Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Driftmark

• Start Topic

Daemon did give Qarl the trust fund money, so I think they all knew about it. I also don't think Rhaenyra has it in her to kill Laenor. They seemed to be very good friends. Not lovers of course, but there's genuine affection and trust there.

And honestly, I'm happy for Laenor and Qarl. Laenor might be the closest thing we have to a mensch on this show, and I'm glad he and Qarl rode off in the sunset.

Alicent's kids are psychos, all of them. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 17
20 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I figured Rheanyra and Leanor plotted to fake his death. He said he was ashamed of who he is and she said he shouldn't be. Then Daemon told Qarl about a place where you can be who ever you want as long as you have gold. For me it looks like she used Daemon to give the gold to Qarl and they had already planned how to fake his death. Their dialogue seemed rehearsed and fake. Only Rheanyra, Leanor and Qarl know the truth.

Rheanyra loves her uncle more ways than 1, but she knows he's not trustworthy. So it's better for him to believe she's has dastardly as he is. 

Daemon also knows, doesn’t he? Wasn’t Daemon the one who killed the guard that was stuffed into the fire place?

• Like 9
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Great episode. Was the screen so dark as to be inscrutable for much of the beach/dragon scene?

it was supposed to be night.

39 minutes ago, peridot said:

Alicent's sons are such assholes.  I couldn't believe that Aegon was yawning and getting drunk at a funeral, while Aemond was scheming to get a dragon and punching his cousins.  I'm glad that one of Daemon's daughters (Baela?) got in a punch.

Baela punched first

6 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Aemond did start it, by stealing a dragon.  How are they not personal property?  They are like modern day horses, dogs, or other pets.  Vhagar was Laena's dragon.  She was the only one that had been able to ride her.  Targaryan's are given dragon eggs at birth - they belong to each other. 

Actually no.  Dragons choose their riders. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I'm glad they planned an escape for Laenor, I think if they had ploted his death, it would've been the one thing I think would've made her unforgivable....

Also half the episode felt like it was directed by the same director as episode 803......so dark....

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

Given that Daemon has two children and has now been seen onscreen having sex with Rhaenyra, what was the point of the impotence implications of the first few episodes?

That he knew it was wrong.

• Like 3

I thought it was telling Alicent screamed "Where is duty? Where is sacrifice?" If she weren't so loathsome I'd feel bad for her. She's colored within the lines her whole life and all it's gotten her is sex with a guy whose skin is rotting off and three psycho kids. Her totally weak, ineffectual husband nevertheless always summons up enough strength to ignore her demands. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Since Rhaenyra and Leanor seemed to have an honest open relationship. It is reasonable to think they planned everything. I suppose Daemon was in on it and the whole thing with Qarl was for others to see him talking to someone, then "killing" Leanor. 

Rhaenyra wants the realm to believe her capable of killing anyone that gets in her way.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

One of the things I wish they'd show more of is the Alicent/Viserys relationship after the time jump. It's obviously not a good marriage anymore, since Viserys shuts down her demands. But before the time jump Viserys was still besotted enough to want sex every night, and now it's like they barely tolerate each other.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Aemond did start it, by stealing a dragon.  How are they not personal property?  They are like modern day horses, dogs, or other pets.  Vhagar was Laena's dragon.  She was the only one that had been able to ride her.  Targaryan's are given dragon eggs at birth - they belong to each other. 

That's simply not accurate.

The clear implication from Laena's talk with Rhaena in the previous episode is that dragons are not personal property and that Vhagar wasn't Laena's dragon since Vhagar's birth

Laena (to Rhaena): There is more than one way to bind yourself to a dragon. I was without one until I was 15 years old and now I ride Vhagar, the largest in the world. You have a harder road. Baela's dragon was born to her. But if you wish to be a rider, you must claim that right. Your father would tell you the same.

And if Vhagar was Laena dragon since Vhagar birth, it's kind of odd Laena had no idea where Vhagar was in Episode 2 and Viserys described Vhagar as too large for the dragonpit.

But that's because we know Vhagar was one of the three dragons during Aegon's Conquest, sand therefore Laena couldn't have been the only one to ride Vhagar.

Tywin: That's why every child alive still knows his name 300 years after his death.

Arya: Aegon and his sisters.

Tywin: Mm?

Arya: It wasn't just Aegon riding his dragon. It was Rhaenys and Visenya, too.

Tywin: Correct. A student of history, are you?

Arya: Rhaenys rode Meraxes. Visenya rode Vhagar.

Game of Thrones Season 2 Episode 7

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

One of the things I wish they'd show more of is the Alicent/Viserys relationship after the time jump. It's obviously not a good marriage anymore, since Viserys shuts down her demands. But before the time jump Viserys was still besotted enough to want sex every night, and now it's like they barely tolerate each other.

He now understands that he was manipulated into marrying her.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

Exactly. Aemond was declaring that he was going to feed Rhaena and Luke to his dragon. He has no one to blame but himself for what happened to him. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I suppose he did seem to realize that by the end when he accepted he'd lost the eye but gained Vhagar. 

An unnecessary loss. He didn't have to lose an eye. He didn't have to hurl insults. He didn't have to get into a fight.

He could have had the dragon and both of his eyes. He was feeling himself, he had been bullied for not having a dragon, and this was his chance to be the bully and offer someone else a pig.

• Like 7
  • Love 12

It just occurred to me that Aemond said to Aegon “that’s your future Queen”, so clearly he knows they want to put his brother on the throne??

The hatred has definitely passed to the children. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, The Kings Foot said:

Actually no.  Dragons choose their riders. 

Which brings up a whole nother issue. Whats gonna happen to laenors dragon? Dont imagine he has use for a dragon anymore and he cant go around riding one if he wants to stay hidden

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

It just occurred to me that Aemond said to Aegon “that’s your future Queen”, so clearly he knows they want to put his brother on the throne??

Isn't she betrothed to Rhaenyra's son, who is next in line after Rhaenyra? That's what I thought he meant by "future queen."

I recall Rhaenyra offering to marry her son to Alicent's daughter, but I really do not recall if they took Rhaenyra up on that offer.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think he hesitated only because Viserys and the rest of the Kingsguard were there. If it was just him, Alicent, Rhaenyra, and the kids I think he'd have done it the asshole.

Yeah, I think even if the Queen is telling you to do something, if the king is telling you not to, you might want to think twice.

Especially if the Queen is Alicent, because she sucks.

6 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

An unnecessary loss. He didn't have to lose an eye. He didn't have to hurl insults. He didn't have to get into a fight.

He could have had the dragon and both of his eyes. He was feeling himself, he had been bullied for not having a dragon, and this was his chance to be the bully and offer someone else a pig.

Exactly. It wasn’t that he claimed the dragon.

He then taunted and bullied Daemon’s girls (who had just lost their mother), hurled insults, and PICKED UP A ROCK. Yeah Baela through the first punch but he started the shit, and picked up a rock threatening to bash his nephew’s head in. Had Aemond just said “the dragon is mine” there may have been a tussle but no weapons drawn. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Rhaena said "you stole my dragon." Aemond called them bastards and all sorts of names and threatened them with a rock. It's kind of not the same thing.

Go back and watch the scene.

The 4 other kids threw Aemond to the ground and punched him multiple times simultaneously. Aemond didn't grab a rock until to defend himself. after he was able to free himself and stand back up.

So it's only not the same thing for those who think Jace, Luke, Baela and Rhaena are entitled to do whatever they want and Aemond has to take a beating.

As for Aemond calling Jace and Luke bastards he did that after he was off the floor after he'd been repeatedly attacked. Plus there's this thing about Aemond telling the truth. Nor can Jace complain and unsheath a dagger as he did  since he previously told his mother "We should be at Harrenhal, mourning Lord Lyonel and Ser Harwin."

• Like 2
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Isn't she betrothed to Rhaenyra's son, who is next in line after Rhaenyra? That's what I thought he meant by "future queen."

I recall Rhaenyra offering to marry her son to Alicent's daughter, but I really do not recall if they took Rhaenyra up on that offer.

Aegon is betrothed to his sister Heleana. That is why they were looking at her being weird talking to bugs. He said he had nothing in common with her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I thought it was telling Alicent screamed "Where is duty? Where is sacrifice?" If she weren't so loathsome I'd feel bad for her. She's colored within the lines her whole life and all it's gotten her is sex with a guy whose skin is rotting off and three psycho kids. Her totally weak, ineffectual husband nevertheless always summons up enough strength to ignore her demands. 

I mentioned that last episode. 

Look, I’m not upset she was mad her son lost an eye- anyone would be, but he wasn’t innocently sleeping and the other kids came after him. He started it with the insults, kept it up, and got played. Period. He was an evil little shit to the kids that didn’t do anything to him. Of course the girls were upset that he was riding their mother’s dragon, but Baela didn’t punch him until he started the taunting. 

Alicent is upset that she’s followed all the rules and has “nothing” (besides her kids) and Rhaenyra has only done what she has wanted and has “everything.”

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10

This was my favorite episode by far. The nearly silent funeral reception was awesome. Getting to see the same child actors for two eps helped too. 

Aemon looks so much like that Harry Potter slytherian kid....But he feels gray to me in a good way. He's determined and unpleasant but he was definitely an outsider among the kids. The girls barely know Jace but they knew to go find him when they got worried about the dragon.

Okay, sex at a funeral. I am going to assume it took a few weeks to get home, maybe a month. So it's not like they had sex on their cold bodies (like Jaime and Cersei did after their son died).

The chemistry is not as strong but they're both adults and parents now. Middle-aged  sex is just different (I joke...she is 28 on the show now, right?).

I like that Emma seems almost as tall as Matt Smith. They make a striking pair. And Emma is so good at reaction shots and listening. They have a watchful quality I appreciate.  Still, I might have just started the series with the adult versions. 

Alicent has a magnificent mane of hair! To keep that curl in sea air! Magic.

Ser Cole can STILL die please. Soon. Meh.

It was neat seeing the dragons just floating around the castle. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Go back and watch the scene.

The 4 other kids threw Aemond to the ground and punched him multiple times simultaneously. Aemond didn't grab a rock until to defend himself. after he was able to free himself and stand back up.

So it's only not the same thing for those who think Jace, Luke, Baela and Rhaena are entitled to do whatever they want and Aemond has to take a beating.

As for Aemond calling Jace and Luke bastards he did that after he was off the floor after he'd been repeatedly attacked. Plus there's this thing about Aemond telling the truth. Nor can Jace complain and unsheath a dagger as he did  since he previously told his mother "We should be at Harrenhal, mourning Lord Lyonel and Ser Harwin."

If I recall correctly Aemond got punched after he told Baela to go ride a pig. The girl just lost her Mom, he was being a total asshole for no reason. 

Just now, Sakura12 said:

I did. Rhaena says you stole my mother's dragon. Aemond said the dragon is his a and told her maybe she could get a pig, it suits her. So he insulted her first. A girl that just lost her mother. He was all high from claiming a dragon and wanted to bully someone else. 

Yup. Which was fucking dumb because there were four of them and one of him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

No the boys slipped up. Aemon said he would do his duty if needed while Aegon looked squicked out. Aegon may be feckless and horny but he seems fundamentally okay. Not power mad like the middle brother.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Look, I’m not upset she was mad her son lost an eye- anyone would be, but he wasn’t innocently sleeping and the other kids came after him. He started it with the insults, kept it up, and got played. Period. He was an evil little shit to the kids that didn’t do anything to him. Of course the girls were upset that he was riding their mother’s dragon, but Baela didn’t punch him until he started the taunting. 

...and the boys jumped in to defend the girls. Sure, the girls pushed and punched Aemond first, but when Aemond punched Baela to the ground, Rhaenyra's boys came in to defend the girls.

3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yup. Which was fucking dumb because there were four of them and one of him. 

In his mind, it was him and a dragon. He threatened to feed them to the dragon.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 4
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

So he insulted her first.

Actually they insulted Aemond first by insinuating he was a thief, which was a bare faced lie. He responded with another insult, they responded with violence.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

He threatened to feed them to the dragon.

Yes he did. Which was a cruel thing to do given their mother died by dragon fire (her choice yes, but he was acting maliciously there because he could). 

• Sad 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Actually they insulted Aemond first by insinuating he was a thief, which was a bare faced lie. He responded with another insult, they responded with violence.

I wouldn't exactly consider "Vhagar is my mother's dragon" or that the dragon was Rhaena's to claim an insult, at least not something worthy of responding that a pig suits them better.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 11

Glad to see that funerals in Westeros can get just as depressingly awkward as some can in real life.  People uncomfortably milling around, gossiping about others, and giving each other stare-downs.  Someone taking way too much advantage of the free booze.  Parents having to tell their kids to be nice and offer support to their grieving cousins.  Lots of cold shoulders.  And the always classic "making bedroom eyes at your uncle" moment (wait...)  In all seriousness, the whole thing might have been one of my favorite scenes out of the entire show.  So much was being said with very few words and it was damn near perfect.  All the actors delivered here.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself for not seeing the twist coming until near the end.  I honestly thought that Rhaenyra was going to cross that line just to solidify her position (and get Daemon.)  Glad that wasn't the case and Laenor is actually sailing off with Qarl to parts unknown.  Leaving me in the classic spot where I hope I don't ever see him again despite kind of liking him, because I want someone; anyone; to actually get a happy ending here.  Feel sad for Corlys and Rhaenys though.

Aegon might be still be a creepy asshole, but Aemond's starting to be the one that is really kind of scaring me.  And now he doesn't just have a dragon, but a big ass one!  Also got to give him his due: he managed to outfight four others at the same time, until finally getting his face sliced.  Kid is so going to be a problem in the future.

Once again, Alicent might have some legit grievances here, but she seems to make it her mission to go at it the worst way possible.  For the sake of argument, let us say she really didn't believe that it was her son that started the fight (or at least was the first one to introduce a weapon into it with that rock.)  Did she really think that Viserys and everyone else was just going to be down with her taking one of Rhaenyra's children's eyes?  I can see trying to call for some form of punishment, but that shit wasn't going to fly at all.  And then go after one of them herself like a crazy person?  Yeah, you've got issues, Alicent.  A lot of issues.  And that's saying something with this lot.

It's impressive that even though he didn't do too much in this episode, I still want Cole to get smacked every time he popped up on screen.  At least he had the sense not to follow through with Alicent's plan.  Granted, that was probably less due to his morals and more due to Viserys forbidding it and him knowing defying it meant that Harrold would probably go unleash the full might of Graham McTavish on his ass if he stepped out of line.

Despite being different in almost every way, it was interesting watching both Daemon and Otto be the ones to just sit back and watch all the drama unfold.  You know both of them were just assessing the situation for their own gains.

Larys continues to have the amazing ability to actually make me kind of feel for Alicent.  I just like how all of their exchanges tend to end with her making an "I might have made a huge mistake here!" face.

Deep down, I think Viserys is at the point where he wants to die and be free from all of this, but the gods just want him to suffer!

You know you're watching a crazy-ass show when an uncle and his niece tie the knot and it's not anywhere close to the weirdest thing to happen.  Congrats on the marriage, Rhaenyra and Uncle Daemon!  Enjoy the honeymoon!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

So Amond strokes Vhagar a couple of times, mounts her and now she's his bitch?  (no way he hangs on by that rope and survives, his hands would have been ripped up)

Even female dragons prefer assholes?

So this mystical bonding occurs and that's it, there's no such thing as Grand Theft Dragon?  Everyone accepts that she's his now?

I think it's a plot contrivance, because it would be a huge mismatch if the Alicent faction didn't have the biggest dragon of all on their side.

Presumably GRRM wanted to make them a credible threat and he just gave the biggest chess piece on the board to them, to level the playing field, so to speak.

Also, how the hell does Alicent hold the knife at the heir to the crown and not lose her head?  Viserys doesn't have any Henry the 8th in him?  Why would he have Otto back, when he's treasonous against Raynera?

The only way to get Damon out of Switzerland and join Raynera's side is to fake Lanor's death and then incestuous marriage?  Is Raynera going to give birth to more heir, pure Targaryean inbreds?  Or is this marriage only for war alliance and "joy"?

How would the war work?  Raynera would be one of the dragon riders but Alicent doesn't ride, so Raynera would be fighting against her stepbrothers?  And Damon against his nephews Agon and Amond?

• Like 4
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Constantinople said:
13 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

So he insulted her first.

Edited 1 minute ago by

This whole debate is why this ep was good! The grieving girls and boys naturally make us sympathetic.  And they're smaller. But Aemon is  the loner who just did a very brave thing and claimed a dragon. And yes it was four to one although he seemed much bigger than the rest and man he did not hesitate to punch his cousin hard in the face. But he escalated with the rock. We know a rock can kill. But at least one of the girls freaked out when the dagger came out.

All in all, really the kingsguard is totally to blame! 100 percent. The Hound would have stopped that cold. 

3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

It's impressive that even though he didn't do too much in this episode, I still want Cole to get smacked every time he popped up on screen. 

That makes two of us. I was hoping Daemon would shiv him during all the chaos.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, aghst said:

How would the war work?  Raynera would be one of the dragon riders but Alicent doesn't ride, so Raynera would be fighting against her stepbrothers?  And Damon against his nephews Agon and Amond?

The fight would be Rhanerya, her 2 sons, and Daemon & his daughter vs Aegon, Aemond and Haelena (half siblings to Rhanerya- not step siblings). 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The fault lies with all their parents.

Rhaenyra for continuing to have children that had the entire kingdom talking about their parentage.

Laenor for not doing more to fulfill his duty and protect those boys from whispers (e.g. flaunting his relationships so all the court to see).

Alicent for flaming the hostilities between her sons and their nephews

Finally, Viserys for not putting his foot down the first time Alicent demanded to see Rahenyra's first born son to see if he looked like Laenor. He should have made it clear that not only was Rhaenyra was his heir but that Jacaerys in next in line and anyone who would spread any rumors/gossip about his parentage, they would be punished as traitors and then follow through with that.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10

Oh and I love Paddy in this role. Every ep he  is just a bit less substantial.  His arm is fully gone now. His annoyance with his petty family! Yes he is a weak king but it is a great performance and I will miss him when he eventually dies.

It must be hard to play physically declining in every ep. And apparently the funeral reception was one of the first episodes filmed so well done to him for balancing that journey. It's a great physical performance. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9

Otto wants his grandson on the throne. Viserys wants Rhaenyra to succeed him, and Rhaenyra seemingly wants to Viserys' successor.

I believed young Alicent when she said doesn't wish for her child to replace Rhaenyra as heir to the throne. Adult Alicent seems now seems to believe that Rhaenyra is unworthy of the throne by Rhaenyra's own actions. However, her own sons are not any better and she seems to know that her sons are fucking idiots.

3 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

Oh and I love Paddy in this role. Every ep he  is just a bit less substantial.  His arm is fully gone now. His annoyance with his petty family! Yes he is a weak king but it is a great performance and I will miss him when he eventually dies.

It must be hard to play physically declining in every ep. And apparently the funeral reception was one of the first episodes filmed so well done to him for balancing that journey. It's a great physical performance. 

Why is Viserys not dead yet?

• Love 4