Type keyword(s) to search

Ticket to Paradise (2022)

Avabelle
  • Start Topic

I'm glad you posted this version of the trailer.  I've seen it in theaters probably a dozen times, and loved it every time.  There's a version on TV that has something with a male flight attendant that hits other notes, and I don't like it anywhere near as much.

The part at 2:00 where Clooney says "I knew it" and nods his head is something nobody else can do quite like him. 

The movie isn't getting great reviews (47 on Metacritic right now), and it's entirely possible the best parts of the movie are all in the trailer and the other hour and 40 minutes will be unendurable and I would be better off watching the trailer a dozen more times, but I'm willing to give it a shot based on Clooney alone; I'm neutral on Julia Roberts but sometimes she can bring it.

• Love 2

I watched it, it was ok. Not one of their best romcoms but it was enjoyable. The stakes never felt particularly high so it’s one of those movies you could have on in the background. The male love interest from Emily in Paris is very funny here as Julia’s boyfriend Paul. I’ve no idea why Billie Lourd was in it other than to serve as the exposition prompter.

I saw it this afternoon, and I thought it was delightful fluff.  I laughed out loud a lot!  Not only during the movie itself, but also during the bloopers they showed with the beginning of the credits.

I only had a couple of minor nitpicks -- one was when Julia Roberts' boyfriend got bitten by the snake, and she sucked the wound.  Don't do that.  That is not actually helpful, and could be more harmful.  The other was that they kept implying that Lily was going to begin working at a law firm as a lawyer in the fall, but also implying that she had only completed four years of college.  They never said anything about the extra three years for law school.  

Otherwise, I enjoyed it!  And the scenery was absolutely gorgeous.  I'd see it again just for that.

• Love 1

I had to pick between this and Amsterdam and I picked this.  I enjoyed it.  It was a nice way to waste an afternoon.  I even like the French boyfriend, even though that part was a foregone conclusion.  Light, fluffy entertainment I needed.  I spent way too much time trying to figure out where I knew Lily from.  

• Love 1

I only had a couple of minor nitpicks -- one was when Julia Roberts' boyfriend got bitten by the snake, and she sucked the wound.  Don't do that.  That is not actually helpful, and could be more harmful.  The other was that they kept implying that Lily was going to begin working at a law firm as a lawyer in the fall, but also implying that she had only completed four years of college.  They never said anything about the extra three years for law school.  

Ugh, as an attorney, it bugged me so much that they made it seem like you can become a lawyer after only 4 years of college, no law school and no bar exam!  And they said that multiple times!

Other than that, I loved it.  Its a rom com.  We need more of these low stake movies.  And honestly, both Clooney and Roberts should stick to playing themselves, essentially.  They should continue to take roles that let them shine as movie stars, rather than as actors ;)

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 10/22/2022 at 5:15 PM, Browncoat said:

The other was that they kept implying that Lily was going to begin working at a law firm as a lawyer in the fall, but also implying that she had only completed four years of college.  They never said anything about the extra three years for law school. 

They didn't imply it--they outright said it. 

My mantra when confronted with discrepancies is, "It's not a documentary."  But there's a limit.  How about they make her an engineer?  I know scads of engineers, very successful engineers, and none of them have graduate degrees.  So she just graduated with an engineering degree and is taking a post-graduation trip the day after graduation (hello bar exam?) before she starts her career with a top-notch engineering firm.  And STEM points!

So yeah, that bugged.  But also, why would her mother have matches in her purse?  Again, not a documentary, but it's easy enough to find another reason for her to get into her mother's purse, or even to have her mother spill the contents, which happens all the time in romantic comedies.

Ultimately, I didn't much like the movie, but the audience I was with definitely did, and I'm happy for them.  I should have just watched the trailer a dozen more times because I loved that.

• Like 1

Saw it today, and it was fun! Like everyone said the tropical scenery was beautiful and the movie was fun. I’m glad they left it ambiguous about George and Julia’s characters: obviously there were some old feelings, but they both agreed hooking up would be a mistake. 

Stealing the rings was pretty low, especially because they made the poor ring bearer girl think it was her fault.

Billie Lourde looks and sounds more like Carrie every day. She would have loved her playing the hard partying best friend.

• Love 1

The other was that they kept implying that Lily was going to begin working at a law firm as a lawyer in the fall, but also implying that she had only completed four years of college.  They never said anything about the extra three years for law school.

This was so weird, and such an unnecessary distraction. She said "I'm a lawyer" when she got to Bali. Literally no one who just graduated from college and hasn't even started law school would say that. But the movie was also clear that yeah, she just graduated from college. What a stupid decision on the part of the writers. They are trying to thread the needle of having her be super young but also accomplished at the same time, and it fell flat and annoyed me.

I loved the scenery and Julia Roberts's dress for the wedding day. It was a fairly meh movie that basically is built around the chemistry of Clooney and Roberts. Which is GREAT. And deserves a better script.

• Love 1

I saw it today.  It was pleasant.  The scenery was gorgeous.  The best part was Lucas Bravo as the pilot boyfriend which surprised me because I find him to be a bit of a dud on Emily In Paris.  The writing for him was more fun here.  I'm glad they didn't make him too much of a joke as some romcoms tend to do.  He was believable as someone Julia would date in a regular way but not "I wanna marry him" way.

I agree with everyone's critiques about law school and college.  But throwing it off even more, didn't George and Julia get married 25 years ago and had their daughter 24 years ago?  That'd make Kaitlyn's age align more with finishing law school than college.  So sloppy.

And I also find it kind of strange that a plane from Chicago would stop in LA to pick up LA passengers without disembarking.

This was horrible waste of an hour and a half. I love George Clooney. Julia Roberts not so much although I can take her in certain roles. But this one UGG. I just saw Kaitlin  Dever The other night in a different movie. If you want to see her actually act well, because she can, think Justified  etc. you should watch Rosaline. She was a total blah in this movie. The scenery was gorgeous everybody else was OK but boy this was some cheap crap story. 

• Like 2

I wanted to love this but I immediately felt annoyed at Lily throwing everything away and getting married to a guy she met what, a month or two ago on a vacation? I guess I’m not a fan of the trope. I feel like it would have been better had she worked in the US for a while and then taken a sabbatical of sorts where she discovered she wanted a simpler life. She doesn’t have any life or real world experience when she’s just graduating college. Just seemed insane to me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The daughter and her husband-to-be didn't sell it for me. They didn't convince me they were in love, and the guy in particular lacked the charm to make me want to root for him + feel like marriage with the daughter is right. Julia Roberts and George Clooney on the hand, definite veterans.

• Like 2

I watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Roberts and Clooney have amazing chemistry and I bought their characters as exs and loved their relationship storyline.

The entire plot of the movie is to stop the marriage so I'm fine with their shenanigans but it was crummy to make the little girl think she lost the rings. 

Didn't even notice the daughter saying she was a lawyer. I forgot about the graduation by the end of the movie. 

It will be a background movie for me if I see it on air.

• Like 2