Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Vegas Night

• Start Topic

I think this format might be the magic formula. It virtually guarantees an actual talented performer makes it to the end, I don't have to try to keep up with 5 to 8 people each show, but there's still room for fun stuff like Blue Man Group. I love Blue Man Group. I liked Donny joining the panel, not just performing. I even liked Nick's OTT suit. And I liked how two of the habitual guesses were on this show, but no one got them.

Now, the costumes don't seem to be as complicated or jaw-dropping, and I have no idea why Nicole chose that hair, but overall, another win. More like this, please!

• Like 4
  • Love 4

They’re not doing the callbacks anymore. You know: after the reveal, some of the clues are explained. “The shot of the Love Boat is a reference to Contestant’s work as a cruise ship singer,” and like that. Shame; I liked seeing how many, if any, I’d gotten.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Yeah I sort've miss the clue review after the reveals, though some of the clues are a lot more obvious. 

That Pie-rat came out with a smaller rat leaned heavily on a ventriloquist. I first suspected Terry Fator, but Terry tends to have much broader shoulders.... and he can sing. Jeff Dunham was an obvious second guess.

So this is twice now that we've been faked out, with an "obvious" athletic singer... who isn't actually in sports. That seems to be becoming a thing now. Especially since they faked out the judges twice by actually having 2 of their popular guesses on and no one getting them. 

I almost wish Nick had said his guess before the panther reveal just to prove that he knew who it was. I'm pretty sure he did get it, but with everything he was saying it would've been a nice jab for him to get a 'win'. I know normally he can't/won't guess because he's so close to the singers, he gets more clues (intentional or otherwise) that others won't. (At the very least he hears their unmodified voices a lot more). But when the reveal is about to happen, I'd be fine with him making a guess. 

And I have no idea who Harp is, but damn, can she belt out those songs. Panther put on a real challenge though. If it wasn't scripted, it was a real toss up as to who should get the crown. 

13 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

They’re not doing the callbacks anymore. You know: after the reveal, some of the clues are explained. “The shot of the Love Boat is a reference to Contestant’s work as a cruise ship singer,” and like that. Shame; I liked seeing how many, if any, I’d gotten.

Right.  I'd love to understand why there were football clues for tiny Chris Kirkpatrick.

Harp is amazing.  I think she sounds like Jennifer Hudson, but I think she is possibly thinner than Harp.

Vegas Night was the perfect theme for this show, as there is never anything understated on the show.  Ever.

Jenny has looked fantastic both shows, and while Nicole did, as well, in the first show, the pink hair in this second show wasn't working for her.

I was surprised the Hummingbird was from NSYNC and not an athlete.  Between the clues and his limited ability to sing, I was sure it was late-to-training-camp Tom Brady.

Mrs. GenX keeps going back-and-forth on Harp being either Amber Riley or Retta.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, blackwing said:

Right.  I'd love to understand why there were football clues for tiny Chris Kirkpatrick.

Maybe because they wanted people to think it was Tom Brady? And delayed the reveal to week 2 just so people would tune in to see if it was Tom Brady? That’s my guess.

I don’t like this new configuration. Some of the very best singers are going to be eliminated with absolutely no guarantee that the two or three best will be in the finale. If Harp keeps winning (very likely with her amazing voice and persona), every other good singer until the finale will be gone. We won’t have a chance to get to know or root for any other contestants. Disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Harp will only perform one more time before the finale.  There are three rounds, each with three episode.  The winner of each round goes to the finale.   I assume the others will be structured like this one, with one real contender and the remainder who are novelty "gets" or professional singers that only want to do a one off.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2022 at 10:12 PM, Love2dance said:

I don’t like this new configuration. Some of the very best singers are going to be eliminated with absolutely no guarantee that the two or three best will be in the finale. If Harp keeps winning (very likely with her amazing voice and persona), every other good singer until the finale will be gone. We won’t have a chance to get to know or root for any other contestants. Disappointing.

Harp has been far and away the best contestant in this first set of contestants, which I like to think of as "Group A".  Montell Jordan perhaps could have given her a run for her money under the old format.  But Harp is clearly the best.

I don't fully understand why the show acted like Chris Kirkpatrick from N*STINK was such a huge "get".  Justin Timberlake would be a huge get.  The other guy who alternated as lead singer (JC Chavez?) would be a minor "get".  But wasn't this Chris guy like the backup backup lead?  I'd say he's the least known of the 5 N*STINKers.

• Thanks 1
On 10/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Maverick said:

Harp will only perform one more time before the finale.  There are three rounds, each with three episode.  The winner of each round goes to the finale.   I assume the others will be structured like this one, with one real contender and the remainder who are novelty "gets" or professional singers that only want to do a one off.  

Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I thought Harp would keep singing every program until she lost one night or won the whole thing. Thank you.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2022 at 2:36 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

Thanks. I only know her from HGTV, so I had no idea she could sing.

Professionally trained opera singer. Not the Harp. Retta can't wear heels from injuries in her 20s.

Harp is Amber Riley. I would bet my dog on it

On 10/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, Love2dance said:

Yes, but the upside is that we'll only have to listen to the really bad ones once. 

• Like 1

I just recently caught this on Hulu and I had forgotten how much this crazy show helps me!  Last week was a super stressful week for me and my community.  I really needed a stress reliever and this was awesome.  It takes me to another place and gets me up dancing and laughing.  I’m a Donny O. fan from childhood, so seeing him again was exciting.  Just a fun episode, imo.  Confusing format, but I understand why they did it.  

• Love 1