Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: The Last Family Gathering

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It’s these little things that come out in the conversations and talking heads that remind me why I will never feel sorry for Meri, ever. 

I couldn't agree more.  Even though I feel sorry her mom died, it doesn't take away from the fact that she's a nasty piece of work.  Seriously.  Who would think of doing such a thing?   Talk about venomous.  

Did Meri ever even make a decision as to just exactly where her lot was going to be on that parcel of land???  First it was in the trees, then it wasn't the trees and then no one was sure how the parcel itself was going to actually be sub-divided.... I mean, one would think if you're going to bitch about Janelle's RV being parked on your lot for 120 days, you should at least know where it actually is.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

"Last Family Gathering" makes me think of a funeral. Which wife was it that went on an on about "There will never be another Christmas..."? What a ridiculous statement! 

I couldn't figure out what the heck Christine was singing until the fambly joined the chorus. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

If I had to guess, I would say Meri is pulling in the most money right now, followed by Christine and then Janelle. None of them are sharing any of it. It probably kills Kody and Robyn to have to split the TLC money and continue to have the family pot. Kody's gun money likely goes toward supporting Robyn's "5 kids".

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, eskimo said:

Robyn and Meri talking about how this gathering felt like old times and hopefully it will remind 'everyone', aka, Christine, how great this all is and maybe its worth working out.  ....so basically be miserable and alone for 362 days a year, so that Robyn et al can have roughly 3 good get togethers with everyone, per year? Is this what I'm hearing?  Well, it looks like 'everyone' is sick of this shit.  

And like most previous family gatherings, Christine & her girls did all the prep work while Kootie took Ysabel off somewhere and Meri & Robyn showed up at the last minute, never wondering how all the decorations and food-laden tables got set up. Poor Robyn had to host one Christmas and one Thanksgiving with Meri supplying a Rice Crispy turkey over the past 2 years, and hardly any before that.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 2
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, magemaud said:

I haven’t seen Robyn’s kids for a while but I noticed Aurora has the same sperm shaped eyebrows as her mother.  

I noticed that Breanna has the same profile as Robyn and similar facial expressions.

23 minutes ago, magemaud said:

What are the holidays going to be like without Christine and her girls doing all the work? They'll be missed! 

I can imagine more simple holidays at Christine's place with only people who love them invited and everyone putting their feet up thinking - Isn't this relaxing without Kootie, Meri, Robyn and their baggage here as stress-inducing Debbie Downers?

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15

I really want to see Kody pushing for shared custody with Truely. He clearly thinks shared custody means Christine stays in Flagstaff and Kody drops by to see Truely whenever he wants. He clearly has no idea that shared custody means he is completely responsible for Truely for the time he has with her. I'd love to see him bringing Truely to Robyn's house and then Janelle's RV as he travels from wife to wife.

Does Kody not realize that with Christine leaving, they can revisit his plan to build one big house on the properties? Wasn't Christine the one who objected to the polygamous house he presented one Christmas?

Robyn and Meri are a hella selfish to want Christine to stay with Kody - who clearly doesn't love her - so that everyone can stay together. As the kids grow and move on, they aren't all going to be together anyhow.

What are Aurora and Dayton doing? They weren't mentioned as having asked to continue with virtual learning when schools returned to in-person classes - Kody mentioned Breanna and Sol, but not the other two. Have they just been stuck in the house since March 2020 with no school, no jobs and no friends?

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

As the kids grow and move on, they aren't all going to be together anyhow.

There are so few children left at home there is absolutely no reason to go ahead and build completely separate houses for this 'family'. By the time they actually build anything they will probably only have Truely (part time, if that) and Robyn's youngest at home. They can just all live in one house as husband and three wives. We all know that will not happen because they don't like each other enough or feel connected as family enough to do that. There is no 'family' here, just a group of people who once were trying to be a family but who gave it up years ago and maintain the illusion in order to film a TV show and make money (and to give Kody that all important celestial heaven entry ticket). 

Even dysfunctional monogamous families have more connection and care for each other than this group does. They show no interest or support for each other at all, as evidenced by Ysabel's party and Janelle's RV purchase and Meri's mother's illness -- no other wives or Kody helped in those situations, they just show up if told to do so and it's all on the single wife to carry the entire load of their personal celebration or misery. Real families show up for each other and help in a crisis. These guys act like it's none of their business or it's a distant relative across the country.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • Love 10

I’m team Janelle. She seems freed from any semblance of authority. Only one minor child left, plenty of room in the 5th wheel. 

I cannot stand Meri and her “you can’t run me out, I’m OG!” attitude. 

• Like 2
  • Love 14

disagree. I have noted that the Browns are NOT the best at maintaining/fixing up properties- I remember vividly pictures from after they "fled" the Lehi house of filthy, raveling carpets, holes in walls, and general disrepair. They seemed to leave a lot of crap behind when they left their Vegas properties as well. And now, watching the scenes (especially of Janelle's rental and Christine's house) in Flagstaff, I see weedy and overgrown lawns, dirty old carpeting, and general poorly-kept properties. 

Janelle is dragging Savannah out to the prairie to live in an RV that doesn't have any indoor plumbing hooked up. Janelle can do what she wants, but Savannah shouldn't suffer for the sake of her mother's dream.

I noticed at the birthday party that Christine and Robyn had matching shirts, and Savannah seemed very detached from the party going on around her.

• Sad 4
  • Love 4

Robyn asking “ isn’t this worth keeping ?”  No Robyn.  You have had a few of kodys other children calling you telling you he isn’t spending time with them   He treated his children like they are expendable 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, Shauna said:

It is very telling that no Brown children have showed an interest in polygamy. 

I said the same thing! 

8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah….even Kody isn’t on board.  Who’s left who supports it anymore?  Janelle….Meri?  

Does Meri really support it? She tried to get away from it, but she rode that cucumber straight into an accidental relationship with a woman.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Does Meri really support it? She tried to get away from it, but she rode that cucumber banana straight into an accidental relationship with a woman.

FIFY

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

Didn't Christine own her house?  Is there a reason she couldn't have rented it to Janelle?  Or sold it to her?

56 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

I said the same thing! 

Does Meri really support it? She tried to get away from it, but she rode that cucumber straight into an accidental relationship with a woman.

I don't think she has ever supported it really.  The impression I got from reading the book that they wrote way back in the day was that Meri thought Kody was the best guy she could get, and she was willing to do whatever he wanted to keep him.  So when he suggested polygamy she went along. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Someone should probably inform Kody that respect is earned, not given. He claims that he has issues with most of his children; I guess he doesn’t see the common denominator in that problem.   Based on the way he has treated Christine’s children and Janelle’s boys; he should be glad they even acknowledge his presence. 

I literally said this aloud when he was complaining about not being respected.  And, he has not respected at least 3 of his wives and has not earned the respect of his neglected children.  I love what you said about how he is ignoring the common denominator.  Bravo!

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, zamp33 said:

And Meri- you have a HUGE rental with only you in it plus you are traveling all the time.  How the heck she justifies that is beyond me unless she is paying from her own money from Lularoe/

Hey now.....let's be fair.   Meri needs to have enough room for her friggin wet bar.   ☺️🙄

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, steff13 said:

Didn't Christine own her house?  Is there a reason she couldn't have rented it to Janelle?  Or sold it to her?

I don't think she has ever supported it really.  The impression I got from reading the book that they wrote way back in the day was that Meri thought Kody was the best guy she could get, and she was willing to do whatever he wanted to keep him.  So when he suggested polygamy she went along. 

Christine offered; Janelle said no. She had already paid the down payment on the RV.

• Like 5
  • Useful 6
10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

In addition, Janelle bought the Lehi house in her name and the mortgage in her name and added Kody AND Meri as co-owners later.  

Janelle bought the house in Lehi with an inheritance and by tapping into her 401K.  She seems to contribute a lot and ask for very little.  The complete opposite of Robyn.  She is either a Saint or a fool.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, MamaGee said:

Anyone else find it incredibly sad that because Meri has been such a biotch to Janelle and Christine, Meri doesn't have the support of 2 of her sister wives that could be such a help to her right now? I look at the relationship Janelle and Christine have and think of one of them were in Meri's position, the other would help, encourage and just show up. I hope that continues between Christine and Janelle after Christine leaves. And it's a huge reminder not to burn bridges like Meri did. 

And you'll note that I didn't mention Robyn helping ANYONE. 

I wonder if not speaking to each other when they (Janelle and Meri) met going to their mailboxes in Vegas makes much sense now.  And, that was after going to therapy!  😕

• Like 5

What was it with Kody continually says “we live out here” and “we live in this small RV”….there is NO we in him living with Janelle, he shows up with a platonic kiss and whatcha do’in, ignores the sons he told her to toss out and leaves before dinner!  I’m pretty sure he hasn’t slept with Janelle since Savannah was born, and she’s okay with that.  He’s not on her lease, he doesn’t live there - NO “we” in this scenario at all. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

What exactly is the fast track from separation to divorce for people who are not legally married  ?

Janelle's rv is a disaster waiting to happen. She will have no idea how to handle all the problems that come up, and Kody certainly wont help.

I wouldn't buy a sandwich sight unseen, let alone an rv. 

Regarding the "120-day gotta move the rv rule", Janelle should have just kept moving it around the lots without asking Meri and Robyn's permission. No one goes to Coyote Pass anyway so how would they even know the rv was there ? 

Ysabel is a beautiful girl that Kody has severely neglected. He's lucky he was even allowed to come to the party. 

Ironic that Freebird Christine and Loser Robyn wore practically the same shirt to the party. 

I hope they had more than that tiny little round cake for dessert.

I still don't know why TLC isnt capitalizing on a show for just Christine and Janelle. It would be a goldmine as far as advertising $, and very satisfying for most viewers. 

• Like 8
  • Love 6

I think Janelle will sell the 5th wheel as soon as she can and get a small camper that she can drive on her own later. Just to rub it in Kotex's face! Janelle is a free spirit and I can see her driving the country, visiting family one place or another. Good on her!

• Like 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, steff13 said:

I had no idea there was a book. Now I need to find it.

• LOL 1

Ref. the truck Kody bought from his brother’s widow. He said it was cool. Trucks like to stay in families. My father bought a certain truck in 1971. His brother totaled it. 😟 My grandfather loved it, so he bought himself one just like it. Years go by and he sells it…..years later, my brother grows up, finds it and buys it.  Last year, he sold the truck to his older son.   Now, son is going to sell it to his younger brother!  Lol. My dad says, if younger brother doesn’t  wants it, he wants to buy it!  😆 This truck does not run!  I’m thinking of buying the truck. Lol

Ysabel and Solomon  really resemble.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

So poor pitiful Kody must move all his stuff over to Robyn's house. Boo hoo.  Sounds like something he's wanted to do all along, only now he has a legitimate excuse/reason. 

And of course there’s no mention at all of the possibility of storing anything at Meri’s. Because as much as he’s whining about “being left,” it’s A-OK that he has left Meri. And what a bastard, letting her cry alone in her house, grieving for her mom. Could he even just be a FRIEND to her? Jesus. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 7

I think Janelle will be one and done with RVs as soon as she unloads this one. Janelle wants a simple life and RV living is not simple. Its the same reason she didn't buy her rental, renovating a house takes a lot of work.

The Browns give themselves all these false labels. Janelle is the one who everyone calls hard working and low maintenance, yet she was very much taking care of all these years. IMO, this is part of why she stays. She has gotten used to going with the flow and just showing up.

Even the RV - she thought if she lived at Coyote Pass a house would magically appear in 6 months.

• Like 5
  • Love 6
On 10/10/2022 at 5:27 AM, Adeejay said:

It “saddened” Meri to hear Kody say she should move to her inn in Utah.  Clearly, he is giving her an easy out.  When she said, "I was here at the very beginning — I helped start this family. It was me and him. We had plans and he loved me;" I felt for her.  Her mom just died; she is most likely at her lowest and most vulnerable.  She seems to believe that if she sticks around, things will one day return to how they were in the beginning.  That is sad! 

I noticed a few posts along this thread that reflect Adeejay's thoughts above regarding Meri. She has finally managed to score a bit of empathy along the board. Even I have to admit that I felt a little for Meri as well this episode and  I agree that Kody's treatment of Meri is absolutely disgusting.

But.... . I can barely believe that I am defending Kody a little here as well, but he has said over and over again that there is no future for them and that she needs to move on. Meri just won't give up because she cannot accept it. She's clearly stuck in the past and clings to what once was.  Nothing he says makes a difference, nothing impresses Meri or makes her understand. Meri insists they still have a future. She's like a dog that is constantly beaten by his owner but keeps happily wagging its tail when the big bad boss comes home. Not even a very clear suggestion like Kody saying she should move away permanently, does the trick apparently.

Edited by LilyD
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

A few thoughts from this episode.  

1. I cut Tony some slack, I think he was just trying to find a way to say he isn't shocked Christine is leaving Kody without trying to offend either of his in laws. What I think Tony really means is polygamy just doesn't work, that it's impossible to have equal relationships with multiple women and someone will always be the favourite wife and others just a basement wife. 

2. I wonder if there was a lot more thought put into the RV purchase by Janelle than it seems on the surface.  Whether conscious or subconscious she may have been forcing Kody and the others into taking concrete steps to start developing that land instead of using it as a plot line.  To see where they really fall in their desire to actually build and live there or whether buying separate homes around town was her future.

What was interesting and new (to me anyway) is how the reason they never started work on that land is because they haven't paid for it and can't pay for it yet. I do remember when Robyn was praying for God to find them a rental instead of buying that house was because it would delay building out on their land.  Also learned this episode (and maybe last) that to reconfigure the four plots into five they have to pay off the land etc....  so if Christine is buggering off you would think it would be easier by just keeping the four plots as purchased.  But Kody still wants five plots for two rentals?  Who the hell would want to rent out there and live in the middle of that family?

It also became crystal clear this episode why Janelle (especially) really didn't want Meri to have the plot with the "pond" based on her reaction to the possibility of Janelle pouring a concrete base on Meri's plot to park her RV.  But kudos to the editors for piecing together an episode where Meri and Robyn wax on about how the odd party is the reason to stay in a shitty marriage and then out of the other side of their mouth express such distaste that Janelle would even think to park herself on their vacant undeveloped plots of land for a few months. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Castina said:

Also learned this episode (and maybe last) that to reconfigure the four plots into five they have to pay off the land etc....  so if Christine is buggering off you would think it would be easier by just keeping the four plots as purchased.  But Kody still wants five plots for two rentals? 

It's amusing to me that Kody just acts like he has endless money to throw up a couple of extra houses as "rental property" which he presumes will provide income; yet he doesn't seem to take into account that building a house, paying taxes on it, keeping it up, providing uitilities- are EXPENSES. I'm sure he hasn't done any math or anything to see if all of those expenses would be offset by rental income (who wants to go live on the Brown compound as tenants? Anyone?)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Kody, Robyn, and Meri aren't nice people. They're just two weeks into the new family configuration and Robyn is already getting into Kody's ear to jockey for position against Janelle. Of course Kody and Meri are jumping on Robyn's bandwagon. The three of them will continue to gang up on Janelle until she leaves too. I hope that she doesn't wait too long to get the heck away from them. They are toxic.

Then, when she finally leaves, they will all cry that it's so sad that she's breaking up the family.

The three of them are unbelievably dysfunctional and mean.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Janelle is dragging Savannah out to the prairie to live in an RV that doesn't have any indoor plumbing hooked up. Janelle can do what she wants, but Savannah shouldn't suffer for the sake of her mother's dream.

The trailer has a fresh water tank from which it draws water, so the faucets and toilets run like normal; it's not like they have to bathe by using a cup in a bucket.  But no more 20-minute-long hot showers, that's for sure, especially if you're having to truck fresh water in and gray water (sinks, showers) out.

And, oh my, I just looked at the specs and that gigantic trailer has only a 6-gallon water heater.  The manufacturers put in either a 6-gallon one or a 10-gallon one, and putting the smaller one in such a big trailer seems a little odd.  Although it's probably just the sort of thing a buyer, especially an inexperienced buyer, might overlook, and the manufacturer couldn't squeeze in the 10-gallon tank.

18 hours ago, KateHearts said:

RVs are costly but they do resell and I think hers was used (they said that, although the pictures looked like it was pretty new).

I thought it was new.  It's generally wiser, financially, to buy them used because like cars, they depreciate significantly the second you drive them off the lot.  Plus, with RVs, buying used means somebody else dealt with all the manufacturing defects (which is how RVs differ dramatically from cars, which are manufactured competently, by robots, and have meaningful quality control processes). 

RVs do resell, but it's hard to tell if she timed it right.  Historically, RV owners took a beating when reselling (like if they buy one and decide in a year or two they want something different).  It's been typical for RV owners to be upside down on their loans.  But with Covid, the whole RV market went bananas, and several-year-old trailers can be worth as much as they were new, which is unprecedented, to say the least. 

But at some point the massive demand is going to die off, and it will be coupled with a glut caused by people realizing that youtube video they watched about the joys of RVing might have been a little rosy.  That might get ugly.

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 10/9/2022 at 11:32 PM, goofygirl said:

Old Douchie's getting all pained about Christine leaving NOW??? What the actual hell??

A certain wife got in his ear about how it would LOOK for him not to fight for his child and his dignity. 

They kind of glossed over it, but I can somewhat see Meri's point about the motor home moving between lots. It will need a pad to sit on, concrete or stone, and one would have to be poured/planted on each lot. And who's going to pay to put it in/take it out? If it sinks 2 feet into soft soil because they DIDN'T park on a solid, dry, level surface, who's going to tow it out? Or will it just sit there on somebody else's plot, rusting and flipping over in a blizzard, because Janelle decided to spend the winter on the east coast? And what if by then the wife whose lot it's on wants to sell out, but there's a gigantic 5th wheeler dug in for all eternity? Or they take it away, but the cement slab remains, right where she wants her living room, but Kody thinks it's cheaper to just build the house in a completely different location because it will save digging it up, and tell her it's on her if she wants it gone.

One thing I will give Meri credit for (most of the time) is that she probably can see how things will go in terms of bad planning in this group and wants to solidify her position as best she can up front.

No excuse for not telling Truely at least within days of telling the other wives.

Edited by kassa
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2022 at 11:58 AM, Kellyee said:

The RV is not a good idea. It's just not. Janelle is planning to drive out to the middle of nowhere with no utility services and no one nearby to hear her and her 17 year old daughter if they scream. Janelle should have bought the rental house, which would be an investment. The RV is a waste of money the way Janelle is planning on doing it. Janelle is not smarter than the average Brown.

Regarding Kody's shit comment to Meri about how she should move to Parawon, I noticed that Robyn is the constant Kody Apologist, apologizing for and reframing everything Kody says to put it in the best light. Robyn will eventually get very tired of being the Kody Apologist. Kody means what he says exactly how he says it.

I hope Christine isn't going to tell Truely about the divorce on camera. That would be horrible for that poor kid, when she's already been put through enough. And Christine is an asshole for letting everyone else in on what's going on but not telling Truely much earlier what is happening. 

I rilly think the RV life with Janelle and Savannah was 80% plot device because it gives them a reason to focus on coyote pass which is another plot device since the idea of building the Polygamous Mansion was never going to happen. It also gives them something to comment about.
I have a comment about Mary but I will take it to her thread later. 
Christine cannot sing; I was not impressed with any of the singing.
it was interesting to hear that Ysabel feels close to Robyn’s girls as I would’ve never guessed it from the show.    

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, kassa said:

They kind of glossed over it, but I can somewhat see Meri's point about the motor home moving between lots.

Why can't Janelle move the RV to a campground for just enough time to reset the 120 days restriction instead of keeping it on their plots? 

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Why can't Janelle move the RV to a campground for just enough time to reset the 120 days restriction instead of keeping it on their plots? 

She could move it to Christine's lot, couldn't she?  Leave it on her (Janelle's) for 120 days, move it to Christine's to a day or two, move back to her own plot. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
Just now, steff13 said:

She could move it to Christine's lot, couldn't she?  Leave it on her (Janelle's) for 120 days, move it to Christine's to a day or two, move back to her own plot. 

I don't know anything about this, but is it absolutely necessary for the RV to be on some kind of "pad" short term? That's why I suggested a campground that was set up for RV parking

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

I don't understand "the last family gathering".  For me, that would have already occurred when ALL of the kids were together for the last time,  not just the last in and close-ish to Flagstaff.  🤔

Exactly - this party was missing Logan, Paedon, Leon, Maddie, Hunter and Aspyn.  Kody, to no one's surprise, failed miserably when he declared that Flagstaff would be the mecca to which his adult children would flock whenever he summoned them forth to gather at his knee.  And now Ysabel is out of there too.  Great job, Patriarch.  

23 minutes ago, magemaud said:

First of all, that would be far too logical for this clown posse.  But second, I might pay money to watch Kody drive that Big Daddy truck attached to Janelle's behemoth RV and try to back it into a spot without taking out a few trees, running over Janelle's foot, and maybe knocking over a nearby camper or two.

• Like 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1

I'm a softy. None of them will be winning American Idol anytime soon, but I was very touched at the family singing "Unwritten." It's such a PERFECT song for a girl about to set out into the real world. If you had no idea of the family dynamics, the whole thing looked like a close-knit family. It was something you'd see in a cutesy coming-of-age movie.

The song was popular when I was 18 and setting out, so it was nice seeing it make a comeback.

Kody can still go fuck himself, though.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7

My question is why they can't continue to celebrate holidays together if they want to? 

Because the emotional maturity of the 5 Brown adults combined does not equal the emotional maturity of one normal functioning adult. They are too caught up in their own spite and immaturity to work together for the kids. I don't think Christine's continuing jealousy and resentment over what happened with Robyn and Kody would allow to her spend a holiday with them, and the same goes for how Kody is towards Christine. 

And the reality is that Janelle and Christine don't consider Robyn and her kids to be family at all. Which sucks, because the kids are innocent in all this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Hey now.....let's be fair.   Meri needs to have enough room for her friggin wet bar.   ☺️🙄

Plus each of these guys needs his own room.

169snapcp.jpg

I hope you didn’t think Meri was making all those Rice Krispie treats by herself 😉

Janelle having to ask permission to use something (CP) nobody is using is preposterous.  Also, Kody’s name is on everyone’s lot so as long as he says it’s ok why does anybody else needs to say ok especially since Kody is the Patriarch 😂

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 7
  • LOL 6