Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: Everything Has Changed

Bort
  • Start Topic

46 minutes ago, taanja said:

Hello to this!!! I was gonna say but I didn't want to spoil! Haha! She is the person/character I thought of when that new intern recited her VERY specific backstory.

Derek and Addison didn't come to Seattle until they were already department heads. They went to medical school in NY and Richard taught them over there. There's no way Addison has anything to do with Simone's mom unless there is a retcon. 

Edited by funnygirl

I liked it. It's the first time they have added new people in forever where it seemed to work. I hope they keep a reasonable focus on the newbies. 

I continue to keep hoping Schmidt gets run over by a bus or killed in the next major storm or whatever. He's the worst but yet he remains.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2022 at 11:23 PM, statsgirl said:

One of the things I really hate is when doctors lie to patients so thumbs down on "Blue".

In fairness, the mom of the brain dead guy wasn't a patient. 

On 10/8/2022 at 12:35 PM, iMonrey said:

And Schmitt is still way too cringe, going on and on about the vagina.

I just wanted to be like: "Dude, you are a doctor.  If you are too immature to handle discussing the vagina, you should rethink your profession."

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

Derek and Addison didn't come to Seattle until they were already department heads. They went to medical school in NY and Richard taught them over there. There's no way Addison has anything to do with Simone's mom unless there is a retcon. 

This shows loves a retcon. Let's say Webber heads back to Seattle in ~1997 and asks Addison to come for the summer before her fellowship in NYC starts. It's *that* easy to make it the fault of someone who could be on the show.

• Love 2

I liked this episode enough to want to keep on watching.  So many episodes of the last few years, I just want to turn it off and not bother, but this one had enough to keep me engaged the whole time.  

Like others on here before me, Ellen Pompeo seemed to be actually "there" and not going through the motions, and I did love the part at the end between Meredith and Amelia and the comment about her seeing Amelia in Lucas.  I really wanted to yell at the screen a lot of early Amelia could be contributed to a brain tumour (at least when Meredith first met Amelia), so let's hope we don't head down that route with Lucas.

I will confess, the others haven't made too much of an impression as yet.  I fear there are a couple who may become annoying... the one who's mother died at the hospital for one.  Jules too, maybe.  

I think Blue will be interesting.  In terms of dealing with patients, he seems the most polished, but there is a lot of time for him to stuff up yet.  I think the one who was told to shut up, I think I will like her.  And I like Lucas too.  I don't know if it is the related to Derek and Amelia thing, or something else yet, but, in my opinion, he has the potential to be interesting.  Especially because we need to see Richard's reaction with Mer and Amelia over the fact that Lucas said, "It's a beautiful day to save lives." I'm looking forward to that!

In introducing the new interns, I was so glad the other characters played smaller parts, I think it would have been overwhelming should they have had bigger parts in the first episode. 

I'm happy Link and Jo are friends again and talking and laughing.  Link seems to be doing a Meredith (season 2-ish when Derek chose Addison) and sleeping through a heap of people, Jules included.  I can imagine Jo's black scrubs getting a much bigger storyline. (Black scrubs a far more practical than pale pink anyway). 

I like Maggie and Winston, he is a break for her high stress.  They just compliment each other, or at least for me, anyway.  

Amelia, being a surgeon, I love.  Especially having grown so much as a person to be stable and reliable. She's going to be great with the interns. 

Richard, I've always liked him, but (and not meaning to be rude or mean) I think he needs to retire.  He's looking old and fragile. All I can say is thank God we didn't have to deal with Catherine in this episode.

Bailey, she needs to get her butt back into the OR and teach, she's good at it and she was a crappy Chief.  

Owen and Teddy - separately, as doctors, I like the characters, together, they just annoy me.  As doctors, they both teach interns well and are good mentors, together, they frequently make dumb choices and just are poor communicators.  (Exclude the bit where Owen helped people medically commit suicide without going through the processes - this was compassion over consideration for his medical licence.  

And then there is Meredith (and Nick).  As I said (and others have said) before, EP wasn't just going through the motions.  Meredith makes a good chief.  I remember early on, when Derek proposed (I think), he said Meredith keeps moving when everyone else can't.  She got the hospital functional again, and, from what I gather, without Richard or Bailey.  Admittedly, to the detriment of her own relationship with Nick (and possibly to the detriment of her relationship with her kids if Zola was asking for Nick's phone number from Maggie, or it just could have been because she seemed sad all the time). Nick being residency director is good.  He seems to have the ability to take young doctors under his wing and nurture them (witness the dr last season who seemed actually capable but obsessed over Bailey.  It would be good if he came back).  He also seemed good with Lucas too. While I still think Mer would have been good with McWidow, I have conceded that is not going to happen and Nick does compliment Mer.  The fact that he walked away for 6 months and didn't do anything showed a greater understanding of her than I had expected.  He knew somehow that she was too stubborn and too busy to be chasing him.  I did want them to kiss in that long line of doctors waiting for organs and shock some people though.  :)  

• Love 5

The solution was a lot of upgrades in terms of tech and agreeing to take the bottom of the barrel residents. These are all doctors who would not have matched with any other program. So what is happening is Schmitt will transfer back to being a surgery resident and as the only senior surgery resident at the hospital, he will be chef resident over the misfits.

But . . . but . . . but . . . are the new kids residents or interns? I thought they were interns.

It took me several days to watch this episode, because I’ve become fairly indifferent to this show over the last few years. I’ve liked enough to keep watching, but it’s just kind of… there.

Until this one! This is the most enjoyment I’ve had watching the show in a very long time. It really had an old-school GA vibe, which is no accident, according to what I’ve read. They’re working hard to recapture the old magic (or “MAGYK”, if you will), and I think they did a great job.

The only missteps were Owen and Teddy (WHY would you tease us with what could have been an easy exit, Show?) and Schmidt, who is officially, clearly, no longer needed. Not that he ever was. (At least we weren’t subjected to the Meredith worshiper, so I hold out hope that she’s gone.) Are there Owen/ Teddy/ Schmidt fans anywhere? Certainly there are not many here. I don’t understand why they keep coming back, like human cockroaches.

But overall, so far I’m happy with Gray’s 2.0. I may even watch same-day this week.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

(Black scrubs a far more practical than pale pink anyway

Doctors initially work black coats to treat patients as a demonstration of formality. It wasnèt until 1875 that Joseph Lister, building on the work of Ignasz Semmelweiss who said it is doctors passing on infections to their patients in the 1840s. put into effect the wearing of white coast in 1875 to demonstrate that the doctor is not bearing any infection (like dried blood) from one patient to another.

9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

In fairness, the mom of the brain dead guy wasn't a patient.

She was his medical Power of Attorney. the one who made his medical decisions, so it's basically the same thing.

Lying to patients and their families shows disdain if not contempt. for them.  'Blue' could have got to the same point by spending time with the mother, listening to her and guiding her to the same realization as she got to without lying to her, but he couldn't be bothered to spend the time. He didn't respect her and her grief, he just wanted to get her to agree to the transplants so that he could get the glory and the place in the OR. It's a very ugly look on him.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2022 at 11:44 AM, funnygirl said:

I considered the timeline but this show is so wonky who knows how long ago the event took place or how old that intern is supposed to be (Hell! they made Maggie a child prodigy!)

This show could totally retcon ANYTHING! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I agreed with Jo in her upset about women’s rights being taken away but if I was giving birth and the staff was wearing all black I would think my baby died or something bad was happening . New moms are fearful enough without having to feel like giving birth is being treated like something bad.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I have followed Meredith Grey from before her first day as an intern all the way to "interim chief."  All those men, all that angst, all those catastrophes!

But now, oh how cute, there's a new MAGYK, another tipsy intern inadvertently screwed her attending, and most exhausting of all, there's a new Amelia prototype--hard to handle, but brilliant.  Yeah, yeah, whatever.

I'm out.

When I need a fix, those first six seasons are always in rotation somewhere.  And they are terrific.

• Love 1