Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E02: Lovable Curmudgeon

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

It's just called a prosthetic leg. She was allowed to bring two prosthetics with her - her running blade (which is the curved prosthesis) and a waterproof prosthetic leg, according to this story.

Thank you, that was useful. I'm just saying that it would be dangerous for someone to kick it and break it while they were in that little space.

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is it true that Jeff has always taken the losing tribe's flint from them going all the way back to Season 1? I only remember noticing it the past few seasons. In fact I don't even remember them having flint the first few seasons.

They've always been given flints since S1; as part of the first RC a tribe wins (or after the first TC, since they now have their fire) for the first few seasons, but I think it's now one of the few basic supplies provided.  There's been several noteworthy moments regarding flints, like the time on BvW2 when one tribe lost their flint, bargained with Peachy to get a new one, then Nadia found the original flint in the ashes of the fire.  And of course, with the advent of the fire-making at F4, people have been having to practice their fire-making skills before the F4TC, so there's been lots of scenes of that.

But Peachy's only been taking the flint away from the tribe going to TC since they dropped the 4.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I meant to ask: is Owen too young to be a curmudgeon?

I wouldn't say so, but I'm also rather curmudgeon-ly, and have been for a while.

However, when I first read the episode title, my immediate thought was "Randy?"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SummerDreams said:

Thank you, that was useful. I'm just saying that it would be dangerous for someone to kick it and break it while they were in that little space.

If that is why she didn't participate in the Challenge she shouldn't have been on Survivor in the first place.

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

If that is why she didn't participate in the Challenge she shouldn't have been on Survivor in the first place.

Wow. We don't know what the thought process for her sitting out was, we don't know if it was her idea or the team's (or most likely both) but this is basically saying that someone with a disability shouldn't participate on the show. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Wow. We don't know what the thought process for her sitting out was, we don't know if it was her idea or the team's (or most likely both) but this is basically saying that someone with a disability shouldn't participate on the show. 

Someone with a disability that gives that person a pass on Challenges is completely unfair to the rest of their Tribe. Just as last season they took Jackson Fox out of the game because he wasn't medically fit to compete. What's next? A competitor who can't swim gets to sit out any Challenge that involves swimming? A diabetic competitor is given extra food? It's unfair to the rest of the players. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

No, I think s/he's just saying the prosthetic wasn't a factor in her sitting out the challenge because she's fully capable of participating in the challenges.  

I'm sure she'd never have petitioned to come on the show if she thought there would be any sort of special consideration.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Someone with a disability that gives that person a pass on Challenges is completely unfair to the rest of their Tribe. Just as last season they took Jackson Fox out of the game because he wasn't medically fit to compete. What's next? A competitor who can't swim gets to sit out any Challenge that involves swimming? A diabetic competitor is given extra food? It's unfair to the rest of the players. 

You're making a lot of assumptions that we aren't privy to. Namely, you are assuming Noelle was "given a pass." The reality is that someone on the team had to sit out and we have no idea how the decision was made because they didn't show us. Noelle specifically said after it was over that she would have participated if she had realized Nneka was going to perform badly, so she wasn't "given a pass on Challenges." 

They had to make a call on who was sitting out and it's entirely reasonable for a team to deliberate on who will be the strongest players. Obviously, they actually made the wrong call. But claiming Noelle was "given a pass" because of her disability is not factual and also, is reducing her to her disability (and she's a lot more than that).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

I have always wondered: Do they have to declare who will do the puzzle before the challenge starts?  And is that decision set in stone?  Because I would definitely have made a game-time decision to have anyone but Nneka do that puzzle.  It doesn't make sense to me that she would be the one to do it unless they had no other choice.  

• Like 3

I would have loved it if the episode title had been "your pee is like bouillon cubes."  (how did he know???)

Is that an un-removed (or blacked out) tattoo on Jesse's scalp, a few inches back from the hairline?  There was one scene where the footage was reversed and it was on (his) left side instead of right!  and it wasn't like that scene had to be that way!  It was him reacting to something (Dwight?) said.  

"I made eye contact with a spider."  It's when you don't make eye contact that it is more worrisome!  (I like spiders but not spider bites!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Who voted for whom?  My recording ended too soon.  If the two girls had voted together, the one wouldn't have been voted out so easily.  So, it's basically their own fault.  Right?  And what was the betrayal vote that is going to cause a divorce?  Am I the only one confused?

Obviously, I haven't bothered to learn names, yet.  But Cody.  I like his weird energy.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Johann said:

Who voted for whom?  My recording ended too soon.  If the two girls had voted together, the one wouldn't have been voted out so easily.  So, it's basically their own fault.  Right?  And what was the betrayal vote that is going to cause a divorce?  Am I the only one confused?

Obviously, I haven't bothered to learn names, yet.  But Cody.  I like his weird energy.

No, the one woman still would have been voted out.  3-1-1 vote would have been 3-2 vote which would have been the only difference.

Betrayal vote?  I guess you mean that the 2 guys duo were split.  The one guy who could vote voted out the woman.  The other guy who lost his vote earlier wanted to keep the woman because he doesn't like Cody for some reason not explained.  But hey you were dumb enough to gamble away your vote so very early in the game so suck it up and respect the fact that your buddy gets to decide what is best for his game too.

Edited by Skooma
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Johann said:

To elaborate on what Skooma said, Cody, Nneka, and Jesse all voted for Justine. Dwight had no vote. Noelle voted for Nneka, and Justine voted for Cody, presumably splitting their votes in case of a Shot in the Dark play by Nneka.

The "betrayal vote that is going to cause a divorce" is a reference to Jesse voting for Justine when he led Dwight to believe he was voting for Nneka. The "divorce" part is a reference to Jesse and Dwight's conversation earlier when they were discussing pairing up, and Jesse joked about having an island wife, and then mock proposed at tribal council.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:40 AM, SummerDreams said:

On 9/30/2022 at 3:53 AM, Grrarrggh said:

On 9/30/2022 at 1:07 PM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

On 9/30/2022 at 1:42 PM, Grrarrggh said:

This isn't some "new" thing on Survivor.  Vanatuu (season 9) had foot-amputee Chad Chittendon, Nicaragua (season 21) had leg-amputee Kelly Bruno, and Worlds Apart (season 30) had  deaf cochlear-implant wearer Nina Poersch.  IIRC the cochlear implant was the biggest problem, as you're not supposed to submerge them in water.

My other note for this episode would be that at least as we've been shown, Cody had already established himself as an eccentric nut with his tribemates.  I thought right away that he might be the most likely to get away with this crazy bead thing just for that reason - that it wouldn't seem out of character for him.  Oh, and for whoever above was wondering about when we saw Noelle give him the bead - we DIDN'T.  For some reason the show chose to have Cody tell us she did during Tribal in a kind of footnote.  That was a dumb editing decision IMO.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
oops
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2022 at 11:16 PM, tracyscott76 said:

It showed her saying "I'll give you my bracelet" or words to that effect, and sort of vaguely holding something in his direction - so close enough, I'd say.

I wasn't super rooting for Justine or anything, but I'd rather they had gone for Noelle instead. Justine at least had some interesting lowkey villain vibes going, whereas Noelle mostly gave off somewhat abrasive jock vibes this episode.

I'm liking the Elie/Jeanine pair, so I hope they can loop Owen in to overcome the bro-down. Well, mostly to overcome Sami, who seems the most bro-y of the three. Ironic that he was the one who initially went to the women and proposed voting Owen out last week.

Thank you I actually did a rewind and still didn’t see her give it to him.

• Love 1

Very late to the party but here goes:

With apologies to Owen forger Lovable Curmudgeon…SURVIVOR is trying to present Cody as a Lovable Rogue. Probst is working overtime to make Cody “Happen” as the breakout character of the season. Same with Gabler to a lesser extent.

How was The Pineapple Zone not the episode title over Lovable Curmudgeon?

Eli becomes more insufferable with each passing episode. A complete “know it all” who really doesn’t know that much…it was just like Jeanine feared…the men would bro up and knock them out at the first opportunity….Owen should have been sent packing last week not Morriah.

CBS really dodged the bullet on a “bad optics” moment if another black woman had been sent out back to back in an almost anti-Marianne way.

Poor Jeanine when she sees how  bad her chin looks on tv with those bruises!

Justine was pure eye candy so that’s a loss in those regards…better have sent the girl with the prosthesis out…she seems to have a bad attitude.

Is it Ryan the big muscle bound guy? Can’t help to like him despite not being sure of his name yet. Seems like a good guy.

• Love 1

I am late to the party as well but I came here to post that Cody is by far my favourite character this season.  I can see how people find him annoying, but I am liking his carefree Hakuna Matata attitude.  I don't think we really need to see his "LIVIN" tattoo and his asscheek in every episode, but I'm thankful at least that is it.  I keep expecting that he will be the "naked guy" on the show this season.  Other guys this season are competing in water challenges wearing a shirt and shorts, meanwhile he's in his underwear all the time.

I was rooting for Nneka and Cody because I like Cody, and if Nneka went then Cody would go soon too.  But I'm kind of disappointed that we lost Justine, who kind of vaguely resembled to me a cross between Jessica Alba and Alicia Vikander.  I wish we had lost the whiny paralympian, who with her pudgy face I thought resembled a cross between two of my least favourite contestants ever, Sarah "I notice things" Lacina and Corrinne.  Didn't care for how she sat out the challenge but then proceeded to say how bad they were at it.  

On 9/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, iMonrey said:

Did Jeff Probst come up with the snake challenge just so he could spend ten minutes shouting things like "they're having a hard time getting that snake up!" and "he's riding on top of that snake!" ? I mean . . . the innuendo was laughably obvious.

As others have pointed out, it's definitely been used before.  I much prefer them to re-use the snake in a cage challenge rather than anything to do with balls.  Jeffy loooooovvveeess talking about the balls of whatever male he has decided he is obsessed with that season.  "He's holding his balls", "he's maneuvering his balls", "he's taking care of his balls", "I wish I could see his balls", etc.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2022 at 12:55 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Oh, and for whoever above was wondering about when we saw Noelle give him the bead - we DIDN'T.  For some reason the show chose to have Cody tell us she did during Tribal in a kind of footnote.  That was a dumb editing decision IMO.

I thought it was a good editing decision, as we were led to believe he didn't have a vote, and therefore the outcome of the vote was more up in the air. They showed footage of her finally giving him the bead, after the all the votes bar the final one were read.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 9/29/2022 at 7:26 AM, mojoween said:

I’ll be so glad when poor Jeanine’s face heals.  That looks painful and uncomfortable.

Survivor is absolutely my favorite show, but these last two weeks have shown me that 60 minutes is exactly enough.  I’m not really feeling this season, and I wonder if that’s why.

Still happy they bounced Justine, even if that whole hat beads bracelet thing felt shady.

Yeah, Jeanine's face is so hard to look at with those giant wounds on her face. The producers must be pissed, since they moved away from casting so many model-caliber folks and moved on to mostly regular-looking people, they only have a small number of "hot" people and one went home and another got disfigured by whatever challenge did that to Jeanine's face.

Re: the not feeling this season, I think I'm pinpointing my lessened enjoyment of the show to the way the editing and production feel so heavy-handed, the very loud, treacly music that accompanies every lengthy interview segment where the player talks about their personal challenges or whatever. It just feels like a constant attempt to create "a moment" in a way that used to happen more organically.

And when every single player is cast with an eye to their "story," it becomes less meaningful. Like, I kinda miss the days of irredeemable a-holes like Richard Hatch and Brian Heidik. Not that I want a whole cast of them, but I feel like people like that wouldn't be able to play this game anymore because there wouldn't be the 'triumph over tragedy' interview of representation that seems to be a requirement now.

I wasn't super rooting for Justine or anything, but I'd rather they had gone for Noelle instead. Justine at least had some interesting lowkey villain vibes going, whereas Noelle mostly gave off somewhat abrasive jock vibes this episode.

Along the lines of what I said above, I almost appreciate the abrasive jock vibes that I agree Noelle gave off this episode. I feel like it's more true to life that someone with a disability or challenge isn't always the sainted character rising above adversity, sometimes they can be jerks too or judgmental about people they see as weaker.

I really like Nneka, she seems smart and low-key. I hope she can continue to hang on without being targeted in this "strong tribe" phase.

• Love 2
On 10/1/2022 at 10:13 PM, Diana Berry said:

Thank you I actually did a rewind and still didn’t see her give it to him.

I was sure he didn't get the last bead he needed--which I believe was deliberate editing to mislead us.  During TC, Jeff suggested something to Cody (maybe about bartering?) that made me think, "Oh, look, he's helping Cody get his hands on that last bead and Cody failed to recognize the assist." 

Then it turned out, surprise, Cody did have the full complement of beads.  Well done, show.

• Like 4