Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Season Premiere

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Teddi and Andrew are hysterical 🤣 Andrew looks pretty buzzed all giggley.

Michael is still my fave and he sure is looking good! You’d think he be snatched back up by now after returning to his hometown as a fan favorite. I think he’s loving being the new popular guy and having too much fun to settle down again too quickly.

Oh i'm sure he has no shortage of options, but why pick a nice, age appropriate regular girl with a job when you can be 38 on a reality tv show looking for a 23 year old influencer?

• Like 2
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Oh i'm sure he has no shortage of options, but why pick a nice, age appropriate regular girl with a job when you can be 38 on a reality tv show looking for a 23 year old influencer?

I will retract this statement the second we see otherwise. But since Michael is a widower and a father—and based on what we’ve seen of him on The Bachelorette—I truly believe someone in his life signed him up for “the opportunity to find love” and he’s one of the last holdouts of contestants who are There For the Right Reasons. I mean, was he talking to someone who was too young for him? Yes. But so far the oldest woman there is Lace, so he’s showing good judgment by staying far away from her! We’ll see how it goes. He wouldn’t be the first “fan favorite” to blow any good will earned  from Bachelor Nation by acting a fool on the crab-infested beaches of Playa Escondida. But so far he’s doing okay. I’m sure the girls (who also want to get married and have a family ASAP) will love him not only because of his Right Reasons pedigree but also that he has a bit of a glow up on his down time. You go, boy! But if I had to guess anyone most likely to be looking for a wife, it’s Michael, the 38-year-old widower who tragically lost his wife and whose son gave his stamp of approval to go on this program because he wants a new mommy. 

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, dizzyd said:

What’s a Zaddy? I know it’s something daddy but my intoxicated brain is not getting the Z. Nvm found this on urban dictionary: A "zaddy" is a guy who's attractive and fashionable, with swag and sex appeal.

She was on Ben Higgins season and quit in week 3, coz she felt she was too good compared to the lead and the rest of the girls. I can see her and Shanae bonding over this.

What are they finding so special in Romeo? 

Lace wears about 10 pairs of eyelashes and is a nut. she fell in love in paradise years ago, it didnt last, and then she was messing around with Chad "Meathead" Johnson. I dont think this is a good venue for her. FYI, one of the girls wasnt saying " oh why is she back...youll be back too honey lol.

• Love 5

The way personalities differ between The Bachelor and Bachelor in Paradise is really amazing. On the Bachelor, everyone has to be so polished, so boring, so monotone and ready to be engaged within 1 date. On Paradise, those same people are so immature, have much more personality for better or worse, and  seem nowhere near ready to be engaged. That being said, I like Paradise much more for those reasons. The way they act on the Bachelor is so insincere and you know it's all an act. That's why getting engaged is such a farce and so ridiculous. The leads don't know the real person they are getting engaged to.

I was surprised when Jesse listed the successful couples from BIP, he didn't mention Becca and Thomas, Noah and Abigail and a couple others. I figured the show would tout out on repeat as many as they possibly could to reinforce that "the show works". 

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

I was surprised when Jesse listed the successful couples from BIP, he didn't mention Becca and Thomas, Noah and Abigail and a couple others. I figured the show would tout out on repeat as many as they possibly could to reinforce that "the show works". 

I think it is because those two couples didn’t leave together.   But they are successes and demonstrate that taking your time can lea$ to a more lasting relationship.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jax7917 said:

The ones he mentioned are married with kids which is what his lead in statement was. I noticed he didn’t mention Carly and Evan in that group because they’re no longer together after the marriage and kids. The ones you mentioned are not there yet. He mentioned Joe and Serena as who they aspire to be because they’re the most recent engagement, which considering the age difference, I didn’t think would make it. So there’s hope for the geriatric millennials. 

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, kazza said:

I feel like this year’s eyelashes are actually toned down from what they were, and yeah, still a hot mess.

(Can I just say your avatar makes me smile every time.)

Having skipped everything between Pilot Pete and Gabby/Rachel, I barely know anyone. There are 2 guys with beards but I can’t tell them apart. Who are the 2 women fighting? No cheesy intro theme song? 

Dang, Jesse still looks so … polished compared to the guys. 

Daisy says “thank you!”  I’ve watched all of the last seasons and I don’t even know!

• Love 2

The previous season of BIP, whenever it was, was such a circling of the drain that I abandoned it mid-season.

Full disclosure: the prospect of another BIP season compelled me to peek at the last few episodes of The Bachelorette(s) which were themselves vortices, dangerous ones at times, if only to get familiar with some potential Paradisians (?). Off-topic aside: Rachel was the most predictable trainwreck since, well, actual trainwrecks were arranged for people's amusement in the 1800s.

Although it's tempting to revive the episode narrative-laced-with-commentary style of post, it's also time consuming and, in the case of BIP where the cast members are already familiar to most, somewhat redundant. Let us opt instead for shorter passages and/or bullet points.

-Jesse Palmer is way out of his element here. To be fair, he's actually quite good at inserting tongue in cheek when discussing - or mocking - the day's events in college football along with his two ESPN co-hosts. But BIP became fully self-aware under Chris Harrison who essentially made it a two-layered program: one layer was the horny hookups and any actual relationships that blossomed, the other layer was all the social media fodder and the making of heroes and villains, both male and female. The cast members, fearful of not being in on the joke, played along even if many of them were, in fact, quite desperate to find a mate. Harrison could change personas quickly - it remains to be seen if Palmer can manage it, especially after he admitted recently that his knitted-brow act when questioning wailing females and distraught males was just that: an act and one that he knows he needs to improve.

-The title card on my guide is subtitled 'Everyone's down to flock' and has two pool flamingos arranged in a sexual pose. So any sentimentality has been disposed of by the producers, who themselves are probably tired of the cymbal crescendos and the swelling violins of the flagship program.

-Speaking of villains, they've brought several back and they are all making a meal of the role. Shenae is the obvious example but there are others. Victoria Fuller gets a brief look-in at the end of the episode but she will be quite the homewrecker when every pair of male eyes is on stalks when she arrives. For now, she has diplomatic immunity.

-Michael is living every bloke's fading young-adult dream of being 38 and surrounded by randy, nubile, drunk women at an isolated tropical resort. OR...he's living a a bit of a nightmare or cautionary tale as the creepy science teacher who chaperones a field trip, has a sneaky cocktail or two in his room, then tries it on with some of the girls in the senior class. To be fair, he himself looks a bit ambivalent but later admits he's a 'Dad going to summer camp.' Interpretation left to the individual.

-It was said of Hugh Hefner that he built an empire on the sexuality of beautiful women but that he refused to acknowledge that those beautiful women even had genitalia for the first 10 years of Playboy. Similarly, the ABC censors seem content, even eager, to show all manner of female breast (Serene), cleavage (Genevieve) etc in some daring bikini tops but the slightest glimpse of a backside, even for Serene cavorting alone on a beach, gets the 'box overlay' even as the women's swimsuits of today are intended to display those backsides.

-The arrival of Johnny at the resort is about as surprising as another wave hitting the beach. As in not very. This is his element, not the crocodile tears and commitment speechifying of The Bachelorette.

-Teddi and her V-plates arrive as the editors smack us over the head with literal birds & bees imagery. It will be interesting to see if the lads view her as a enticing challenge or a boring cul-de-sac when The Act is their stated or unstated objective.

-We don't want to see close-ups of male feet. We especially don't want to see 'decorated' male feet. Glad we cleared that up.

-Casey. Ugh.

-Sierra's volume knob is stuck on 11.

-We'll make an exception for the much-needed modesty box for Jacob. And the rule is, if you're starkers you might get a handshake but don't ask total strangers for a hug.

-Shenae 2.0 is as bad as the original edition. Still a tryhard. Her hookup with Jacob is, to borrow a phrase, the trash taking itself out.

-Wells has a dream work calendar and duties. Apparently they're making it worth his while. But he is, by now, well practiced at getting the Bippers blasted - so they can lose their minds (and clothing) on camera.

-Jill grumps that the guys are passive. Well, Jill, two of them have latched on already so maybe passive is working?

-Kira is back and putting it in the shop window again especially after the tequila takes full control of her personality. No red-blooded male could be faulted for stopping on the sidewalk to look. But beware the coordinates on the crazy/hot matrix. And avoid her medical advice.

-Brittany is a) cute, b) hot and c) personable. Which means she should fly home immediately.

-Lace might have opted for the shorter travel version of those lashes. And are the eyebrows migrating upward?

-I respectfully decline to watch Teddi & Andrew giggle nonstop for long hours.

-Logan's freeze-up on Lace's name was funny but he was correct in that it's the first day. Relax.

Edited by Rainsong
Vortices not vortexes
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

This seemed to unusually dull for BIP.  They all came in with their intended roles and unfortunately none of the roles were new and different.  Even the crabs seemed to be going through the motions.  I felt bad for the grains of sand that had to put up with the BIPers.

I don’t know. We’ve never had a Harvard-educated physician who is tired of being the good girl and perfect student/doctor for 30~ years and has decided to act like a rebellious teenager, and course-corrected so far she is teetering on driving herself over the deep end—on  day 1! I’m not saying it’s a great role to have, but it’s unique. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, JenE4 said:

We got another “geriatric Bachelor.” Who the hell is Casey?! Anyone remember him?

Yes, I remember Casey, from a group date on Michelle's season where they had to write a poem.  He either did a really good job, or we learned he journaled a lot, or that he had a job that involved writing, or something like that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, I remember Casey, from a group date on Michelle's season where they had to write a poem.  He either did a really good job, or we learned he journaled a lot, or that he had a job that involved writing, or something like that.

I am having a very vague memory that he did some kind of spoken word/rap thing and it wasn't terrible?? he definitely seems to have some smarts and an edge, which I am appreciating this season.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2022 at 12:20 AM, dizzyd said:

Hey I’m no Tarzan! I’ll leave that to naked Jacob. But cheers to the black bar, that’s gonna be my drinking game. Don’t know if that gives me a greater chance of survival than everytime someone cries. 

Is Michael the oldest ever in paradise at 38? I can see why he’d call them “Youthful”. Wait the other guy has grey hair!

The completely naked guy from last season was 40, right? I think Michael and Andrew are the only cute guys there. I guess Jacob and Johnny are okay-ish, but that´s about it. But the women are almost all gorgeous (Kira is yuck), even Shaneae is not ugly, no matter how much I want her to be. And Jill is cute in the "loves cats and books" way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, halkatla said:

The completely naked guy from last season was 40, right? I think Michael and Andrew are the only cute guys there. I guess Jacob and Johnny are okay-ish, but that´s about it. But the women are almost all gorgeous (Kira is yuck), even Shaneae is not ugly, no matter how much I want her to be. And Jill is cute in the "loves cats and books" way. 

Just wanted to mention that apparently Kenny wasn’t naked.  He wore a tiny speedo but producers decided to imply he wasn’t wearing anything.  

As for other differences between the men and women…a few guys are late 30s, but Lace is old at 32?  She’s nuts but not ancient.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

As for other differences between the men and women…a few guys are late 30s, but Lace is old at 32?  She’s nuts but not ancient.  

And Kira is 33, so Lace is not even the oldest woman this season. TPTB must think we're stupid.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 8:12 PM, dizzyd said:

Is this cast weirder than normal? Definitely calls for a substantial dose of tequila. 

Yes! It was very strange! 🙃

I think in part because so many of the cast are barely recognizable as they did not get very far on their original seasons. I'm finally getting around to commenting as I thought the premiere was both weird and unfortunately boring.

I was turned off within the very first few seconds when they started the season out with a girl sitting on a toilet. How could anyone in their right mind go on national tv on a DATING show and announce their claim to fame is a bowel disorder?🤪 I felt bad for the girl thinking this crappy little scene must have been a product of producer exploitation.

There's usually a mix of personality types on BiP with a variety of goals that brought them to the beach. But this group so far seems peopled with too many acting out character roles mixed with a group of kooks and buffoons!

I can't imagine what Jacob aka Tarzan is like in real life. Here, he is taking his role of quirky-naturalist-playboy-clown way too far. I'm sure the producers LOVE him and his leaf, which looked like a giant green pepper to me.

Shenae, Lace and Kira - ahhhhh, does anyone really expect any of these ladies to find a husband on this show? Maybe one wearing a white coat and carrying a giant butterfly net? 
Genevieve and Jill are annoying whiners and I am just not enjoying what they have to offer so far. Johnny and Logan look like they are really on the prowl, and the older 'geriatric millennial' men are boring .

I'll have to try to watch this season purely for snark purposes only!

Edited by Melonie77
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
23 hours ago, chocolatine said:

And Kira is 33, so Lace is not even the oldest woman this season. TPTB must think we're stupid.

But Lace is more ancient in bachelor years, maybe they are going by those.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, halkatla said:

But Lace is more ancient in bachelor years, maybe they are going by those.  

10 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

How do bachelor years compare to dog years i wonder?

Considering a “week” in Bachelor time is really like a half a week out in the real world, then if Lace was on the show 6 years ago in real time, that makes it like 12 years ago within the confines of the show.

I don’t think they’re necessarily saying Lace is old in years, but she’s ancient in terms of “clout” as the young-ins say nowadays. I mean, did anyone even become an influencer back then?!? I think Amanda Stanton was the first person we actively discussed as shilling all kinds of stuff on social media. (I think they were both on Ben H’s season?) But she was the only one back then who turned her stint on the show into a “personal brand.” It’s common nowadays, but Lace would have just faded into obscurity, only to be remembered by us old-timers who have been watching this show since the current crop of contestants were possibly still watching Disney XD. It’s really sad to think, do these current contestants even know who Chris Bukowski is?!?! That man is  Paradise! (Never forget Bachelor Pad!) It’s like show some respect for the pioneers who paved the way for you. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 7

I remember my all time favorite bachelor nation contestant was, and still is Jordan Kimball. The golden underwear guy from Becca's season who was a model.  What a personality on that one! So funny and he made a lot of good friends from the show when they treated him kindly instead of putting him down for his unusual style of interacting with people. He was always super nice to people who were nice to him and took no guff from those who were not nice to him. He was very smart and quick witted, always had a perfect come back and kept his friends laughing with his good humor and incredible self esteem. I see now, thankfully he was smart enough to see what this franchise does to people and he has backed away from “the nation”. Not many do that. They keep coming back for more abuse. I see that Jordan has found his match outside in the real world and is now happily married. He was definitely one of those “right reasons” contestants, coming onto the show to find true love.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
On 9/28/2022 at 6:03 PM, Rainsong said:

The previous season of BIP, whenever it was, was such a circling of the drain that I abandoned it mid-season.

Full disclosure: the prospect of another BIP season compelled me to peek at the last few episodes of The Bachelorette(s) which were themselves vortices, dangerous ones at times, if only to get familiar with some potential Paradisians (?). Off-topic aside: Rachel was the most predictable trainwreck since, well, actual trainwrecks were arranged for people's amusement in the 1800s.

Although it's tempting to revive the episode narrative-laced-with-commentary style of post, it's also time consuming and, in the case of BIP where the cast members are already familiar to most, somewhat redundant. Let us opt instead for shorter passages and/or bullet points.

-Jesse Palmer is way out of his element here. To be fair, he's actually quite good at inserting tongue in cheek when discussing - or mocking - the day's events in college football along with his two ESPN co-hosts. But BIP became fully self-aware under Chris Harrison who essentially made it a two-layered program: one layer was the horny hookups and any actual relationships that blossomed, the other layer was all the social media fodder and the making of heroes and villains, both male and female. The cast members, fearful of not being in on the joke, played along even if many of them were, in fact, quite desperate to find a mate. Harrison could change personas quickly - it remains to be seen if Palmer can manage it, especially after he admitted recently that his knitted-brow act when questioning wailing females and distraught males was just that: an act and one that he knows he needs to improve.

-The title card on my guide is subtitled 'Everyone's down to flock' and has two pool flamingos arranged in a sexual pose. So any sentimentality has been disposed of by the producers, who themselves are probably tired of the cymbal crescendos and the swelling violins of the flagship program.

-Speaking of villains, they've brought several back and they are all making a meal of the role. Shenae is the obvious example but there are others. Victoria Fuller gets a brief look-in at the end of the episode but she will be quite the homewrecker when every pair of male eyes is on stalks when she arrives. For now, she has diplomatic immunity.

-Michael is living every bloke's fading young-adult dream of being 38 and surrounded by randy, nubile, drunk women at an isolated tropical resort. OR...he's living a a bit of a nightmare or cautionary tale as the creepy science teacher who chaperones a field trip, has a sneaky cocktail or two in his room, then tries it on with some of the girls in the senior class. To be fair, he himself looks a bit ambivalent but later admits he's a 'Dad going to summer camp.' Interpretation left to the individual.

-It was said of Hugh Hefner that he built an empire on the sexuality of beautiful women but that he refused to acknowledge that those beautiful women even had genitalia for the first 10 years of Playboy. Similarly, the ABC censors seem content, even eager, to show all manner of female breast (Serene), cleavage (Genevieve) etc in some daring bikini tops but the slightest glimpse of a backside, even for Serene cavorting alone on a beach, gets the 'box overlay' even as the women's swimsuits of today are intended to display those backsides.

-The arrival of Johnny at the resort is about as surprising as another wave hitting the beach. As in not very. This is his element, not the crocodile tears and commitment speechifying of The Bachelorette.

-Teddi and her V-plates arrive as the editors smack us over the head with literal birds & bees imagery. It will be interesting to see if the lads view her as a enticing challenge or a boring cul-de-sac when The Act is their stated or unstated objective.

-We don't want to see close-ups of male feet. We especially don't want to see 'decorated' male feet. Glad we cleared that up.

-Casey. Ugh.

-Sierra's volume knob is stuck on 11.

-We'll make an exception for the much-needed modesty box for Jacob. And the rule is, if you're starkers you might get a handshake but don't ask total strangers for a hug.

-Shenae 2.0 is as bad as the original edition. Still a tryhard. Her hookup with Jacob is, to borrow a phrase, the trash taking itself out.

-Wells has a dream work calendar and duties. Apparently they're making it worth his while. But he is, by now, well practiced at getting the Bippers blasted - so they can lose their minds (and clothing) on camera.

-Jill grumps that the guys are passive. Well, Jill, two of them have latched on already so maybe passive is working?

-Kira is back and putting it in the shop window again especially after the tequila takes full control of her personality. No red-blooded male could be faulted for stopping on the sidewalk to look. But beware the coordinates on the crazy/hot matrix. And avoid her medical advice.

-Brittany is a) cute, b) hot and c) personable. Which means she should fly home immediately.

-Lace might have opted for the shorter travel version of those lashes. And are the eyebrows migrating upward?

-I respectfully decline to watch Teddi & Andrew giggle nonstop for long hours.

-Logan's freeze-up on Lace's name was funny but he was correct in that it's the first day. Relax.

rainsong!! I have missed you!!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

So boring so far! I don't want to watch hours of people nervously giggling at each other or making out. Poor Lace is so crazy. Genevieve is such a killjoy. I feel mean, but Teddie bugs me for some reason. I feel that she depends on her cuteness so much that there's not much of a personality there, but the other cast members seem to like her so maybe I'm biased. I don't find Johnny, Logan, or Naked Guy attractive. Johnny in particular seems like he's been on the prowl for years. I can't imagine getting busy in a room designated solely for that purpose. Ew. Even the resort looks tacky and unappealing to me. Maybe I'm just too damn old for this....  

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Are some of the girls wearing their string bikini tops upside down? I'm seeing a ton of side and under- boob.  

I think they're wearing the cups sideways, at a 90-degree angle from how they're supposed to be worn.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think they're wearing the cups sideways, at a 90-degree angle from how they're supposed to be worn.

Thank you for your explanation!  You've spared me from the hassle of tangling myself up in one of my bikini tops to try to figure out the BIP bikini look 😄

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Thank you for your explanation!  You've spared me from the hassle of tangling myself up in one of my bikini tops to try to figure out the BIP bikini look 😄

If you wanted to recreate it just for kicks, you'd start by tying the string that usually goes around your torso around your neck. Then vice versa. This only "works" (not really, IMO) with string bikini tops though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

If you wanted to recreate it just for kicks, you'd start by tying the string that usually goes around your torso around your neck. Then vice versa. This only "works" (not really, IMO) with string bikini tops though.

Thank you! I might just give it a go with one of my string bikinis tops if I end up having a beach date with a hunky guy next summer- just have to find him on the dating apps 😄

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Thank you! I might just give it a go with one of my string bikinis tops if I end up having a beach date with a hunky guy next summer- just have to find him on the dating apps 😄

Or, you go to Stagecoach with your upside-down bikini, and wait for the hunks to flock to you. 

• LOL 6
7 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Or, you go to Stagecoach with your upside-down bikini, and wait for the hunks to flock to you. 

I'm turning 34 tomorrow and I'd be the resident cougar at Stagecoach checking out failed influencer Bachelorette hunks 😆! Where's my lip gloss and string bikini?! I'll update you all on "my journey" when that time comes! jk😅 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I'm turning 34 tomorrow and I'd be the resident cougar at Stagecoach checking out failed influencer Bachelorette hunks 😆! Where's my lip gloss and string bikini?! I'll update you all on "my journey" when that time comes! jk😅 

I bet you'd head to Stagecoach if you heard Tino was going!😉😉😉

I wish Tino was on BiP - IMO the show needs more interesting and better looking cast members.🤣

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

I bet you'd head to Stagecoach if you heard Tino was going!😉😉😉

I wish Tino was on BiP - IMO the show needs more interesting and better looking cast members.🤣

Hahaha you remember my little crush on Tino 😄!  I might consider going to Stagecoach if Tino was going!   I wish that Tino could be on Bachelor in Paradise too- he's a hunky slab of a man with gorgeous eyes and great bone structure! Maybe he'll show up later in the season? I hope so 😉

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I find Tino neither interesting nor good looking.

Oh, ok.
I think he's pretty good looking. He's certainly  better looking than nearly all the men on BiP this summer and he may be a bit more interesting than the show allowed him to be.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

Oh, ok.
I think he's pretty good looking. He's certainly  better looking than nearly all the men on BiP this summer and he may be a bit more interesting than the show allowed him to be.

And don't forget the disheveled Tino with tousled hair and a 5 o'clock shadow when Rachel was interrogating him! Meooow 😋😅

• LOL 3
  • Love 1