Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: A River in Egypt

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A college professor comes into the ER and Conrad realizes it’s a former patient of his from when he was an intern. Meanwhile, Devon ends up admitting a man – who swears by an anti-aging regimen that he thinks is the answer to eternal life – into the hospital after he collapses.

Airdate: 10/18/2022

FFS, so done with Padma's baby drama. Hire a nanny to assist. And - you have two arms, stop saying you can't hold both. Maybe you can't feed them both with bottles, but you can lie down and hold both of them skin-to-skin. I'm glad they had Austin notice she's struggling while Leila is totally oblivious to her twin's pain. I like that Devon realized that having kids with both of them working doctors would be crazy.,

Conrad, why are you skirting around the edges of have The Talk with Billie? You're with what's-her-face, this is not the time to go there.

• Like 2
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

FFS, so done with Padma's baby drama. Hire a nanny to assist. And - you have two arms, stop saying you can't hold both. Maybe you can't feed them both with bottles, but you can lie down and hold both of them skin-to-skin. I'm glad they had Austin notice she's struggling while Leila is totally oblivious to her twin's pain. I like that Devon realized that having kids with both of them working doctors would be crazy.,

Conrad, why are you skirting around the edges of have The Talk with Billie? You're with what's-her-face, this is not the time to go there.

Please, no more Padma. But maybe they are doing for a post partum depression storyline? Still, having to put up with Gigi storylines is enough "home life" for me.

Except for Bell and Kit's home life. I am so glad Bruce Greenwood is back. I think he was filming another show? In any case those two have been sorely missed as Kit hasn't been on much either. I hope they now get their share of camera time. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

Jessica and Irving’s relationship is so, so adorable! 

Not surprised to see Marko (Mr Longevity) have a heart attack. He did have a time of lucidity afterwards, though, and I DO NOT understand why Irving and Devon didn’t take that time to get a list of all of the meds, supplements and snake oils that Marko was taking! Him being on, for example, metformin, shouldn’t be a surprise conclusion that the doctors have to deduce! 

Marko: “I want my life to have meaning” (paraphrased)

Me: “there are so many charities, group homes, organizations, inner city schools, shelters, etc that you could donate to to make your life have meaning than this “aging is bad for you so let’s find a way to stop it” nonsense!” 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

And - you have two arms, stop saying you can't hold both

Give the woman a break! Nobody, so far, in the whole history of humankind has ever had twins so she is a trailblazer who needs to figure this whole new thing out! Besides, twins MUST absolutely be held and fed at the exact same time because when a twin cries because they are waiting, the world will come to a halt and the universe will collapse on itself. 

• Wink 2
  • LOL 4

Those dolls they used in most of the baby scenes were too obvious.

Padma, you insisted you had to be a mother, were absolutely obnoxious to everyone about it, and nothing could stop you....well, this is the reality of motherhood. I have no sympathy.

At least she's  not trying to raise them in her camper, though.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

So .... denial.

Cade is denying that her father may still be using drugs. Raja denied that he had cancer (although bandages have to be changed, what was he thinking when he put on a new bandage?  His fiance in denial too about the fact that he's had a bandage on for two years.

Marko in denial that he might die. And WTH is the metaformin toxicity? Those of us on metaformin whose doctor never checks for metaformin toxicity want to know.

Padma is in denial that she needs help. I hear ya' girl. I had postpartum depression too and the baby had all day colic and I had only one child.  AJ needs to hire an infant nurse to help her so she can get some time off and some sleep. (Interestingly a study of mothers who had adopted infants vs the mothers who had given birth to them found that the postpartum depression was in the adoptive mothers, probably because of sleep deprivation.) At least Devon isn't in denial that he can have both his career and Leela's babies.

I really liked the OB doctor saying that if the babies pass out from crying, they'll start breathing again.  LOL.  That's the sort of talk Padma needs

What was that conversation between Conrad and Billie about wanting to know supposed to be about? Billie already knows how he feels about her (firmly friend-zoned), and he sure isn't asking her anything about her feelings for him.

Kit/Bell and Jessica/Irving = the best couples on the show. Even if Irving is denying death.

• Love 2

I will say that I do think that anyone's first solo day with newborn twins would struggle and be overwhelmed. That is hard and even someone super-capable, responsible and mature would struggle to come up with systems to manage two newborns with differing needs on day one. Plus, Padma herself would still be recovering from surgery. She needs paid support for at least a few months while her body heals up.

I really don't understand what is happening with Conrad and Billie? He's been oblivious all this time so why suddenly is he picking up on her feelings. If anything has changed it's that she's less moon-eyed now than she was at the end of last season. It doesn't make sense.

I'll stick around for the Kit/Bell wedding but I need to break up with this show.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I will say that I do think that anyone's first solo day with newborn twins would struggle and be overwhelmed. That is hard and even someone super-capable, responsible and mature would struggle to come up with systems to manage two newborns with differing needs on day one. Plus, Padma herself would still be recovering from surgery. She needs paid support for at least a few months while her body heals up.

This is all true but I think the problem is how they made the story so preposterous. She is overwhelmed and not asking for help, instead lying about the need for help. If she is still recovering from major surgery, she would be more concerned about how she does things, and ask for help. The writers decided to dial the drama to 11,000 for some reason and it made it al worse. The character is not great, the actor is not great, the story sucks

When Conrad was talking to the fiancee about Raja, he was standing so close to her, I was yelling: personal space! I hate when people do this. I have a doctor who does this same thing, rolls her chair so close to me - even in these Covid times - that I had to say that she was too close. Super awkward. 

I used to like Devon but now, ugh! he is so full of himself. Also, I don't think grants for research work like that. It requires planning, available labs, it likely needs to pass some bureaucratic hurdles and get approval from som higher entity. It is a public hospital, the donated money would have to face more scrutiny. 

Lastly, women in TV shows can never not want children. If they do, it is like temporarily insanity because 100% of women in the planet feel the urge of motherhood as soon as they see a photo of a baby 🙄

Maybe I am from another planet because while I go "aww" when I see a baby, I also go "phew" when the babies leave

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

. Also, I don't think grants for research work like that. It requires planning, available labs, it likely needs to pass some bureaucratic hurdles and get approval from som higher entity. It is a public hospital, the donated money would have to face more scrutiny. 

If Marko is funding it himself, all Devon would need is ethics approval from the hospital that he is conducting the research at. But  Devon isn't starting it yet, he's only telling Kit.

I find Devon too Gary Stu right now.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If Marko is funding it himself, all Devon would need is ethics approval from the hospital that he is conducting the research at. But  Devon isn't starting it yet, he's only telling Kit.

I find Devon too Gary Stu right now.

Devon is not starting it but they are talking as if everything is in place for them to start whatever they are going to do. They don't have a lab, they don't have candidates, they don't have protocols, al they have is a dream and a verbal promise of a man who believes that he can find a way to stop the aging process. I can come up with dreams too.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Those dolls they used in most of the baby scenes were too obvious.

Padma, you insisted you had to be a mother, were absolutely obnoxious to everyone about it, and nothing could stop you....well, this is the reality of motherhood. I have no sympathy.

At least she's  not trying to raise them in her camper, though.

those babies were hilariously bad - I thought when AJ was looking in the cribs at the end he was going to be like "WHERE ARE THE BABIES, PADMA???"

On 10/19/2022 at 12:48 PM, statsgirl said:

So .... denial.

Cade is denying that her father may still be using drugs. Raja denied that he had cancer (although bandages have to be changed, what was he thinking when he put on a new bandage?  His fiance in denial too about the fact that he's had a bandage on for two years.

Marko in denial that he might die. And WTH is the metaformin toxicity? Those of us on metaformin whose doctor never checks for metaformin toxicity want to know.

Padma is in denial that she needs help. I hear ya' girl. I had postpartum depression too and the baby had all day colic and I had only one child.  AJ needs to hire an infant nurse to help her so she can get some time off and some sleep. (Interestingly a study of mothers who had adopted infants vs the mothers who had given birth to them found that the postpartum depression was in the adoptive mothers, probably because of sleep deprivation.) At least Devon isn't in denial that he can have both his career and Leela's babies.

I really liked the OB doctor saying that if the babies pass out from crying, they'll start breathing again.  LOL.  That's the sort of talk Padma needs

What was that conversation between Conrad and Billie about wanting to know supposed to be about? Billie already knows how he feels about her (firmly friend-zoned), and he sure isn't asking her anything about her feelings for him.

Kit/Bell and Jessica/Irving = the best couples on the show. Even if Irving is denying death.

There is such a thing as metformin toxicity - it looks like it happens if you accidentally take too much.

I was surprised at Mr. Immortality taking "low dose chemo" - my cancer requires a low dose chemo.... it's still chemo, dude!

I'm wondering who the hell prescribed the chemo for him - sure, he's a sentient bag of money, but who risked their license to prescribe it?

Wasn't AJ saying at some point that he would hire help for Padma? Or was her response "oh no I won't need it!"

I was so expecting something really bad at the end after cheerful Jessica/Irving and Kit/Bell - but we got sad post-partum Padma instead.

Yeah, can we have that pediatrician become a character written just like that?

On 10/20/2022 at 1:12 AM, Frisky Wig said:

Someone please remind me: why did Raja have a rod sticking out of the back of his neck? 

It was to stabilize his spine after the sarcoma ate some of his vertebrae

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, bros402 said:

those babies were hilariously bad...

10 hours ago, bros402 said:

I was so expecting something really bad at the end

I also was expecting something bad so when AJ looked in the cribs at those lifeless, emaciated dolls splayed out as if they were dropped from the roof, I expected him to start screaming.

I have to add that Pudma (good one, preeya) is a class A manipulator.  She crashes in on her sister's (busy) life and then announces she's "adulting", not by getting her own house, but by having a baby.  Cause she really wants one but can't get pregnant-boo hoo. Then, it can't be just any baby, it has to be her identical twin's egg because they are identical and somehow that makes it hers.  (prediction: not a spoiler, just guessing, that down this ppd story road, we will see Devon and Lila wrestling with AJ over custody of the twins since Padma is not the biological mother, she was just an incubator.)  She has shown not one ounce of empathy for the people whom she professes love.  She manipulates everyone into giving her what she thinks she wants.  I can't feel sorry for her since she made this all happen and didn't listen to anyone who tried to get her to really think it through.  Hop in your van, Pudma, and leave the kids to adults.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MollyB said:

I also was expecting something bad so when AJ looked in the cribs at those lifeless, emaciated dolls splayed out as if they were dropped from the roof, I expected him to start screaming.

I have to add that Pudma (good one, preeya) is a class A manipulator.  She crashes in on her sister's (busy) life and then announces she's "adulting", not by getting her own house, but by having a baby.  Cause she really wants one but can't get pregnant-boo hoo. Then, it can't be just any baby, it has to be her identical twin's egg because they are identical and somehow that makes it hers.  (prediction: not a spoiler, just guessing, that down this ppd story road, we will see Devon and Lila wrestling with AJ over custody of the twins since Padma is not the biological mother, she was just an incubator.)  She has shown not one ounce of empathy for the people whom she professes love.  She manipulates everyone into giving her what she thinks she wants.  I can't feel sorry for her since she made this all happen and didn't listen to anyone who tried to get her to really think it through.  Hop in your van, Pudma, and leave the kids to adults.

Those dolls were halloween episode scary, like holy shit. I hope that there isn't some kind of custody battle - since AJ has turned into a good guy since he was introduced. In Georgia, the natural mother is the woman who gave birth to the child. There'd also be ample documentation of Leela giving her eggs to Padma in the texts I am sure they sent, along with every single person in the hospital who knew. I could see a "Padma wants to get away with the kids" plot where AJ tries to get custody, and Devon and Leela support him - shattering the relationship between the sisters.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, MollyB said:

And she did all this without any visible means of support.  How exactly was she planning on being a single mother when she has no job, and no health insurance that goes along with having a job (which should not be how we do health care or health insurance, but it is what it is).  How was she planning to raise a child to 18 living in a van with no money?  But no, everyone was somehow supportive!  Gave her their eggs and sperm!  Then, it all magically worked out with AJ buying her a house and having the deep pockets for child support for the babies (and now probably for multiple nannies to be there 24/7, and pay for her to get PPD treatment). 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Padma was very short-sighted in how she would support herself and her child/children because how would she work with infant twins, but before she got pregnant she was working independently as a wellness consultant/yoga teacher. In this episode, Leyla told her that she had just come out of a yoga session but the new teacher isn't as good as Padma was.

2 hours ago, izabella said:

which should not be how we do health care or health insurance,

But how would TV medical shows come up with enough storylines if there was universal health care and child benefits?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

He probably noticed it, but wouldn't admit it to himself...and wound up deciding to move forward with Cade.

Maybe but would have been great had the show included any of it rather than shoving it in at the end of the season as though it’s this obvious thing we all should have known about. 

20 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Maybe but would have been great had the show included any of it rather than shoving it in at the end of the season as though it’s this obvious thing we all should have known about. 

Maybe the writers were just reacting to the fans...most of whom do not care for Cade and prefer to see Billie with Conrad. I'm one of them.

• Love 1

I think the plan all along was to have Conrad start by getting into a relationship with Cade and over the season pivot to Billie. More drama in the story that way but mostly I suspect that Nic and Nic/Conrad fans were going to hate the first relationship Conrad gets into after her death and it's better to vent that on someone who isn't the long game.

If that's true, the problem for me is that it isn't being written as well as it should be. They told, not showed, the connection between Conrad and Billie over Gigi, and there isn't any real conflict between Conrad and Cade other than rhe time he went to Kit about her father's possible drug addiction

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Conrad told Billie a couple episodes ago that he had trouble talking with her about moving on because she was Nick’s best friend.  He probably has been denying his feelings for her for the same reason.  The entire episode was about denial - his, his patient’s, live forever guy,  Cade’s, Billie’s, Padma’s, etc.  So now Conrad is confronting his own feelings.