had a larger computer with a tape drive as well. She had worked on huge mainframes and with punch cards early in her career but they were no longer in her industry. 

Her company when I visited in the mid 80s had large computers for processing that she could interface with via her modem but they were more like person sized rather than room sized and they were clearly getting smaller.  

We had a word processor on my school computer in 1988 and my mom taught a class on how to use it.  It was clunky and unintuitive and I didn’t see how it was helpful but she was sure that they would improve and we wouldn’t know how we lived without them. It wasn’t that long until clippy was telling us how to use word. 

We had a 2. Something version of windows. You still kind of needed to know things to use that. By 3.0 in the very early 90s it was cake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Redrum said:

Remember, we were scared of being nuked by the Soviets, back then.

Now we are scared of being nuked by our own lack of planning and strategy, so the character change, the situation, not so much

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

In some places?  Maybe?  But not most places.  In 1988 we had an ibm in our house. Most people didn’t but my mom was a computer programmer.  It replaced a Mac. My mom was sure that macs were the better machine but Microsoft had much more development friendly software so the switch. We also had a 2400 modem my mom used to dial into work.  She had a larger computer with a tape drive as well. She had worked on huge mainframes and with punch cards early in her career but they were no longer in her industry. 

Her company when I visited in the mid 80s had large computers for processing that she could interface with via her modem but they were more like person sized rather than room sized and they were clearly getting smaller.  

We had a word processor on my school computer in 1988 and my mom taught a class on how to use it.  It was clunky and unintuitive and I didn’t see how it was helpful but she was sure that they would improve and we wouldn’t know how we lived without them. It wasn’t that long until clippy was telling us how to use word. 

We had a 2. Something version of windows. You still kind of needed to know things to use that. By 3.0 in the very early 90s it was cake. 

Thanks for sharing your first-person history, @bybrandy!
See also: nytimes.com/1988/04/13/us/education-computer-s-role-in-class-expands.html

I wonder if at least the title of the episode, "The Fog," was inspired by the "Smoke Monster" of Lost.
Neither the Fog nor the Smoke Monster ever lived up to their hype (although on Lost the Smoke Monster was later written into a flesh-and-blood character).

The only justification for the love triangle would be if one of the characters we've already met is the child of Eve and Levi. 

This was a halfway decent episode, for a dumb show. On the one hand I'm glad Aldrich is dead because I was sick and tired of her cryptic dialogue and refusal to answer direct questions. On the other hand, it's awfully convenient to kill her off before she can reveal much of anything, aside from the fact that Gavin's parents built the tower.

I was annoyed they introduced another character until I realized it was just Ty's imagination. I'm still pretty sure we're going to find out they have some sort of miracle cure for his brain tumor, either at the tower or just from being back in time somehow.

And let's say there is a portal to 1988.  Would you tell them to run there and stay there and never come back hoping they would be safe.  Or would your mission to be to bring them back to 10,000 BC and save them from spandex and boomboxes?

Yeah this makes zero sense. Apparently they can "control" time travel at the tower, but who the hell is in there? Aldrich says Gavin's mother is in 1988 but she's "coming back." WTF? If it's the same character Josh and Riley just met, she hasn't even gotten past the experimental stage yet, let alone gone back to 10,000 BC to build the damn tower. 

Well, remember - I said it was halfway decent. The wolves are still smarter than the human characters.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

An almost OK episode, even though I rolled my eyes again with the angsty Eve about Izzy and the relationship between Veronica and Ella.  At least both seemed to be resolved by the end of the episode.  

One laugh out loud funny line, courtesy of Scott - when he was talking to Gavin to explain to him about going to see Aldrich he asked him about being familiar with the concept of time travel, Gavin responds “we’re in 10,000 BC.  Well, duh!  Then when the wolves were eating the bus to get inside and he said it must not taste that good. 😆😆😆.  That vape pen still has enough juice for him but he’s excited about a field of marijuana.  Maybe he and Lucas can set up a business with it, lol. 

So that mysterious building and the Exiles delivering the rocks to power the place - I wonder if they have any idea what the building is about - are some of them time travelers.  To have that deal in place they’d have to get something out of it and I wonder what it is.  I don’t believe Gavin, etc. will be able to get in there right away like the next episode, there’s going to be some kind of obstacle.  

Then in 1988, waving that cell phone around, I’d wonder how adept that Geology guy is with technology that letting him see the device then talk about all it does.  We met Gavin’s mother so there’s probably a reunion coming, most likely in 10,000 BC when Silas will pop up again.  It doesn’t make much sense to me that you’d want to get the family back together in 10,000 BC to go back to the present. If you’re standing in front of someone who can travel through time maybe try to get them to send you home.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The wolf CGI was so bad.  Like really, really bad.

Who knew that the floors of city buses were paper thin ? And apparently edible.

Does that make Aldridge WolfSnack 2.0 ?  Seriously, her wounds were WAAAAY less serious than Josh, but she died within in minutes of being bitten.  Same thing for Joseph -- his leg looked pretty bad, but he will likely pull through.

That unobtainium explosion in the fire was pretty underwhelming.  That was a pretty big assumption by Gavin that it would explode at all -- just saying "it's an energy source" doesn't mean it would go kaboom.  It could be radioactive, for example.  Gavin jumps to a lot of conclusions in this show -- he could probably make effective use of a 'Jump to Conclusions' mat. #OfficeSpace  Maybe there's one in the Tower. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah this makes zero sense. Apparently they can "control" time travel at the tower, but who the hell is in there? Aldrich says Gavin's mother is in 1988 but she's "coming back." WTF? If it's the same character Josh and Riley just met, she hasn't even gotten past the experimental stage yet, let alone gone back to 10,000 BC to build the damn tower. 

Well, remember - I said it was halfway decent. The wolves are still smarter than the human characters.

Maybe the version of Gavin's mom that is coming back is from much later in the future? 1988 version of her is experimenting, but maybe it was 2000 version of her that first came there to  build the tower. And maybe 2022 version of her that Aldrich is expecting back?

4 hours ago, NoReally said:

So, Eve is in love with Levi but still considers herself part of a family with her husband and kids. Do I sense a thruple on the horizon?

I didn't see her comment as a big deal, lots of parents say stuff like that to their kids when they split up. She will always be a family with her kids, and her husband will always be family with her kids, so it is kind of true, even if they divorce.

I thought it was crappy of Eve to tell Izzie that she's in love with Levi before telling Gavin. I mean, I don't care if she leaves Gavin, but telling Izzy first puts her in an awkward position. And Gavin just came to 10,000 BC for her.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Amy Beth said:

The show runners seem all in on making Eve the most amazing super heroine who always saves the day.

On that note, the most ridiculous scene, which proves why all those people waling around aimlessly deserve to die, is the one when the wolves arrive, everyone freezes, and only seek shelter when Eve yells "run". I mean, If I am close to shelter I will not stop and wait for directions.

Another point: they all worked pretty well to carve out pears and other weapons, and the  decoy dummies, waiting for the tribe member to arrive, but they cannot use the spears to at least try to hunt? 

At this point, I am team wolf. They seem smarter and have way more grit than any of the survivors. And did the people in the bus dropped their spears? 

Another point: when everyone runs, the main character are all together, the extras disappear. C'mon directors. At least put some of the lower castes together with the super heroes. Such discrimination! On the other hand, the extras are probably safer because the wolves think that the main cast has better meat.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I just can't get over Gavin letting Izzie even come to 10,000 BC.  Never mind that the odds of getting back are terrible, so "sure, let's bring your remaining, safe kid along".  She's got a handicap which *cannot* be addressed in that setting.  I know they did the whole "I can totally paste your prosthetic back together" thing, but that was completely ridiculous.  That's not how these things work.  Representation is nice, unless it's stupid, or clueless.

I guess it's to this show's benefit that it is sooooo dumb that I'll probably keep watching, just out of sheer absurd entertainment.  I'm not sure that's a good thing, though?  And I'm absolutely sure it's not what they were going for.

Edited by ICantDoThatDave
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, circumvent said:

Another point: they all worked pretty well to carve out (s)pears and other weapons, and the  decoy dummies, waiting for the tribe member to arrive, but they cannot use the spears to at least try to hunt? 

I know! Especially since it's been shown that even the most primitive pointy stick thrown from any distance, which hits anywhere, is instantly deadly to any animal!

Edited by ICantDoThatDave
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, circumvent said:

At this point, I am team wolf. They seem smarter and have way more grit than any of the survivors. And did the people in the bus dropped their spears? 

I dropped watching ‘The Walking Dead’ when I realized that I was rooting for the zombies rather than the living, because they were too dumb to live.

”He’s my son…

”Which means [extremely dramatic pause] that you’re my grandmother!”

I legitimately cackled.

So, did Eve spend two weeks studying under Katniss Everdeen or did the showrunners introduce some more magical powers to the Greatest Person to Have Ever Time-Traveled?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

I guess it's to this show's benefit that it is sooooo dumb that I'll probably keep watching, just out of sheer absurd entertainment.  I'm not sure that's a good thing, though? 

It's a good thing that I can't take this show too seriously, because otherwise I'm sure I would have given up on it by now.  As it is, I barely pay attention while it's on.  The longer things go on, and the more confusing time weirdness that gets thrown in that you have to keep straight, it's not going to be a good combination.  I have a feeling this show is on my short list to stop watching.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, Frozendiva said:

The wolves are actually clever in trying to get the bus roof open. 

Can we just base the show around them?  They're the only ones doing anything intelligent.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:09 AM, Redrum said:

That little phone should have gotten some "oh like the new Star Trek" comments but computers in 1988 were in the home and certainly in schools.

Nobody at phones that small in 1988 and the existing phones couldn't do 99% of what that phone could.  There should've been a lot more surprise over it.

Honestly, I'm on the verge of giving up on this show.  The only reason I'm sticking around is the chance to see more unconvincingly CGI'd prehistoric animals.  Well, that and Scott.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Nobody at phones that small in 1988 and the existing phones couldn't do 99% of what that phone could.  There should've been a lot more surprise over it.

The ones on Star Trek Next Generation could :)

And my point was that while a lay person would be genuinely shocked by a cell phone, a scientist, once past their shock, would recognize the basic principles of the device exist in 1988 just in much larger form and could pretty quickly get a 1988 cell phone company up and running. A similar idea runs thru the Terminator movies - Cyberdyne Systems gets the chip from the original Terminator and back engineers it to bring out an explosion of new tech. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Can they just pick up another Aldridge from earlier in the timeline now?

That's an excellent question. 
If the show addresses the questions of death in different times, and whether the "butterfly effect" is "real," maybe the show could have a chance at another season.
But I seriously doubt this show can get there. 
Wikipedia says there are 14 episodes this season for them to tell a story.

I prefer Gavin to Eli but I don’t need Gavin and Eve together. I just wish Eve was telling Gavin the truth rather than covert hand holds with Eli and convos with Izzy. Gavin deserves a cards in the table moment with Eve before he catches them together. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gavin knew about Levi already. That was addressed last season when Levi flew the special  tine travel plane down the  sinkhole. Plus he realized Levi and Eve were back together when Eve acted funny when Levi saw Eve have her hands  on Gavin’s  arms. 
Eve needs to remember that Gavin’s visions were the reason Gavin was drinking ( wouldn’t  you if you had them?) and that the visions came true. 
Scott is my favorite character. Lucas 2.0 is a lot different than  last season. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Because Levi is not Eli. Thank you Shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I watch with captions; "Eli" and "Levi" might otherwise be interchangeable, given the not fantastic diction of these actors.😉

Very true-  but I think I wasn’t paying attention when I read Brandy’s post and just went with what she said.    I like Eli although he’s a little naive.  I don’t like Levi all that much - I guess because I am on Team Gavin. 

18 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Gavin knew about Levi already. That was addressed last season when Levi flew the special  tine travel plane down the  sinkhole. Plus he realized Levi and Eve were back together when Eve acted funny when Levi saw Eve have her hands  on Gavin’s  arms. 
Eve needs to remember that Gavin’s visions were the reason Gavin was drinking ( wouldn’t  you if you had them?) and that the visions came true. 
Scott is my favorite character. Lucas 2.0 is a lot different than  last season. 

Gavin knew about Eve and Levi having an affair before, and may suspect that something has been happening between them down in 10,000 BC. But he doesn't necessarily know Eve wants to leave him for Levi. She should tell him directly if that is really the case.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I like Eli although he’s a little naive. 

There's an Eli?!

9 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Gavin knew about Eve and Levi having an affair before, and may suspect that something has been happening between them down in 10,000 BC. But he doesn't necessarily know Eve wants to leave him for Levi. She should tell him directly if that is really the case.

Hasn't she already left him? I thought they were separated.

40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Not listed on IMDb for this show.🙃

TY - the psychologist with the brain tumor - that’s who I was referring to as being naive.  And who for some reason I seem to think is Eli.  Where is my brain these days?  Probably being killed off by watching shows like this one. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 3
35 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

TY - the psychologist with the brain tumor - that’s who I was referring to as being naive.  And who for some reason I seem to think is Eli.  Where is my brain these days?  Probably being killed off by watching shows like this one. 

Ah yes. Poor Ty, who doesn't know he's a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. 
Ty has a brain tumor, right?

Hrmmmm [shapeshifter quickly Googles]. 
Or maybe in Australia and New Zealand a psychiatrist does routinely also act as a therapist like psychologists do elsewhere? See: ranzcp.org/news-policy/policy-and-advocacy/position-statements/role-of-psychiatrist-in-australia-and-new-zealand
If so, the show at least gets one round of applause for casting someone who can correctly call themselves a "psychiatrist" when they are what we would call a "psychologist" or "therapist."
TV shows always seem to mislabel psychologists as psychiatrists, presumably assuming that most viewers call them that. IDK. Maybe they do.

Edited by shapeshifter
14 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

This proves how little I know remember these people because I thought you were talking about Jon Seda's character here at first lol. Honestly, there's too many characters, especially since like 70% of them don't even really get to do anything.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2022 at 4:48 AM, mythoughtis said:
On 10/21/2022 at 9:23 PM, shapeshifter said:

@bybrandy and @mythoughtis, you mean "Levi" not "Eli," right?

I did mean Levi.  thank you

Edited Yest. at 04:49 AM by mythoughtis

To “peachmangosteen”: Eli is Levi.

Edited by alvajon
correction
  • Wink 2

It appears that trying to remember the characters names is the main result of watching  these episodes.  That’s not a good sign in season 2.  
FYI: today I discovered the negative type guy in the background with the wild hair is Judah.  

• LOL 1
On 10/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, peachmangosteen said:

There's an Eli?!

Hasn't she already left him? I thought they were separated.

Yeah, they were separated. I guess what I meant was tell him she is with Levi. Gavin seems to be under the impression he still has a chance.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Those "warriors" were willing to put a spear through innocent people just because a few of them stole some food?  Are they really any less psycho than the Exiles?

Wolves are prowling and everyone in this amazing family wants to get out of their sheltered positions to "save" the other family members.  The wolves could have just waited for them to come out willingly.

And then that "awesome" plan to ignite the energy rock.  Which could very well have made the bus catch on fire trapping everyone inside.  Lucky they all have plot armor.

Unlike the one-who-knows-too-much-who-must-die.  This show isn't this show when it isn't the blind leading the blind so we couldn't have Aldridge leading them into the tower.  Can't wait for Cryptic Grandma to join them before being stepped on by a mastodon.

Surely the wolves would have come back immediately when they realized there was hardly any danger and snacks were all around having heartwarming moments in the evening. 

Any chance the clearing people will be pro-active to prepare for the next time they are attacked by ravenous animals and/or vengeful prehistoric folk?

It was pretty obvious Ty was talking to a hallucination.  I was ready for that guy to turn into a zombie and accuse Ty of not helping him so he committed suicide or something.

The most entertaining thing about this episode was Gavin constantly tossing his head back like he was in a hair product commercial.  Yes, that 10,000 BCE air really gives his hair extra body and volume.

Edited by Camera One
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, willco said:

Whatever they are paying the writers on this show, it's probably too much.

I don’t know — can’t you just pay the kids in the junior high after-school sci-fi club with 7-Eleven gift cards or something like that?

Edited by tkc
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 10/24/2022 at 10:11 PM, Camera One said:

It was pretty obvious Ty was talking to a hallucination. 

Ty screaming up to the sky after Parra tells him that it was a hallucination:  "You realize I'll still have to bill you for that!"

• LOL 1