Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/26/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Sept. 26 – Elisabeth Moss (“The Handmaid’s Tale”)

Tuesday, Sept. 27 – Dylan McDermott (“FBI: Most Wanted”); Melanie Chisholm (author, “The Sporty One: My Life as a Spice Girl”)

Wednesday, Sept. 28 – Idina Menzel and Cara Mentzel (authors, “Loud Mouse”); Little Amal, the 12-foot puppet of a 10-year-old Syrian refugee who has become an international symbol of compassion and human rights

Thursday, Sept. 29 – The Cast of ABC’s “Shark Tank,” including Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O’Leary, Robert Herjavec and Lori Grenier

Friday, Sept. 30 – Original co-host Star Jones (“Divorce Court”); Mario Cantone (host, “Classic Horror”)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I'm keeping the show on in the background instead of giving it my full attention, but I believe Alyssa ended up proving herself wrong by bringing up the fact that Bernie Sanders wasn't nominated in response to Sunny in the first segment, lol... Extremism having infected one side but not the other is sort of the whole topic here, the reason Liz Cheney was saying she'll defect if Trump is the nominee again. But I guess when you're in the spot of trying to think of anything to say to deflect from things that are pretty cut and dry, you don't often end up making sense.

• Love 4

It's pretty clear that Sunny hates Alyssa.  She looks bored and pissed off when Alyssa is talking, it is SO obvious what she is feeling.  And this morning, when they were talking about Liz Cheney and whether there should be a third party, Sunny actually said to Alyssa, you worked in "that" administration, you were complicit. Alyssa had admitted she worked there, but has denounced - what more can she do or say?  If they are going to continue to rub her nose in it, it's going to turn some viewers, including myself.

I'm not an Alyssa fan, but Sunny is going too far here. They hired Alyssa to be on the panel, you need to be polite and respectful.  I don't see Alyssa staying around.  I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but I didn't notice Sunny's hate for Alyssa so much before.  It is getting worse and obvious.

• Like 7
  • Love 11

From what I heard, Sunny didn't say Alyssa was complicit with heat though, she just said it more like it was a fact...which it is, imo. I thought she was being deferential to Ana by acknowledging that she and Alyssa aren't the same, Alyssa is much worse in what she's contributed.

Alyssa's not going to leave, she's probably grateful to have got this job considering her resumé... And who would care if Alyssa left anyway. The show's ratings were fine last season so the hiring of a fifth co-host always felt sort of pointless. Besides, the show's worse for having Joy off to make room for Alyssa, if we're being honest. I don't think it's a smart business decision to make the first show of the week the most dull show of the week... I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up hurting them in the ratings over time.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

From what I heard, Sunny didn't say Alyssa was complicit with heat though, she just said it more like it was a fact...which it is, imo. I thought she was being deferential to Ana by acknowledging that she and Alyssa aren't the same, Alyssa is much worse in what she's contributed.

Alyssa's not going to leave, she's probably grateful to have got this job considering her resumé... And who would care if Alyssa left anyway. The show's ratings were fine last season so the hiring of a fifth co-host always felt sort of pointless. Besides, the show's worse for having Joy off to make room for Alyssa, if we're being honest. I don't think it's a smart business decision to make the first show of the week the most dull show of the week... I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up hurting them in the ratings over time.

It doesn't matter if she said it with heat - she still said it, to a fellow co-host.  As I said, I am not particularly on Team Alyssa, but if Sunny is going to continue to take swipes at her it just makes me think less of Sunny.

And Joy isn't off on Mondays to make room for Alyssa.  Anna is there  to fill that spot, just like she is there on Fridays for Whoppie.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

It doesn't matter if she said it with heat - she still said it, to a fellow co-host.  As I said, I am not particularly on Team Alyssa, but if Sunny is going to continue to take swipes at her it just makes me think less of Sunny.

I agree.  I think Sunny's snide remarks to Alyssa reflect badly on Sunny not Alyssa.

• Like 20
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Disagree with bluegirl147 - I appreciate Sunny speaking frankly for so many Viewers who feel that Alyssa is being undeservedly rewarded. But I missed Joy’s input in today’s discussion.

Why is Alyssa undeserved of being on the show?  She tried out with many other Rep. women...and apparently producers thought she filled the bill the best. Who are we to say who deserves the job or who doesn't.

And if that were case, then Sunny needs to grow the fuck up. She dislikes everyone who doesn't share her views. She should act like the grown-up she pretends to be, and not like the baby, who plays coy whenever it suits her. It's not cute or mature.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Disagree with bluegirl147 - I appreciate Sunny speaking frankly for so many Viewers who feel that Alyssa is being undeservedly rewarded. But I missed Joy’s input in today’s discussion.

Alyssa's presence in the Trump administration is a fact that should be acknowledged--in fact, Alyssa has acknowledged it, repeatedly, right? If she can't ever speak on Trump or politics in general without Sunny admonishing her, that's going to get old fast. I agree with those who said that at this point, it reflects more poorly on Sunny than it does on Alyssa.

Whoopi was right to redirect the Ana-Sunny conversation about being Republican and being Catholic, but it's actually an analogy that I find very apt. I was a lifelong Catholic who was OUTRAGED by the institutional Church's crimes, cover-ups, hypocrisy, and harmfulness, but I always said the Church was more than the institution, and that I would work from within to change it. After nearly three decades of my adult life (I'm in my late 40s now), I finally decided that change from within was entirely too slow, and that the institution was too harmful and insidious for me to continue to line up behind it. So even though I think my inclusive beliefs as a Catholic are correct, I recognize that the people in charge own the brand, for lack of a better expression.

All that to say ... I think that's what Liz Cheney is doing. She believes her vision for the Republican party is correct, but she can't stay with them if they stick with Trump for the future. I understand why it's hard for Ana or Alyssa to give it up, but I wonder if there will come a point when sticking with it is too much of an embarrassment to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Sunny was pretty much the same during the auditions with Alyssa as she is now. I think Teta assumed he would cast who he wants and things would change once she was cast, but Sunny doesn't work that way... lol  I don't really blame her. While ABC may choose to legitimize someone like Alyssa, they can't force the people who work for them to agree with the decision. It's sort of funny when you think about it, Whoopi was in trouble earlier last year for misspeaking, whereas Alyssa's said and stood for much worse things than her before she was ever hired--no matter how she wishes she could disassociate herself from it to advance her career now.

2 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

Is anyone else enjoying the war which is slowly bubbling up between Ana and Sunny these days ?

Ana hates Alyssa as much as Sunny does. I believe she's made shady comments to and about Alyssa almost every day she's been on this season and last season as well... Sunny is much more direct with her opinions in general, so I'm not surprised she's more in your face with Alyssa rather than simply throwing shade the way Ana does.

• Love 6

I've always been a Sunny fan, but I do think her smugness and condescending remarks and hostility toward Alyssa is making me adjust my attitude. I get a coy "Aren't I so beautiful?" and "Aren't I just the smartest?" vibe from her. It's great that she is confident, but she really showboats a lot. I still want her on the panel, but she is getting on my nerves.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, KingCharlesIII said:

Then Ana takes out her WMD and asks Sunny how she can be a devout Catholic with all the scandals and sex crimes which have plagued the Catholic Church for decades - how can she still stay devoted to them ? 

I assume Sunny gives money to the Catholic Church.  Is she complicit if that money is used to cover up things?  Yes Alyssa worked for the Trump administration.  She denounced Trump after he refused to concede and started an insurrection.  And she doesn't antagonize her fellow cohosts or throw temper tantrums like the conservative who sat in that seat before her.   I don't agree with most of what Alyssa stands for but I have yet to hear her proclaim herself an expert on politics because "she has been in politics her whole life".   She is game for whatever topic is discussed.  She doesn't bother me the way Meghan and Elisabeth did.  She isn't acting like this is all a game and she has to root for her team.  If any of this changes I reserve the right to change my opinion of her but until then I'm enjoying the View.

• Like 16
  • Wink 1
  • Love 6

Joy was exactly on the mark in the first segment when she responded to Alyssa's pretensions by saying that McConnell will blow up the filibuster immediately to push through a federal ban on women's rights. Whoopi was clever in the way she ended the topic... Coming right after Alyssa speaking, her words could've applied to either the topic or to her (or both). 😛

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

Is anyone else enjoying the war which is slowly bubbling up between Ana and Sunny these days ?   

I don't see a war between those 2.   I see 2 intelligent women with different points of view who have enough respect and trust with each other to disagree publicly and still be friends.   

I think Sunny enjoys having someone to spar she feels is on her level.   

I also think Sunny likes Alysa just fine.   The only time she really comes for her is in discussions about the previous administration.   On the other topics she's pretty civil.   

• Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

But King Chas Ill, before The View, Alyssa was White House Director of Strategic Communications and Assistant to the President in 2020, and Defense Department Press Secretary in 2019, roles much different than being a career state worker in successive administrations, a police officer, or a teacher. Alyssa’s previous govt. jobs surely involved trying to influence the public and possibly to spread at least some provably false information, such as “rigged” or “stolen”elections.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I have a theory about that.  I read Sunny's book earlier this year and in it, she writes about how Ana told her one time when they were out for  drinks that she didn't really consider Sunny to be Hispanic until she found out that Sunny's full name was Asuncion and that she could speak Spanish and knew how to make certain foods.  Sunny was pretty taken back by it and I'm guessing has been holding a grudge about it all these years (cuz that's, you know, kinda Sunny's thing), which is why she keeps on asking Ana how "as a Latina" she can be a Republican.  It's like, Ana was rude and questioned Sunny's Latin-ness, so Sunny's going to question Ana's, just in a much more public form.  

• Useful 6
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

I don't see a war between those 2.   I see 2 intelligent women with different points of view who have enough respect and trust with each other to disagree publicly and still be friends.   

I also think Sunny likes Alysa just fine.   The only time she really comes for her is in discussions about the previous administration.   On the other topics she's pretty civil.   

I don't see how anybody is saying that there is a war between Sunny and Ana when they are very good friends who just have a difference of opinion.

The conversation with Sunny asking Ana how can she be a Latina and a Republican is the same type of conversation that Black people have with each other all of the time so I don't understand why people are so triggered by the conversation. She did not disrespect Ana or say anything disparaging at all. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

And she doesn't antagonize her fellow cohosts or throw temper tantrums like the conservative who sat in that seat before her

And the BIGGEST difference between the two is that Alyssa always has a smile on her face and in 4 years I think we saw SWSNBN smile once!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sunny and intelligent in the same sentence makes me laugh lol

And interesting how much of a pass she gave up to Jen Shah because she pleas guilty...doubt she would if it were any of the other housewives on Salt Lake City...glad Whoopi didn't give Jen Shah a pass.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Is The View having a hard time finding guests? They need knowledgeable guests to discuss things with rather than devolving "hot topics" into over-long sessions of the hosts bickering like petty middle schoolers focussing on each other rather than the actual topics - in is unprofessional and immature. Get back to your jobs and focus on what is going on in the world! 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

I have mentioned this before but is Alyssa not aware how her skirt crops up when seated? On Tuesday's show my eyes were always drawn to her skirt, especially with her legs crossed and she shifted position. I know Fox network women tend to wear short skirts, but this is not Fox. I would think she would be uncomfortable being on the end with that much leg showing. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

It seems she is comfortable with that much leg showing.  It's only a leg.  Nothing else is showing.

And Sunny showed just as much when she was on the end for an interview on Monday (?). On a shallow note Alyssa has the better looking legs of the 2.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

While I appreciate the sentiment and artistry behind it, that gigantic doll/puppet was pretty creepy.  Why did they design it so that you could see the guy in the chest?  My husband walked in while I was watching that segment and went, "What in the Wicker Man is going on there?"  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Joy had the best response to the topic on Florida, saying the state could have used that 12 million that was wasted on the Martha Vineyard stunt right now. But I agreed with Sara, too, that there was nothing but grandstanding in DeSantis' remarks there about the hurricane, that he's still more focused on boosting himself than protecting Floridians.

Loved Sunny's reaction when Alyssa tried to pretend Trump worked with blue states during the pandemic. If looks could kill. That lie of Alyssa's was especially vile considering how many people died, of which Sunny's in-laws were a part...

• Like 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Loved Sunny's reaction when Alyssa tried to pretend Trump worked with blue states during the pandemic. If looks could kill. That lie of Alyssa's was especially vile considering how many people died, of which Sunny's in-laws were a part...

And this, ultimately, is why it is always gonna be hard for Sunny to play nice with the "sweet, delicate, smiley, amiable" new hire.

Alyssa is trash who is desperately trying to rehab her image while still trying to prop up the corrupt administration she claims to have renounced. She is one of many pretty faces who were complicit with that administration's wrongdoing and, as a result, made/make it more palatable. 

But hey, Sunny just needa be more professional in the face of pleasantly presented lies and deflections. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Did I totally mishear, or did Alyssa say something today about it having been a steep learning curve for her as a conservative to understand that  government is essential for providing emergency services in natural disasters like hurricanes, and even for police and fire assistance??

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Oneofem said:

Did I totally mishear, or did Alyssa say something today about it having been a steep learning curve for her as a conservative to understand that  government is essential for providing emergency services in natural disasters like hurricanes, and even for police and fire assistance??

You heard correctly. It’s the whole minimal government thing. I guess she grudgingly acknowledges that federal government help is needed during natural disasters. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

Is The View having a hard time finding guests? They need knowledgeable guests to discuss things with rather than devolving "hot topics" into over-long sessions of the hosts bickering like petty middle schoolers focussing on each other rather than the actual topics - in is unprofessional and immature. Get back to your jobs and focus on what is going on in the world! 

I know! Stupid Reddit segments seem like a desperate way to try to get a discussion going because they have nothing else to fill the time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Oneofem said:

15 hours ago, Haleth said:

You heard correctly. It’s the whole minimal government thing. I guess she grudgingly acknowledges that federal government help is needed during natural disasters. 

What a maroon. Was she "not born" when Katrina happened? or Sandy? Acting as if Fiona and Ian are the first hurricanes to ever hit and cause such damage, Florida (because you know, Alyssa was just focused on Florida. Puerto Rico, who?) is the ONLY one that needs help from FEMA. Nimrod.

I watched the last three of last week's and this week's in a binge, so all episodes are a blur to me, but that stood out.

That whole Venmo "topic" was such a hot mess I couldn't figure out just what the issue was.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I really wish the show would do a full 20 minutes upfront, without commercials, and then load the commercials on at the end of the show. So many talk shows (including evening cable news shows) do it this way, and it works. The way The View is formatted is not great - 10 minute segment, commercial / 7 minute segment / commercial. It really breaks the momentum - especially the first commercial break after 10 minutes. 

Seems more like 5 minute segment, 10 minutes commercials, 5 min segment, 12 minute commercials including one that always seems to last forever. I think a lot of people tune in at the start & after the second segment walk away to do something & as it takes so long just don't come back but leave the program on in the background, I know I do almost every day unless there is someone I actually want to listen to on.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What a maroon. Was she "not born" when Katrina happened? or Sandy? Acting as if Fiona and Ian are the first hurricanes to ever hit and cause such damage, Florida (because you know, Alyssa was just focused on Florida. Puerto Rico, who?) is the ONLY one that needs help from FEMA. Nimrod.

I had flashbacks to Meghan and her "I don't know I wasn't born yet".

19 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Loved Sunny's reaction when Alyssa tried to pretend Trump worked with blue states during the pandemic. I

Alyssa said Cuomo (assuming she was referring to Andrew) was at the White House numerous times.  I don't ever remember that happening.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Seems more like 5 minute segment, 10 minutes commercials, 5 min segment, 12 minute commercials including one that always seems to last forever. I think a lot of people tune in at the start & after the second segment walk away to do something & as it takes so long just don't come back but leave the program on in the background, I know I do almost every day unless there is someone I actually want to listen to on.

To maintain one's sanity, you MUST watch it taped/paused or else the bloody ads will drive you crazy! I have seen this show butt in and interrupt MID-WORD......forget mid sentence!!!! 

No wonder network's numbers are quickly shrinking away! Who wants to watch a show - like Dateline or 20/20 - where you could write a novel or build a house during the time all those ads they constantly throw at us take to run!!!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Ugh. Karin should have just admitted Biden made a mistake. He certainly has a lot of other things on his mind. Forgetting an obscure congresswoman is not a sign of senility.

I’m with Whoopi in not believing Sunny doesn’t argue with Manny. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ugh. Karin should have just admitted Biden made a mistake. He certainly has a lot of other things on his mind. Forgetting an obscure congresswoman is not a sign of senility.

That won’t stop the millions of trolls saying it anyway. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Love 8
3 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I've been recording the show since 2006 when Rosie was moderator. (I only skipped the Jenny McCarthy season since then).  I zip through the ads and for the past few seasons I delete the recording once the guest comes to join them - especially since I don't know who half these 'celebrities' are under 50.

I've also been watching since the early '00s, and the season where they were remote was when the first segment started being this short. Usually the first segment was around 15 minutes at least, now it's 10 or 8 minutes... The way it was at least allowed them to talk robustly about one topic and then run quickly through a couple of less important ones in the rest of the show. I knew once they changed it, it wouldn't go back the way it was when they returned to the studio.

Today's show was forgettable. When they were talking about Biden's gaffe, I liked that they brought up Whoopi accidentally ending the show earlier a few weeks ago. Those kinds of screw ups happen to everyone, and Whoopi is, what, two decades younger than Biden?

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, limestation said:

To maintain one's sanity, you MUST watch it taped/paused or else the bloody ads will drive you crazy! I have seen this show butt in and interrupt MID-WORD......forget mid sentence!!!! 

No wonder network's numbers are quickly shrinking away! Who wants to watch a show - like Dateline or 20/20 - where you could write a novel or build a house during the time all those ads they constantly throw at us take to run!!!

Absolutely! I DVR just about everything, unless it's a program that I just have on for background noise (Food Network, etc.). Hallmark movies especially. (Don't judge!) Although I notice that even they get pretty into the plot before they have a commercial break and then load up toward the end. I LOVE fast forwarding through the commercials.

On a more shallow note, Alyssa's dress is SO short today!  I'm reminded of Gabby (The Bachelorette) on After the Final Rose when she came out in a dress that looked more like a bathing suit. Is that a thing now?

Sunny's dress with the sharp, pointy shoulder pads reminds me of the famous Carol Burnett/Gone With the Wind skit. "I saw it hangin' in the window and just HAD to have it!" 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I DVR everything, even the news, so I can FFwd, pause, or after only half-listening to some lame inanity, have to rewind to watch the rare important thing they said or showed a picture of to understand the context

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Alyssa’s short skirts don’t bother me - but I remember Bitsy.  Whoop is usually my main fashion fiend but she seems Most Improved thus far, no appearance of the infamous scarf, “crisp white shirt,” robes and tennies are simply HER.

Edited by Oneofem
Auto”correct” - grrr
  • Love 1