Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Just Jen

• Start Topic

Are we supposed to understand that the nice guy from the wedding is going to turn out to be working with the She-Hulk killers?

Bigger question: Did Jen really iron the groomsmen's shirts, or did she just put them on hangers and call it good?

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Are we supposed to understand that the nice guy from the wedding is going to turn out to be working with the She-Hulk killers?

Bigger question: Did Jen really iron the groomsmen's shirts, or did she just put them on hangers and call it good?

Probably but I hope not.  Jen as Jen deserves a win.

But yeah, she probably actually did iron the shirts.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Disney+ owes everyone another $0.05 for failing to include post credit scene again...

2 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Normally I hate annoying DJs, but I'll make an exception for one that has a policy for wedding fights

DJ Drogo...

Would a Hulk Thunderclap generate enough shockwaves to instantly remove wrinkles?

• Wink 1
  • Love 2

I really hope that the guy Jen liked at the wedding is really a nice guy and in league with the villains, that would really suck for Jen, she needs a win. Another fun episode, I loved her fourth wall break where she basically laughed about how we're getting a wedding episode instead of follow up with Daredevil after we saw his mask in the last episode, so checky. Jen looked really nice in her dresses, as Jen and as She-Hulk, too bad her friend getting married pretty much sucks. A cash bar? So tacky, especially when the couple didn't seem to be hurting for cash, and it took her about an hour to cheat on her new husband apparently, no wonder Jen hasn't talked to her in awhile. 

I like how they seem to be finding a formula where Jen has to deal with her new life as She-Hulk while the B plot usually involves the rest of the lawyers dealing with some kind of super power based case or something else involving how the prevalence of superhero's is affecting normal life. Its a fun way to add in a lot of jokes and do some world building as the fantastic has become increasingly common place in the MCU at this point. I never expected to see Mr. Immortal on this show, especially this version of him that's a serial spouse who keeps faking his death to get away from his various wives and one husband! 

Titania is so petty that she gets herself an invite to the wedding just to fight Jen, because of course she is. Jameela Jamil continues to have an absolute ball with this roll, especially her delightfully hammy reaction to falling on ice during her fight with Jen. 

This show might be losing its more low key tone soon if the people in the lab are manage to find a way to hurt She-Hulk... 

• Love 4

I was today year's old when I learned that a cash bar was considered tacky since every wedding including my own I have attended (with one exception) has had a cash bar.

Clearly I am too low class to know people who can afford such things.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Is there any chance that Josh isn't a henchman? I hope so. He was cute, and he was into both Jen AND She-Hulk. Why can't Jen have nice things???

Also, I thought the whole reason Luke was interested in designing non-super suit clothes for Jen was because of the unique demand of needing clothes that would fit both her Jen and She-Hulk bodies. So why was that dress hanging off of her when her friend told her not to be She-Hulk at the wedding? It's not like she managed to find a cute store-bought dress that fits a 7-foot-tall Amazon, 'cause she specifically told Nikki that Luke made it for her. Did he make her one super suit and one lawyer suit with the size-changing material and then just throws in some extra She-Hulk sized pieces that don't alter to fit her body? I get the joke of being yet another way Jen was embarrassed at the wedding, but since this was the first Luke-designed outfit we've actually seen her in, I wanted something cooler.

The Mr. Immortal plot was fun. I'm enjoying the various plots that explore the implications of superpowers on the legal system. Interesting, though, that we got no explanation for Mr. Immortal. Fake Meghan Thee Stallion was a Light Elf and Donny Blaze was a washed-out sorcerer. What's Mr. Immortal's deal?

• Like 4
  • Love 9

While the property damage might have gotten out of hand here and a few teeth was lost, Jen and the rest can at least take solace that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as every wedding/wedding party that is held in Westeros!

Loved how Jen 4th wall broke about how this was almost just going to be a standalone wedding episode, but it was fun just seeing Jen have fun as herself for once and take a bit of a breather: well, a breather that involves dealing with the bridezilla from hell and then having a mini-brawl with powered up influencer!  At least she met a guy who seems to be interested in her!  Which, of course, means he's probably going to end up being a bad guy...

Was not expecting to see Mr. Immortal here, so that was a fun surprise.  The actor was a good fit in the role and I loved how they incorporated both Mallory and Nikki.

Mysterious lab guy are totally connecting to the Wrecking Crew and getting She-Hulk's blood.

Once again, it's both impressive and sad how accurate the show is with showing what type of reactions and hate She-Hulk would get on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Inconvenient wedding episode. I love since people were expecting Daredevil because they think this is somehow his show because he was in the trailer. He'll show up when he shows up. 

Jameela Jamil is doing great, although her American accent is throwing me. Since I'm used to Tahani. 

Josh is probably evil and that sucks. Jen can't win. That's a pretty big set up, you'd think they'd be better equipped to go after Jen. Yet they sent the wrecking crew after her. Did they think she was weaker because she's a woman? Maybe so since She-Hulk's real villians are internet trolls. 

We do need to normalize saying no to being a bridesmaid. I also felt obligated to go to a wedding in the west coast when I'm in midwest because I was asked to be a bridesmaid. She actually called me so I it would've been even harder to say no. 

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Was not expecting to see Mr. Immortal here, so that was a fun surprise.  The actor was a good fit in the role and I loved how they incorporated both Mallory and Nikki.

I was just impressed that they gave him a husband in with the wives.

I knew when they didn't announce a character for Renee Elise Goldsberry that she was going to be playing Mallory, and I knew she'd be great at it, but I had no idea how great.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

At first I was kind of sympathetic to the bride when she was worried that She Hulk would upstage her, but then she kept saying/doing shitty things to Jen. After the fight, was she too drunk to realize that She Hulk is Jen?

Nikki is great. Not only does Ginger Gonzaga have great chemistry with Tatiana, I really enjoyed her scenes with Pug and Mallory.

How does Mr. Immortal know that the next time won't be the last? I would be banking all of those resurrections for when I really need them.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I knew Jen’s “friend” would be obnoxious as soon as Jen opened the bridesmaid invitation and glitter went everywhere. And making her do chores at the wedding? Hell no. Jen dancing while getting increasingly drunk was hilarious, though. Jen really lives in Titania’s head rent-free, huh? 

I hope Josh is just a sweet guy and not connected to the people going after her. That website with all the incels was sadly realistic. I think Nikki was right to warn Jen about it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, paigow said:

Disney+ owes everyone another $0.05 for failing to include post credit scene again

But you know, it-a mountsa up, 35, 35…

9A766D84-92D6-4544-BE64-E8F84B16FC8A.jpeg

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I never expected to see Mr. Immortal on this show, especially this version of him that's a serial spouse who keeps faking his death to get away from his various wives and one husband

Anyone else think he was just going to die to get out of paying his legal bill?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, tkc said:

Here are some screen-grabs from the "Intelligencia" scene:

You have to wonder if some of those ideas came from fan sites.

Where actual incels are getting themselves this worked up over a fictional character.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, angora said:

Is there any chance that Josh isn't a henchman? I hope so. He was cute, and he was into both Jen AND She-Hulk. Why can't Jen have nice things???

Also, I thought the whole reason Luke was interested in designing non-super suit clothes for Jen was because of the unique demand of needing clothes that would fit both her Jen and She-Hulk bodies. So why was that dress hanging off of her when her friend told her not to be She-Hulk at the wedding? It's not like she managed to find a cute store-bought dress that fits a 7-foot-tall Amazon, 'cause she specifically told Nikki that Luke made it for her. Did he make her one super suit and one lawyer suit with the size-changing material and then just throws in some extra She-Hulk sized pieces that don't alter to fit her body? I get the joke of being yet another way Jen was embarrassed at the wedding, but since this was the first Luke-designed outfit we've actually seen her in, I wanted something cooler.

The Mr. Immortal plot was fun. I'm enjoying the various plots that explore the implications of superpowers on the legal system. Interesting, though, that we got no explanation for Mr. Immortal. Fake Meghan Thee Stallion was a Light Elf and Donny Blaze was a washed-out sorcerer. What's Mr. Immortal's deal?

I'm thinking that Bridezilla was full of it. She was banking on Jen being She-Hulk at the wedding, otherwise Jen's ugly bridesmaid dress wouldn't have been so big. She punked Jen only to be cool with She-Hulk at the reception.

I expected Luke's dress to conform to Jen's body as well. I wonder how many outfits did she get from Luke?

See, Jen needs to get some self-esteem quick, because there is no way anyone would get to insult me to my face if I was a superhero attorney.  When Bridezilla told me not to be She-Hulk, I would have laughed.  Jen should not have ironed anybody's shirts or walked down the aisle with a rat sized dog.  I was going, "Ah Hell NAW!"  Then there is Titania to top off the disrespect.  To be honest, that fight was pretty tame.  I expected more property damage.

Josh, please don't be evil.

Nikki is a great paralegal and a great friend. 

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I really hope that the guy Jen liked at the wedding is really a nice guy and in league with the villains, that would really suck for Jen, she needs a win. Another fun episode, I loved her fourth wall break where she basically laughed about how we're getting a wedding episode instead of follow up with Daredevil after we saw his mask in the last episode, so checky. Jen looked really nice in her dresses, as Jen and as She-Hulk, too bad her friend getting married pretty much sucks. A cash bar? So tacky, especially when the couple didn't seem to be hurting for cash, and it took her about an hour to cheat on her new husband apparently, no wonder Jen hasn't talked to her in awhile. 

I like how they seem to be finding a formula where Jen has to deal with her new life as She-Hulk while the B plot usually involves the rest of the lawyers dealing with some kind of super power based case or something else involving how the prevalence of superhero's is affecting normal life. Its a fun way to add in a lot of jokes and do some world building as the fantastic has become increasingly common place in the MCU at this point. I never expected to see Mr. Immortal on this show, especially this version of him that's a serial spouse who keeps faking his death to get away from his various wives and one husband! 

Titania is so petty that she gets herself an invite to the wedding just to fight Jen, because of course she is. Jameela Jamil continues to have an absolute ball with this roll, especially her delightfully hammy reaction to falling on ice during her fight with Jen. 

This show might be losing its more low key tone soon if the people in the lab are manage to find a way to hurt She-Hulk... 

1 hour ago, kay1864 said:

Anyone else think he was just going to die to get out of paying his legal bill?

I know Mallory got her and Nikki's commission and window repair fees up front. Probably made him give each of his ex spouses their restitution right then and dared him to jump out the window again.

That Intelligencia website? Damn. She-Hulk isn't even real and I felt bad for the Death threats. So incels want to kill She-Hulk just for being a woman. Yuck. The worst part about that is there are real life examples of this... 

• Applause 2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Once again, it's both impressive and sad how accurate the show is with showing what type of reactions and hate She-Hulk would get on the internet.

“Would get”? It’s pretty accurate with showing the same types of reactions and hate the “She-Hulk” programme is currently getting on the internets…

• Applause 4
3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'm thinking that Bridezilla was full of it. She was banking on Jen being She-Hulk at the wedding, otherwise Jen's ugly bridesmaid dress wouldn't have been so big. She punked Jen only to be cool with She-Hulk at the reception.

I think we can take what we saw of that at face value.  No bride would want giant green super-model She-Hulk upstaging her at her own wedding.  After the wedding when she was clearly drunk off her ass., she was more secure and fine with She0Hulk and Jen.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

I think we can take what we saw of that at face value.  No bride would want giant green super-model She-Hulk upstaging her at her own wedding.  After the wedding when she was clearly drunk off her ass., she was more secure and fine with She0Hulk and Jen.

I know she was drunk at the reception; but why was Jen's bridesmaid dress so big? It only looked good when Jen hulked out. Bridezilla was probably thinking that it would be cool to have She-Hulk at the wedding until she saw how popular and awesome She-Hulk was in person.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

and it took her about an hour to cheat on her new husband apparently

Lulu cheated??? I get that she got drunk, but I didn't get that she cheated.

Agreed with being disappointed that dress was supposedly a Luke Jacobsen piece and it didn't do any fancy thing to adjust to the size change.

How did Nikki know to role-play as an incel to sign up for Intelligencia? The external page she went to didn't seem that full of red flags, unlike the members only pages.

I'm fine with the show not having much of a direction so far. It's a difference between a limited series, or even an ongoing one that primarily exists to advance season-long plots, and episodic TV. Now, granted, most of the MCU shows have been limited series that were struggling to also be a bit like episodic TV at the same time, but if they actually want She-Hulk to be a superhero legal procedural/light drama, I'm not mad at it.

On the other hand, this HulkKing thing at the end of the episode does feel like they're kicking up a story arc. Like an episodic show adopting some season-long stuff rather than the other way around.

18 hours ago, paigow said:

Would a Hulk Thunderclap generate enough shockwaves to instantly remove wrinkles?

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

She could rub her hands together and run them down both sides on the shirt at the same time.

Now I'm imaging a post-credit scene for this episode in which Jen as She-Hulk has all the wrinkled groomsmen shirts laid out (maybe on the grass?) and she gently claps over each one--in time to some appropriate music.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Now I'm imaging a post-credit scene for this episode in which Jen as She-Hulk has all the wrinkled groomsmen shirts laid out (maybe on the grass?) and she gently claps over each one--in time to some appropriate music.

The dudes have to be wearing the shirt... She-Hulk slaps each one on the chest and back to remove wrinkles and remind them not to do it again...

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I think Mister Immortal has an incorrect understanding of the law. Regular non super people can have momentary deaths and it doesn’t end their living obligations. Only permanent death does that.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, arc said:

I think Mister Immortal has an incorrect understanding of the law. 

How does he still have Apple shares from the 1980s? If the alias on the brokerage account that made the purchase is "dead", his estate would have been wound up. 

Edited by paigow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, paigow said:

How does he still have Apple shares from the 1980? If the alias on the brokerage account that made the purchase is "dead", his estate would have been wound up. 

I bet he has his aliases thought out one or two in advance and just bequeaths everything to himself.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, arc said:

How did Nikki know to role-play as an incel to sign up for Intelligencia? The external page she went to didn't seem that full of red flags, unlike the members only pages.

It looked like a log-in screen popped up when she clicked on the post. If they wanted to read the posts they to sign up.

I really hope Josh isn't evil. Jen deserves happiness as Jen, and after the shit Lulu pulled, I hope she reevaluates that friendship. 

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

It looked like a log-in screen popped up when she clicked on the post. If they wanted to read the posts they to sign up.

Right, so how did she know it was an incel site and she'd have to go undercover to get approved for an account?

I liked this episode, but I didn't think it was well written. Lulu didn't make any sense. I kept waiting for something to happen as a result of all the wedding cruelty, but there was no real payoff. Titania's barely been on the show and was easily defeated before, so seeing Titania easily taken down at the wedding felt anti-climactic. 

The Nikki/Mallory plot was funny, but they also came across as bad lawyers. Mr. Immortal was their client. They didn't need to like him, but they did need to advocate for him. 

Renee Elise Goldberry has amazing chemistry with her scene partners, and I really thought they were setting up a relationship between Mallory and Nikki. I am too old for shipping so fine, if they're not, they're not. I move on. But I wish they would have paced or staged the scene differently, especially since Nikki's a canon non-straight character. 

Tatiana Maslany is so good at playing drunk. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

The Nikki/Mallory plot was funny, but they also came across as bad lawyers. Mr. Immortal was their client. They didn't need to like him, but they did need to advocate for him. 

I think they did by settling out of court. Mr. Immortal seems to have committed multiple crimes that would have come to light if taken to trial. Spousal abandonment, Child abandonment, Bigamy, and various forms of fraud. I don't don't see how Mr. Immortal could be declared dead if he comes back to life before any "official" person can declare that he died. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think they did by settling out of court. Mr. Immortal seems to have committed multiple crimes that would have come to light if taken to trial. Spousal abandonment, Child abandonment, Bigamy, and various forms of fraud. I don't don't see how Mr. Immortal could be declared dead if he comes back to life before any "official" person can declare that he died. 

But they clearly weren't advocating for the most favorable terms for their client as much as they were for the wives. Honestly, Mr. Immortal seemed like kind of like a dumb ass for not firing them.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I liked this episode, but I didn't think it was well written. Lulu didn't make any sense. I kept waiting for something to happen as a result of all the wedding cruelty, but there was no real payoff. Titania's barely been on the show and was easily defeated before, so seeing Titania easily taken down at the wedding felt anti-climactic. 

Renee Elise Goldberry has amazing chemistry with her scene partners, and I really thought they were setting up a relationship between Mallory and Nikki. I am too old for shipping so fine, if they're not, they're not. I move on. But I wish they would have paced or staged the scene differently, especially since Nikki's a canon non-straight character. 

Tatiana Maslany is so good at playing drunk. 

I got that impression, too, and it came across kind of weird. Like she was excited to get some one on one time with an office superior who she had some personal interest in. I know that kind of office relationship/romance plot is pretty common to the legal comedy/drama genre, even though it would probably cause a lot of HR headaches in this day and age, but it felt kinda odd.

I guess it was supposed to be comedic karma that Mr. Immortal deserved to have 2 women poorly representing his interests in court?

The episode title, "Just Jen," almost makes up for them not having time to point out that Jen's old friend appreciated her as "just Jen," but Jen seems to have definitely reached the point of enjoying the attention she gets as She-Hulk.

2 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

But they clearly weren't advocating for the most favorable terms for their client as much as they were for the wives.

Look, I’m all for having this show shine light on the plight of women in an our world. But this is show just getting ham-handed in it. These lawyers were incredibly negligent in their work and it didn’t show them in a good light They should’ve not taken the case rather than literally colluding with the victims instead of representing Mr. Immortal (who admittedly is a creepy a-hole). But frankly, this is also why I’m fairly certain Josh is going to turn out to be a bad guy. Because why miss another opportunity to show that even nice seeming men are terrible, evil people with ulterior motives all the time?

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess it was supposed to be comedic karma that Mr. Immortal deserved to have 2 women poorly representing his interests in court?

Essentially, this was a Kobayashi Maru scenario. A trial would have been much worse and no judge would have approved 20 seconds of eye contact as a penalty...

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, paigow said:

Essentially, this was a Kobayashi Maru scenario. A trial would have been much worse and no judge would have approved 20 seconds of eye contact as a penalty...

I don't think they actually were representing him poorly. This was obviously, first of all, an all or nothing situation. Either they got all the exes on board, or the settlement wouldn't go through. And Mr. Immortal really seemed like he just wanted the conflict resolved by someone else, which is what he got. Saving money or humiliating the ex isn't what every single person wants. We, for comedic purposes, didn't see him explain his problem, but I can see him also wanting them all to forgive him/not be so angry. And Nicki was definitely making that happen.

I don't think it was showing any of them as "bad" or "evil"--just with different needs. Mr. Immortal clearly gets to a point in each relationship where he can't handle whatever the conflict is, so he gets out. They gave him another exit that would stick, if he agreed, and he wouldn't be ducking the exes any more.

Not everything is about gender and not everything is about showing off who is " winning." Winning varies by who is playing, but as a lawyer, I can tell you that the best results cone when all parties get something out of it. Seems to me that's what they did here.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TimothyQ said:

Look, I’m all for having this show shine light on the plight of women in an our world. But this is show just getting ham-handed in it. These lawyers were incredibly negligent in their work and it didn’t show them in a good light They should’ve not taken the case rather than literally colluding with the victims instead of representing Mr. Immortal (who admittedly is a creepy a-hole). But frankly, this is also why I’m fairly certain Josh is going to turn out to be a bad guy. Because why miss another opportunity to show that even nice seeming men are terrible, evil people with ulterior motives all the time?

Is one of Mr. Immortal's interests staying out of prison?  How about not getting sued into homelessness?  Then Nikki and Mallory perfectly represented his interests.  You get that there was no "win" here.  20 seconds of eye contact beats 20 years in prison for multiple counts of fraud.

One thing to consider is that She-Hulk likely wrapped production several months ago.  And yet it's near-perfectly predicted the "Wahhhh!  The green lady having agency pinches my widdle pee-pee!  Wahhhh!" reaction of all these insecure men.  As an actual grown-the-fuck-up man, I'm fine with this show. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

I am not fine with the show because I don't think it is very funny and the She-Hulk isn't doing superhero stuff. I didn't understand why She-Hulk didn't take the Asgardian construction equipment from the Wrecking Crew if she knew they were doing bad things with it. Maybe at some point in the series the She-Hulk will get in a proper fight and show us what she can really do. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, johntfs said:

Then Nikki and Mallory perfectly represented his interests.  You get that there was no "win" here.  20 seconds of eye contact beats 20 years in prison for multiple counts of fraud.

No, they didn't perfectly represented his issues. Mr. Immortal asked Nikki to work on getting a shorter amount of eye contact for the apology and she raised it instead. That was malicious and bad lawyering.

It's also a deliberate writing choice to show Nikki being annoyed with Mr. Immortal and working against him rather than for him as the main interaction in the scene. I didn't actually get that there was no "win" here because the show didn't take any of the law aspects seriously. Yes, Mallory and Nikki commented that they thought the spouses had a case, but foolishly, I had expected that the point was to show us Mallory being a brilliant lawyer and finding loopholes in the law because it doesn't account for someone having the ability to resurrect after death. 

3 hours ago, johntfs said:

And yet it's near-perfectly predicted the "Wahhhh!  The green lady having agency pinches my widdle pee-pee!  Wahhhh!" reaction of all these insecure men.

It isn't hard to predict that if you insult people, they will react negatively. 

I spent most of my 20s in academia reading, writing, and analyzing how representation in media affects people, primarily from a feminist perspective. I don't think there's some great divide between men and women where women being portrayed as shrews or damsels-in-distress or unambitious helpmeets etc. matters but negative portrayals of men are just ha ha funny. I also don't think we're in a zero sum game on this where improving portrayals of women has to result in negative portrayals of men.

I also think the show has been funniest when it just lets the characters be characters and humor come from that.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

No, they didn't perfectly represented his issues. Mr. Immortal asked Nikki to work on getting a shorter amount of eye contact for the apology and she raised it instead. That was malicious and bad lawyering.

It's also a deliberate writing choice to show Nikki being annoyed with Mr. Immortal and working against him rather than for him as the main interaction in the scene. I didn't actually get that there was no "win" here because the show didn't take any of the law aspects seriously. Yes, Mallory and Nikki commented that they thought the spouses had a case, but foolishly, I had expected that the point was to show us Mallory being a brilliant lawyer and finding loopholes in the law because it doesn't account for someone having the ability to resurrect after death. 

I wonder if this writing of Mallory and Niki doing some lackadaisical lawyering is to be seen in contrast to Jen's stellar lawyering?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if this writing of Mallory and Niki doing some lackadaisical lawyering is to be seen in contrast to Jen's stellar lawyering?

Remember that nobody on the writing staff has experience working on law / lawyer shows. Also, the showrunners have stated that they are not  interested in portraying realistic legal scenarios / solutions.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Zuleikha said:

I don't think there's some great divide between men and women where women being portrayed as shrews or damsels-in-distress or unambitious helpmeets etc. matters but negative portrayals of men are just ha ha funny. I also don't think we're in a zero sum game on this where improving portrayals of women has to result in negative portrayals of men.

Compare the way this show treats gender to, say, Brooklyn 99, where the humor comes from each characters’ human flaws,  but at the same time they’re treated with agency and respect. And yet that show dealt with tough issues without putting others down. Even those on B99 that showed prejudices (thinking of Rosa’s parents, for example) weren’t pushed down. They were shown to be wrong but did it in a way that respected their journey (which in that case did end with them coming around to Rosa’s sexuality). Anyway, back to She-Hulk…

• Love 1