Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Allison's House

• Start Topic

I found it interesting how we could see the changing views others had of Kevin in this final episode.  People could be initially drawn to him (as we saw when Allison first met him) and how slowly they begin to realize that his "humor" was always at someone else's expense and his "goofiness/helplessness" was a manipulative technique.  Molly went through these stages in one episode (from girlfriend to ghosting) while the other people in Kevin's life took longer to realize and leave.

The detail that really hit me during Kevin's non-sitcom scene was his hair.  I know it sounds unimportant, but going from the stylized pompador (sp) to the matted mess really symbolized the difference between the two personas.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Multi-cam (i.e. sitcom) Kevin made me want to kill him in ep 1. I haaaaate that kind of personality. It amazes me that anybody finds it attractive, and yet lots of people do. Single-cam Kevin revealed the monster I considered him to be.

I understand, story-wise, why Allison came back to Worcester, but gosh, I wish she'd have stayed away and found happiness. Which can be found in places other than the one you've lived in your whole life!

I also am mystified that she didn't restyle herself as Trudy! Who needs to be Gertrude?! (Okay, that's just a nit I needed to pick. Don't mind me!)

Giving a shoutout to the tremendous work done by Mary Hollis Inboden as Patty. That's a tough role to play, the sidekick with so much repression and guilt and failing to live up to family expectations (however unreasonable they may be), and MHI developed the character beautifully over two seasons. Patty needs a hug!

Edited by attica
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
On 10/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, attica said:

Giving a shoutout to the tremendous work done by Mary Hollis Inboden as Patty. That's a tough role to play, the sidekick with so much repression and guilt and failing to live up to family expectations (however unreasonable they may be), and MHI developed the character beautifully over two seasons. Patty needs a hug!

In a lot of ways, I felt like the finale was almost more about her finding her way than Allison (or anyone else). 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I kind of think that killing Kevin in the fire was the cheap way out.  They did not have to deal with any fall out of Allison leaving him or of her attempt (initially) of trying to kill him.  Oh well.

I think with the decision not to go another season that was the best we were going to get

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Did Kevin die at all? If Kevin did not die, that could be the biggest 'fuck you' Kevin gave Allison. Allison asked for a divorce, Kevin burned their marital home down, so Allison did not get anything from the divorce. Insurance would not pay as it was deliberate.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2022 at 9:49 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Did Kevin die at all? If Kevin did not die, that could be the biggest 'fuck you' Kevin gave Allison. Allison asked for a divorce, Kevin burned their marital home down, so Allison did not get anything from the divorce. Insurance would not pay as it was deliberate.

I think he died but whether he did or not the point was they were all done with him, even his supposed long time best friend. If he lives he has no one around with him. 

• Like 1

That just... sucked. Incredibly anti climatic and unsatisfying. 

They had about 4 episodes of material this season stretched over 8. I haven't said this about a slow in a looong time, but I regret wasting my time on it.

• Like 2

I just saw clips of this online and wow what a waste of a show this was. Utter nonsense and in the end turned out to be pointless as well, she was not even really abused.

• Like 1