Type keyword(s) to search

The Empress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I saw this advertised as "If you like Bridgerton", it is not like Bridgerton. Bridgerton has a lot of lightness and humor. I watched the first episode and it is very heavy and dark. Debating if I want to watch more. 

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I saw this advertised as "If you like Bridgerton", it is not like Bridgerton. Bridgerton has a lot of lightness and humor. I watched the first episode and it is very heavy and dark. Debating if I want to watch more. 

I am sorry for you for the advertisement was completely false: Bridgerton is a Regency romance in an alternative universe, The Empress is a drama about (mostly) real historical characters, although much is of course fiction. It could be perhaps compared with The Crown (Elisabeth is like Diana) or The Tudors.

I rather liked because it isn't childish like Victoria. Also the people's want to freedom was described (it begins only a few years after "the crazy year" 1848 when rebellions were crushed). 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I am sorry for you for the advertisement was completely false: Bridgerton is a Regency romance in an alternative universe, The Empress is a drama about (mostly) real historical characters, although much is of course fiction. It could be perhaps compared with The Crown (Elisabeth is like Diana) or The Tudors.

I rather liked because it isn't childish like Victoria. Also the people's want to freedom was described (it begins only a few years after "the crazy year" 1848 when rebellions were crushed). 

I knew much of her story (my parents bought me a biography when they were in Europe) so I guess I should have known better. 

Edited by libgirl2

I suspect they advertised it as "like Bridgerton" because they're depicting it as starting out as a love story between Franz and Elizabeth and it's historical. But, not having seen the Crown, that's probably a better comparison.

20 hours ago, shipmate said:

Are more seasons planned?

I thought I saw it billed as a Limited Series on Netflix (don't quote me on that, though).  However, given that this is the second most popular show on US Netflix (somewhat of a feat for a non-English or non-Spanish TV show), and given how it ended, I wouldn't be surprised to have more seasons.  There's a lot of story left to tell.

I wish they hadn't made the youngest brother so young because there's interesting story with him too that is somewhat hampered by the choice to make him a child. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Thank goodness it wasn’t anything like Bridgerton or I would have bailed. I wasn’t familiar with this tale but I thoroughly enjoyed and definitely interested in learning more about this time period. The acting was superb and the dubbing was top notch. I’ll watch it in German next. 
I really hope it gets renewed and they certainly left the door open for that. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I suspect they advertised it as "like Bridgerton" because they're depicting it as starting out as a love story between Franz and Elizabeth and it's historical. 

In three movies starring Romy Schneider. Sissi (1955), Sissi – The Young Empress (1956) and Sissi – Fateful Years of an Empress (1957) were sentimentally romantical.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Thank goodness it wasn’t anything like Bridgerton or I would have bailed. I wasn’t familiar with this tale but I thoroughly enjoyed and definitely interested in learning more about this time period. The acting was superb and the dubbing was top notch. I’ll watch it in German next. 
I really hope it gets renewed and they certainly left the door open for that. 

I agree with you on every point*, most especially about the dubbing, as it was done so seamlessly that I forgot to even notice it. I've come across far too many badly dubbed and therefore unwatchable Netflix series recently so this was a pleasant surprise.  I was also unfamiliar with this story so the stellar writing, acting and phenomenal production values had me glued to my tv.  The wedding episode was so beautifully shot; particularly in the way they used the lighting to capture the details of Elisabeth's gown as she swished about the palace.  

The two main leads were compelling to watch thanks to their very expressive faces which is what I need in order to get lost into period pieces.  Lead actress Devrim Lingnau (Elisabeth) has a very early Jennifer Lawrence - Malin Akerman quality to her face and Philip Froissant (Franz) was giving me occasional Josh Harnett vibes.

* (except the watching it in german next part, lol) 

• Love 7

I binged over several days and enjoyed it. I did FF through the soapier stuff, not to mention the war stuff - my brain has had enough of war and politics for now.

The lead has a natural acting style (and face and body) that are a nice counterpoint to much of the manufactured drivel that is produced these days.

I'm curious as to what other viewers thought about the royal women's fashion. Was it historically accurate, or did the director and customer designer take liberties? Those huge statement necklaces looked like something the real housewives were wearing five years ago.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
On 10/3/2022 at 1:01 AM, Roseanna said:

In three movies starring Romy Schneider. Sissi (1955), Sissi – The Young Empress (1956) and Sissi – Fateful Years of an Empress (1957) were sentimentally romantical.

I saw bits of them. Yes, there are. 

• Love 1
On 10/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

The acting was superb and the dubbing was top notch.

I think it was one of the best dubbing jobs I have ever seen/heard!  

Basically this is the Austrian/German version of Victoria...but I thought it was better overall.  She had another 40 years or so that could be covered in additional series.  I'd watch them. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:55 AM, pasdetrois said:

I'm curious as to what other viewers thought about the royal women's fashion. Was it historically accurate, or did the director and customer designer take liberties?

I'd lean toward the designer taking liberties.  There were a few things that didn't seem accurate.  The dress and cape she was wearing in the last episode for instance.  There were also a couple of others I remember thinking didn't seem to jive with the time period.

I usually cant abide dubbing - this was done so well!!

On 10/6/2022 at 10:46 PM, ichbin said:

I think it was one of the best dubbing jobs I have ever seen/heard!  

Basically this is the Austrian/German version of Victoria...but I thought it was better overall.  She had another 40 years or so that could be covered in additional series.  I'd watch them. 

I'd lean toward the designer taking liberties.  There were a few things that didn't seem accurate.  The dress and cape she was wearing in the last episode for instance.  There were also a couple of others I remember thinking didn't seem to jive with the time period.

I was ALL ABOUT the costumes but had several times where I thought , that's way too modern. - The wedding gown sheer top w aplique lace was one - and the netted top she wore to the Maximillian Rave party. But wow what a feast for the eyes!

The evil  lass's maid's hairdos cracked me up.

I want Season 2!! 

• Love 2

I'm curious as to what other viewers thought about the royal women's fashion. Was it historically accurate, or did the director and customer designer take liberties? Those huge statement necklaces looked like something the real housewives were wearing five years ago.

The designer definitely took liberties.  It reminded me of the costumes from the stylized remake of Anna Karenina with Keira Knightly, with 1950's elements mixed in with Victorian fashion.  The necklines with the fabric raised and draped around the shoulders and the huge, chunky jewelry was very 1950's, and Sisi's wedding gown with the applique lace could have stepped out of one of today's wedding fashion magazines.  And when her sister cut her hair and was wearing that awful wig...I'm pretty sure the real Helene would not have been caught dead at court looking like that. And what was that weird dance the court did at the wedding? Was it supposed to symbolize how predatory the court was, or was Sisi visualizing something that wasn't even happening because of her internal turmoil over suddenly being married to the Emperor? It was not a life she was well suited for and really had no idea what she was getting into. 

I'm not sure why a lot of costume dramas don't want to use historically accurate costumes, I think because they are afraid modern audiences wouldn't think the actors are attractive in 100% accurate Victorian fashions and hair or won't connect to the story.  Personally I love the dresses from the 1850's and the modern elements are distracting and take me right out of the story.

My husband and I went to Vienna last year and visited the Sisi museum at the Hofburg Palace, and I have read a couple biographies of her.  I have always found her fascinating and tragic, and I think the show is pretty well done if a bit over the top in some ways.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2022 at 4:25 AM, Cementhead said:

Philip Froissant (Franz) was giving me occasional Josh Harnett vibes

That's what it was! I couldn't put my finger on the familiarity I felt for the actor. Lol. Thank you!

I enjoyed it but it's really a work of fiction. I can dig a work of fiction but I don't like that it's sort of portrayed differently. 

• Love 1

I'm 3 episodes in and...Idk why they felt they needed to add stuff to the story. The real-life drama is more compelling. Also, Helene's bob hairstyle was giving me 90's grunge, and felt way out of place. 

• Love 2
On 10/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, Goshengir1 said:

The designer definitely took liberties.  It reminded me of the costumes from the stylized remake of Anna Karenina with Keira Knightly, with 1950's elements mixed in with Victorian fashion.  The necklines with the fabric raised and draped around the shoulders and the huge, chunky jewelry was very 1950's, and Sisi's wedding gown with the applique lace could have stepped out of one of today's wedding fashion magazines.  And when her sister cut her hair and was wearing that awful wig...I'm pretty sure the real Helene would not have been caught dead at court looking like that. And what was that weird dance the court did at the wedding? Was it supposed to symbolize how predatory the court was, or was Sisi visualizing something that wasn't even happening because of her internal turmoil over suddenly being married to the Emperor? It was not a life she was well suited for and really had no idea what she was getting into. 

I'm not sure why a lot of costume dramas don't want to use historically accurate costumes, I think because they are afraid modern audiences wouldn't think the actors are attractive in 100% accurate Victorian fashions and hair or won't connect to the story.  Personally I love the dresses from the 1850's and the modern elements are distracting and take me right out of the story.

My husband and I went to Vienna last year and visited the Sisi museum at the Hofburg Palace, and I have read a couple biographies of her.  I have always found her fascinating and tragic, and I think the show is pretty well done if a bit over the top in some ways.

Yes that dance was sooooo strange lol , and that one ladies hairdo is bizaree. Was she trying to kiss the emporors mother? Very wierd scene

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well, this was visually stunning!  The dresses, jewelry and palaces certainly kept my attention.  Unfortunately, I can't say as much for the plot.  If this were a regular, US based series, with 10+ episodes per season, then we'd be right where we need to be at Episode 6, with Sisi meeting the people.  But that's the end, and if there is a second season it probably won't be for another year.  It just seems to be a weird place to end it, and they took up a lot of time with not much happening.  If I knew there would be another 6 (or more!) episodes starting up after the holidays, I'd probably feel differently.  But it just seems that someone gave us 1/2 a show. 

The whole bit with the sister, and her cutting her hair and spending the next few episodes in a horrible and not at all era-appropriate long bob with bangs was just a waste of time.  The assassination sub plot also was a lot of build up for nothing.  Sisi was essentially the original "people's princess", and I thought we'd get to see that a lot more than the few crumbs fed to us. 

I'll watch if it comes back, but I hate that I have to wait so long for it.  I went back and forth on the first few episodes between captions and dubbing, and I settled on dubbed episodes for the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I did see it will get a second season 

https://netflixlife.com/2022/11/08/empress-renewed-second-season-netflix/

I do wish this show was better. The casting of Sissi and Franz is good, they do have good chemistry and Sophie seems spot on. She seems to have learned the wrong lessons from the 1848 revolutions which seems accurate. I like that Franz at least is trying for a few new things it'll be interesting to see depending on how many seasons we get if they show him becoming the ruler who refuses to change anything. As a young new emperor it makes sense he would be more interested although he doesn't go to far since he won't actually see his people and he listens way too much to his mother who isn't as right as she thinks she is. 

The clothes and sets were good but I really wish the clothes were more historically correct. I'll never understand why period shows won't do that. The time period there were a lot of really beautiful dresses especially what Sissi wore. I knew it wouldn't be as good as the three Sissi movies with the beautiful Romy Schneider in how I really wish things went for Sissi and Franz. The sets were beautiful the gowns especially Sissi's were beautiful and Franz was so supportive of Sissi.

The coup was a good idea except that it was spearheaded by Max who very clearly is an idiot.  I can't see anyone following him he would be a disaster as a ruler. I really wish he had more depth. Mostly he was an asshole. Even learning he destroyed two sisters only saddens him for a moment and his back to his asshole ways. 

I do like the scene when Sissi finally says to Franz when he's mad at her for not following rules that he should have married Helene if that's what he wanted. He didn't. He married Sissi because she wasn't the proper princess. I don't like how Sissi doesn't explain things while at the same time no one listens to her. That incident at the factory she saw how terrible the conditions were but doesn't say anything to Franz or that she gave her shoes to a girl who had none.

I really wish this show was better.  

• Love 1