Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Andrew Lloyd Webber Night

• Start Topic

No Harp in the first group, but some good challengers.

Since I'm in Canada and don't care about throwing balls around a field, I actually just watched the ep. :) 

Spoiler

I found all three singers about equal for their songs (especially considering who one of the singers is)

Maize was a good fakeout; I think everyone thouhgt they were female at first (probably due to the voice mod). I found the singing was ambiguous enough to go either way but they clearly all focused on male guesses. 

Mermaid vs MissRobot: I'm a bit surprised Robot got the win but that's the planned outcome I'm sure. She's good and energetic, but I'm sure she'll be booted in the next round or two. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2022 at 10:24 AM, Taeolas said:

No Harp in the first group, but some good challengers.

Since I'm in Canada and don't care about throwing balls around a field, I actually just watched the ep. :) 

Reveal spoiler

I found all three singers about equal for their songs (especially considering who one of the singers is)

Maize was a good fakeout; I think everyone thouhgt they were female at first (probably due to the voice mod). I found the singing was ambiguous enough to go either way but they clearly all focused on male guesses. 

Mermaid vs MissRobot: I'm a bit surprised Robot got the win but that's the planned outcome I'm sure. She's good and energetic, but I'm sure she'll be booted in the next round or two. 

Any guesses on the new contenders?

Boy, that was a tough decision, they were all so good. Kudos to Jennie for knowing that Mario Cantone can sing. Gold Derby doesn't have any official guesses yet as to who Robo Girl is.

ETA: Webber and Ken fighting over whether or not Delevingne can sing was hilarious. Webber being, you know,  Andrew Lloyd Webber, he probably has the inside information on that.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 5

So happy I finally got to see it! I feel pretty sure the people they chose for this group were based on who could handle ALW. Though I would have had Mermaid go through, the outcome was totally acceptable. 

I actually liked this performance of I Will Survive better than the original. More weight behind it and more hope and willpower than anger this time.

Nicole really has a beautiful voice, and I absolutely can't wait for Muppet Night. I hope frickin' baseball is done by then. I mean, by now everyone knows how long these sports events take, and it's always  - ALWAYS - longer than the time that's been allotted by networks. Schedule them for the longest possible time, and fill in whatever is left once the game finishes with their talking heads, interviews, checking in on other games, whatever. Do better, networks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ananayel said:

Though I would have had Mermaid go through, the outcome was totally acceptable. 

I suspect, like with group 1, they've got a few celebs that didn't want to commit to more than one episode. Maybe Gaynor didn't want to do more than this one, although she certainly should have gone all the way to the end.

This was a fun episode. I wish we could get ALW on again. 

I was happy to actually get 3 good singers this week and would’ve been happy regardless of who moved on. 

3 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Boy, that was a tough decision, they were all so good. Kudos to Jennie for knowing that Mario Cantone can sing. Gold Derby doesn't have any official guesses yet as to who Robo Girl is.

ETA: Webber and Ken fighting over whether or not Delevingne can sing was hilarious. Webber being, you know,  Andrew Lloyd Webber, he probably has the inside information on that.

Could RoboGirl be Arianna Grande? I’ve never actually heard her music before, but I know people say she’s a powerhouse and I noticed a lot of cat themes which was sorta her schtick years ago. 

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of hearing Nicole sing Phantom, I highly recommend it. I only knew her from PCD stuff and when I heard her singing Phantom, I was blown away by her voice. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

Good episode, it was great that all three singers could sing well.  I think Mario Cantone is exactly the kind of person that is a great fit for this show... someone that you know for something else and didn't know they could sing, like Chloe Kim.

I would have advanced Mermaid over Robogirl, but Robogirl is good too.

I'm assuming the outcome for this whole show is as fake as wrestling, and that the producers already know who is going to win.  I would not at all be surprised to see Robogirl get eliminated next week, because it is kind of boring to see the first winner in each round just steam through all the remaining portions of that round.

32 minutes ago, Bookworm13 said:

This was a fun episode. I wish we could get ALW on again. 

I was happy to actually get 3 good singers this week and would’ve been happy regardless of who moved on. 

Could RoboGirl be Arianna Grande? I’ve never actually heard her music before, but I know people say she’s a powerhouse and I noticed a lot of cat themes which was sorta her schtick years ago. 

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of hearing Nicole sing Phantom, I highly recommend it. I only knew her from PCD stuff and when I heard her singing Phantom, I was blown away by her voice. 

Nicole's performance of Memory was beautiful, I wish it had been a little bit longer.  I would have loved to have seen her do a whole medley of ALW songs, including singing Phantom when ALW was introduced.  But instead... so much time wasted on stupid Ken and his bad singing and his stupid jokes.  SHUT UP KEN!  Wish there was a way to make him disappear from this show forever, like that last scene of Phantom when he sits in the chair and vanishes!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Ken is not a terrible singer though. He was a contestant on the Korean version of this show, and he wasn't terrible. Is he Pavarotti? Of course not, but he's better than Mickey Rourke! In case you haven't noticed, I love all things Ken Jeong.

I agree RoboGirl may be eliminated next week, but it would need to be someone blowing the roof off the joint to do it, because she's very good. It may be a man winning next time.

The Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber is an amazing "get" for this show and his legacy is unparalleled! But as a regular person who hasn't lived near NYC nor traveled there frequently to take in Broadway shows, I just didn't feel like his music translated well to TMS format. I'll head to the back row now, hanging my head...

• Like 1

I agree with the poster who said Robo Girl could be Ariana Grande. I don't get (and never will) all the hoopla about Gloria Gaynor. She had one disco hit and a cover of a J-5 song. IMHO Donna Summer was a much better singer and had more hits. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Good episode, it was great that all three singers could sing well.  I think Mario Cantone is exactly the kind of person that is a great fit for this show... someone that you know for something else and didn't know they could sing, like Chloe Kim.

I would have advanced Mermaid over Robogirl, but Robogirl is good too.

I'm assuming the outcome for this whole show is as fake as wrestling, and that the producers already know who is going to win.  I would not at all be surprised to see Robogirl get eliminated next week, because it is kind of boring to see the first winner in each round just steam through all the remaining portions of that round.

Nicole's performance of Memory was beautiful, I wish it had been a little bit longer.  I would have loved to have seen her do a whole medley of ALW songs, including singing Phantom when ALW was introduced.  But instead... so much time wasted on stupid Ken and his bad singing and his stupid jokes.  SHUT UP KEN!  Wish there was a way to make him disappear from this show forever, like that last scene of Phantom when he sits in the chair and vanishes!

Since we didn’t get to see it last night, here’s a recent-ish performance. I’d love to be able to see her in this kind of setting one day. 

Ken normally doesn’t bother me much, but I felt like he took his schtick too far. If he had just walked up on stage singing and then ended it, it would’ve been better than whatever weird, overly sexual thing we saw last might. MMV, of course. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Ken is not a terrible singer though. He was a contestant on the Korean version of this show, and he wasn't terrible. Is he Pavarotti? Of course not, but he's better than Mickey Rourke! In case you haven't noticed, I love all things Ken Jeong.

I mean, he's not horrible, but he's no Nicole Scherzinger.  I would much rather have heard more from the scintillating Nicole Scherzinger than any wasted time on Ken Jeong.  I mean, listen to her sing Phantom and Memory in the links up above.  Amazing.  Robin got to sing the entire "Growing Pains" song last episode as a tribute to his dad, but Nicole got about 30 seconds tops because her time had to get cut so Ken could do his stupid comedy bits.  Jenny McCarthy doesn't sing, knows she can't sing, and doesn't try to hog attention by attempting to sing or make stupid jokes.  I wish Ken would do the same.  SHUT UP KEN.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

The last couple of seasons really haven't done it for me and lots of times I check afterward to see if anybody interesting was on and, if not, I just delete the recording unwatched.

I almost did the same thing here, but saw it was ALW night and had to watch as I LOVE Andrew Lloyd Webber!  They need to have ALW Season, seriously.

That said, one song I hate, hate, HATE is Memory.  Thankfully they started off with that so I could FF (sorry, Nicole) through it and get down to business.  Since both Gaynor and Cantone were guessed, it wasn't surprising that they were eliminated.  Also, Gloria Gaynor remained seated the entire time so I wonder if she has health problems, which would also account for her being a one shot.  (Yes I know she had a mermaid tail, but they could have put a slit in the back, or perhaps they deliberately made a costume that would make sense being seated.

One thing this show has done is make me actually like Robin Thicke.  After the show Duets, I thought he was the biggest sleaze that ever sleazed, but I've slowly come around on him.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1

I was so nervous for this because I love ALW's musicals. If I had to sing a musical to save my life, it would be Jesus Christ Superstar. So I was bracing myself for the songs to be butchered. I was so thrilled that all singers were amazing and I really enjoyed their renditions. Although I don't care about Bad Cinderella at all. And I wish Gaynor had let loose with Any Dream Will Do because there are some glorious belty moments that I know she would have nailed. But my fears were for naught and I loved it.

The personality of Robo Girl is definitely not Selena Gomez. I don't think it's Ariana either. The voice reminded me a little of J. Lo. I don't think it is her, but I don't know who it is.

55 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m wondering about Robo Girl.  Has Zendaya been on the show before?  All that bubbly isn’t really her either, but JoJo Siwa has already appeared, no? How about Katy Perry?  

I didn’t watch the first couple seasons but as far as I know, Zendaya and Katy Perry haven’t appeared. JoJo was the dinosaur(?). 

Edited by Bookworm13
To move my thoughts to live thread
  • Useful 1