Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Don't Sweat the Technique

jewel21
  • Start Topic

With Spencer’s life hitting a rocky point, he takes some advice from JJ and Coop to embrace college life. Olivia and Billy’s suspicions about Coach Garrett resurface and cause tension between them and Jordan. Layla makes a power play that catches an unsuspecting Patience off-guard. Meanwhile, Asher struggles with trying to be JJ’s coach and maintaining their friendship.

Airdate: 10/17/2022

I'm glad they at least showed the bowl game in the episode, even though it was obviously in the same place they used for all the GAU home games when it was supposed to be in Atlanta.  They could have mentioned that maybe Jordan couldn't get his throws off not just because he "came back too soon," but because he punched another guy a bunch of times in the spinoff episode last week.  Of course Billy likely doesn't know that.  Even though Isaiah was going for the big guy's knees to explain how he could injure him, he's so tiny I find it hard to believe he didn't get hurt himself in the process.  No matter how many times they try to emphasize how Olivia and Billy's discovery is huge and could destroy the whole progam, I'm just not buying that this will happen.  They have to still have football, so at worst, Jordan and Spencer would become teammates with J.J. if he can even keep his scholarship.  It doesn't even seem like Olivia and Billy have any real proof anyway.  They would need interviews with players who participated in the scheme, financial proof (though it was probably all cash anyway), things like that.

I know Olivia is heartbroken, but she was very annoying.  Even though Spencer dumped her, she had looked decidedly less than thrilled to be around him the entire season premiere, especially in that picture that Coop took of their hug that was supposed to show what love looked like.  I guess she has to watch the game still because her brother was playing, otherwise I would ask why she didn't just leave or stay in her room.  At least she was going to apologize to Layla's new p.r. person.  Jordan was being just super-corny with his third-grade jokes, but it was funny when Patience made that noise at him after he said he was funny.

I feel bad for Jaimie still dating Asher, because if they just quietly broke up, she'd wouldn't die like she obviously will at some point.

I guess Laura was the one who gets the off-camera treatment this week.  Of course D'Angelo isn't around because he was never a regular.  Grace still is, which surprised me.  In the updated CW press release for the season, they also wrote, "J.J. Parker as Hunter Clowdus" instead of the other way around, so I guess they're really paying a lot of attention.

Olivia is a horrible journalist.  She has a phenomenal story, but can't get the proof.  Given the inherent protections a major program has, she has little choice but to work around the edges until she has two sources on the record.  The only way that happens is if things are on the QT.  Now, by blabbing to Jordan, she has to put up now or shut up.

Also, now that the cat is out of the bag, why on earth was not her next call to Spencer to explain everything?  Absurd that she did not. 

I will say, they did an excellent job in the editing/portrayal of the latest "hit job" play.  It was certainly a penalty, but particularly nasty?  Not from what I saw.  It does very well support the "did he or didn't he" arc, though.  For now?  No way can a responsible reporter cite it as conspiratorial.  More evidence is required.

Asher being a "coach" on a team where J.J. is a player simply can't happen.  He could certainly be some type of consultant to the coaching staff.  But, anything involving direct responsibility over any of the players is also absurd.  And impossible.  By the way, they really should bring in Vince Van Patten to play some long lost family dude.

Layla is truly pathetic as a budding mogul.  The romance with Jordan is laughable, too.  The overall insistence that a nice person who is highly ethical has a chance in Hades in that biz?  Fantasy.  It will be interesting if they decide to turn her into a beyotch.  I know I would.

• Love 1

Hey Spencer, just because you're now a single college freshman - and you're "Spencer James" - doesn't mean you have to become a manwhore within a week.  The only good thing about this episode was him not being able to sleep with a random girl.  I appreciated that he came to his senses.  The rest of the episode was boring.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Olivia is a horrible journalist.  She has a phenomenal story, but can't get the proof.  Given the inherent protections a major program has, she has little choice but to work around the edges until she has two sources on the record.  The only way that happens is if things are on the QT.  Now, by blabbing to Jordan, she has to put up now or shut up.

True! And then to confront Billy saying she's the "more mature" twin? Pu-lease!!! Obviously she didn't learn anything from Dan Rather! Wait until you have proof (I like Dan, but he did have some credibility issues after the Dubya situation). I'm sure with all of her nearly out in the open accusations whatever's going on will be hushed up. Jordan's questions were slightly pointed but at least he has some finesse and relationship to the program. She needs first-hand sources, though.

Sleeping with one other woman - after breaking up with his girlfriend - hardly makes him a manwhore, but it was funny to see him brushing his teeth, flossing, ANYTHING but go back to the bedroom! But then to get upset that J.J. had sex with her, really? 

• Like 1
On 10/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, Kristi800 said:

Sleeping with one other woman - after breaking up with his girlfriend - hardly makes him a manwhore, ...

Right, I agree, but if it was up to his friends, that's not all he would have done.  JJ posted that it was Spencer's "smash tour" or something like that and Spencer entertained going along with it.  I'm glad that he didn't.