Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: Wasn’t Expecting That

Bort
  • Start Topic

The attending surgeons and interns work together to solve a medical mystery when a college kid comes in with what first looks like food poisoning but has escalating and dire complications. Meanwhile, Jo spends her day off with Bailey.

Airdate: 13 October 2022

Teddy's such a bitch. Maybe don't fight with your husband and imply he doesn't know what he's doing in front of the patients? He may require supervision for legal reasons but he didn't forget how to be a doctor. I guess their time away didn't teach them anything about professionalism.

Helm's a bartender now? Since she's still around I'm guessing she'll be back eventually..?

"Why's everyone married to each other?" My sentiments exactly.

Not one of these experienced doctors suspected meningitis? I did as soon as the rash started spreading.

Poor Zola. 😢

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Did anyone else get the vibe that the college kid with meningitis and the roommate were more than just roommates?

Now that you mention it, no, I didn't.

I agree with what someone here said last week. It's absolutely ridiculous that Schmidt - whose arrogant overconfidence cost a patient his life last year - is Chief Resident.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Did anyone else get the vibe that the college kid with meningitis and the roommate were more than just roommates?

Soulmates! But no, it seemed platonic. Sad to see Luke Dunphy lose a leg, but a good twist on the season 1 (pilot?) episode with the rhythmic gymnast. 

Last episode, I saw Amelia and Adams standing in a room acting weird. I thought they were messing around too. But he has to clear it up fast, or else people will forever think he dated his aunt.

Zola brought me to tears, she's lost so much. She was already orphaned once! Then she loses her dad, her mom loves to almost die, and now she realizes Maggie could get Alzheimer's like the great Ellis?!? She deserves an hour of hugs a day until she's 100.

50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Helm's a bartender now? Since she's still around I'm guessing she'll be back eventually..?

The actress, I forget her real name but it's really cute, posted on IG that she was back on set around the same time the other cast members were posting they were back. I think she's still a regular. She should be chief resident. Schmitt should be nothing.

Is Nico (Schmidt's boo) gone?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

The actress, I forget her real name but it's really cute

Now that you mention it, I literally have never known the actress's name...

Google tells me it's Jaicy Elliot.

• Love 2

Seeing Helm reminded me that I missed her. She is a ton better than Schmidt, and she recognized that her crush on Meredith was futile and has moved past it. The actress was in a Hallmark movie where she convinced a fashion magazine to feature larger sized women. It was ridiculously Hallmark-y, but she was cute in it. I hope she is back as a doctor, it is super sad if bartending can really make her more money than being a surgeon.

I guess Adams thinks it is better for people to think he is sleeping with an attending than that he got his job by nepotism? I mean, half the hospital has slept with an attending when they were a resident (or vice versa, or both). It is kind of icky though.

Did that one intern whose name I still don't know say she was living in that van? The one who had to work with Owen and Teddy and hates them as much as I do.

I wonder if the guy who had his leg amputated will still see the marker saying "don't cut this leg" on his good leg when he wakes up?

To that idiot patient who shoved his wife's phone up his ass.....maybe next time you are mad your wife spends too much time on her phone, just smash it or throw it out the window?

• Like 6
  • Love 2

So Helm was literally in love with Meredith and it wasn't just a case of creepy hero worship? That aside, that was the most I've ever liked Helm and when she comes back to the hospital I hope she really is over her infatuation with Meredith.

And I see Grey's is also getting into the van life with that one intern living in her van. 

I wish the intern in the hijab was more than just an extra in the background. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I guess Adams thinks it is better for people to think he is sleeping with an attending than that he got his job by nepotism? I mean, half the hospital has slept with an attending when they were a resident (or vice versa, or both). It is kind of icky though.

I'm looking forward to when this blows up in his face when Amelia hears Adams is telling people that she's having sex with him. 

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

From the storyline no, but from the acting choices of the roommate, yes.   

29 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

To that idiot patient who shoved his wife's phone up his ass.....maybe next time you are mad your wife spends too much time on her phone, just smash it or throw it out the window?

Yeah, I was trying to imagine what his endgame was with that stunt.  There are some really disgusting options, but they only really make sense if he was intending to then divorce his wife, which did not seem to be the case.

I did feel bad for Zola, but I also felt like her meltdown over that particular topic should have come a few years ago unless we are supposed to believe that Zola only found out during her research project, which seems unlikely?  

Finally, what is up with Scott Speedman's hair?  It looks completely bonkers half the time depending on how he is being filmed.   

• Like 3
  • Love 2

No more Schmidt.  No, he can not be an important part of the show.  Who in production is be having sex with, because he's boring.

Too much of my least favorite characters.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

So, happy that the show is 2 for 2 this season!

Really hoping they bring back a grounded Helm this season. I’ve always liked her but they barely put any thought into her character until very recently. They put a lot of thought into Schmitt & he’s just the most annoying, useless character ever. Rooting for Helm. letting Teddy/Owen roll off my back, don’t care. 

Really liking investment in new interns. Also, Marla Gibbs!

Protect Zola at all costs. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I agree with what someone here said last week. It's absolutely ridiculous that Schmidt - whose arrogant overconfidence cost a patient his life last year - is Chief Resident.

I don't think he did but was he ever forced into mandated therapy for what happened? And for the fact that he just disappeared to his mother's basement for a month and refused to come back to work/answer calls from Webber, etc.?

Helm has always annoyed me as much as Schmidt, so I was happy to think we’d lost at least one of them. But no, of course I don’t get that lucky. Maybe she’ll stay at the bar, and I’ll just have to deal with her during Happy Hour. 

Just when I think Teddy and Owen can’t be more irritating, they crank it up just a little more. Is this supposed to be fun? Are we supposed to root for the sniping lovebirds to patch things up and go back to being merely boring? I just need it to STOP and for them to GO AWAY. 

Everything else was enjoyable. I’m really liking the new interns and the story possibilities that are opening up because of their presence. Seems to me this is a perfect opportunity to really reboot the show and get rid of the dead wood (see above).

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I am liking this new season, all but Schmidt.  He's lost his marbles, literally.  Fire him and hire the new and empowered Helm.  She seems to now have found some priorities.  

I like Adams too.  Even though he doesn't have the "think on his feet" comebacks needed to counteract the other interns thinking he is sleeping with Amelia.  

I am peeved that we are only getting EP for 8 episodes because I am really liking her so far too.  

Poor Zola.  What a horrible thing to go through so young.  She needs her Mum around more and same with Maggie.  Maybe that is why Meredith won't  be in as many. 

I have to say, I love Bailey's hair.  I think she wants back in too, but doesn't know how to say it, even though she has done many other projects and is planting "seeds".

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I don’t like the intern who is constantly yelling at Linc, thinking he is in love with her. I also like Owen but can’t stand Teddy who seems miserable 24/7. I’ve also come to the sad conclusion that I don’t think Ellen Pompeo can really act-she just never shows emotion. Hi 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I like Adams too.  Even though he doesn't have the "think on his feet" comebacks needed to counteract the other interns thinking he is sleeping with Amelia.  

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "She's not my lover, she's my aunt." "You're sleeping with your aunt?!" "No!!!" scene.

5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t like the intern who is constantly yelling at Linc, thinking he is in love with her.

Yeah, that's already old. "Are you flirting with me?" in the OR. It doesn't make her look good. (Though the smiley face on the leg was kind of inappropriate and I hope the writing is cleaned off before the Luke Dunphy wakes up and sees it.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I really think the show should have dropped a few more of the attendings. Definitely Owen and Teddy, they are toxic. Probably Jo as well. And maybe even Bailey. The whole mommy subplot was pointless IMO. The problem here is that I need imdb.com to identify the new interns. Aside from Amelia's nephew and Griffin, the show hasn't done a good job introducing and establishing them. I still don't know their names for the most part. We need to spend more time with them and less with the oldsters.

Also, who shoves a phone up their ass because they're mad somebody is on it so often? Now, if he had shoved it up HER ass, sure maybe. But his own? That makes it seem like he's got some sort of weird fetish. Which I don't even want to think about.

I agree with what someone here said last week. It's absolutely ridiculous that Schmidt - whose arrogant overconfidence cost a patient his life last year - is Chief Resident.

Another one they should have dropped, I don't get why the show is so devoted to this character. I think they think he's the "new George" but I don't see it. George was competent, this kid is a total screw-up. Is there some vocal Schmitt fan base out there I don't know about? I don't know anybody who can stand this character.

I hope she is back as a doctor, it is super sad if bartending can really make her more money than being a surgeon.

She said she made 55K as a resident. I know rents are high in Seattle but 55K is nothing to sneeze at. Especially since the expectation is that you will eventually make a lot more when you finish your residency. Bartending, on the other hand, isn't upwardly mobile.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I don't think he did but was he ever forced into mandated therapy for what happened? And for the fact that he just disappeared to his mother's basement for a month and refused to come back to work/answer calls from Webber, etc.?

It was his fault. He totally lost it but yeah, he's chief resident now.

Okay, so regarding Schmitt and his obvious weight gain (no shaming). They made a point of mention how busy he is, that he's running around and doesn't have time to eat. Is the weight a prop? Are they going to show him losing weight because they're working him so hard, gradually un-padding him as they go? Because mentioning that he's not eating constantly, while the camera shows that he HAS been eating (perhaps from stress)? 

I only ask because Jake Borelli's instagram showed a picture from the shoulders up this summer, and he made a comment:  

jake.borelli: "Started shooting Season 19 yesterday ;) Can’t show you any of the pics yet (you’ll see why)… so here’s a 🐵 face. #greysanatomy"

And his current pictures on Instagram seem like his ordinary weight.

Zola's panic attack. Could this be the explanation we're going to get for Mere only being in half the episodes this season? She stays home to care for her daughter's mental health? 

I never made the Luke Dunphy connection until I came over here. Duh!

Guy with phone up his ass. Memories of guy swallowing his girlfriend's keys and Ever Carradine (right?) being a complete bitch that Izzie had to finally tell to GTFO.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Zola's panic attack. Could this be the explanation we're going to get for Mere only being in half the episodes this season? She stays home to care for her daughter's mental health? 

Wait. What? Ellen Pompeo is only going to be in half the eps this season?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I never made the Luke Dunphy connection until I came over here. Duh!

When they first showed him I was like, 'is that...?" "It is!"

(Then I came here and someone else referred to him as Luke Dunphy.)

They’re definitely trying to create something between Linc and Adelaide Kanes intern.

I hate myself for saying this but I’m actually enjoying Owen and Teddy. I like the comedy of it. As soon as It starts getting serious and dramatic I’ll be back to hating them again.

Also, if I didn’t know anything about Schmidt and had never seen the show before so could just accept him as chief resident I think I’d enjoy him in that role as again it’s funny.

But I have seen the show  and therefore can’t take him seriously whatsoever. 

Baileys whinging about how she tried to implement all Nicks new ideas is annoying. She’s a strong voice and was chief of surgery. She wasn’t successful in her role as chief and it’s annoying she blames everyone else for that rather than looking at things she could have done better.

Jo seems like she’s drawn the short straw for having to sledgehammer down whatever current events are prominent in the US this season.

I like Meredith as chief. i prefer her to Bailey. She seems calmer. Less emotional.

There actuslly a weird chemistry between Amelia and her nephew. Is she still with Kai? 

Maggie and Winston are so boring. I just do not care about that relationship at all.

all in all another good episode.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 4
18 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did that one intern whose name I still don't know say she was living in that van? The one who had to work with Owen and Teddy and hates them as much as I do.

Mika Yasuda. Or Yasura. They're pronounced almost the same. But yeah, she tricked out the van. Maybe reminiscent of the trailer Derek/Addison/Alex/Izzie/Owen lived in?

I only caught her first name because it's my sister's first name.

Don't know the name of Linc's girl, but I think she got to do two surgeries in 2 episodes already.

Agreed, they saved Zola's meltdown for a time when Ellen Pompeo wanted to be on screen less. Not a terrible reason to pause work for a while.

Guess Griffin's grandma (Marla Gibbs) is going to be our Alzheimer's storyline. 

19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Google tells me it's Jaicy Elliot.

Such a cute name, Jaicy! 

I think Luke being Amelia and Meredith's nephew has to be the worst kept secret in the hospital already, but people are too dumb to figure it out.  Maggie knows, right?  Amelia invited Luke to Sunday dinner when Maggie cooks.  So Winston has to know.  Then there's Richard who should know just by what Luke said in the operating room.  And Nick is going to find out real soon - probably at Sunday dinner, if not beforehand when Luke takes Amelia up on the offer of a place to stay and Nick sees him in the morning.

How is this not going to backfire?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think Luke being Amelia and Meredith's nephew has to be the worst kept secret in the hospital already, but people are too dumb to figure it out.  Maggie knows, right?  Amelia invited Luke to Sunday dinner when Maggie cooks.  So Winston has to know.  Then there's Richard who should know just by what Luke said in the operating room.  And Nick is going to find out real soon - probably at Sunday dinner, if not beforehand when Luke takes Amelia up on the offer of a place to stay and Nick sees him in the morning.

How is this not going to backfire?

And then Addison is showing up next week to work with the interns - she must know who he is too.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I wish I could find the humor on Teddy and Owen all that anger being blown all over patients and interns is not funny to me. Buck it up and be professional at work. 

I would be complaining to HR about a hostile work environment. No one should have to tolerate that, even an intern.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 10/13/2022 at 10:52 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Soulmates! But no, it seemed platonic. Sad to see Luke Dunphy lose a leg, but a good twist on the season 1 (pilot?) episode with the rhythmic gymnast. 

Last episode, I saw Amelia and Adams standing in a room acting weird. I thought they were messing around too. But he has to clear it up fast, or else people will forever think he dated his aunt.

Zola brought me to tears, she's lost so much. She was already orphaned once! Then she loses her dad, her mom loves to almost die, and now she realizes Maggie could get Alzheimer's like the great Ellis?!? She deserves an hour of hugs a day until she's 100.

The actress, I forget her real name but it's really cute, posted on IG that she was back on set around the same time the other cast members were posting they were back. I think she's still a regular. She should be chief resident. Schmitt should be nothing.

Is Nico (Schmidt's boo) gone?

The roommates genuinely seemed like just roomies to me. I think the guy was a little emotional because he was so socially awkward and his roommate really helped. I never got a romance vibe.

Helm really did have a crush on Grey. The thing was she knew it was a crush but sometimes it takes a minute to outgrown that crush. That said, since Helms is back, please give her an actual storyline. Let her go on dates. Are she & Schmitt still living in Jo's old apartment? 

I think Zola's at the age where she can truly comprehend what Ellis having Alzheimer's means. Compounded with the losses she has already experienced,  I can definitely see it hitting her hard.

In the beginning I liked Nico/Schmitt, but as time went on they basically made Nico a meat stick for Schimtt.  The constant break ups and getting back together and yet neither one shows a lick of personal growth. Nico's whole family backstory dropped and unresolved. Nico asking Schmitt to move in with him dropped so that he can move in with Helm. If Nico is back, pair him with someone else. I'm over Schmico.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:37 PM, Mirabelle said:

So Helm was literally in love with Meredith and it wasn't just a case of creepy hero worship? That aside, that was the most I've ever liked Helm and when she comes back to the hospital I hope she really is over her infatuation with Meredith.

Yes Helm was indeed infatuated with Meredith. It's nice to see the character even stating it. I just hope they can show her moving on and actually having a normal dating life.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:25 PM, taanja said:

Wait. What? Ellen Pompeo is only going to be in half the eps this season?

She's in a new series on Hulu. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I would be complaining to HR about a hostile work environment. No one should have to tolerate that, even an intern.

The Teddy & Owen plot was stupid. You would have thought they would have taken into consideration Owen couldn't actually teach in the ER under the circumstances of his probation. He should have been put in a lecture/classroom status from jump. 

Speaking of Owen. Did they jettison Megan & Farouk along with the other surgical residents?

• Like 3

Schmidt sucks so bad. The show needs to stop trying to make him happen he’s the worst. I have to FF most times when he’s on

Didn’t miss the blonde girl who was obsessed with Meredith who works at the bar now. Go away again pls.

Do the writers think Teddy and Owen constantly fighting is fun to watch. Because it’s not and just makes me hate them even more then I already do. I don’t know why they are even together.

I’m liking Adams and liking his interactions with Amelia. I knew they would think he’s sleeping with Amelia tho,

Meredith is way better this season, I’m liking her as chief. I want her and Nick together and to stay together. I actually like them together. The first person I’ve liked her with since Derek died.

I don’t like Jules. She seems annoying and I don’t know what her issue is with Linc and why she’s being such a jerk to him. I thought it was cute wgat he wrote on the legs.

Bailey meh. She better not come back and be chief again. She can come back I guess but just not chief. I don’t care about her and Jo’s play dates either.

Maggie and Winston are cute.

I can’t remember the characters name but the guy who was on Gled’s character kind of annoys me so far.

Aw poor Zola that made me tear up. 

Edited by Marley
  • Like 1
On 10/14/2022 at 9:39 PM, tomsmom said:

I knew it was meningitis as soon as he got a rash, how did they not know?? Then there’s….

Teddy & Owen

Maggie & Winston

Sometimes I wanna shove this show up my ass. 

I also knew it was meningitis right away. And I figured immediately that the phone was up the guy's ass. So they need to hire me! (No, I am not a doctor.)

I could see them *maybe* assuming that he'd been vaccinated against meningitis. But vaccines aren't 100%, so they still should have looked into it once the rash appeared. And definitely suspected it once the leg was looking gangrenous. If nothing else, if he had a mysterious rash and they didn't know the cause, shouldn't they have put him in isolation? And I guess the roommate, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2022 at 7:49 PM, JeanJean said:

I snorted when he told the interns not to drop anything inside a patient… if they only knew!

Don’t care if Hellmouth comes back to the hospital. She looks a lot happier bartending anyway.

LOL’d at “Why is everyone married here?” Um, because it’s Grey-Sloan. Stay out of the elevators or it will happen to you, too.

Poor Zola, convinced that both Meredith and Maggie will definitely get Alzheimer’s and die. She didn’t do all her research. First off, they only got half their genes from Ellis. According to alz.org, “We all inherit a copy of some form of APOE from each parent. Those who inherit one copy of APOE-e4 from their mother or father have an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's. Those who inherit two copies from their mother and father have an even higher risk, but not a certainty.” (emphasis mine)

Hey Mary, Queen of Scots in Anachronistic Prom Dresses… maybe don’t give everyone a stuffed animal and then expect them to pay for it. RUDE.

And Writers: PLEASE make Teddy and Owen move to Germany!

How bad would it suck to go to the ER vomiting, pass out and eventually wake up to find half your leg gone?!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2022 at 10:33 PM, KaveDweller said:

I wonder if the guy who had his leg amputated will still see the marker saying "don't cut this leg" on his good leg when he wakes up?

Considering how many "wrong" amputations take place in this country, when I go for my amputation (I'm a diabetic in a family of diabetics, it'll happen at some point), I want every single part of my body written on.  Not this leg.  Not this arm.  Not this eye.  Not this shoulder.  I want it all marked out.  I've even seen stories about the patients themselves marking body parts "Leave this leg alone."  I'm all for it.

Way back in the 70s on Trapper John, Gregory Harrison's character (can't remember the name) lived in an RV in the parking lot.  It's not a new idea.   I hate character having to put up with Teddy and Owen though.  Nobody deserves that.  Not the intern, not the other medical personnel and certainly not the patients.  Kill them both in a fire and be done with it.

• Love 5

As someone with a family member who recently had minor leg surgery, I can tell you they do indeed mark the correct leg.  In our case, they used a smiley face, but I thought that was just because she is a child.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Regarding marking limbs for amputation - I would be worried that the markings would be ambiguous.  Like - "X" means "not this one"?  Or "X marks the spot, cut away"?  Smiley-face means "good to go" or "good to keep"?  Or the "not" would get rubbed off or covered by something. 

I'll just have to assume that's covered in medical school.

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

It wasn’t an amputation but my mom had reconstructive surgery during her cancer treatment and they used a section of her fibia. They for sure marked each one. And they explained to her it was standard procedure to help avoid mistake. I think there may have even been a smiley face on this one. There was for sure an x on “not this one”

• Love 3

I want to say that I saw a news segment, but it may have been a fictional show, where they gave the marker to the teenage girl to mark her correct leg herself.  She ended up then writing funny things all over body, like on her arm she wrote "this is not a leg" and stuff like that.  She had someone else write on her back something like "why are you even looking here? roll me back over."  I thought it was funny as an attempt to make the best of a bad situation.

• LOL 5
On 10/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, izabella said:

As someone with a family member who recently had minor leg surgery, I can tell you they do indeed mark the correct leg.  In our case, they used a smiley face, but I thought that was just because she is a child.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I want to say that I saw a news segment, but it may have been a fictional show, where they gave the marker to the teenage girl to mark her correct leg herself.  She ended up then writing funny things all over body, like on her arm she wrote "this is not a leg" and stuff like that.  She had someone else write on her back something like "why are you even looking here? roll me back over."  I thought it was funny as an attempt to make the best of a bad situation.

I think it's fine if the patient knows what's happening and/or if they get to do the marking themselves, but this poor guy went to the hospital thinking he had food poisoning and is going to wake up missing half his leg, with no memory of what happened in between. I feel like waking up in that situation to find smiley faces drawn on the leg you have left might be a bit much. (I do think marking them is a good idea, though.)

• Like 3
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I think it's fine if the patient knows what's happening and/or if they get to do the marking themselves, but this poor guy went to the hospital thinking he had food poisoning and is going to wake up missing half his leg, with no memory of what happened in between. I feel like waking up in that situation to find smiley faces drawn on the leg you have left might be a bit much. (I do think marking them is a good idea, though.)

Marking patients has been mandatory for a while since there have been numerous horror stories of the wrong leg/kidney/whatever being removed and then the doctors have to back in the next day and do the right one.  

• Thanks 1