Type keyword(s) to search

Magpie Murders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A beguiling murder mystery with a solution that will both astonish and shock viewers, the plot of Magpie Murders revolves around the character Susan Ryeland, an editor who is given an unfinished manuscript of author Alan Conway’s latest novel, but has little idea it will change her life.

Adapted from Anthony Horowitz’s bestselling mystery by the author himself, Magpie Murders stars Lesley Manville (World on Fire, Phantom Thread, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris) as editor turned amateur sleuth Susan Ryeland and Tim McMullan (Patrick Melrose, Foyle’s War) as world-famous detective Atticus Pünd.

Magpie Murders premieres Sunday, October 16 at 9/8c on MASTERPIECE on PBS.

Well, I enjoyed the first episode. Besides wanting to be Susan Ryland in my next life, I enjoyed the plot twisting between the book-within-the-book plot and the "real" plot.  I remember reading and enjoying the book a few years ago, but mercifully, I do not recall the conclusion, so I'm really enjoying the mystery. 

No one else watched?  Leslie Manville was great (all the actors were). 

I loved the sequence of scenes showing Alan Conway trying to write. LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Well, I enjoyed the first episode. Besides wanting to be Susan Ryland in my next life, I enjoyed the plot twisting between the book-within-the-book plot and the "real" plot.  I remember reading and enjoying the book a few years ago, but mercifully, I do not recall the conclusion, so I'm really enjoying the mystery. 

No one else watched?  Leslie Manville was great (all the actors were). 

I loved the sequence of scenes showing Alan Conway trying to write. LOL. 

We watched it, but I wasn’t paying close enough attention during the first 15 minutes and got a bit confused. May have to rewatch. We did like it-I especially liked the concept of actors playing different roles in each story.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I liked it! I read the book and do remember the end, but not quite how they get there. I thought the book within a book was pretty clever when I read it, and it's working well on screen too. 

Yes, it's working quite well, and Lesley Manville is perfectly cast.

• Love 5

I liked it a lot, especially the humor, and Lesley Manville really is perfect.  I had read the book a while ago and had no trouble following along.   husband, though, didn't the read the book, did not pay too much attention and had a bit of a problem.

Edited by mjc570
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Rickster said:

We watched it, but I wasn’t paying close enough attention during the first 15 minutes and got a bit confused. May have to rewatch. We did like it-I especially liked the concept of actors playing different roles in each story.

The Nero Wolfe Mysteries (I know, years ago, I'm old) did the same thing, very effectively too.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I had seen the teasers and mistakenly thought this was going to be another one of the cutesy period mysteries like Father Brown (which I hate), so I'm glad I watched. It was a pretty engrossing premise, and the modern scenes saved it from twee-ness.

• Love 2

I found this to be entirely too contrived and, well, the word which came to mind is "arch" although I'm not sure if that's entirely what I mean.  I might enjoy the mystery and will give it another couple of episodes but in the first one, I found the device of showing the mystery in the book extremely annoying, the characters not particularly interesting and the writing somewhat tedious.  In fact, the only thing I actually enjoyed was that both Susan's boyfriend and Alan were watching the Arsenal-Man U match.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2022 at 6:38 PM, Jenniferbug said:

I liked it! I read the book and do remember the end, but not quite how they get there. I thought the book within a book was pretty clever when I read it, and it's working well on screen too. 

My husband and I both read the book too and I think I remember some of the ending but not why/how.

Finally watched this on the PBS website last night, and I thought it was enjoyable. I can't remember a Masterpiece Mysteries triple header where I liked all three series before, so yay!

I am both amused and slightly disturbed by the fact that Conleth Hill and Matthew Beard play father and son on Vienna Blood and lovers here...

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Finally watched this on the PBS website last night, and I thought it was enjoyable. I can't remember a Masterpiece Mysteries triple header where I liked all three series before, so yay!

I am both amused and slightly disturbed by the fact that Conleth Hill and Matthew Beard play father and son on Vienna Blood and lovers here...

Good grief.  I recognized Matthew Beard right away from Vienna Blood (and kept wondering if there will be another season), but didn't put Conleth Hill as they man who played his father.  Just thought he looked familiar.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Okay, this is a great show!!!! I really enjoyed this second episode where Susan slowly goes from editor looking for missing pages to sleuth trying to solve a murder. I even liked Atticus Pund talking directly to her, even though that is not possible.  All of the actors are so great!!! I'm really looking forward to the next episode. 

☠️=good murder mystery

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
On 10/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, dargosmydaddy said:

I can't remember a Masterpiece Mysteries triple header where I liked all three series before, so yay!

It is even better than the Grantchester, Call the Midwife Sunday nights.

I love shows that reveal a little at a time. It's especially interesting when we are thrown a bone and then left hanging. What the heck was Andreas doing in Khan's (the solicitor's) office???? Did anyone see what the file and/or the check said?

Am I getting this straight? Alan used to be a teacher. He taught Susan's sister's children. He worked with Andreas. Susan's father is in the area. Does that mean that Susan is from that area? Did she know Alan before he became an author and before she was his editor? Did I miss that?

Spoiler

I'm a compulsive imdb looker-upper.  "Why does she look familiar? . . . Is he the one who was on . . . ?" I couldn't figure out why Charles was so familiar (he was on two Father Brown's) so I looked him up. I looked him up through Magpie Murders. Lorcan Cranitch who plays Sir Magnus Pye is also listed as "Max Ryeland." I wonder if that's Susan's father  whom she doesn't want to see. BTW - I used the imdb app on my phone. It lists the alternate names for the characters. Looking at imdb on my computer doesn't seem to do that.

Edited by ShelleySue
clarification
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, anniebird said:

I think it's funny that Lesley Manville and Claire Rushbrook, who look nothing alike, are playing sisters for the 2nd time this year (other one is Sherwood.)

And Dorothy Atkinson (Lady Frances Pye) played her sister-in-law in "Mum."   

• Like 1

It took me a minute to realize that MAGnus PYE (the murder victim in the book) = Magpie.

Is naming Pünd's sidekick "Fraser" a nod to Hugh Fraser, who played Poirot's sidekick (Hastings) on so many "Poirot" episodes?

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

It is even better than the Grantchester, Call the Midwife Sunday nights.

I love shows that reveal a little at a time. It's especially interesting when we are thrown a bone and then left hanging. What the heck was Andreas doing in Khan's (the solicitor's) office???? Did anyone see what the file and/or the check said?

Am I getting this straight? Alan used to be a teacher. He taught Susan's sister's children. He worked with Andreas. Susan's father is in the area. Does that mean that Susan is from that area? Did she know Alan before he became an author and before she was his editor? Did I miss that?

Reveal spoiler

I'm a compulsive imdb looker-upper.  "Why does she look familiar? . . . Is he the one who was on . . . ?" I couldn't figure out why Charles was so familiar (he was on two Father Brown's) so I looked him up. I looked him up through Magpie Murders. Lorcan Cranitch who plays Sir Magnus Pye is also listed as "Max Ryeland." I wonder if that's Susan's father  whom she doesn't want to see. BTW - I used the imdb app on my phone. It lists the alternate names for the characters. Looking at imdb on my computer doesn't seem to do that.

You must really be ShelleySue, the Sleuth.

12 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

You must really be ShelleySue, the Sleuth.

No detective work, merely a horrible memory. If I had the memory of my youth I never would have had to see why the actor looked so familiar. I would have known as soon as I saw his face.

13 hours ago, J-Man said:

It took me a minute to realize that MAGnus PYE (the murder victim in the book) = Magpie.

Is naming Pünd's sidekick "Fraser" a nod to Hugh Fraser, who played Poirot's sidekick (Hastings) on so many "Poirot" episodes?

Brilliant!!!!

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

In the solicitor’s office, the envelope had Andreas’ name with the solicitor as the return address. The check looked like it was written for around 130,000 pounds, I think. Could not read anything on the page clipped to the check.

I was a bit puzzled that Susan seemed to recognize who most of the characters in the books were modeled after. I wouldn’t have thought it was that apparent.

11 hours ago, Rickster said:

I was a bit puzzled that Susan seemed to recognize who most of the characters in the books were modeled after. I wouldn’t have thought it was that apparent.

Some of them shared first names like James, Conway's boyfriend and Pund's assistant.  Others had very similar names like Clare, Conway's sister, and Clarissa, Pye's sister.  Once Susan saw two parallels, she sought out more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The IMDB cast list may be helpful for sorting out which characters are played by the same actor.  It also notes that there are six episodes.  I'm enjoying this series a lot, but I'm glad I can watch each episode more than once (via rebroadcasts and the PBS site).

• Applause 1
On 10/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, sas616 said:

Good grief.  I recognized Matthew Beard right away from Vienna Blood (and kept wondering if there will be another season), but didn't put Conleth Hill as they man who played his father

LOL … (so glad VB has S3)

And I just finished my re-watch of the last Foyle’s War, Elise & both Tim McMullan & Conleth Hill show up together!

Pretty much anything Anthony Horowitz does is worthwhile, so it was good to catch an interview with him at the end of 1st episode.

Will continue to watch as it is refreshingly different (even if idea/versions have been done in the past, ie, protagonist in fictional storylines). The show so far is astute, brisk & delightful in the way it bridges the two eras - and the enjoyable acting by its wonderful cast. 

Edited by swissair100
  • Love 4

I wish Susan would mention the possibility that she could turn down the CEO job, remain an editor, and do much of the work from Crete, going back to England when necessary.  Presumably Andreas does not desperately need her to work at the hotel.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Driad said:

I wish Susan would mention the possibility that she could turn down the CEO job, remain an editor, and do much of the work from Crete, going back to England when necessary.  Presumably Andreas does not desperately need her to work at the hotel.

I thought Susan did raise the possibility of remaining an editor, and was shot down by the acquirers (can't remember who they represent), who noted that it would be up to the new CEO.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Driad said:

The entire "deal" with the new owners depends on the back list, the new book Magpie Murders, which they do not have a complete copy of, and her staying on as CEO. Any one of those things not happening would possibly tank the deal with the new owners. She doesn't have that much of a choice at the moment. If Alan hadn't died, if they had the full manuscript, they would be in a better position to counter the offer. 

Andreas knew Alan from when they taught together. It's not unlikely that they would know and use the same lawyer for their business dealings. 

• Love 3

I love Anothony Horowitz’s books so I’m enjoying this show. Even though I read the book, I don’t remember all of the details so I am still paying close attention. The show is handling the “mystery within the mystery” aspect quite well.

Lesley Manville is terrific. I love her conversations with Atticus Pünd. 

• Love 8

A couple of nitpicks: I'm not sure if we've been told about the age difference between Susan and Andreas. IRL, it's 15 yrs (66 vs.51) and to me, they both look their ages. IMO, her reluctance to leave her career and move to Crete is perfectly understandable just because she's clearly a lot older- why would she want to be running a resort at that age, even if the work interested her? It also hasn't been explained how long it's taken for Andreas to get sick of his job, or how much Susan knew about his longing to return to Crete (she seemed gob-smacked). This whole situation just seems peculiar to me and is making me suspicious of Andreas' integrity and motives. 

Also if the sister was in such a sweat to get Susan to Daddy's deathbed, why didn't she text her? I suppose she realizes Susan won't want to see him, but what if Susan had softened and the father died while sis was trying to get her on the phone? Seemed kind of dumb to me.

Edited by sempervivum
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

As dubbel zout said above, the segues are just grand when a scene shifts from Pund tImes to contemporary times. Too clever by half. One that comes to mind from last night is after Pund has departed from his  interview with the dead housekeeper's son and dil and those 2 are standing by a window discussing the boy who drowned. There is a sound noticeable enough to make the dil raises her head to listen and then without a hitch we have o-so-smoothly shifted to Susan where the sound (was it a bell or a clink?) seems to have originated. Boyoboy that's fun. I'm going to watch it again just to revisit all those delightful shifts in time. Btw, I too read the book (and its sequel) but have no recollection of the guilty party. For once, aging is in my favor.

• Applause 1
  • Love 8

I'm enjoying this show - love all the actors in it and also enjoying the story.  But could somebody please tell me what is going on with Atticus Pund's face?  It's like he never blinks or something.   There is a weirdness to his eyes.  Is that what this actor normally looks like or did something happen to Pund in the concentration camp and that's why he looks like that?

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Parties, plural.  Two mysteries in one!  Who killed Magnus Pye and Who killed Alan Conway?

My question is requesting half of a spoiler for anyone who has already seen all episodes or has read the book.

Spoiler

Does knowing what happens in the final chapter help to solve Alan's death? You don't have to say who committed either murder.

I find that with each episode I dislike Susan more. I understand that she has reasons for not wanting to see her father, but I just am having difficulties with the way she is treating her sister. I also feel like she's not treating Andreas fairly. I'm not sure what she expects him to do. She knows he's not happy teaching. He obviously wants to go home to Crete. It seems like a situation in which there is no mutual win. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

My question is requesting half of a spoiler for anyone who has already seen all episodes or has read the book.

Reveal spoiler

Does knowing what happens in the final chapter help to solve Alan's death? You don't have to say who committed either murder.

I find that with each episode I dislike Susan more. I understand that she has reasons for not wanting to see her father, but I just am having difficulties with the way she is treating her sister. I also feel like she's not treating Andreas fairly. I'm not sure what she expects him to do. She knows he's not happy teaching. He obviously wants to go home to Crete. It seems like a situation in which there is no mutual win. 

Spoiler

Yes, there was a connection between the two crimes in the book.

Another potential shout-out to Agatha Christie? Alan renamed his house, which was one called Ridgeway Hall.  After Linnet Ridgeway, the murder victim from "Death on the Nile"?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 10/18/2022 at 7:33 AM, mammaM said:

The Nero Wolfe Mysteries (I know, years ago, I'm old) did the same thing, very effectively too.

I loved those too, they were smart, charming and fun. I’m liking Magpie Murders but I’m having to rewatch the second episode to make certain I have the book within a show plot down. Not bowled over so far but I’m enjoying this. 

• Love 1

I think it's suspicious that Jemima found a new job and disappeared without giving notice right when everyone is asking questions about her photocopying the book.  Sure, she says she always checks the number of pages on the copier and compares them to the book, but if she deliberately stole the missing chapter, that doesn't mean anything.  Maybe she's working with whoever killed Alan and wiped his computers and stole his notebooks. 

Do we know anything about Jemima?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, izabella said:

I think it's suspicious that Jemima found a new job and disappeared without giving notice right when everyone is asking questions about her photocopying the book.  Sure, she says she always checks the number of pages on the copier and compares them to the book, but if she deliberately stole the missing chapter, that doesn't mean anything.  Maybe she's working with whoever killed Alan and wiped his computers and stole his notebooks. 

Do we know anything about Jemima?

That’s a really good point about Jemima. It was jarring when she was suddenly gone but I didn’t think that she might be a part of the nefarious activity. I’m really enjoying this series now that I’ve gotten the characters in both stories sorted. I bought the second book in this series but hadn’t read it yet; it’s now moving up fast in my TBR list. Fun! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I'm enjoying this show - love all the actors in it and also enjoying the story.  But could somebody please tell me what is going on with Atticus Pund's face?  It's like he never blinks or something.   There is a weirdness to his eyes.  Is that what this actor normally looks like or did something happen to Pund in the concentration camp and that's why he looks like that?

Tim McMullan has small eyes. It's apparently his trademark.

His small eyes are the result of BPES syndrome, a genetic condition, causing a narrowing of the eye opening, droopy eyelids, an upward fold of the skin of the lower eyelid near the inner corner of the eye, and an increased distance between the inner corners of the eyes. This causes the eyelids to be unable to open fully, and limits vision. From IMDb.

download.jpg

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 2
  • Useful 9
  • Love 3
On 10/31/2022 at 1:05 PM, sempervivum said:

It also hasn't been explained how long it's taken for Andreas to get sick of his job

He explained it very logically, although not stating how long. Enrollment in his areas of expertise is down due to lack of interest and, similarly, the dullards he does get to teach can’t be bothered to participate with anything approaching rigor. It’s exasperating for any teacher. Also, there’s no mystery about Andreas having the same solicitor, it’s just that he’s not telling Susan he made the loan for purchase of the hotel. Remember the kitchen conversation, she said, “Who would be fool enough to loan him the money?” Andreas deliberately took it as a rhetorical question and did not answer. Who, indeed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2