Type keyword(s) to search

Drink Masters - General Discussion

jenrising
  • Start Topic

Twelve of the world's most innovative mixologists infuse, stir and blend their way through a series of high-stakes cocktail challenges to win a life-changing prize and the title of The Ultimate Drink Master.

Premieres October 28 on Netflix

I've watched the first 3 episodes. I'm a sucker for these kind of competition shows so I will watch the whole thing but I do hate the "twists". In the second episode, the drink-off at the end had them make them without tools. Unneeded drama - just let them make a drink and judge it. That works for Bake-Off so I don't enjoy adding unnecessary obstacles. Also, the one judge is trying too hard to be mean. 

From the fact that I'm the first post, I assume this show isn't getting much buzz so there may not even be a season 2. But if so, I hope they tweak it and just go back to basics.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show more than I thought I would from the quick clip they show when you're trying to find something to watch. It's like a mash-up of GBBO and Top Chef but with alcohol. I think it is beautifully shot and I love the slow-mo drink shaking and the sound effects -- a cool show visually and aurally. 

It's fun to watch them craft a drink from scratch. I'm fascinated by the culinary approach and how just like with cooking different techniques, ingredients, plating, etc. make a difference in the final product. 

Some of the presentations are pretentious and some of the contestants are extra extra, but I'm hooked and want to see who makes it to the end. 

• Love 4

I finished last night & if there's a 2nd season, I won't be watching. I hate all the ridiculously complicated drinks, I just want something simple to sip on. This felt like they made everything so involved because they could, not because they should.

I really liked this and I'm not even really much of a fan of alcohol.  I do wonder if any of these drinks would taste better to me than most drinks do. 

All the sides do make me wonder if the first sip is different than a later sip once the side stuff goes away.

• Love 1

I've liked what I've seen so far (still 2-3 eps to go). I don't drink alcohol anyways so unless they do a virgin challenge I'd never try any of these, but it's interesting to see what they can do. 

Canada was done dirty in that elimination challenge. None of them really seemed to try to incorporate the Canadian ingredients, other than the one who was eliminated. And I can agree that pureed butter tarts is not the way to go. If she had skipped the tart and got the butter part she might have had a better chance.  I wish we had a better view of what Canadian elements were provided. 

As for the rest of the series, it's pretty standard formula, but I'm enjoying it. Maybe a few too many pair challenges, but that seems to happen. 

Julie Reiner owns my favorite craft cocktail bar in the world, Clover Club in Brooklyn, so I was extra curious about this show and the competition. Happily, I'm really enjoying it 5 episodes in. The camera work is extraordinary and the competitors and judges likable with minimal drama ~ they let the cocktails be the stars of the show.

• Love 3