Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Green Council

• Start Topic

Rhaenys makes a big bad ass grand entrance and killing lots of civilians while doing it but who cares, right?

She has a shot at stopping this in its tracks. Any thoughts on why she didn't do it?

• Like 4
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Im guessing that it was basically alicent fighting with Otto to get to Aegon first.

I kind of figured- I think she’s trying to still “save” Aegon so to speak so he’ll be a good king and better husband/person but it’s like-lady that ship has sailed 

perhaps if you hadn’t been fighting with Rheanerya when he was younger and plotted so much for their downfall your kids would not have turned out this way 

I can’t believe I’m saying this -but I’m not hating the religious version of Alicent 

but I’m sure that’ll change 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

That's an awkward and random moment to refer to a beast under the boards.

I had a feeling the beast under the boards meant a dragon.  But I had no clue it would erupt when and where it did.  Talk about a penultimate moment.  It literally made me sit up from where I was laying on the sofa.  I didn't want to miss one nanosecond of that interaction!

Edited by go4luca
missing word
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I had a feeling the beast under the boards meant a dragon.  But I had no clue would erupt when and where it did.

I didn't. I had no clue because I can't understand why would she refer to a dragon in that moment. It seems very random unless I'm missing something.

That moment where Meleys let out that long breath and I, along with everyone else in the Sept, held my breath was just so beautifully done. 

As was the foreboding piano music in the background throughout much of the episode, sounding the chords of dread.

How is there only one episode left?

• Like 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I didn't. I had no clue because I can't understand why would she refer to a dragon in that moment. It seems very random unless I'm missing something.

Isn't it always random? She just mumbles prophecies because they're in her head, almost always when they're meaningless in context.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

She's not lying, but she is mistaken.

Except Alicent believes it to be true and Criston takes her word as gospel. He doesn't give a crap about Otto or any of those other men, he is all ride-or-die for her given she saved him as his lowest point.

So to not believe what she is saying is to call her a liar. She might have been mistaken, and Beesbury was ultimately right, but Criston is going to trust what she tells him as being the truth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Well, Helaena just calls 'em like she sees 'em, doesn't she?

I did actually think that Aegon was the beast under the boards when they found him hiding under that altar in the sept.  But a ginormous dragon bursting up from below makes more sense.

• Wink 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

That moment where Meleys let out that long breath and I, along with everyone else in the Sept, held my breath was just so beautifully done. 

As was the foreboding piano music in the background throughout much of the episode, sounding the chords of dread.

How is there only one episode left?

I hope they don't make us wait too long for a season 2. I would like to not wait until my nonexistent grandchildren are going off to college like we had to for season 8 of GoT.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
Just now, AntFTW said:

I hope they don't make us wait too long for a season 2. I would like to not wait until my nonexistent grandchildren are going off to college like we had to for season 8 of GoT.

next week is the last new episode till at least 2024.

• Sad 12
Just now, Dac22 said:

Except Alicent believes it to be true and Criston takes her word as gospel. He doesn't give a crap about Otto or any of those other men, he is all ride-or-die for her given she saved him as his lowest point.

So to not believe what she is saying is to call her a liar. She might have been mistaken, and Beesbury was ultimately right, but Criston is going to trust what she tells him as being the truth.

So I think we're not actually disagreeing. I'm not saying there's no way one could get "Alicent is a liar" out of what was going on. I'm disagreeing that Cristen's reaction was like Daemon's beheading. Daemon was considering everything in the situation. Cristen, as you say, didn't care about anything but making a big gesture over his platonic girlfriend.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Err.  Mid 24 at the earliest. It takes 10 months to film + post-production.  They are supposed to start filming season 2 in March.

12 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I was so glad to see Rhaenys and Meleys, because most of these mf'ers were annoying me tonight.  

Also notice she was wearing armor??

ETA: Beast under the boards could be the dragon but Meleys was in the dragon pit where dragons are usually kept or Aegon who was also hidden under some boards?

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Daemon was considering everything in the situation. 

I think Daemon was just waiting for Viserys to provide him a chance, and once he did, he acted even though the punishment was more severe than what Viserys said it would be.

That Daemon didn't like that Vaemond was standing up to his wife/niece & brother, so he was just chomping at the bit. But I do think it is open to interpretation. 

Just now, Dac22 said:

I think Daemon was just waiting for Viserys to provide him a chance, and once he did, he acted even though the punishment was more severe than what Viserys said it would be.

That Daemon didn't like that Vaemond was standing up to his wife/niece & brother, so he was just chomping at the bit. But I do think it is open to interpretation. 

I doubt Daemon gave a shit what vaemond said and rhaenyra, wasnt the first time Vaemond said such things in front of daemon, he was only worried about the fact that Vaemonds words were a threat to the boys

• Like 1
Just now, Dac22 said:

I can agree with that--but "waiting for Viserys to provide him a chance" would fit with him not acting impulsively. Cristen maybe didn't even mean to kill in this ep.

• Love 2

I’m sure that Alicent had set up her onlyfans account with Larys quite a while ago. They had the whole thing down to a science. He doesn’t give her all that info for nothing. 
Okay, show, we already knew that Aegon was unfit to be king, but now he’s revealed to be running his own Hunger Games in Flea Bottom? At least he knew he was unfit. But now he’s had a taste of adulation, he’s all in. Of course, he was almost a toasted marshmallow…but instead he got a good dose of dragon’s breath, which I imagine doesn’t smell like lilacs.

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

next week is the last new episode till at least 2024.

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Olivia Cooke did some good acting in that scene with Larys. You could tell how grossed out she was. It probably made her nostalgic for sex with Viserys.

Please someone take care of Alicent's needs. 

310331608_463912282376134_10740795650674

She can take care of her own needs. 

33 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Rhaenys makes a big bad ass grand entrance and killing lots of civilians while doing it but who cares, right?

Well  that is the subtext we're getting.  NONE of the contenders for the throne care about the people.  

14 minutes ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Ser Criston's only gotten laid once in his life, right?

Nah , during the Stag hunt episode ,   He told Rhaenyra he had lovers before he took his vows

4 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

She can take care of her own needs. 

Usually better with a friend. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

Since the Council (minus Alicent and Beesbury) had this usurpation planned, it didn't really matter what Vicerys wanted. They were always going to install Aegon as king, if at all feasible. Vicerys' last words were just a justification for Alicent, and a convenient excuse for the rest of the council to tell to the rest of the world.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

I kind of hated this episode.  Too many smart people doing dumb things.  Aegon and Aemond openly wrestling in the streets with a sword fight going on in the background.  I know the show has kept it's thumb on the scale for Rhaenyra, but Alicent is the worst.  "I want my son to be King, but not like that!".  Spare me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Cristen maybe didn't even mean to kill in this ep.

2 minutes ago, Dac22 said:

Yeah, Criston's method wasn't exactly what one would think of if death had been the plan.

Still, I'm not sure he's a good fit to work at a nursing home.

• Like 2
  • LOL 13
1 minute ago, AntFTW said:

Since the Council (minus Alicent and Beesbury) had this usurpation planned, it didn't really matter what Vicerys wanted, they were always going to do install Aegon as king, if at all feasible. Vicerys' last words were just a justification for Alicent, and a convenient excuse for the rest of the council to say to the rest of the world.

Since I dont imagine otto talks to his grandkids, Alicent had to be in on that, otherwise why was Aemond referring to Helena as Aegons queen two episodes/six years ago?  This writing is throwing me off.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Since I dont imagine otto talks to his grandkids, Alicent had to be in on that, otherwise why was Aemond referring to Helena as Aegons queen two episodes/six years ago?  This writing is throwing me off.

I imagine that she was all in on getting Aegon on the throne, but I don't think she was in the loop on the usurping plan.

I assumed Alicent's plan was going the formal route of Aegon gaining Vicerys' favor over Rhaenrya and Vicerys formally naming Aegon as heir. Usurping the throne from Rhaenyra was plan B if Vicerys never named Aegon as heir. I don't think Alicent was in on plan B but she talks herself into it by believing Vicerys wanted Aegon as a successor.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

I know the show has kept it's thumb on the scale for Rhaenyra, but Alicent is the worst.  "I want my son to be King, but not like that!".  Spare me.

The show trying to juggle making Alicent as sympathetic as possible while staying true to the story isn't really feasible in my opinion unless they essentially want to make her a nothing character. 

There's just no way to accomplish what she wants peacefully so having her argue for peace while her supporters do all the dirty work simply renders her character superfluous beyond wanting viewers to feel sorry for her.

Edited by Dac22
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

"So...that's a no on bending the knee then?" 

-Alicent, probably. 

Rhaenys sure does know how to make an entrance! That was pretty awesome, but damn it, I was hoping she would just DRACARYS everyone right on the stage, except for Helena, who already saw this coming. Its dirty business, but would have probably ended up saving the realm a whole lot of death and destruction in the long run with what is coming. 

I guess the lesson Ser Cole has learned is that every time he beats someone to death, he gets a promotion. Can that asshole meet the wrong side of a dragon soon?

• Like 3
  • Fire 5
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

I took this to mean that she didn’t realize that Otto had made plans to have Rhaenyra and her kids killed and to take the crown through violent means. It seems she thought they would be able to basically force Rhaenyra to give up her claim by having the kids proclaimed bastards or that eventually even Viserys would step in. Apparently Viserys wasn’t the only one willfully ignorant. Alicent seemed so worry about what Rhaenyra would have to do to Alicent’s kids to become queen that she didn’t realize the same applied the other way. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ybrik said:

Apparently Viserys wasn’t the only one willfully ignorant. Alicent seemed so worry about what Rhaenyra would have to do to Alicent’s kids to become queen that she didn’t realize the same applied the other way. 

This.

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

It's even better as one of the showrunners called it her 'heroic moment'.

The lesson is if you want to kill someone as a character, do it to a lot of innocent civilians rather than a named character standing against you.

Edited by Dac22
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3