Type keyword(s) to search

S1: E04: Not Our First Rodeo

JayDub1987
  • Start Topic

I'll do my weekly live breakdown of this show that I'm now only hatewatching.

• Yea, let's open with a Harry Styles cover of a song that is about female orgasms. That seems like an incredible idea for a new artist who I'm guessing is around 17. 
  • Guess we're diving all the way into this soap opera sibling rivalry. I'm getting Sami/Carrie "Days of Our Lives" vibes. (C'mon, who thought I was gonna drop a very pointed DOOL 90s reference?)
  • I wish the decision makers on the show would put as much time into finding original songs as Nicky is. Yes, I will continue to bang that drum as long as this show is on the air.
  • "Straight Tequila Night" by John Anderson is one of the best 90s country songs. If they played this in every episode, I'd be happy. 
  • So Nicky is gonna revenge cheat. Kinda played out trope, but eh. I don't really blame her.
  • This new producer/agent guy wants to help Albie find his own sound...so let's go with a cover from 1978.
  • Sooo....new guy wrote a Sam Hunt hit. I guess they're either wanting us to suspend our disbelief, or they're hoping that the people who watch this show don't know a thing about country music. 
  • Are we supposed to hate Gigi now? I mean, it wasn't difficult before, but it seems like they want us to view her as a vindictive, ruthless twat-waffle in this episode. "I've got a notebook full of original stuff I've been working on" (presented in the thickest, fakest southern accent possible). Next thing ya know, BOOM! Singing Mama's secret adultery song that she found...in a boot...that she broke. (Sorry, still struggling to reconcile that whole mess)
  • Ahh. I guess it kinda made sense after the next scene. Dottie knifed Nicky in the back when she was a kid, and now Gigi is doing it to her as an adult. Maybe Gigi really is the heir apparent instead of Nicky? Oooo. The drama.
  • Wait, Gigi wanted an outfit that was "over the top" and "crazy." She looks pretty normal. However, Nicky looks like she pulled something out of her Macho Man Randy Savage collection.
  • OH! Nicky with the underhanded shot! Stab in the back before you get stabbed in the back. 
  • "That bitch stole my song." Uh...no. You stole your dead mom's song, and then Nicky stole it. Technically, she stole your mom's song just like you tried to do.
  • Just to make sure I'm consistent: Nicky's lip syncing is abysmal. It started out bad and is still....well, it's bad.
  • Preppy businessman, Luke Roman just paid a bunch of money to jump on a bull. Because that's a thing that should happen. Seems a little old to be lashing out like this because Dad made a new friend. Ah well, guess we needed a rodeo-related injury to make sure we had our weekly Yellowstone ripoff. So help me God, if they ship Luke off to 6666 Ranch, I'm done with this. Who am I kidding? Taylor Sheridan would never lower himself to this. 
  • Alright, so Albie has offed whoever was blackmailing Dottie, I'm assuming. I'm curious enough about who the King of Country killed to keep tuning in. Plus, the ridiculousness of this entire thing is just too much to stop watching.
  • Applause 4

Ugh thank GOD only one episode left and no news if S2 is going ahead.  Hope not.

And yeah, the country style-sih outfits in this show are just so God damn awful.

Edited by Nessa

So, yes, Dottie was a horrible mother, and screwed her own child professionally and emotionally, but are we supposed to like Nicky? I don't. At all. I like Gigi better. Is there really only one episode left? I am guessing that 1) no one even knows this show exists, and 2)the people who did pretty much stopped watching (except for the few of us). I cannot see that there will be a second season.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, JayDub1987 said:
  • Alright, so Albie has offed whoever was blackmailing Dottie, I'm assuming. I'm curious enough about who the King of Country killed to keep tuning in. Plus, the ridiculousness of this entire thing is just too much to stop watching.

I am pretty sure it is Nicky's cheating husband.

9 hours ago, nilyank said:

I am pretty sure it is Nicky's cheating husband.

What dirt do you think he would've had on Dottie? This whole thing has been going on since well before she died.

13 hours ago, Retired at last said:

So, yes, Dottie was a horrible mother, and screwed her own child professionally and emotionally, but are we supposed to like Nicky? I don't. At all. I like Gigi better. Is there really only one episode left? I am guessing that 1) no one even knows this show exists, and 2)the people who did pretty much stopped watching (except for the few of us). I cannot see that there will be a second season.

I felt like we were supposed to like Gigi more than Nicky until this episode. This one painted them both in horrible lights, especially Gigi.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I felt like we were supposed to like Gigi more than Nicky until this episode. This one painted them both in horrible lights, especially Gigi.

I like literally not one character on this show.  There's not even a dog so I can like it.  Are we sure there's only one more episode?  I don't think I can manage more than that.  As it is I hate myself every week for watching this even though at this point I'm fast forwarding through like 50% or more of the episode. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Nessa said:

That new girl Ava and her pushy stage mom....................there's more to them.  I was thinking Albie's love child but then he'd recognise the mother, correct?

That's a good idea. Maybe he was in a drunken stupor or something. We know he cheated, but do we know when? There are way too many plot holes to resolve in only one more show so they were clearly hoping for another season.

17 hours ago, Nessa said:

Appears so, according to Epguides: https://epguides.com/Monarch/

That new girl Ava and her pushy stage mom....................there's more to them.  I was thinking Albie's love child but then he'd recognise the mother, correct?

According to The Review Geek, there are 12 episodes in season 1. Which means we're not even halfway done with this trainwreck.

1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

That's a good idea. Maybe he was in a drunken stupor or something. We know he cheated, but do we know when? There are way too many plot holes to resolve in only one more show so they were clearly hoping for another season.

According to Albie's confession to Dottie, it happened right after they got married, and they were together for 40 years. So, Sarandon was around 35 and Adkins was 17ish? HAHA. Either way, I don't think the girl is his kid, unless they just decide to completely ignore numbers. Which wouldn't surprise me at all. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

I like literally not one character on this show.  There's not even a dog so I can like it.  Are we sure there's only one more episode?  I don't think I can manage more than that.  As it is I hate myself every week for watching this even though at this point I'm fast forwarding through like 50% or more of the episode. 

I think it was episode 3 (I just watched them all to get them off the dvr) where Albie arrived somewhere and he had a dog in the truck with him. We can like that dog. Also the 2 grandkids don’t annoy me too much…yet. 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, Nessa said:

Appears so, according to Epguides: https://epguides.com/Monarch/

I don’t think superstars remember every rando groupie they sleep with. He’s supposed to be a huge but not quite current country star. 

On 10/7/2022 at 1:30 PM, JayDub1987 said:

According to Albie's confession to Dottie, it happened right after they got married, and they were together for 40 years. So, Sarandon was around 35 and Adkins was 17ish? HAHA. Either way, I don't think the girl is his kid, unless they just decide to completely ignore numbers. Which wouldn't surprise me at all. 

It could be his grandkid. I guess that could still be a scandal in Albie & Dottie’s true love forever story.

~~~~
I kind of hate/like how that fact that the sister (technically—although I think Dot was a narcissistic bitch and totally could have opened the pills herself if she wanted to die) killed their mom comes up when it’s convenient. Most times they’re running around doing what they want and then it’s like “hey, it’s time I remind you that I know you killed mom and I’m slightly mad about it”. 

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:
On 10/7/2022 at 1:30 PM, JayDub1987 said:

It could be his grandkid. I guess that could still be a scandal in Albie & Dottie’s true love forever story.

I think the stage mom is the long lost child which is tied into Dottie blackmail story. With Dottie dead, there was no more money being sent so that secret is going to come out. Also the stage mom's daughter is going to hook up with Nicky's adopted son.

Quick question:  Is Trace Atkins "acting", or are they drugging him and filming him whilst sleepwalking/talking???

I mean, this show is overall very, very bad, but Trace Atkins' acting still manages to stick out like a sore thumb.