Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Wrong Delivery

• Start Topic

I don't want to do a lot of comparing this show to other shows, but I have to say I love that Abbott has its very own Eagleton, and part of me hopes the charter school is as rich a source of brilliant plot shenanigans as Eagleton was on Parks & Rec.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

What was the word that Melissa called her sister? The one that Jacob thought meant "a very small cup of coffee."

The Hulu captions had it as "sfigato," which according to some googling means "loser." (Even in a foreign language I guess they still needed to pick something family-friendly for an insult. LOL)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, peachmangosteen said:

The actress playing Melissa's sister was definitely familiar though. As soon as I saw her I knew there'd be more to it because she wasn't some nobody.

I juts googled it lol: I think she was Lauren Weedman and she's been in a ton of stuff.

She played the mayor on Hacks.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, BAForever said:

I'm so lucky to have amazing parents and a small but mighty PTA, plus our school foundation awards grants, but mostly for non-consumable items. I spend more on snack items than anything else. My husband KNOWS not to comment on the grocery receipts. Hungry kids can't learn. Sigh.

I love this show, lots of real education topics. Their lunches are way too long though. Most elementary teachers barely have enough time to throw down some food and use the bathroom. Visiting another school or a  trip to get nails done (last season)- no way. 

I know their breaks are unrealistic but otherwise we wouldn't get as much interaction between the characters.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:41 PM, DearEvette said:

I don't think Janine has any idea of Gregory's bland food preferences.  She wasn't part of the Pizza convo and remember, she asked him later if he wanted to go out for Pizza and he said yes, even though we all know he hates pizza.  So obvi he would suffer down a bite or two to cheer up Janine. 

We didn't see him eat the Pina Colada flavored water Ice , but I'll bet he let a few swallows slither down for the cause.

Yes, like he did with the clam chowder!

On 9/30/2022 at 2:17 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Taylor and Gregory were dating over the summer, so maybe he was just hanging out with her in New York? And now that he’s got to work all day and can’t go and do stuff whenever Taylor’s kind of over him? And vice versa? Idk, I’m spitballing. 

I can see that. He's a pretty simple guy and I can see how Taylor would be bored with his lack of interest (and perhaps finances) to go to the kinds of places she wants to go as often as she may want to go.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:18 PM, roseslg said:

It could also be that his dad owns a business, so there are expectations there. Taylor works in liquor distribution, right? So I think she is used to a certain lifestyle, especially with going to all the tapas places. Those are not cheap.

Yes, the liquor distribution folks live pretty fancy. My cousin had a 30th birthday dinner at a restaurant and her friend who works in liquor distribution picked up the entire tab for the booze as a gift. People who work in nonprofit/education sometimes have a hard time wrapping their heads around perks since they are making less and using their own money for work-related expenses. 

On 9/30/2022 at 4:06 PM, Black Knight said:

The actor is about to turn 30, so I figured that's what he is on the show too, especially since Gregory acts closer to 30 than he does 25. Even his reaction to being called a broke boi seemed more like that of someone on the verge of 30, where such a comment hits harder because people often feel like they're supposed to be on firmer financial footing by that point. I even wonder if it might drive him to angle for Ava's job this season.

never go by the actor's age. I pay attention to what age they seem to be portraying and I don't see much difference between 25-29. That's just me. Besides, I think Gregory has never fully fit in with people. He's a military brat who doesn't quite fit in anywhere and that has less to do with his age and more to do with how he is as a person. It's not like the old heads get him either. 
I do agree that Gregory is the ambitious type to set financial and career goals so I'm looking forward to seeing him go up against Ava.

• Love 4
On 10/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, Neiman said:

I can see I have a minority opinion, but I didn't care for the way they portrayed Barbara confusing black and white actors.  She's been a strong, knowledgable character, so I'm disappointed they're now making her out to be one who has memory issues even if it is common with aging.  Their attempt to dumb her down wasn't funny IMO.

I realize charter schools are different across the country, but the one portrayed in the show is not typical for what we see around here.  They may look new/good from the outside, but the walls are paper thin and the furnishings are bare. 

I'm curious to learn more about Melissa and her sister.  The Shark Tank scene was my favorite.

I don't feel they needed him to have a relationship with Barbara's daughter to make that point.

Ouch!

It's not that Barbara is confusing black people with white people. She's confusing names - and not of her family/friends; these are people she doesn't know. Not everyone is well versed in today's popular culture as well as popular culture from ~30 years ago. It's on brand for Barbara and apparently, this a mistake Sheryl Lee Ralph herself makes that Quinta worked it into the show. I wouldn't consider Barbara or Sheryl Lee Ralph to be less strong or knowledgeable or even to be having memory issues. 

Agree that charter schools vary. I have seen some as fancy as the one one the show and I've seen 2 in NJ that looked fancier. 

It wasn't necessary for Gregory to have a relationship with Barbara's daughter but I thought it makes for good conflict. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2