Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Driftmark

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

As the families gather on Driftmark for a funeral, Viserys calls for an end to infighting and Alicent demands justice.

Reminder: 

This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any other spoilers (previews, media articles, etc) and HotD extras (After The Episode, Behind The Scenes, etc) should be in spoiler tags.

Just now, aquarian1 said:

I was so happy to see this because I was like "Dang, Rhaenyra, that's cold!".  I know this is going to get brutal, don't get me wrong.  I just like Laenor, too.  Felt really bad for his family though. 

It was really cold of Rhae. I mean, I know she and Laenor aren't compatible sexually, but they seemed to have a pretty good relationship otherwise. Honestly, in terms of royal marriages it was probably a B+ or A-.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I was so happy to see this because I was like "Dang, Rhaenyra, that's cold!".  I know this is going to get brutal, don't get me wrong.  I just like Laenor, too.  Felt really bad for his family though. 

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It was really cold of Rhae. I mean, I know she and Laenor aren't compatible sexually, but they seemed to have a pretty good relationship otherwise. Honestly, in terms of royal marriages it was probably a B+ or A-.

At this point, Laenor was the only character I was really rooting for, so if we could get a show that followed him and Qarl, I'd be in. I'll still watch, but man, these people are a HOT MESS.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 16

Soo.....hmmm.....

I think Aemond is going to be a better warrior than his brother, took guts to claim Vhagar even though I feel that dragon should've gone to one of Laena's daughters.  Aegon seems to not really care about family legacy and all that, he just wants to get laid whereas Aemond is like " I would do my duty, who cares if our sister-wife is crazy."

Alicent did not come off well in this episode, and eye for an eye for a child when your son started it ~ really!

I didn't appreciate Daemon/Rhaenyra hooking up when his wife isn't even cold in the grave, HATED that - honestly would it have killed them to have him show some affection for his daughters?

So Laenor/Rhaenyra did try but not successful, maybe he is sterile. I also wonder, did he come up with the fake death plot? Was he in on it? I was not happy with Rhaenyra plotting Laenor's death because they seemed to get along but maybe he came up with the idea.

I felt for Rhaenys here, she clearly loved both her children and clearly Corlys cares about his name going down in history, regardless of whether or not his grandsons carries his blood.

I must say, one of Viserys redeeming qualities is his love for Aemma, it's clear he never got over her death.  He is also clearly fully supportive of his daughter.

A

• Like 5
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Vaemond's funeral oration for Laena was as subtle as a freight train.

Dude is getting a bit full of himself there, even if they weren't bastards, Laena's daughters would be ahead of him in the succession.

Laenor evidently not a big fan of his parents.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Dude is getting a bit full of himself there, even if they weren't bastards, Laena's daughters would be ahead of him in the succession.

Laenor evidently not a big fan of his parents.

Vaemond is fine with his nieces because they're Velaryons. Rhaenyra's children are not his blood.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Alicent's sons are such assholes.  I couldn't believe that Aegon was yawning and getting drunk at a funeral, while Aemond was scheming to get a dragon and punching his cousins.  I'm glad that one of Daemon's daughters (Baela?) got in a punch.

Poor Laena, it seemed only her blood family mourned her.  It's pretty terrible that Daemon and Rhaenyra hooked up at her funeral.

I couldn't believe that Viserys didn't do anything to his wife after she ignored his proclamation and attacked his heir.  I was so relieved that none of the other boys had an eye removed.  I was glad that the commander had control enough over Cole to prevent that.

I was shocked that Rhaenyra and Daemon went there, but I'm glad that it was a ruse.  Now, I'm not sure if his boyfriend faked Laenor's death because of his conscience or because of their direction.

Edited by peridot
  • Like 3
  • Love 6

Glad to see Alicent has distanced herself from psycho creep Larys.... oh wait. 

2 minutes ago, dramachick said:

Vaemond is fine with his nieces because they're Velaryons. Rhaenyra's children are not his blood.

As Laenor has claimed them as his own then his uncle ought to do likewise, just like Corlys has. I don't see it being much different from him adopting them - in essence.

• Like 3
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, SilverStormm said:

Glad to see Alicent has distanced herself from psycho creep Larys.... oh wait.

In contrast to the woman who wants her own husband killed.

As Laenor has claimed them as his own then his uncle ought to do likewise, just like Corlys has. I don't see it being much different from him adopting them - in essence.

Except this isn't the 21st century. Even Rhaenys doesn't want Luke to inherit Driftmark.

For that matter even in the 21st century adopted children don't inherit their parents' noble titles.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was wrong last week, but ultimately what corlyss proclaimed makes more sense. All proclaiming Harwins kids as bastards by cutting him out of driftmark would do is put his granddaughters in danger.  No idea why she (or I) was shocked at Corlys's proclamation when he was ready to marry off his 12-year-old daughter to that old man.  That being said, I dont get why he'd give his other bargaining chip to daemon when he got nothing out of that particular arrangement.

Also way to fuck over your top ally rhamon damn. Two kids in one week. Ouch. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Constantinople said:

The one who wasn't killed you mean? The ruse, you mean?

1 minute ago, Constantinople said:

Except this isn't the 21st century. Even Rhaenys doesn't want Luke to inherit Driftmark.

For that matter even in the 21st century adopted children don't inherit their parents' noble titles.

Rhaenys was driven by a desire to honour her daughter, not out of scorn towards a child. I didn't know that about adopted children, seems harsh, huh.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Blood is blood. Rhaenys spoke this truth while Corlys spoke of history. When Corlys is gone, the remaining Velaryons may not be cool with a non-Velaryon being head of their house. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

I think I missed whose idea it was for Laenor and Qarl to nope on out of this insanity to live free in the Free Cities. Did they decide that or was Daemon just not willing to play co-husband?

Daemon and aged up Rhaenyra felt both perfunctory and underwhelming but I'll also be honest that two episodes in the actress really isn't doing much for me. Or maybe it's the character. I wasn't bothered by a teenage princess being completely spoiled and self-absorbed by what I want now now now. It's about what I would expect from a teenager who's been completely catered to the way she has. But older adult Rhaenyra still being that way to the point that she can be outraged just outraged that people have eyes and can clearly see that she's plopped three obvious bastards down in this weirdo family of pale magical inbreds just feels tiresome. It's leading to literal bloodshed and children maiming each other at a family funeral, and quite frankly the only reason she feels like someone I'm maybe supposed to be rooting for is that they've made Alicent and Ser Shit Stirrer even worse by comparison.

Viserys may be completely over this shit but he's responsible for a lot of it by never putting his foot down as their king.  That he couldn't even shut down the ridiculous eye for an eye scene tells you a lot about how ineffective he's been at keeping the peace in his own house.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, dramachick said:

Blood is blood. Rhaenys spoke this truth while Corlys spoke of history. When Corlys is gone, the remaining Velaryons may not be cool with a non-Velaryon being head of their house. 

Whats to stop a pissed off rhaenyra from offing her step children and in laws to keep that secret and inheritance for her kids if they did decide to deny them?

11 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

I don’t think we can assume that current rules apply to Westeros.

1 minute ago, Oscirus said:

Whats to stop a pissed off rhaenyra from offing her step children and in laws to keep that secret and inheritance for her kids if they did decide to deny them?

It's not a secret and there's nothing's stopping her from killing her in-laws and step-children. But then there's Vaemond and any children he might have along with some cousin Velaryons, etc. She can't kill everybody.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

One thing this show is doing that Game Of Thrones didn't is demonstrating how fucked up the Targaryens are. 

Glad Leaner escaped that insanity.

I only wished that he took the boys with him.

That rushed elopement as their combined children watched horrified as this takes place literally days after the funeral.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

Alicent did not come off well in this episode, and eye for an eye for a child when your son started it ~ really!

Aemond was attacked by four people and Baela was the first to throw a punch, yet somehow Aemond started it.

17 minutes ago, peridot said:

...Aemond was scheming to get a dragon and punching his cousins.  I'm glad that one of Daemon's daughters (Baela?) got in a punch.

There's no such thing as "scheming to get a dragon". Dragons aren't personal property.

And Baela didn't get in a punch, she threw the first punch. Yet somehow Aemond's at fault for defending himself.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

You do know this was all a ruse, which they were all in on?   I feel terrible for his parents but other than that - Leonor gets what he wants - to get away from it all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 10
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I think I missed whose idea it was for Laenor and Qarl to nope on out of this insanity to live free in the Free Cities. Did they decide that or was Daemon just not willing to play co-husband?

They never went into detail about how the plan was set up, just that Daemon gave Qarl money for them to fake Laenor’s death and peace out.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, dramachick said:

It's not a secret and there's nothing's stopping her from killing her in-laws and step-children. But then there's Vaemond and any children he might have along with some cousin Velaryons, etc. She can't kill everybody.

She doesnt have to kill everybody, just enough to get the message across to keep your mouth shut or else. I believe she has enough power to do that with ease.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but Matt and Emma have zero chemistry. They are both playing their parts, eh, okay but I don’t feel this powerful, bout-to-fuck-shit-up, pairing. They’re just flat.

Aemond is a pos but some great riding to kick things off. Laenor leaving was perfect. Don’t know the actors name offhand but he’s got “it”. Was it confirmed a ruse because Rhaenyra is an asshole? Her having him assassinated wouldn’t shock me. 

I am liking the show enough to stick with it but it hasn’t reached the Sunday telly commitment schedule. It’s more of a “catch it when I can” show. I hope that changes. Even knowing what’s to come doesn’t have me pumped because these characters are feelings like caricatures. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3
Just now, Oscirus said:

She doesnt have to kill everybody, just enough to get the message across to keep your mouth shut or else. I believe she has enough power to do that with ease.

If that were true, she wouldn't be worried about her kids being called bastards. 

"Power resides where men believe it resides." - Lord Varys

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Rhaenyra and Leanor are selfish and just want to be with who they want. They are not cruel like Alicent and her father. That was the point of Leanor's "death". They set up so they would be alone while that guard went to get some more people. The only one that died was some poor guard. 

This way they both get what they want. He gets to live freely with his boyfriend and she looks like someone capable of killing her husband to get what she want. Now with the chance of having pure Targaryan children. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Aemond was attacked by four people and Baela was the first to throw a punch, yet somehow Aemond started it.

There's no such thing as "scheming to get a dragon". Dragons aren't personal property.

And Baela didn't get in a punch, she threw the first punch. Yet somehow Aemond's at fault for defending himself.

Aemond did start it, by stealing a dragon.  How are they not personal property?  They are like modern day horses, dogs, or other pets.  Vhagar was Laena's dragon.  She was the only one that had been able to ride her.  Targaryan's are given dragon eggs at birth - they belong to each other. 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, magdalene said:

You do know this was all a ruse, which they were all in on?   I feel terrible for his parents but other than that - Leonor gets what he wants - to get away from it all.

It's not clear that Rhaenyra is in on it. Go back and look at her face when she says "I know" after Daemon says Laenor would have to die.

Moreover, if she is in on it, she doesn't get to complain about accused of murdering her husband if that's the public image she's trying to cultivate.

• Applause 1
14 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I guess Criston has some morals. He'll bully little kids but he stops at maiming them just because someone asks him too. 

Are he and Alicent sleeping together now?  He's too hot for someone not to be sleeping with him...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1