Type keyword(s) to search

The Pros: Why is Anton Still Here?

I see there has been a lot of pro talk in the finale page. It looks like Ola and Aliona are gone for certain and maybe Kirstina. With Kristina, I would think it would have more to do with her being tabloid fodder and less to do with her partner assignments or any disappointment in that respect. I'm kind of sad to see some of the longtime pros go. Aliona was at times guilty of weird choreography, but I haven't been impressed with many of the newer pros who seem to rely more on tricks.

I also don't see Trent returning with his wife. Striclty doesn't have a strong track record of bringing back pros who have sat out a series. On top of that, the next series will start almost 2 years after Trent's only series. That's a long time for the public to forget about a pro. 

I like the idea of Anton coming back. As much as Brendan can be petulant, it wouldn't feel right without him either.

You may be right legaleagle, but I suspect she's going to milk the reality show circuit first. Wouldn't be surprised if we see her on CBB.

As a matter of fact, Ola IS one of the rumored celebs for next month's Celebrity Big Brother UK.

I see there has been a lot of pro talk in the finale page. It looks like Ola and Aliona are gone for certain and maybe Kirstina. With Kristina, I would think it would have more to do with her being tabloid fodder and less to do with her partner assignments or any disappointment in that respect. I'm kind of sad to see some of the longtime pros go. Aliona was at times guilty of weird choreography, but I haven't been impressed with many of the newer pros who seem to rely more on tricks.

I also don't see Trent returning with his wife. Striclty doesn't have a strong track record of bringing back pros who have sat out a series. On top of that, the next series will start almost 2 years after Trent's only series. That's a long time for the public to forget about a pro.

I like the idea of Anton coming back. As much as Brendan can be petulant, it wouldn't feel right without him either.

I haven't found anything to back up the newspaper article which mentioned, in passing, that Kristina was leaving, so that may just be tabloid talk. Unless she wants to start a family with Ben, my feeling is that she would want to stay on the show. Whether the show wants to keep her is a different question. None of them have contracts beyond the end of each series, so we'll have to wait and see.

I don't imagine Trent and Gordana being brought in, either - that moment has passed, I think. Not sure where the rumors of Elena Samadanova have come from, but that seems a more likely scenario.

I'm a bit fed up with the Clifton Clan. I like each of them individually, (Kevin not so much), but as a group it's over the top. (I'm including Aljaž and Janette in The Clan, as they are so close, and to a small degree, Gio, as he is a close buddy of Jo). Something I have always preferred about Strictly over DWTS was the lack of factions amongst the pros and it feels slightly divisive now. I absolutely can't blame Karen and Jo for rooting for their husband/brother in the final, but it felt inappropriate to have - seemingly - half the Clauditorium being so loud in support of Kellie and Kevin, and the sucked-lemon faces when the winners were announced was not a good look for the show. It took the gloss off what ought to be a celebration of three months' endeavour. TPTB seem desperate for Kevin to have a winner, for some reason, so I expect, as with Pasha, they will keep giving him decent partners until it happens. ...

Edited by ceebee

I'm a bit fed up with the Clifton Clan. I like each of them individually, (Kevin not so much), but as a group it's over the top. (I'm including Aljaž and Janette in The Clan, as they are so close, and to a small degree, Gio, as he is a close buddy of Jo). Something I have always preferred about Strictly over DWTS was the lack of factions amongst the pros and it feels slightly divisive now. I absolutely can't blame Karen and Jo for rooting for their husband/brother in the final, but it felt inappropriate to have - seemingly - half the Clauditorium being so loud in support of Kellie and Kevin, and the sucked-lemon faces when the winners were announced was not a good look for the show. It took the gloss off what ought to be a celebration of three months' endeavour. TPTB seem desperate for Kevin to have a winner, for some reason, so I expect, as with Pasha, they will keep giving him decent partners until it happens. ...

Now you know how we in the US feel about the Hough/Ballas Dynasty over on DWTS.

Now you know how we in the US feel about the Hough/Ballas Dynasty over on DWTS.

Oh, for sure. It's one of the (many) reasons I've pretty much abandoned DWTS. The fanwarz between the Ballas-Hough contingent and the Fam supporters is pretty toxic, too.

Interestingly I don't feel great support for the Cliftons from the public, so I'm a bit perplexed about why the producers persist in trying to make them happen as a 'thing'. I suspect when Kevin joined they were happy to have a new 'character pro'. Perhaps they do see a time when Anton might be put out to grass and think KFG is some kind of successor...

My aversions to Karen and Janette are different. I don't particularly like watching Karen dance. I find her more awkard than the other female pros. The idea that she apparently thought she was so much better than Ola just hurts her further in my estimation. Janette is amazing when she goes full in pro dances, but I don't think she's very good at capturing the individual styles with her partners, particularly standard ballroom. I like Aljaz and depending on the week I like Kevin.

If Jo is close with Giovanni, wouldn't she have had split loyalties in the finale? I also wonder if Aliona's rumored unpopularity among the cast (and feud with Brendan) contributed to some of the reactions. Anyway, I don't agree that having pros who are close outside of the show is a problem. I tend to think fans exaggerate those sorts of things. Like the Hough/Ballases versus the the fam. They all seem fine with each other and I think it's the fans who blow every little slight out of proportion. I also don't think it's realistic to have 15-16 pros who are all going to be equally close. There will always be cliques. If any pros are engaging in bad behavior that's one thing, but I don't think the Clifton clan needs to be split up because they're close.

Here's the Mirror article about Elena joining Strictly:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-bosses-glam-7043006

It's gonna be a bitter pill for Trent and Gordana if this comes true. And Neil Jones and wife Katya might also join up.

Oh who knows - I'm anxious to see the roster for 2016 though. At least we can be pretty sure the Clifton clan will be aboard (and I count Aljaz/Janette with them.) Maybe the Clifton parents should be brought onto the judges' panel.

Here's the Mirror article about Elena joining Strictly:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-bosses-glam-7043006

Thanks for the info. I'm skeptical about any source that says Elena was a huge success on the US version of the show. She did a pro dance maybe at some point? The article looks like it's just another excuse to pile on Ola. It's also kind of funny that Gleb and his wife would be about recreating the Jordans, with no mention of the other two real life couples currently in the cast. 

Thanks for the info. I'm skeptical about any source that says Elena was a huge success on the US version of the show. She did a pro dance maybe at some point? The article looks like it's just another excuse to pile on Ola. It's also kind of funny that Gleb and his wife would be about recreating the Jordans, with no mention of the other two real life couples currently in the cast. 

Indeed. Elena was never a regular full-time pro on DWTS, so I don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.  If anything, she would have been a member of the troupe, and with few exceptions, the troupe tend to be somewhat forgettable because they only do bumper routines coming in and out of commercials and serve as backup dancers for many of the routines (they also occasionally fill in whenever a regular pro can't dance for some reason, but Elena's never done that).  I agree that the point of the article seems to be more about throwing Ola under the bus than anything else.

Edited by legaleagle53

I agree with you both - it's a very stupid article. But Elena retweeted it :)  Also someone saying they wished she'd be a pro next year on Strictly. Unlike Gordana, Strictly has a lot of footage to watch Elena as a pro w/celeb: one season in Australia and two in India, and she was a judge on the Russian show. Well, you guys know all that so sorry to ramble on... And then there was Tristan's pretty clear suggestion that Neil would be a pro soon (and he's got a champion wife from Ukraine but from what I've seen of her, she seems very dour.) And I feel like I'm repeating myself.

I think the only "locks" are Gleb, Aljaz, Janette, Karen and Kevin. Now watch me be wrong about one or more of them - but I don't really care too much. If Tristan's back, I'll watch. Otherwise, I doubt it. I found this year annoying - the way they costumed Kellie, Jamelia and Tristan -- you know darned well they wouldn't have put their new hunk du jour Gleb in a ridiculous pink and black ruffled shirt and Austin Powers glasses for a samba - and their first dance had him in too-tight workmen's clothes and her ballgown was short, despite her being tall, which didn't help the elegance factor in their waltz - her frame was pretty good but they were dressed badly and I could go on for an hour about all the producer manipulation - it's as bad as DWTS and I had to quit watching that rigged piece of $#!]

The newspapers reporting the line up for Celebrity Big Brother say Kristina will be in (and not Ola). If true, then I'd imagine that's the reason they think she's leaving Strictly.

The newspapers reporting the line up for Celebrity Big Brother say Kristina will be in (and not Ola). If true, then I'd imagine that's the reason they think she's leaving Strictly.

Interesting.  I do know that Ola herself denied the rumor that she was on CBB just yesterday on Twitter. Of course, knowing Kristina's reputation for being a somewhat vindictive hothead when crossed, I can see where she'd be a better fit for the CBB house than Ola would!

I don't think Kristina will be back next season, although I think if she really wants to be back and they want her back, the timing could be worked out. If she's due around July she could be ready to dance by the launch show. She may not have any interest in that though.

I won't particularly miss her on the show. I know tabloids like to create drama, but I don't quite buy her version of events on a number of things either. She's never come across as the warmest figure on screen and all of the messy stories just don't help anything. Who knows what the truth is though, so if this is the end of her on Strictly best of luck to her on her future endeavors.

Now the British press is trying to poach US pros according to this..

I don't see any of the female pros named going to Strictly. They're all doing well enough here and I don't think any of them would prefer to live in London, even Emma. I don't think Masha would go without Aric (and he'd be the better steal anyway. Too bad guys aren't needed right now.) I'd throw Ash-leigh Hunter out there as the female Australian pro I think would make the smoothest transition. She impressed me last season with her athlete partner.

I'm still not sold on Elena. Even putting aside my distaste for Gleb, I haven't been impressed with her as a dancer. There are a few videos of her dancing with her partner on the Australina version if anyone is interested. I'll be interested in seeing if she is part of the tour at all. Apparently Trent's wife was in the tour last year. I would think if producers are really interested in her, they would test her out a little on tour. 

Elena has been involved in a Russian show (television I think?):

https://twitter.com/DancingStarsRus

I don't know if this prevented her from being on the tour or they just didn't want to have her on it, but it's possible she had prior commitments and couldn't do the tour as a backing dancer. She and Gleb will be on a stage show with Cheryl and Edyta as soon as the Strictly tour is over:

http://www.puredwts.com/2016/02/11/reminder-see-dancing-pros-live-with-edyta-sliwinska-cheryl-burke-gleb-savchenko-and-elena-samodanova/

I think the British tabloid gossip about poaching pros from elsewhere is just idle chatter.

I have read from someone who claims insider insight that some of the contracts have already been signed for returning pros (which would be earlier than normal) and that one male pro is definitely leaving.

I have given up hoping for a Brendan or Anton departure any time soon (though I liked A much more this year. Brendan not so much), and whilst I hope I'm wrong, my guess would be Tristan. He has expressed frustration at the lack of creative control, sounded exhausted after a very long series and was unguarded in his and Jamelia's exit interview on ITT in a 'here goes nothing' kind of way. I suppose it could be Gleb if he wanted to continue his rather rootless wanderings through the DWTS landscape, but he's been a big hit with audiences, so think TPTB would make every effort to keep him. There was certainly lots of discussion online about whether his choreography was show over substance and much grumbling about whether he tried hard enough to correct Anita's technique (especially her darn feet!!), but seeing him on the tour, I'd say he's become an audience favourite. There was much jokey banter about his handsomeness and he took it all in good heart and joined in the joking around. Performing out to the audience in huge arenas is a different skill from working the TV camera, and I thought he was great at it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Mrs Gleb being on the show. I'm not so keen on having 'power couples', though I think the producers like it. Most likely male recruit being rumoured is Neil Jones. He might come ready packaged with his wife Katya.

A possible female dancer is Jasmine Takacs. I know nothing about her really, except she's already in 'the family', having appeared on the main show, in 'Strictly Confidential' and on the 'Strictly Live' tour as an 'additional dancer'. I think she's also been part of Brendan's own tour (or was it Pasha's? Or both?!). Giulia Dotta might be worth keeping an eye on, too. (Has been a troupe dancer on the show; Burn the Floor alumnus; currently on Brendan's tour).

Edited by ceebee

Did an Australian paper say Tristan and his very pregnant wife (congrats!) moved to Australia? Could just be temporary for the first few months after the child is born, but I do think he might like the Australian version better. If he dislikes tv producers then he might still dislike it and Todd can be a jerk, but it's a lot more low key than the US or the UK. Maybe Tristan just doesn't like tv dance shows. I do think the Australian version most fits his vibe.

The producers may like power couples, but they apparently rejected Trent's attempt to strong arm his wife onto the show. While I don't think Elena doing the Russian tour necessarily dooms her, it also doesn't do anything to dispel my thinking that the tabloids were hoping to needle the Jordans more than anything. I don't think Elena is a good fit for Striclty. Who knows if the producers agree with me or not.

I would not be surprised if Tristan left to allow for more flexibility so he can spend more time with his wife and new baby. I would be sad but understand. It would be nice if the Aussie version would pick him up just so we can still see him, though!

Tristan said in his most recent interview with his fan forum he won't be returning to Strictly. Boo! But it doesn't sound like it was making him happy and now he will have more time to spend with his wife and new baby so that's good. I will miss his charm for sure, though.

Tristan said in his most recent interview with his fan forum he won't be returning to Strictly. Boo! But it doesn't sound like it was making him happy and now he will have more time to spend with his wife and new baby so that's good. I will miss his charm for sure, though.

Sorry, but not surprised, to hear that piece of news.

(edited)

Strictly pro line-up has finally been announced. As we knew previously, Aliona, Ola, Kristina and Tristan have decided to quit, but Gleb has also decided not to return because of "family commitments".  The behind the scenes gossip suggests this has been a fairly recent development.  

[ETA:  Same source on DS now saying Gleb was 'let go' weeks ago.  Makes me think he could have made demands the BBC wouldn't countenance.  Pay?  That Elena got a spot, too??]

Joanne should have a partner this year and three newbies have been announced to make a total of 14. The BBC statement leaves the door open for further announcements, so perhaps we'll see another male pro added.

Newbies are Katya Jones (Russian/British; successful competitive dancer representing UK with her husband Neil Jones), Oksana Platero (Ukrainian/American; formerly DWTS troupe) and Gorka Marquez (Spanish; Burn the Floor)

Edited by ceebee
to add info
  • Love 1

I have never been a Gleb fan so I am pleasantly surprised. Also really happy the show didn't add his wife as a pro.

Oksana being added is interesting. IMO, she never really stood out in the DWTS troupe and her personality didn't really come across on camera. That was 3 years ago and maybe she's come into her own more. It's funny that sometimes it's better not to know who the dancers are before. It can be hard to change perceptions and realize that people have grown. Hopefully Oksana will surprise me. 

It also occurs to me that maybe Oksana having a more reserved personality is a good thing for the show. Janette and the Cliftons have a lot of personality (and Karen has too much personality at times). A few quieter types mixed in may not be a bad thing.

I'm actually happy Anton and Brandon are back. They're institutions. Can Natalie please get someone with finals potential this year? It's been too long since she had a real contender. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't believe Gleb's 'family time' excuse either. He was constantly hawking himself on Twitter about future Strictlys towards the end and after last season - and his wife was, as well. There's something "off" about the whole thing. On another board, someone said he was told to shut up about his calendar on the Strictly tour, but he still talked about it. And Strictly issued a bunch of new "rules" for the pros which they hadn't had done before, I don't think, one saying not to advertise yourself during the show.

I can't help but believe he's difficult to work with, this being his fourth DWTS-type version in as many years. And I think he dropped three different partners during Strictly 13, and the last one, Natalie, had to sit out the entire tour because of that. If nothing else, worries about safety and liability might concern the producers. Weird guy imo. So often, people who are extravagantly good looking have extravagant egos - maybe that's it.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty certain they offered Gleb a contract, so I really don't believe that dropping Natalie or annoying wardrobe or offending Len with some off-piste choreography - or his family commitments - really came in to it.  The BBC invested quite heavily in Gleb as the new hunk at Strictly and he's appearing in Celebrity Masterchef next week, so they must have viewed him as a marketable asset.    The problem seems to have been his indecision.  Perhaps they just wanted clarity and commitment from him; maybe they thought his dithering was an act of brinkmanship; there could be several reasons; but ultimately,  I just don't think they tolerate being messed around, and whilst I wish he was coming back, I'd have to support them on that score.

Edited by ceebee
repeating myself
  • Love 1

So they are adding 3 more pros bringing the new pro total to 6. That's a lot. Too much, considering there are rumors not everyone will get a partner. Hopefully it won't just be 1 pro left partnerless. That was awkward last season with Joanne.

14 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

So they are adding 3 more pros bringing the new pro total to 6. That's a lot. Too much, considering there are rumors not everyone will get a partner. Hopefully it won't just be 1 pro left partnerless. That was awkward last season with Joanne.

Yep, seventeen is too many (I hope).  My best guess is that the two youngsters are being brought in as a troupe of sorts and they'll learn the ropes this year.  Strictly have used regular 'additional dancers' for a few years without crediting them, so perhaps announcing them is a step towards creating a more flexible 'team' arrangement.  Who knows?!

They'll start announcing celebs in a couple of weeks and the launch show (with the pair-ups) is being recorded at the end of August to be broadcast the first Saturday in September.  

I'm dying to hear the pairings - I think they're being announced tonight on BBC. 

Spoiler

All I've read, as per rumors, are that Chloe somebody (21 years old) and Neil Jones are the pros expected not to have partners. And in his intro at the red-carpet launch, Neil made a comment - something like "I look forward to dancing in the group numbers" - I think it might imply that he won't have a partner but will be in the group numbers only (and help with choreography like last year.)

Edited by Morrigan

Got em!

Spoiler

Lesley & Anton
Naga & Pasha
Daisy & Aljaž
Louise & Kevin
Tamika & Gorka
Claudia & AJ
Anastacia & Brendan
Laura & Giovanni
Greg & Natalie
Judge Rinder & Oksana
Danny & Oti
Melvin & Janette
Ore & Joanne
Will & Karen
Ed & Katya

10 hours ago, Occasional Hope said:

Joanne Clifton leaves, and three new female pros are named: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40354100

Natalie is the biggest loss for me. It's a shame after two ringers early she didn't really get a contender again. Oksana leaving is no real surprise. I don't think her personality is a fit.

I'm curious to see what Dianne can do. She had one season on the Australian version and her partner was kind of a dud dance wise. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Just FYI, Kristina Rihanoff and Tristan MacManus will be headlining their own tour, which starts in October.

Interesting. I don't know why, but I would never have thought of Kristina as a touring partner for Tristan. Althought, despite saying that, I suspect it was Kristina who asked him to join HER.

Not that any of that matters. I'll be interested in catching bits of their show online (if possible).

• Love 1

The first live show is on the 23rd September. Strictly the launch show will be on TV on the 9th September. ITT and Waite's Warm Up fans, Ian has confirmed he'll be back on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I'm so glad Gorka and AJ are back. They're my favorite male pros. (also Anton, Brendan, Pasha, Aljaz, Kevin, Giovanni, Neil).

There are 3 new women linked upthread - and also Karen, Janette, Oti, Katya, Chloe.

Wonder which pros won't get partners.

I agree Anothermi that Tristan and Kristina don't seem like a natural fit - I loved him with Aliona! However, for his first Strictly series, Kristina was his assigned pro partner, so they had that experience together. Ian and Oti are touring together so I have to wrap my mind around that too - I can only imagine him with Natalie or Camilla at the moment, but I'm sure they'll all be fine. It amazes me how many couples tour in the UK/Ireland. We have so much less stage-dancing tours in the States, it seems, and almost no couples - it's groups instead - I'm not even sure if "Ballroom with a Twist" is still going, but the tv show itself does a group tour every summer these days.

I wonder what happened to Robin Windsor - I haven't seen anywhere that he'll be back on ITT or in any other capacity - and it's interesting he's not touring with Kristina as he did inthe past. I'm also wondering if newly blonded Karen was asked to dye to her hair by the producers - I remember some past flak about one of the girls being told to dye her hair (Aliona to a reddish tone??)  Anyway, lots of brunettes makes me suspicious that they intervened.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Morrigan said:

There are 3 new women linked upthread - and also Karen, Janette, Oti, Katya, Chloe.

When I 1st read that Katya was coming back I was pleasantly surprised that after all this time they invited her back... and then I remembered there was Another Katya that I also liked. And she was on just last year! (blush) So yay Katya!

I'm a little surprised that Karen is back because I remember a lot of talk that she wouldn't be back as she and Kevin planned on making babies. Wonder if that was just gossip, or if something changed?

I think I only skimmed the article about the 3 new female pros:

_96580399_strictlydancers_bbc.jpg

From L to R: Nadiya Bychkova, Dianne Buswell and Amy Dowden

Nadiya = Ola version 02 (with a built in insult in her last name for lazy haters)

Dianne. Perhaps she's supposed to take the Aliona "type" spot? Who thinks that Tess will pronounce her name so that it sounds like she's related to Darcey Bussell?

Amy. She looks like a normal person. Hope that goes over well with the Great British Public.

Annnnnnnd of course. Anton is back. Who is the "older" celebrity this year?

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Anothermi said:

Annnnnnnd of course. Anton is back. Who is the "older" celebrity this year?

Well, let's face it.  With Len having left Strictly for good and Sir Bruce having passed away, Anton is now the Elder Statesman of SCD and therefore its designated institution.  He'll be around for as long as the show is, even though I'll bet those new twins of his have been running him ragged even as he and Erin have been planning next year's tour.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

the Elder Statesman of SCD and therefore its designated institution

<sigh> O.K. I don't hate him. With the right partner, I even like him. But I tired of Brucie (R.I.P) and if Anton gets more "joke" contestants...  grrrr.

• Love 1