Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Welcome to the Ballgame

• Start Topic

When Malcolm treats Calvin, Dave, Gemma and Grover to VIP tickets to a Dodgers game, the outing isn’t quite a home run. Also, Marty’s movie night with fiancée Necie goes sideways when Tina decides to join.

Airdate: 10/03/2022

LOL at Marty trying to watch Star Wars with Tina and Necie.  I love Star Wars, and I also agree that you need to start with the original (which was not Episode 4 when it first came out in 1977!).  And possibly ignore 1-3.  But Marty shouldn't be quoting Yoda if they're only watching the first one.

I actually hate Necie's top.  I just don't like that pink/green combo -- never have.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

how old is Grover?  Because based on this episode, I would guess 8 absolute tops, but I'm pretty sure he's older.

He was acting like he was 2.  The  "actor" is 12.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Why did Dave keep taking Grover with him every time Grover wanted something? He should have left him to watch the game at least some of the time

Enjoyable, funny, chaotic episode. The back and forth between Calvin and Malcolm and Malcolm’s ticked off old girlfriend in the cars was pretty funny

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Why did Dave keep taking Grover with him every time Grover wanted something? He should have left him to watch the games at least some of the time

I was thinking he should have just given Grover the money to get what he wanted so he could watch the game.  Or, just told him to wait.   1 food run in the middle of the game and then a couple of bathroom breaks should have been it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mary K said:

He was acting like he was 2.  The  "actor" is 12.

There have been a couple of references to him having crushes on girls so I think the actor and character are around the same age. I think Grover was 7 or 8 when the show started.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I actually hate Necie's top.  I just don't like that pink/green combo -- never have.

I wondered if the character or actress was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. Those are their colors.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I wondered if the character or actress was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. Those are their colors.

Oooh, good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  Still doesn't make me like that color combo, though!

I love Necie's hair in this episode.  I also loved that while she was bonding with Tina over their mutual failure to grok Marty's Star Wars passion, Necie ultimately came down solidly to Marty's side.  She might not understand him, but she certainly understands he needs her love and support, and she's giving that to him.  I was afraid this show would go the route of Tina and Necie teaming up to tease nerdy Marty and make him the butt of all the (sometimes cruel) jokes.  This show does a better job than most at not descending into insult comedy, and everybody kind of takes their turn in the barrel at being the object of teasing.

I think Gemma was the only one who enjoyed the ballgame.  And she got to enjoy it twice.  Once to appreciate the game itself, and again when she proved that mom skills were necessary to a good time.

• Love 5

I'm an outlier as I don't mind Grover and I don't think the actor is bad. I think he acts age appropriate, I believe the character is supposed to be preteen, so 11-12 and that behavior seems like a preteen who's been pretty indulged and sheltered. 

I just can't believe Calvin got a new truck!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I loved that Gemma was off-duty. "Mom's not here. My name is Gemma and I'm drinking beer". Dave is shown to be an involved parent but this did a great job of highlighting all the extra stuff "mom" usually gets saddled with. I don't think Grover's neediness or boundary pushing was over the top, either. Mom would have shut that down but mom's not here, let's see what dad will let me get away with.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode, especially Necie's support of Marty. 

I liked Calvin's telling Malcolm to just stay quiet and take it and that ghosting is nothing new, just a new label.

I thought Grover was over the top, at first he was just messing with Dave, but yeah that should have been shut down a lot sooner.

• Love 1

I can't stand Grover.  The way he was acting was not like any 12 year old I know,  it was more like a toddler.  12 year olds understand the concept of waiting for an inning to end.   And I thought it was unfair that Dave didn't get to be the parent with Gemma sitting right there being smug, it seems like anything he might have done to shut down Grover's behavior would have met with disapproval from Gemma.  Lol, no I didn't enjoy that part of the episode. 

Always enjoy Marty and Necie though. 

• Love 2

Grover rarely makes me laugh but he had some funny lines this time, even with his terrible line readings. I still think he should be recast though.

The Star Wars viewing was the highlight of the show - Marty almost always makes me laugh. 

• Love 3
On 10/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, mansonlamps said:

it seems like anything he might have done to shut down Grover's behavior would have met with disapproval from Gemma.

I think that's unfair to Gemma.  Dave didn't do anything except cater to Grover's every whim.  Which Gemma didn't do anything to stop even though she knew that was going to end badly. She kept her word of not interfering.

• Love 4