Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: The Devil You Know

jewel21
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Redrum said:

You know... speaking as someone who's done this with an elderly parent, it rang true. In my case, I had traveled cross country to assist the living parent with the deceased parent's business and financial affairs. However I could only go into the deceased parent's office and look thru paperwork if the living parent was available to sit in the room and watch me.... and they had lots of other things going on, or were tired, or were "not ready" to deal with things. As much as I wanted to be sensitive to their feelings, I was burning thru my vacation time to help out. I started getting things sorted etc while living parent was out and got soundly yelled at for "being sneaky" and "dishonest".... and meanwhile there were a ton of financial decisions that had to be made. In the show situation, Bobby and Athena are assholes for wanting to get the porch area fixed because its not their house so leaving the place open to the elements until Mom is ready to cope is wise? Bobby at the desk was going thru papers to see if he could clear the dad of a murder charge.... is he less of an ass if he let's the sick old man go to prison rather than violate the office space?

These aren't easy decisions to make.

I'm sure this is how the writers intended the viewers to interpret Bobby's and Athena's actions.

• Thanks 1

Joanne never realizing that senior’s truck was the one that made the pop pop pop sound until Bobby, who heard it once, pointed it out to her is ridiculous as you all stated, but one thing I don’t think was explained was why that truck was rolling up on the girls at the party in the first place?  Junior was already there.

That cop who drove young Joanne home was awfully nice for a Florida cop in the 70’s.

My mom has lived in the same house since 1974 and has had the same neighbor since 1980.  It happens.

• Like 2

I liked this episode, especially the flashback with little Athena and her parents. But I thought it would have been better if they hadn't made Junior's dad an accomplice in the murder of a little girl. They could have just as easily said that Junior had access to the truck and helped his dad with construction and new how to pour concrete. It seemed unnecessary to make it that the old guy was in on the crime and kept it secret for years too.

And yes maintaining that vintage truck for decades but not actually fixing the backfiring was stupid.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 10/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, Lukeysboat said:

I like Bobby and I thought him rifling through his father-in-law’s papers without talking to Athena first was very out of character. 

I can imagine Bobby thinking that Athena would want to prove her father innocent, and then Bobby deciding to go through family papers (in hopes of exonerating her dad) without Athena knowing so that the wrath of her mom at the "snooping" would fall only on him. That would be in character for Bobby——willing to risk his own reputation to save someone (although usually he's saving them physically). 
👆This all refers to the Bobby we know *after* he accidentally set his first family on fire while he was drunk.
And it would also be in Bobby's character to not explain to Athena why he didn't get her involved in looking through the records, because it would amount to making himself out to be her savior, and he wouldn't do that either. 
But we didn't see or hear any of this explanation.
Probably they just wanted us to feel and sympathize with Athena's outrage at Bobby going through the papers.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2022 at 8:11 AM, Redrum said:

I was genuinely amazed he was speaking and aware of his surroundings and able to ask for his daughter. 

Not the point of the story at all, but who leaves a message along the lines of "come right away to the hospital" and doesn't take three seconds to add "your dad woke up"?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2022 at 3:01 AM, CoderLady said:

I'll admit it: I'm apparently the target audience for this, because Athena going full warrior on some miscreant is always really satisfying to me. I even savor the aftermath moments when she's just two seconds away from chewing some fucker's face off but manages to restrain herself.

To me a whole episode of Athena and Bobby solving a crime was a rare treat, but YMMV. I'm ready to get back to the 118, though.

Agreed on all of this. And when 911 ends, I admit I would be up for a spin-off of The Bobby and Athena Private Detective Agency. 😆

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 10/3/2022 at 8:02 PM, Crashcourse said:

And Bobby really got on my damn nerves sitting at Athen's father's desk and going through his stuff.  This is not his house.   

I’ve spoken many times about my dislike for Bobby and this scene did nothing to change that. He should have spoken to Athena before rifling through papers that were none of his business. And then Athena telling him you never know what a person is capable of all I could think was “yeah like that time Bobby killed a bunch of people living in his building”. At least Bobby had the decency to look uncomfortable by that comment.

Even so, I really enjoyed this episode. I’m glad they didn’t try and jump back and forth to whatever was happening back at the 118 and focused solely on this story for the episode. It was really well done. 

• Love 1
On 10/10/2022 at 10:33 PM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

Not the point of the story at all, but who leaves a message along the lines of "come right away to the hospital" and doesn't take three seconds to add "your dad woke up"?

My mother. My dad's in the hospital right now and she left me a message at 5:30 in the morning saying, "Call me right away. It's about your father." Turns out he was kicking up a fuss about using the bedpan. I was like, MOM FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!! 😱

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3

I'm sorry to hear about your father's hospitalization and the difficult situation you're going through right now. It's completely understandable to feel frustrated and overwhelmed by your mother's early morning message about your father's bedpan situation. It's important to remember that everyone handles stressful situations differently and sometimes emotions can get the best of us.

If you haven't already, I would suggest reaching out to your mother to discuss how you're feeling and try to work through any communication issues that may have arisen. On http://essaypapers.reviews/ I read that it's important to remember that your mother is likely also experiencing a lot of stress and worry during this time, so approaching the situation with empathy and understanding can help improve the situation.

In the meantime, try to take care of yourself as well. It's important to prioritize your own mental and emotional health during difficult times. Consider reaching out to a trusted friend or family member for support, or even seeking professional help if you feel overwhelmed.

Edited by NicholasJones
  • Hugs 2